PDA

View Full Version : I'm Writing a Paper... Final Draft

Steven Noel
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
For my grade ten social studies. It is in regards to the topic of 'Sustainability and Development of Canada's National Parks'. However, I am required to include parenthetical references in my paper from reliable sources on the matter. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and/or links to authorative books, websites etc. on this topic that I could include and reference in my paper.

I am taking the stance that Canada's National Parks must be maintained and properly funded, and we must refrain from industrial development within their boundaries. Sources supporting that opinion would be particularily helpful, however all constructive input will be appreciated.

If you do not agree or support this opinion, all the power to you, but this is not the thread to advocate and voice your own. I do not wish for this thread to become a petty shouting match. I simply would appreciate suggestion and links sources that will assist in my writing of this paper.

All help is appreciated. Thank you. :wave:

Albertadiver
04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Would quoting the AO forum count?

Steven Noel
04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately no, it must be from a published document written by someone with official recognition as an authoritive individual on the matter.

Albertadiver
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately no, it must be from a published document written by someone with official recognition as an authoritive individual on the matter.

Walkingbuffalo could point you in the right direction I think. PM him if he doesn't post on the thread.

one thing to STAY AWAY from is anything to do with Y2Y.

Steven Noel
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Walkingbuffalo could point you in the right direction I think. PM him if he doesn't post on the thread.

one thing to STAY AWAY from is anything to do with Y2Y.

Thank you, I will inquire with him. And yes, I know that will go nowhere positive on here.

Albertadiver
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Thank you, I will inquire with him. And yes, I know that will go nowhere positive on here.

I am taking the stance that Canada's National Parks must be maintained and properly funded, and we must refrain from industrial development within their boundaries. Sources supporting that opinion would be particularily helpful, however all constructive input will be appreciated.

I think you're off to a great start with that opinion. One of the things they taught us back in school is to acknowledge some of the counter arguements, but stay focused on your proposition in order to be effective in the essay.

Y2Y may come across as supporting goals similar to what you've stated, but they are thinly veiled behind thier desire to cut off ALL access for people in the parks aside from roadside kiosks and info pull outs. Eventually these guys would love to see even hiking trails gotten rid of.

Have fun on your research, sounds like something a person could really get into.

Steven Noel
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I think you're off to a great start with that opinion. One of the things they taught us back in school is to acknowledge some of the counter arguements, but stay focused on your proposition in order to be effective in the essay.

Y2Y may come across as supporting goals similar to what you've stated, but they are thinly veiled behind thier desire to cut off ALL access for people in the parks aside from roadside kiosks and info pull outs. Eventually these guys would love to see even hiking trails gotten rid of.

Have fun on your research, sounds like something a person could really get into.

Being closed minded only acts as a shelter from the realaties that most issues are not absolutes and without conisderation for other's viewpoints we usually accomplish little. I try to encorporate that into all I do.

And yes, upon further investigation, Y2Y seems a little more radical then they portray themselves as.

GeoTrekr
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Parenthetical references in HS Social Studies? Geez, they don't even let the kids enjoy the days of "a famous 1993 study done by the University of Someplacefarfarawayandhopefullydoesn'texistbutisn' tsoobviouslyfakethatitisapparentrightaway established the link between..." ;)

Steven Noel
04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I know. Scary stuff...

walking buffalo
04-05-2011, 09:56 PM
For my grade ten social studies. It is in regards to the topic of 'Sustainability and Development of Canada's National Parks'. However, I am required to include parenthetical references in my paper from reliable sources on the matter. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and/or links to authorative books, websites etc. on this topic that I could include and reference in my paper.

If you do not agree or support this opinion, all the power to you, but this is not the thread to advocate and voice your own. I do not wish for this thread to become a petty shouting match. I simply would appreciate suggestion and links sources that will assist in my writing of this paper.

All help is appreciated. Thank you. :wave:

I'll post up some potenially helpful links later tonight or tomorrow.

'Sustainability and Development of Canada's National Parks'.

Food for thought.... Parks Canada has left sustainability behind for a newer (or older) concept. Parks is managing in the direction of creating and PRESERVING a pre-european contact ecosystem that also excludes aboriginal peoples. I call it the "Renaissance" Zoo.

greylynx
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
The words "sustainable" and "development" are very broad in their interpretation.

Do you have any other points of reference that would allow a person to focus on these words.

For example, Do you want to examine the anthropological view of sustainablity and development.

Do you want to take a political view?

Do you want to take an the ecological view?

Steven Noel
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
The words "sustainable" and "development" are very broad in their interpretation.

