PDA

View Full Version : looking for a recipe / heart !!

alittlej
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
getting towards the bottom of our freezer and i have found 2 deer hearts that i would like to do up in a slow cooker.
anyone with some good recipe for heart, i am wanting to try something new

Redfrog
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
I use a pressure cooker but it works the same just takes longer in the slow cooker.

Cut the heart into strips and take out the veins in the cavity. Shake in a ziplock with some seasoning and flour and brown in a frying pan.Remove from pan to the cooker.
I then fry onions , celery, peppers and stew veggies [carrots, potatoes, turnip] in some olive oil for a few minutes. I do this because a chef once told me that the vegies need to get to 450 F to release the flavor oils they hold. Add to the cooker. Add some liquid...beer...wine..or a half cup of Yukon Jack and slow cook till the meat is sooo tender. You may have to add liquid as it cooks.

When it is done I use corn starch to thicken if needed.

I also stuff them sometimes. Any bird stuffing will work. Rice and Apples, Bread and poultry seasoning with celery. Brown the hearts, stuff, cover and roast at 250F till tender. a couple hours.

Mike_W
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Never had or cooked it myself but I have heard of stuffing the veins with garlic and herbs with butter.
Heart would pair nicely with thyme salt pepper and slow cooked with onions carrorts and celery.

Dang I should try that instead of giving it to the dogs as a treat.

Mike

Sporty
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
My mom used to make a stuffed heart roast and called it Mocked Duck. She'd butterfly the heart into a big flat piece. Stuff it with bread stuffing and then roast. Was one of my fave meals. Heart also makes fantastic soup like beef barley with heart in place of the beef. Adds a wonderful richness to the broth and many people can't tell that it is heart instead of beef when I make it.

BEL
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I have tried heart several ways and my family and I prefer stuffing. Using a very sharp knife hollow out the cavity by taking out the valves and chamber walls which are fibrous in nature. Prior to this you can soak in milk, I don't.
As far as the veins and arteries, you can squeeze out the excess blood, clots, etc. No need to cut them out. Stuff it with rice, etc. Next I apply seasoned flour and brown (vegetable oil) all sides in a Dutch oven type of pot. Something you can use for browning then pop it right into the oven. I add some onions and garlic cloves also. The next portion of my recipe I can't remember and unfortunatly I am in Texas till tomorrow afternoon. Once done roasting I make a great tomato based sauce/gravy with the drippings. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to get you all hungry then let you down so hard. LOL. If you wish I can post the recipe tomorrow night for future use. BEL

HunterDave
04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
My deer hearts don't make it to the freezer.........lol! I just cut the heart in strips and cut the vein/arteries off of the pieces. Fry the pieces up in garlic butter on medium heat and season to taste. Simple, fast and delicious! :tongue0017:

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
My deer hearts don't make it to the freezer.........lol! I just cut the heart in strips and cut the vein/arteries off of the pieces. Fry the pieces up in garlic butter on medium heat and season to taste. Simple, fast and delicious! :tongue0017:

How do you cook them to medium? ....does heart get tough if its cooked to well?

HunterDave
04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
How do you cook them to medium? ....does heart get tough if its cooked to well?

Mike, I cook them on medium heat until the pieces are cooked through. If you do it on high like a steak it just sears the outside of the meat. Heart is between liver and steak in texture so I find that cooking it on a medium/low heat more slowly works out best. You aren't locking in any juices so cutting a piece to see if it is cooked through doesn't matter. Just don't mark the bottom of your wife's best frying pan.......lol! Yes, heart does get tougher the more that it is cooked but it still tastes good...........just a little chewier.

Arn Narn posted about eating the tongues and I tried one this year. It was great and all of my tongues are coming out from now on!