PDA

View Full Version : Winch cable

bucknaked333
04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Its time to replace the old cable and have been looking at the new synthetic lines they got and was wondering if they were worth it. They are double the money but if it makes life a little easier im in. Any one ever use them?

K44
04-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Got one and love it I wouldn't use a steel cable again

Redfrog
04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Has anyone used elevator cable. We got some on the coast years ago and it worked well. The cables are replaced at regular maintenance periods and the used cable was cheap like Borcht. We carried a couple extra lengths for those long drags out of the bush. It was very flexible and stored well.

Anyone try it??/:thinking-006:

ccmckee
04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I would think the elevator cable maybe too thick and you wouldn't get much length on the spool.I was going to get some wire rope for my quad next time around much more flexible then regular steel cable.

vinny
04-04-2011, 06:05 PM

x2

dcutter
04-04-2011, 06:23 PM

X3

I used mine all winter with my snow blade and it still looks like new. I will not be going back to steel.

dumoulin
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
These cables are the ONLY way to go today. One thing though, you should replace them every four-five years. Mine finaly broke, then again I use it for my blade on my Rhino ALL the time and I have used it through skeg and mud big time! Ya, more money but wroth it...try ebay. That's where I bought mine. If you can, gert the 1/4 inch one....

Rockymtnx
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM

X4

deanmc
04-04-2011, 06:52 PM
These cables are the ONLY way to go today. One thing though, you should replace them every four-five years. Mine finaly broke, then again I use it for my blade on my Rhino ALL the time and I have used it through skeg and mud big time! Ya, more money but wroth it...try ebay. That's where I bought mine. If you can, gert the 1/4 inch one....

Do they release energy like a tow strap does when it breaks? Something I have been wondering about. Scares me a bit when I am around one but have to admit that I have never seen one break.

big bore 09
04-04-2011, 07:28 PM

x5 nice thing is you can peel a length off and toss it out instead of dragging out line

lugeboy
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
No they dont spring but I have never had one break yet but remember to carry a towel and wet it or just put it on the rope. It will drop instantly if it snaps. Also my biggest thing I love about the rope IT FLOATS find me a cable that can do that when stuck in the deep waterhole!!!!!!!!!

bucknaked333
04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Sounds like thats what I need, Thanks..:)

dumoulin
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Do they release energy like a tow strap does when it breaks? Something I have been wondering about. Scares me a bit when I am around one but have to admit that I have never seen one break.

From my experience they don't; however, They might if you tense them up quick enough...

artie
04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Was watching a guy out at Maclean Creek last fall having alot of trouble with a synthetic line. It kept breaking when he put it under alot of load. He said it was a brand new winch and line that was a waste of money. I have often watched people trying to winch their quad out of the muck. They get on the machine and try to get the winch pulling. No go. We have better luck getting off the machine and walking beside it when we are trying to winch a machine out. I had my quad stuck in the snow this winter and when I put it in reverse and got off the machine and walked beside it and came right out. Works for me.

redmega
04-06-2011, 09:34 PM

x6 plus i have never got a wiker yet!

dumoulin
04-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Was watching a guy out at Maclean Creek last fall having alot of trouble with a synthetic line. It kept breaking when he put it under alot of load. He said it was a brand new winch and line that was a waste of money. I have often watched people trying to winch their quad out of the muck. They get on the machine and try to get the winch pulling. No go. We have better luck getting off the machine and walking beside it when we are trying to winch a machine out. I had my quad stuck in the snow this winter and when I put it in reverse and got off the machine and walked beside it and came right out. Works for me.

I can't speak for that guy you saw but my line broke because I wore it against the alluminium roof of my rhino winching my buck ... (long story) and then constrantly using it for my blade. That said, it's been on the machine for four years!
Perhaps he was using a 3/8 line..? I have the 1/4 inch line on a 4000lb winch and I have pulled out 1500lb machines.

KBF
04-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Can these winch cable be interchanged between models such as the WARN RT and XT series, the reason I ask is the winches supplied with synthetic rope are quite a bit more than the regular cable would. Could I buy the winch that comes with the cheaper steel cable and in a few years put on the synthetic stuff?

dumoulin
04-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Can these winch cable be interchanged between models such as the WARN RT and XT series, the reason I ask is the winches supplied with synthetic rope are quite a bit more than the regular cable would. Could I buy the winch that comes with the cheaper steel cable and in a few years put on the synthetic stuff?

The XT is a better winch; but you can put a syn. cable on either spools. Quick tip, a 50 foot 1/4 inch syn, cable will not fit properly in a 3000/4000lb Warn. You can order a 40 footer on ebay for cheap & you can get different colours too! Keep the steel winch cable as an extention...if you ever need one. I think that the guy t order from is Warrior...something. Good guy too.

leeaspell
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Wouldnt the 3/8 be stronger than 1/4"?

dumoulin
04-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Wouldnt the 3/8 be stronger than 1/4"?

I mean 3/16:sign0161: (The smaller of the two they will have on hand for ATV/UTV winches.)

Here's the ebay link:

Synthetic 1/4"x40' AmSteel Blue ATV winch cable rope

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Synthetic-1-4-x40-AmSteel-Blue-ATV-winch-cable-rope-/230600841999?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b0e19b0f

JohnB
04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
x6 plus i have never got a wiker yet!

X7

Got mine at Northernmetalic last year; way cheaper then buying the Warn rope at the ATV dealer.