Do you have any other points of reference that would allow a person to focus on these words.

For example, Do you want to examine the anthropological view of sustainablity and development.

Do you want to take a political view?

Do you want to take an the ecological view?

In the other portion of my assignment; a comprhensive visual representation of my research, I primarily focused on an ecological perspective, however I also touched on the political ramifications involved.

densa44
04-05-2011, 10:46 PM
If you go back to 1911 is when I think the first park was formed at Banff you will find that they had coal mines in the park, unlimited hunting and fishing. If you follow the history through Parliament, by reading and quoting from the departments that were in charge of the parks I think you will see a steady move away from exploitation to preservation.

I think originally the Parks were administered by the department of mines, that is no longer the case.

Good luck with this, just make sure you quote your sources and you can have lots of factual information in your report.

You can write to the Minister of the environment, in Ottawa, put OHMS on the envelope, you won't need a stamp and they will send you lots of information. His name is The Hon Peter Kent, and he heads up Parks Canada. We have the best park system in the world and we are all very proud of it.

It great you picked this as a topic, every generation has to pass this on better than they found it.

Albertadiver
04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I`m working for a company that is currently contracted to works for Parks Canada. I currently have the privilege of working on the cave and basin national historic site. The whole reason we have national parks in this country is because of this hot spring. The history of this place is really neat. You`d be surprised what has happened there. Currently, we`re working on restoring the building and grounds from what it was like in 1985 back to around the 1914 era, with a few changes for various reasons.

It`s been really neat to be `behind the scenes`so to speak. I know some guys fairly high up with parks canada. If you`d like to interview them, I could try to hook you up.

Selkirk
04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
:sign0087: :happy0034: :47b20s0:

Not very often we get an 'academic' thread like this on the AOF ... very refreshing!

Good-on-you Steven ... keep it coming!

TF

HunterDave
04-06-2011, 02:25 AM
I am required to include parenthetical references in my paper from reliable sources on the matter.

"parenthetical references"...........does that mean that you have to write about your parents and go out and explore caves? :)

I don't know if you can use this or not but I thought that I'd throw it out there anyway. Awhile back I heard on the news that there was a controversy about some mining or oil/gas exploration that was being considered for our western Alberta parks. I didn't really follow the story but you might be able to find something with a google search. Apparently, there are allot of precious minerals in Jasper/Banff.

JohninAB
04-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Might suggest to find the book entitled Mountains without Handrails, written by Henry David Thoreau. Awesome read although the book is dated obviously.

ACKLEY ABE
04-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow.....I'm impressed. I spent most of grade 10 chasing girls. All three years of grade 10.

Steven Noel
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Might suggest to find the book entitled Mountains without Handrails, written by Henry David Thoreau. Awesome read although the book is dated obviously.

I will look into that, thank you.

I`m working for a company that is currently contracted to works for Parks Canada. I currently have the privilege of working on the cave and basin national historic site. The whole reason we have national parks in this country is because of this hot spring. The history of this place is really neat. You`d be surprised what has happened there. Currently, we`re working on restoring the building and grounds from what it was like in 1985 back to around the 1914 era, with a few changes for various reasons.

It`s been really neat to be `behind the scenes`so to speak. I know some guys fairly high up with parks canada. If you`d like to interview them, I could try to hook you up.

I would greatly appreciate that, the inclusion of communications with authorative indivuduals is permitted and in my opinion would do much to strengthen my case. I would be very grateful if you would be willing to look into that further.

If you go back to 1911 is when I think the first park was formed at Banff you will find that they had coal mines in the park, unlimited hunting and fishing. If you follow the history through Parliament, by reading and quoting from the departments that were in charge of the parks I think you will see a steady move away from exploitation to preservation.

I think originally the Parks were administered by the department of mines, that is no longer the case.

Good luck with this, just make sure you quote your sources and you can have lots of factual information in your report.

You can write to the Minister of the environment, in Ottawa, put OHMS on the envelope, you won't need a stamp and they will send you lots of information. His name is The Hon Peter Kent, and he heads up Parks Canada. We have the best park system in the world and we are all very proud of it.

It great you picked this as a topic, every generation has to pass this on better than they found it.'

Yes, I found the progression of our park system towards a continually more natural and less exploited area very interesting, but also appalling in the way the parks were originally handled. And yes, I plan to contact Parks Canada and also most likely the Minister of the Enviroment on the issue.

I'll post up some potenially helpful links later tonight or tomorrow.

'Sustainability and Development of Canada's National Parks'.

