PDA

View Full Version : Utikuma Lake

wapiti11
04-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Anyone been to Utikuma lately? What is the access like and can one drive on the ice now or is overflow a problem? What is the fishing like?
wapiti

ice
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
From what I've been reading is that there could possibly be alot of snow and if it's been as warm there as it's been here off to the northeast the ice is probably full of water, don't take my word for it the I only fished it once this year at the beggining of the winter, my only fishing trip glAd I got an 8 pound pike out of her tho

timsesink
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
My freinds were just up there and did pretty good, lots of keeper pike and walleye, however unles you have a sled it's walk on only due the extreme amount of soft snow everywhere. Good luck!

crown royal 17
04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Was there Saturday and Sunday caught a few Walleye and a lot of Pike drove around both days with my 4x4 truck.The road going in on km80 was muddy.

topgun
04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
was there fri and sat caught 4 walleyes and a million pike biggest was 9lbs trucks will have zero problem driving on as sat there was about 40 of them in various spots quads and sleds no problem either ice is approx 30+ inches or to the gear box on my jiffy in most spots good luck if go

wapiti11
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the good info; planning on heading to Utikuma this coming weekend will post a report when I get back.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/icons/icon7.gif
wapiti11

Stuarty
04-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I am heading up there on Sunday but taking the sleds just in case. Should be a great weekend.

coorslight
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
dad went this weekend on walleye on burbot and a bunch of smaller jack fish 5 6 pounds lots of flood water drove on but could go anywhere

kingerna
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Never been to Utikuma myself,going tomorrow. Previous reports have indicated the trucks were only making it out 1000 yards? So we will take the sleds to be safe also.. Just wondering if anybody could tell me if the lease roads are ok to drive in with a large trailer? Thanks in advance.

hogsmoker
04-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Going to head out on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Has anyone tryied to fish the bay on km 86. If I can make it to the small island that is were I'm going to start off. I would take it 81 km is a mud hole with this weather.

topgun
04-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey fellas ya km 80 is gettin fairly mucky guys were parkin on lease a half mile from lake was there fri sat lotsa of pick ups out and quads and sleds with a 4x4 u can readily drive anywhere on the lake fished east side of island and south of km 80 in south bays 4 walleyes no perch and numerous pike which island are you trying to get to? the one from 80 straight out is an easy drive the far sw island had no tracks headed there at least from km 80 side good luck

FisherPotch
04-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Heading out early am Sunday.
Got a report from a buddy who limited on perch and eyes plus a nice pike.

Any thurs or Friday reports? I'd imagine muddy road, thick ice, 4x4 should do?

I'll b in a black explorer if anyone wants to say hi, pop by for a pop :)

mooseman1
04-09-2011, 12:49 PM
planning on going next week some time ,any more info would be great

steve
04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Conditions must have gotten better after some melting, 10 days ago a truck couldnt break new trail. 4x4 with good tires couldnt go anywhere.

FisherPotch
04-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Conditions must have gotten better after some melting, 10 days ago a truck couldnt break new trail. 4x4 with good tires couldnt go anywhere.

What kinda truck?? ;) jk

From what I was seeing with other lakes that's exactly what Happend, snow melted down. I was hoping for it because lots of people were saying to bring the sled.

FYI TO ALL: mud n dirt are getting on the lake at access points. Use extreme caution in upcoming weeks as the mud n dirt will eat the ice qwik. From my understanding should be ok for next week or so though depending on how much heat/sun we get.

steve
04-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Heading out early am Sunday.
Got a report from a buddy who limited on perch and eyes plus a nice pike.

Any thurs or Friday reports? I'd imagine muddy road, thick ice, 4x4 should do?

I'll b in a black explorer if anyone wants to say hi, pop by for a pop :)

did your buddy go on from KM86?

FisherPotch
04-09-2011, 03:42 PM
He used 80

kingerna
04-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Was out this past wednesday. Took the sleds to be sure as previous reports were not good but on that day there were about 10 trucks. Most of where we fished looked ok(closest island)...some wet areas later in the day..too warm for me. Checked km 80 and looked a little too muddy for me with the trailer so we parked at km 86. First time there, 4 of us went caught 10 jack 3 perch and 1 wally. Good luck.

FisherPotch
04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I can't believe there is 3G Internet on this lake.

Went on at 80. Road is bad towards the end.

Lots of small pike so far. Enough to keep a guy entertained. Had a light bite that may have been an eye. On for a second or too but wasn't behaving like a pike.

Went west of island on south side. Worked a few depths, lots of shrimp down there. A milky layer in the water too not sure if it's turning over or sum sorta thermocline. I've worked my way to the north west end of the island now. Crashed here last night

There's a heave going east/west, west of the big island

mooseman1
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
planning on comin tomorrow ,any eyes @ 86? or are they @ 80 by the island?
where are the perch @ now?
see ya tomorrow

steve
04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Anyone else make it out? How'd you do?

