PDA

View Full Version : legal weight on 3/4 truck for b.c

rem300wsm
04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
well i still have not found what i am looking for, with a 2007 dodge 3/4 hemi 2 09 arctic cat m8s gas 2 people and a sled deck, my truck gvrw is 8800 and the truck weighs 6620 so am i over if i cross the boarder in to b.c or should i stay away from there. , how could i make it better thanks

eastcoast
04-05-2011, 05:05 PM
well i still have not found what i am looking for, with a 2007 dodge 3/4 hemi 2 09 arctic cat m8s gas 2 people and a sled deck, my truck gvrw is 8800 and the truck weighs 6620 so am i over if i cross the boarder in to b.c or should i stay away from there. , how could i make it better thanks

if the gvrw is 8800 and you are 6620 you are fine, only when you go over the gvrw they will give you ****, and if it's a personal vehicle you don't have to stop at the scales anyways.

rem300wsm
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM
if the gvrw is 8800 and you are 6620 you are fine, only when you go over the gvrw they will give you ****, and if it's a personal vehicle you don't have to stop at the scales anyways.

thanks

Sooner
04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
You dont have to stop at the scales but I heard the highway patrol does cruize parking lots, gas stations and hotels to see whats there. If they suspect, they make you go to the scale and weigh you. I have heard of guys having to unload a sled, drive to the ab border, drop off that sled and come back for the other sled. No one I know has been harrassed but I have heard they do check. You could buy 2 3500 emblems and change them

Dylan
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Question 16 should answer it, if i understand the question correctly,

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/faqs.htm

(16)

How big can my pick-up camper or RV trailer be on my ½, ¾, or 1 tonne pickup be? Do I need brakes? Do I need a special driver’s license?

The camper, when loaded on to the pickup or when you tow a trailer behind the pickup, can not exceed the manufacturer “Gross Vehicle Weight Rating” (GVWR) or the “Gross Axle Weight Rating” (GAWR). The ratings can be found on the driver’s side door post.

Straight from the source, if thats helpful at all.

ishootbambi
04-05-2011, 10:26 PM

rem.....we told you what to do a few days ago. you are going to have to load up everything you plan to take and go across the scale. put on the deck and the sleds and your gear and go find out if you are legal.

Got Juice?
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM
rem.....we told you what to do a few days ago. you are going to have to load up everything you plan to take and go across the scale. put on the deck and the sleds and your gear and go find out if you are legal.

X2 Without knowing your base TARE weight, even the door sticker means didlly squat.

Weight your truck with a FULL TANK of fuel. Add the weight of your friends and you to that number.

That will give you your all up weight.

Then weigh your sleds and deck together. Go get weighed at a transfer station. Their scales are calibrated twice yearly do they are accurate and it is free.

To make weight, buy fuel in BC. fuel is heavy. Make sure the sleds and gerry cans are empty until you are going to your destination. Then when you get there, fill everything up.

It all adds up.

Rockymtnx
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I think the boys above me pretty much told ya what you need to do.
Weigh it and see what your total weight is. If you exceed your GVW, you are SOL.
Same answers as what we said last week. ;)

bigbadbrown
04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Your sled's weight 500 pounds each.
Each liter of fuel is 1kg. It takes 100L to fill the sleds.
So thats 220 pounds of fuel. Plus however much to take in jerry cans.
Then say you each have 50 pounds of gear.
two people in the truck would add roughly 500

now lets add it all up
sleds-1000
fuel-440
gear-100
passangers-500
Etc-100
2140pounds

I found online that max payload is 2450 for an 06.
So you might be pretty close.

coreya3212
04-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Gasoline weighs about 0.739 kg/L, so about 163 pounds per 100 L. :)

eastcoast
04-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Gasoline weighs about 0.739 kg/L, so about 163 pounds per 100 L. :)

and from what I remember diesel is about 0.83 kg per litre.

Donkey Oatey
04-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Hey rem don't listen to all these guys. They are all full of chit. You are fine. And I am basing this on me knowing exactly what every piece of your equipment and friends that are going with you. You are fine, don't worry about it. Have fun.

The above post is wrought with sarcasm and just telling you what you want to hear. No offense intended to the many members that are trying rightfully to give correct advise that the thread starter is totally ignoring 2 weeks in a row

sigma1
04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Scale tickets don't lie neither do the portable scales the transport department use at their checkstops. Do your homework for if you are not legal it could save you some major greif which could pay for the rental of a small trailer ten fold.