Food for thought.... Parks Canada has left sustainability behind for a newer (or older) concept. Parks is managing in the direction of creating and PRESERVING a pre-european contact ecosystem that also excludes aboriginal peoples. I call it the "Renaissance" Zoo.

I would appreciate that, thank you.

densa44
04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
When I was your age there was no environment, just indoors and outdoors. It has only been in the last 30 tears or so that people began to realize that we are all trapped here on this planet and it makes sense to look after it a bit better.

The parks had towns, cabins and dare I say it squatters and poachers! One has a lake named after him.

It is a fascinating topic and it tells us a lot about ourselves, some of it is not very flattering.

If you want to read about Canadian parks and a bit more recent than Thoreau, try to get something by Roderick Haig-Brown, (I think I've spelled it right) He was one of the trout fishing pioneers here and lived near Glacier park.

Tell us how this turns out.

Steven Noel
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
When I was your age there was no environment, just indoors and outdoors. It has only been in the last 30 tears or so that people began to realize that we are all trapped here on this planet and it makes sense to look after it a bit better.

The parks had towns, cabins and dare I say it squatters and poachers! One has a lake named after him.

It is a fascinating topic and it tells us a lot about ourselves, some of it is not very flattering.

If you want to read about Canadian parks and a bit more recent than Thoreau, try to get something by Roderick Haig-Brown, (I think I've spelled it right) He was one of the trout fishing pioneers here and lived near Glacier park.

Tell us how this turns out.

I certainly will, and thank you for the suggestion. And yes, you did spell it correctly.

greylynx
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
May I suggest "Culturing Wilderness in Jasper National Park...Studies in Two Centuries of Human History in the Upper Athabasca Watershed."

Edited (you will notice) by I. S. MacLaren. University of Alberta Press.

Because you are writing a socail studies report I would recommend this publication.

Why?

This publication is nothing more than a huge bibliography covering two centuries of information about Jasper Park.

This publication is also created by an English professor, and it shows how massive amounts of factual documentation can be processed in a very efficient and effective manner that even dumb old greylynx the super redneck can understand.

To summarize, the bibliography is the best I have ever seen on the subject.

bearsweg
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Hello,

My sister-in-law took a course in university that was on parks and protected areas. She had a textbook that I bought off her and it is called "Parks and Protected Areas in Canada: A second edition planning and management" edited by Philip Deardon and Rick Rollins.

Another source is to take a trip to your closest National Park or call them if that is not possible. National Parks have libraries that they house internal documents and Parks related documents that likely would be credible sources for your paper.

Other credible sources to heck out are peer-reviewed journals like Journal of Conservation Biology. Most libraries have access to a site called JSTOR that act as a search engine for papers written on various topics in a number of different journals. Going to your local school library, public library or even if you have access to a post-secondary library could be another resource for you.

I am not sure of your timelines or if I even have access to these online journal databases anymore but PM me if you are having troubles and I can see what I can do to help too!

walking buffalo
04-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I will look into that, thank you.

I would greatly appreciate that, the inclusion of communications with authorative indivuduals is permitted and in my opinion would do much to strengthen my case. I would be very grateful if you would be willing to look into that further.

'

Yes, I found the progression of our park system towards a continually more natural and less exploited area very interesting, but also appalling in the way the parks were originally handled. And yes, I plan to contact Parks Canada and also most likely the Minister of the Enviroment on the issue.

I would appreciate that, thank you.

No reason to be appalled. That is how it was, a park, a place for people to play. A comparison with today's "park" shows evolution in progress. Kind of ironic when placed with my earlier comment on the new parks agenda of "Preservation".

Can you describe more specifically what type of information you are looking for?

CamE
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Culturing Wilderness in Jasper National Park might be the best text you could read on this topic. In it, at least several of the authors reference american historian William Cronon. The article he wrote is titled "The Trouble with Wilderness; or, Getting Back to the Wrong Nature." (in a book he edited called Uncommon Ground or in the first volume and issue of the academic journal Environmental History)It is the most important piece regarding the use of the idea of "nature" and "wilderness" and the way those ideas apply to land management, although I'm not sure it would support your thesis for your paper. It will likely be very difficult to come to a solid, well considered position regarding people and parks, or the future of parks management, without coming to grips with the way people view spaces such as parks and the human history embodied within them. That's precisely why those two pieces (MacLaren's and Cronon's) are important.

A book that might more directly address your topic was written by Rick Searle (a former Parks Canada guy), titled Phantom Parks: The Struggle to Save Canada's National Parks. Searle doesn't tackle the cultural construction of nature and I feel it hurts his perspective but the book is thorough and provocative.

This is a great paper. Keep us all up to date.
ps. The Dearden and Rollins textbook is an ok textbook but is almost entirely management-related in a more practical sense.