Can a guy sled around easy or is floodwater a issue?

wapiti11
04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Utikuma Lake
Was out on Sunday and Monday and drove two 4x4's around the lake looking for walleye. No luck, caught our limit of pike. Access on 81 is impossible! and access at 86 is getting bad! Quads and sleds will still get you around, but watch out for overflow areas.

perchfinder
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
made it there monday, km 80 rutted and greasy, 4x4 needed. ice deteriating near shore, wouldnt advise going with a truck anymore. lots of eyes and huge pike. had 1 that i could hardly pull up, then of course it broke the line! another snapped my fishing rod and line again. snow is pretty much all gone. good luck.

DOGFISH
04-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Wapiti11 A few of us would like to head out there tomorrow, but there is conflicting reviews on the use of trucks . Could you confirm. Thanks in advance.

mooseman1
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
to bad my trip got canned ,we had lot's of snow here so the roads are bad, suck's, hope the rest of you get the fish:budo:

wapiti11
04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Dogfish;
Unless you can find a lake access other than 81 or 86, I would not recommend trying to get on the lake at these sites with a truck. There is about 3 ft of open water at 81 and there are some deep holes and ruts on 86. Once on the lake you have to watch out for areas of overflow and ice over the overflow. We got into one of these spots and got hung up on the ice and we needed chains to back out of this type of area on the lake. I would strongly recommend using a ATV to get on and travel the lake after yesterday.
Good luck!

steve
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the update guys, would you say quad or sled from now. I could bring either or.

FisherPotch
04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
I went on at 80 on Sunday and off Monday night round 8pm. Not for the faint at heart. It's getting bad. I recommend not to go on at 80 with a truck unless well prepaired, and even then its crazy. The lake was easy travel but the ice is looking sketchy in sum places especially at 80.

I only managed pike but lots of them. best at about 7 lbs but mostly small 2 pounders. saw a couple whites on the cam west of the island. Musta fished in 20 spots trying to get on them (perch/eyes). It got to the point where i was putting extra time into the places were the pike were not. Had five pike on the camera at one point. NOT what I went to Utikima for but made for some entertainment.

wapiti11
04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
We saw a Quad with tracks and he could go anywhere, I would probably take your 4x4 Quad.

perchfinder
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I went on at 80 on Sunday and off Monday night round 8pm. Not for the faint at heart. It's getting bad. I recommend not to go on at 80 with a truck unless well prepaired, and even then its crazy. The lake was easy travel but the ice is looking sketchy in sum places especially at 80.

I only managed pike but lots of them. best at about 7 lbs but mostly small 2 pounders. saw a couple whites on the cam west of the island. Musta fished in 20 spots trying to get on them (perch/eyes). It got to the point where i was putting extra time into the places were the pike were not. Had five pike on the camera at one point. NOT what I went to Utikima for but made for some entertainment.

i should have left you my lucky hook! are you going back out there again? :scared0018:

DOGFISH
04-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys that info really helps with my decision.:shark:

steve
04-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys that info really helps with my decision.:shark:

Hopefully it did.. A pile a first hand recent info from guys that aren't afraid to share a little.

Thx boys

Stuarty
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Is the lake still accessible with a sled? We are heading up on Saturday but have 4 x 4 truck or sleds, no quads. Were intending to head on at 86.

perchfinder
04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Is the lake still accessible with a sled? We are heading up on Saturday but have 4 x 4 truck or sleds, no quads. Were intending to head on at 86.

it was still accessible as of monday at km 80, might get just a little wet for first 100 feet, not much snow on the lake though and probably throughout the week the wind made it a skating rink. careful for some flood water hidden under a thin crust of ice in various spots, also dark grey spots looked unsafe, and hit a couple of holes 10" deep where trucks must have been parked. went on with a 4x4 diesel truck but at the end of the day we decided thats just crazy!

Stuarty
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
it was still accessible as of monday at km 80, might get just a little wet for first 100 feet, not much snow on the lake though and probably throughout the week the wind made it a skating rink. careful for some flood water hidden under a thin crust of ice in various spots, also dark grey spots looked unsafe, and hit a couple of holes 10" deep where trucks must have been parked. went on with a 4x4 diesel truck but at the end of the day we decided thats just crazy!

Thanks. Sounds like skating about on the sleds will be our only option. Hope the fish turn up.

Stuarty
04-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Was there yesterday. Access from 86 was fine. Weather was great, ice was thick and the walleye showed up. We didn't travel far from 86, so I don't know if there were vehicles on the ice further south, we were on sleds and most others were on quads. We limited out on walleye and some nice jacks about as well.

perchfinder
04-18-2011, 08:49 PM
nice to hear! might have to give er another go this week!

ice
04-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Was there on sunday access at 86 was good for a sled or atv, we used an atv I wouldn't go on with a vehiclel went to the north side of the small island, limited out on pike, tons of ice, went back to 86 at around 1 for some eyes. Managed to pull out 1 and 2 ou 3 hammer handle pike, left at 3, good day nonetheless would of liked to get a few more eyes tho.

perchfinder
04-24-2011, 10:55 AM
was there on saturday, access at 86 should still be ok for next few days with a quad, alot of ice still out there. lots of action!