PDA

View Full Version : Need a junior Geologist? Or other oilfield labour

Okotokian
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Got a son graduating from U of A Geology and hitting the job market, which seems extremely tight for new geology grads right now. He's beating the bushes hard for employment himself but I thought I'd check here with you guys. He's a good kid, hard working, independent, former infantry reservist. Has worked in the Yukon, not afraid of getting dirty or roughing it. Anyone know any leads?

Barring landing a geology job he'd definitely be up for getting other employment in the patch for the experience. Let me know if you have any leads. Thanks.

BallCoeff.435
04-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Got a son graduating from U of A Geology and hitting the job market, which seems extremely tight for new geology grads right now. He's beating the bushes hard for employment himself but I thought I'd check here with you guys. He's a good kid, hard working, independent, former infantry reservist. Has worked in the Yukon, not afraid of getting dirty or roughing it. Anyone know any leads?

Barring landing a geology job he'd definitely be up for getting other employment in the patch for the experience. Let me know if you have any leads. Thanks.

Part of a roughie's job on a rig is taking samples underneath the shale shaker for the site geologist and packing gel. Part of the derrick hands job is looking after the mud/circ system and doing mud tests. Might be a real good idea for him to get into rig work through the main office saying he wants to do typical jobs but concentrating a little more on the geology type work. Just an idea.

Arctic
04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
I'd suggest looking at the diamond mines in the NWT and the junior exploration companies, expecially for summer work to get a foot in the door.

dgl1948
04-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Do not rule out the oil companies in the Estevan/ Weyburn Sask areas. They are going strong and have trouble getting enough guys to keep all the rigs going.

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 07:51 AM

For some reason Oko I would have never thought you were old enough to have a kid graduating university......

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Part of a roughie's job on a rig is taking samples underneath the shale shaker for the site geologist and packing gel. Part of the derrick hands job is looking after the mud/circ system and doing mud tests. Might be a real good idea for him to get into rig work through the main office saying he wants to do typical jobs but concentrating a little more on the geology type work. Just an idea.

Agreed. Personally I think it would be very good experience, and give him a little more credibility with crews later if he has done a bit of their work before.

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 08:46 AM
For some reason Oko I would have never thought you were old enough to have a kid graduating university......

LOL I'm on the downhill side of 50.