Steven Noel
04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Thank you CamE for your reference, I will incorporate that report into my paper. On another note, I have bought "The Will of the Land" by Peter A. Dettling and found it very interesting as well as helpful. I would reccomend it to anyone with relation or interest in the issue.

Steven Noel
04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Progress Report: Introduction and first of three body paragraphs have been completed. Feedback is appreciated.

Sustainability and Development of
Canada's National Parks

“Landscape and memory combine to tell us that certain places are special, sanctified by their extraordinary natural merits and by social consensus. We call these places parks and we take them for granted.” – Chris Johns, Editor, National Geographic magazine" (Quammen 1).

In an ever smaller world, the existence of pristine and untouched wilderness is an increasingly rare sight. However, in a few select locations one can find land that has yet to be manipulated, degraded or destroyed by human interference. A large portion of these dwindling occurrences are within "National parks [that] protect natural environments... each is a sanctuary in which nature is allowed to evolve in its own way, as it has done since the dawn of time. Each provides a haven, not only for plants and animals, but also for the human spirit. ("National Parks System"). Canada's National Parks (CNP) must be maintained and properly funded and we must refrain from industrial development within their boundaries.

Through their natural cycles, and strict environmental regulations, CNP act to maintain and support biodiversity in Canada. The Oxford University Press Dictionary defines biodiversity as "the variety of plant and animal life in the world or in a particular habitat, a high level of which is usually considered to be important and desirable." It is essential in the sustenance of life on Earth as all organisms are interdependent. "Biological diversity is of fundamental importance to the functioning of all natural and human-engineered ecosystems, and by extension to the ecosystem services that nature provides free of charge to human society" ("Biodiversity"). Unfortunately, biodiversity is dwindling in response to human disturbance and environmental destruction. "Now we are altering the planet more rapidly and profoundly than ever, and much of the diversity produced by half a billion years of evolution could be lost in the next few centuries. We are triggering a mass extinction that could be as severe as the one that ended the reign of the dinosaurs." (Le Page). The long term affects of such an extinction could ultimately lead to the end of life on Earth. Though a wide of array of efforts collaborated by the international community to sustain biodiversity have been undertaken, they have tended to be unsuccessful because "...biodiversity conservation strategies... tend to be overly focused on research and policy on a global scale with little impact on local biodiversity" (Byrne and Ke). On the contrary, CNP and National Parks in general provide an exceptional opportunity for the international community to work together to maintain biodiversity while still managing at a relatively local level. In doing so, the likelihood of such mandates being successful dramatically increases. Several cases of successful initiatives to support and maintain biodiversity have taken place within CNP. For example,
Elk Island [National Park] has played a key role in the conservation of both plains bison and wood bison since 1907. Some of the world’s last plains bison were brought to the park and the species began its recovery from the brink of extinction. During the park’s history, Elk Island has successfully provided a total of 855 wood bison, 1014 plains bison, and 4633 elk to conservation initiatives around the world benefiting the species. ("Government of Canada to Send Wood Bison...").
Furthermore, under the direction and management of Parks Canada, CNP have contributed to the continued management of biodiversity in Canada through the funding of ecological restoration projects. "Ecological Restoration is an emerging discipline that focuses on assisting the recovery of degraded, damaged or destroyed ecosystems at specific project sites" ("Overview"). Ecological Restoration allows Parks Canada to exert its mandates and goals to limit the overall human disturbance to the land of CNP. In their own words, "Through re-establishing healthy, natural ecosystems, restoration also provides opportunities for Canadians to develop a positive and long-lasting sense of personal connection with nature" ("Why Do We Restore?"). In this information, many have seen and come to appreciate the opinion that through extensive work and complex science CNP continue a positive legacy of sustaining biodiversity in Canada and throughout the world.

Steven Noel
04-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Final Draft:

Sustainability and Development of
Canada's National Parks

“Landscape and memory combine to tell us that certain places are special, sanctified by their extraordinary natural merits and by social consensus. We call these places parks and we take them for granted.” – Chris Johns, Editor, National Geographic magazine" (Quammen 1).

In an ever smaller world, the existence of pristine and untouched wilderness is an increasingly rare sight. However, in a few select locations one can find land that has yet to be manipulated, degraded or destroyed by human interference. A large portion of these dwindling occurrences are within "National parks [that] protect natural environments... each is a sanctuary in which nature is allowed to evolve in its own way, as it has done since the dawn of time. Each provides a haven, not only for plants and animals, but also for the human spirit” ("National Parks System"). Canada's National Parks (CNP) must be maintained and properly funded and we must refrain from industrial development within their boundaries.

