PDA

View Full Version : Boat smart canada will cancel your licence if you dont do their online audit

kokanee83
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Got an email from them saying if i do not complete their online audit a phone audit will follow up 30 days later if i do not do it or fail i loose my card could have sworn i already took the test and passed with flying colors and paid for it WT?. I have no infractions and was only out twice this year on my boat then i sold it. Anyone else get this email

kokanee83
04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
oh sorry i was wrong my supervisor has to do it. The "survey" is for the supervisor of the test if she fails i loose my boat licence still WT? called the 1 800 number seems too many people were cheating and now its kickin them in the azz wonder what the roads would be like if you could take yor drivers licence like this

hillbillyreefer
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
The lakes were fine before licensing. They are fine after. A piece of paper will not fix stupid and never will. It's kind of like gun registration.

thefloormat
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
got my license when I was 16, as soon as the laws came in back in 2000. I was like the 3000th person to get the license, never been asked for it.

209x50
04-04-2011, 02:58 PM
A stupid worthless piece of plastic that is getting all the respect it deserves.

FishingFrenzy
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow... That is right there is more of a joke then the card itself..

Take a retarded test, get a worthless card and now their auditing the supervisors who probably dont even remember it??

WOW!

Okotokian
04-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Clearly a license isn't a guarantee of competence. I think all it is is a method by which boaters are at least required to LOOK at some regulations and safety guidlines ONCE in their lives. Hopefully a little will stick. It's probably not such an issue on our little puddle lakes but how many boaters actually know how to navigate channels, harbours, what to do when approaching another craft, or what various buoys mean? Not many. Most are clueless and would do no study at all before going out and buying that boat if not for the licence requirement. As it is probably 90% is forgotten, but perhaps a little sticks.. Worth the effort? I'm not sure frankly. Hopefully the government doesn't spend much on the process, but I'm not willing to put money on that one.

Slash8
04-04-2011, 03:29 PM
You can't teach experience, just because you give someone a stupid card doesn't mean they are going to be good at it.

jungleboy
04-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I think what started the boat licence thing was the jet ski guys that get out there and cause mayhem (not all but the same few that seem to always ruin the party for everyone else)I think its dumb for a licence to be needed for a dinghy and an electric motor though.

Coldone
04-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Ya.. Still ****es me off that MY license could be cancelled because I followed the rules THEY set up.. and yes WE did follow them.. but if my Supervisor changes addresses, changes email addresses, leaves the province.. or just doesn't respond to their request. Wham.. I lose my license.. Grrr..

I got the online Quiz.. I responded to it and I passed.. so the people I supervised don't have any worries about their license being revoked.. but me... I don't know if the guy is still around.. hafta make some calls I guess..

GeoTrekr
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Ya.. Still ****es me off that MY license could be cancelled because I followed the rules THEY set up.. and yes WE did follow them.. but if my Supervisor changes addresses, changes email addresses, leaves the province.. or just doesn't respond to their request. Wham.. I lose my license.. Grrr..

I got the online Quiz.. I responded to it and I passed.. so the people I supervised don't have any worries about their license being revoked.. but me... I don't know if the guy is still around.. hafta make some calls I guess..

What are the contents of the quiz you had to fill out? You can answer generally if you feel it's more appropriate, but I'm just curious how they can 'audit' an online test that an unscrupulous tester/testee pair might have cheated on...

Man this whole thing is asinine. I thought it then, and I think it now, but I still have my card (from years ago) just in case (I don't even have a boat, but I got it in case they upped the cost (check), made it more difficult to obtain (check) or they found a way to make it even MORE stupid (check)).

Glad I took it though in case I ever need to navigate around all those sailboats and buoys in Upper Kananaskis Lake...

Coldone
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Questions included things like.. Were you drinking? At your house or there's? Was it at an event? Did they use any references? Did they question anyone else other than the supervisor? Think that was it.. Only 8 questions and a reminder that this is legal document blah blah blah.

Thing that irks me is if I had of cheated.. Why wouldn't I just lie about those as well? Bah..

thenaturalwoodsman
04-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Got an email from them saying if i do not complete their online audit a phone audit will follow up 30 days later if i do not do it or fail i loose my card could have sworn i already took the test and passed with flying colors and paid for it WT?. I have no infractions and was only out twice this year on my boat then i sold it. Anyone else get this email

Maybe this is an APRIL FOOLS DAY JOKE on you, as near as I can tell, Beginning April 15, 2011 Online exams will no longer have to be supervised and can be completed from any internet connection including the candidate’s private residence.

Either way if you have your card in your hands it says right on the site that a Pleasure Craft Operator Card cannot be revoked or suspended and once obtained, the card is good for life.

Happy Late April Fools??????????

woodsman

Coldone
04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Nope.. I called today to make sure my email was correct in their system and... The email is real and correct..

slam
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Either way if you have your card in your hands it says right on the site that a Pleasure Craft Operator Card cannot be revoked or suspended and once obtained, the card is good for life.

woodsman

Even though the Pleasure Craft Operator Card is now supposed to be "good for life", I wouldn't count on it. My WIN card when issued was supposed to be good for life as well and now is on a 5 year renewal.

Now that most operators have a license the companies that run the program have to find a way to keep revenues coming in. Issuing renewals would do that. After all, firearm licenses need to be renewed, drivers licenses need to be renewed.

AbAngler
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Grrr indeed. My supervisor has moved, has a different phone number and a different email address. Is my license toast?

Fisherpeak
04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Well,I for one feel a lot safer now that I have the license while I operate my 10 foot boat equipped with a mighty 30 .lb thrust electric at speeds of up to 4 hair raising miles an hour.

mooseknuckle
04-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Well,I for one feel a lot safer now that I have the license while I operate my 10 foot boat equipped with a mighty 30 .lb thrust electric at speeds of up to 4 hair raising miles an hour.

LOL yeah talk about a recipe for disaster hey?

AbAngler
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I did mine through boater exam. I wonder if they are both doing it?

redranger15
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I took my test years ago at a boat show. You got to take the test and if you passed you payed and got your card. Great, the only problem was they didn't tell me which questions I had wrong or the right answers. I knew right there it was all a loke.

209x50
04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Who would know if it was cancelled? Has anyone ever had the card looked at and have the officer phone to check it validity? No I didn't think so.