PDA

View Full Version : HP Restricted Lakes

Ace
04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I've been trying to search the old formums for a list of AB lakes that have the 10 HP restriction, but can't seem to find it. Does anybody know where I can find a site that lists them?

I got an inflateable and I'm trying to decide what size of motor to put on it. It's likely either a 15/20 HP or a 9.9 HP. I'm not sure if the big downsize in motor will be worth it if I won't go to any of the HP restricted lakes.

Thanks
Ace

billie
04-04-2011, 11:25 AM
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2008-120/

Takes a bit of looking but they should all be listed here. A friend has a 9.9 on his inflatable and it is disappointing with 2 people aboard. I'm going 20 on mine since riding in his.

Ace
04-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the link. For some reason I thought some lakes had a 10 hp maximum, but it doesn't look like it.

From that website it looks like they're either electric/power restricted or speed restricted. It doesn't look like any of the lakes are HP limited.

Is this correct.

Thanks
Ace

nicemustang
04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
You must be from SK. There were (I don't think anymore these days) that were restricted, now with the electric trolling motors they've removed that restriction. So it's either electric only or normal.

tacklerunner
04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
BC has a few lakes that have HP retrictions on them too. Funny that there are so many topics where BC and SASK do things similarly and AB is totally different. Makes you wonder....:thinking-006: Ok, let's not go there again.

mustard73
04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
A lot of 10 and 15 horse motors are the same except carb and exhaust. Just take 15hp stickers off and no one will no except you. I really doubt a CO is gonna look at the model or serial number on the motor unless you really pi$$ em off.

SonnyJ
04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2008-120/

Takes a bit of looking but they should all be listed here. A friend has a 9.9 on his inflatable and it is disappointing with 2 people aboard. I'm going 20 on mine since riding in his.

Thanks for the link but......wow.there sure are a lot of lakes out there with a 12km/h speed limit.It just don't make sence to me..12km.h???

Daceminnow
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the link but......wow.there sure are a lot of lakes out there with a 12km/h speed limit.It just don't make sence to me..12km.h???

keeps all my relatives from blasting around the water pulling kids at mach 1, leaving an unwanted walleye chop.

billie
04-05-2011, 08:20 PM

A lot of them are "as indicated by signs" which are usually small speed controlled zones, like playground zones on a lake:). They'll be around docks and areas of conjestion but the bulk of the lake is generally not restricted.