PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale sports Grande Prairie

Torquil
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Just wanted everyone to know I am working behind the gun counter at Wholesale Sports in Grande Prairie.
Please feel free to stop by for a chat
Torquil
(my real Name)

Roughneck71
04-05-2011, 06:53 PM
ill be in prob. friday with my 3 year old daughter..looking at 22s
Darrell

Arn?Narn.
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Just wanted everyone to know I am working behind the gun counter at Wholesale Sports in Grande Prairie.
Please feel free to stop by for a chat
Torquil
(my real Name)

Good luck....:scared:

Torquil
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
ill be in prob. friday with my 3 year old daughter..looking at 22s
Darrell

Hey Darrel
I am off on friday LOL

Torquil
04-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Good luck....:scared:

hey Man
I should have added I have worked as a guide in the Yukon and Alberta and i am also a gunsmith.
not your average Wholesale Sports employee

made me chuckle though LOL
Pleaseure to meet You

Twisted Canuck
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey Torquil, don't mind Mike now, he's a good feller!:)

And we met the other day, from our brief talk I suspect you have some smarts about you....So welcome!

Torquil
04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Hey Torquil, don't mind Mike now, he's a good feller!:)

And we met the other day, from our brief talk I suspect you have some smarts about you....So welcome!

thank You
I owe You shot of good 25 year old scotch
for that comment :)

TUFFBUFF
04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
hey Man
I should have added I have worked as a guide in the Yukon and Alberta and i am also a gunsmith.

Pleaseure to meet You

Are you the grey bearded fella ? if your a 'smith got a scope job for ya.

Torquil
04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Are you the grey bearded fella ? if your a 'smith got a scope job for ya.

thats me
used to be a red beard.
scopes no problem

Arn?Narn.
04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
hey Man

Pleaseure to meet You

No, take it for what it's worth....

I know a few of the guys behind the counter...

You've been a gunsmith and a guide..."not your typical Wholesale Sports Employee" to use your own words.
So what is a "typical" Wholesale Sports Employee ? :)

Good luck wasn't meant to be insulting,...but there are some politics at that store that aren't worth the breath that voice the words...

That is all...best of :)luck!

Twisted Canuck
04-08-2011, 06:06 PM
thank You
I owe You shot of good 25 year old scotch
for that comment :)

I'll hold you to that, be warned! I'm off to a whisky tasting in 10 minutes down at Vintage with some friends. I realllly like my whisky, my friend! Just ask Arn!

Torquil
04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
No, take it for what it's worth....

I know a few of the guys behind the counter...

You've been a gunsmith and a guide..."not your typical Wholesale Sports Employee" to use your own words.
So what is a "typical" Wholesale Sports Employee ? :)

Good luck wasn't meant to be insulting,...but there are some politics at that store that aren't worth the breath that voice the words...

That is all...best of :)luck!

Sorry to come accross that way
I am known for my dry British humour
Monty Python Style (I am originally from Scotland).I Should have said "steriotypical Wholesale Sports employee"

I myself have had no problems with the stores in Calgary and Edmonton and didnt go to the GP store much before i worked there but I read a lot of negative comments on certain forums hence the comment.
as for politics they are everywhere..but 15 years in the Oilfield have prepared me for politics office and otherwise.

thanks again for wishing me luck and a great pleaseure to meet You
Torquil

Torquil
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I'll hold you to that, be warned! I'm off to a whisky tasting in 10 minutes down at Vintage with some friends. I realllly like my whisky, my friend! Just ask Arn!

Another thing we have in common

Twisted Canuck
04-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Just got back Torquil, and of the numerous whiskys we tried this evening, my favorites by far were the 18 yr old Highland Park, and the 21 yr old Balvenie....sublime!:) At the end of the night though, I had to buy a bottle of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask for anyone to try (everyone did)....and I got comments from 'Very nice' to 'Old dirty socks'!:) All good, as I got to bring home 3/4 of the bottle for my own selfish purposes!

Albertadiver
04-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Twisted, remind me one of these days to pm you for advice on whiskey advice. I'm just getting into scotch...

Twisted Canuck
04-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Twisted, remind me one of these days to pm you for advice on whiskey advice. I'm just getting into scotch...

Anytime AD, but by the time I am done advising you it will have cost you a small fortune! Luckily, you will have enjoyed yourself hugely while imbibing on the various fine malts I will happily recommend. Looking for a good place to start? Glenmorangie, Nectar D'or.....I talked Arn?Narn! into it, he PM that he got a bottle tonight to try. We'll have to ask him how he liked it, but it is fine fine fine! (Notice I didn't say cheap....)

Albertadiver
04-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Anytime AD, but by the time I am done advising you it will have cost you a small fortune! Luckily, you will have enjoyed yourself hugely while imbibing on the various fine malts I will happily recommend. Looking for a good place to start? Glenmorangie, Nectar D'or.....I talked Arn?Narn! into it, he PM that he got a bottle tonight to try. We'll have to ask him how he liked it, but it is fine fine fine! (Notice I didn't say cheap....)