Sooner
04-06-2011, 09:51 AM
If you have one, you can solve all your issues by putting the sleds on a trailer. The idea of not fueling up the sleds and cans will save on weight, only problem is fuel will cost more in B.C. I always take a few filled up jerry cans for the sled when I go to the big hills only because its cheaper here, I have a 1 ton so weight isnt a issue.

bagwan
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Your posted truck weight may be for the basic truck as well. Any options, power seats, sun roof, spray liner, mud flaps, step rails, etc, all add weight. The only way to know is weigh the truck empty, load it up and weigh it again. They carry portable scales as well so they may catch you any where. It doesn't take a heck of a lot to put a truck over. I have bottle jacks, tie downs, first aid kit and a whole raft of stuff under the back seat. Throw a quad, a riser, extra fuel, water, generator etc, and a tongue weight RV of 500-600 lbs and I may or may not be legal. I know I exceeded the weight limits on my 1/2 ton pretty quick and had to go 3/4. Worst case scenario is that you have to unload and hopefully you're at a weigh scale where its reasonably safe.

4thredneck
04-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Your sled's weight 500 pounds each.
Each liter of fuel is 1kg. It takes 100L to fill the sleds.
So thats 220 pounds of fuel. Plus however much to take in jerry cans.
Then say you each have 50 pounds of gear.
two people in the truck would add roughly 500

now lets add it all up
sleds-1000
fuel-440
gear-100
passangers-500
Etc-100
2140pounds

I found online that max payload is 2450 for an 06.
So you might be pretty close.

I don't mean to be rude but I can't even get 100 litres of fuel in my pickup. A sled might take 30 litres but I could be wrong.

LongBomber
04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
You really need to know what your deck weighs. You are going to be close. The other posters list was close except the fuel, maybe you would need that much for the whole weekend. BUT he forgot the deck so...

sleds-1100 - full of fuel
Fuel - 148 - 4 jerry cans at 37 pounds for a 5 gal can
gear-100 = Hope you have light boots/helmet/pack/probe/shovel
passengers-500?
Etc-100
1948 pounds
Now what does your deck weigh? I have a custom steel deck, it is over 700 pounds.

You had 2180 pounds of total payload (GVW minus your measured weight), so unless your deck is less than 240 pounds you are over.

Just to give you an idea of how things are in BC - I have actually had a CO scrape some mud off my truck at the mall to have tested and check to see if I was mudboggin in areas that are off limits. I have seen them take a wood sample from stumps to catch a wood poacher... They take things a little more seriousy over here.

Cattle Dog
04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
The inspectors will look at 3 things:
1.Axle rating,
2.Tire rating: you should be using Load Range E tires, (or better),
but not Range D tires or worse; and they better be close to 80 psi in rear tires;
3.and lastly GVWR.

I used to run in to b.c. with a one-ton Dodge duelly cummins:
If i had too much weight, i had to go in with not much fuel in the tank.

You are getting close to overweight; take a tent instead, or trade up to a duelly.

outlaw'd
04-06-2011, 10:53 PM
would be to read the link I attached. When I was licensing my truck to haul my skid steer/trailer unit I talked to a hi way cop in town. Keep in mind that the conversation I had was with regards to AB laws but in the conversation we had the GVWR is secondary to the ratings of the tires. You are legally allowed to haul up to whatever your tires are rated for. Keep in mind that should you exceed the manufacturers GVWR for the vehicle, you are overloaded, all of a sudden you have a wreck and break an axle or something catastrophic, you are setting yourself up for a major lawsuit if there are dire consequences as a result of the accident. Call the scales and ask for clarification and if they can't tell you, they will give you a contact phone number for someone who can. Just my 2 cents ...........

http://www.ehow.com/how_2383883_buy-tires-based-load-ratings.html

JB_AOL
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Your best bet is to load everything up on the truck and go to the scale. Plain and simple. Any number you get off the internet (or hear) is a guess.

BTW, they do have vehicle checkstops in BC. I've been through quite a few. They look for anything (light bulbs, overweight trucks, reg, ins, brakes, unsafe loads, underage alcohol, etc.).
You're doing the right thing, by checking this out before hand.

JB_AOL
04-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Oh yeah, and be glad you have the hemi, and not a diesel. You'd be overweight for sure with a diesel.

Harbercraftguy
04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
get rid of the sled deck and buy a nice enclosed trailer.No issues then.And no more road salt and mud gettin on those sleds.