I've tried a few nice scotches, and was given this bottle in December. I think it's a good one so scared to open it.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG00111-20110408-2259.jpg

I'd like to start to develop a collection, but scared I'll like it too much and it will all dissapear!

Twisted Canuck
04-08-2011, 11:16 PM
No AD, that bottle is sure to be crap. The best thing you can do with that is very carefully package it up, and ship it to me as soon as possible. I'll PM my particulars to you.......:sHa_shakeshout:

Honestly, the best thing about a collection is having a dozen or so bottles on hand to try now and then. The point is to drink them, but I have 'special bottles' that I have had for over 4 years, and still have a couple drams left. I always keep a few bottles of my 'favorite old standby daily drinkers', which keeps me from the special bottles, except on special occasion. For instance, my 'daily drinkers':

12 yr Old Bowmore (my all time favorite finish, I think)
12 yr old Balvenie Doublewood. Alway have one of these around.
12 yr old Glenlivet. A nice 'starter' whisky which I quite enjoy, and which I can serve to pretty much anybody without them making a face.
12 yr old Macallan. Any Macallan is good, the older the greater.
Glenmorangie. I have 4 going at the moment, The Original, Quinta Ruban (yum!) Lasanta, and Necar D'or.

My 'special bottles'.

14 yr old Scapa (you can't get this one anymore, I scored a bottle with a half inch of dust on it, but the 12 is good, 16 is awesome)
14 yr old Oban. Lovely!
18 yr Highland Park
15 yr Springbank
18 yr Bowmore
18 yr Macallan.

I have a short list of about 4 'specials' I want to add as the budget permits, but find this system works well for me. Daily drinkers won't bankrupt you, while the special ones will last according to your self control. This way I can control when 'Christmas' comes....!:)

Torquil
04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Just got back Torquil, and of the numerous whiskys we tried this evening, my favorites by far were the 18 yr old Highland Park, and the 21 yr old Balvenie....sublime!:) At the end of the night though, I had to buy a bottle of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask for anyone to try (everyone did)....and I got comments from 'Very nice' to 'Old dirty socks'!:) All good, as I got to bring home 3/4 of the bottle for my own selfish purposes!

I like Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Very iodine tasteing
My favourite is Lagavulin 16 year old .Very smoky, iodine- flavoured .
but then again i have never met a good scotch that i didnt like.

and remember no matter what the label says
if it`s blended it` ****e

Arn?Narn.
04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I like Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Very iodine tasteing
My favourite is Lagavulin 16 year old .Very smoky, iodine- flavoured .
but then again i have never met a good scotch that i didnt like.

and remember no matter what the label says
if it`s blended it` ****e

Can't go Laphroaig at all...well I can appreciate it, but it'snot my taste.
I'mon a bottleof Glenmorangie Nectar d'or right now, and It is very nice... but a tad sweet for me.. but not enough forme to complain.

My staple is Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood...

12 yr old Macallan is right on my taste as is Glenmorangie Original...Signet is a favourite...

Was just talking to Twisted and he's at the gunshow in Dawson Creek ....looking forsome brass for me along the way :sHa_shakeshout:

gpgriz
04-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm rather annoyed at you three carrying on about scotch whisky tasting in GP!!!

I madly wish I had known about it!!! I would have tried really hard to come down.

Did they have any lagavulin?

How does one find about these tastings?

Like Torquil...I too am a Scot and would enjoy trying some different nectar.

Torquil
04-09-2011, 04:13 PM
well I didnt make it to either the whisky tasting or the gun show..now I have to think of somethig really special to do

Twisted Canuck
04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm rather annoyed at you three carrying on about scotch whisky tasting in GP!!!

I madly wish I had known about it!!! I would have tried really hard to come down.

Well don't feel too bad, they didn't have any Lagavullin to taste (or any Islay for that matter)....just a few really nice malts, and a couple rye whiskeys, a couple bourbons (I don't care for bourbon)....Biggest surprise for me was the Indian Amrut, Intermediate Sherry.....very interesting, lots of complex flavours in that one (candy notes: toffee, caramel, licorice/anise?) I could have fun with that one, who knew they could make whisky in India?

The way to find out about these tastings is to get on their newsletter list, they email it out monthly I think.....go down to Vintage Wine & Spirits, talk to Scott. He'll line you up~!

npbra
04-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Hate to break this too you guys, but I got it from a very reliable source that Iggy is a scotch drinker as well. Least that is what my uncles nephews wifes brother-in-law from the side of the family that no one talks to said.

Twisted Canuck
04-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Hate to break this too you guys, but I got it from a very reliable source that Iggy is a scotch drinker as well. Least that is what my uncles nephews wifes brother-in-law from the side of the family that no one talks to said.

I always knew Jarome Iginla was a classy guy!:)

Arn?Narn.
04-09-2011, 09:57 PM

My crew come from Dundee... have a lot of family still there. Thisis what happens when 6 brothers from Newfoundland go to war. 3 bring back wives, 3 stay over there...lol

You'll have to come down next year for Robbie Burn Day... always a good time.

Here's tae us -
Wha's like us -
Damn few -
And they're a' deid -
Mairs the pity!

gpgriz
04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks gents.

I'll be sure to get on the mailing list.