Through their natural cycles, and strict environmental regulations, CNP act to maintain and support biodiversity in Canada. The Oxford University Press Dictionary defines biodiversity as "The variety of plant and animal life in the world or in a particular habitat, high level of which is usually considered to be important and desirable." It is essential in the sustenance of life on Earth as all organisms are interdependent. "Biological diversity is of fundamental importance to the functioning of all natural and human-engineered ecosystems, and by extension to the ecosystem services that nature provides free of charge to human society" ("Biodiversity"). Unfortunately, biodiversity is dwindling in response to human disturbance and environmental destruction. "Now we are altering the planet more rapidly and profoundly than ever, and much of the diversity produced by half a billion years of evolution could be lost in the next few centuries. We are triggering a mass extinction that could be as severe as the one that ended the reign of the dinosaurs." (Le Page). The long term effects of such an extinction could ultimately lead to the end of life on Earth. Though a wide of array of efforts collaborated by the international community to sustain biodiversity have been undertaken, they have tended to be unsuccessful because "...biodiversity conservation strategies... tend to be overly focused on research and policy on a global scale with little impact on local biodiversity" (Byrne and Ke). On the contrary, CNP and National Parks in general provide an exceptional opportunity for the international community to work together to maintain biodiversity while still managing at a relatively local level. In doing so, the likelihood of such mandates being successful dramatically increases. Several cases of successful initiatives to support and maintain biodiversity have taken place within CNP. For example,
Elk Island [National Park] has played a key role in the conservation of both plains bison and wood bison since 1907. Some of the world’s last plains bison were brought to the park and the species began its recovery from the brink of extinction. During the park’s history, Elk Island has successfully provided a total of 855 wood bison, 1014 plains bison, and 4633 elk to conservation initiatives around the world benefiting the species. ("Government of Canada to Send Wood Bison...").
Furthermore, under the direction and management of Parks Canada, CNP have contributed to the continued management of biodiversity in Canada through the funding of ecological restoration projects. "Ecological Restoration is an emerging discipline that focuses on assisting the recovery of degraded, damaged or destroyed ecosystems at specific project sites" ("Overview"). Ecological Restoration allows Parks Canada to exert its mandates and goals to limit the overall human disturbance to the land of CNP. In their own words; "Through re-establishing healthy, natural ecosystems, restoration also provides opportunities for Canadians to develop a positive and long-lasting sense of personal connection with nature" ("Why Do We Restore?"). In this information, many have seen and come to appreciate the opinion that through extensive work and complex science CNP continue a positive legacy of sustaining biodiversity in Canada and throughout the world.

In contrast, others believe that CNP negatively affect Canada and its citizens, and hence should be abolished allowing industrial development in their former ranges. CNP cost the Canadian government a great deal of money. "For the 2010–11 fiscal year, Parks Canada’s budget is to meet the expected results of its program activities and contribute to its strategic amounts of $805 million" ("Parks Canada Agency Funding Profile"). Some believe these funds could be better allocated elsewhere such as healthcare and education, or used to decrease the Canadian tax base. In a time of economic instability some feel that non-essential services should be cut in favour of limiting debt and maintaining essential government institutions. As well, some individuals believe that in maintaining CNP and their strict regulations we are cheating ourselves from billions in natural resources and subsequent economic development. "Together... the national parks system now covers almost 265,000 km2 or 2.7% of Canada's total land mass" ("Establishment of National Parks..."). Within this land exists precious metals, petroleum products, lumber and coal, as well as opportunities for sustainable energy developments such as wind and hydroelectric power projects. Not only would these projects stimulate a struggling economy, but also contribute billions in royalties and corporate taxes to Canada. According to the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, oil sands alone have provided over one-hundred billion dollars in such revenue. (3) As well, many find the complex regulations of CNP to be unnecessary and infringing on their freedoms. Legislation pertaining to the majority of human functions that alter the environment in any way require or are subject to additional and lengthy bureaucratic process ("Acts and Regulation"). Therefore, some individuals assume the opinion that CNP affect Canadians negatively, and thus should be abolished leaving the resulting land open to industrial development.

Still others believe that CNP affect Canada and its relations, both internal and external, in a positive manner. On many occasions throughout the history of CNP, live animals have been transported to conservation initiatives across North America and around the world. Through committing itself to such endeavours, CNP bring together the various regions of Canada towards a common goal, and demonstrate Canada's desire to contribute to a healthier planet. Such actions both express our ideals and positively influence the opinion of others towards Canada. "Today, thanks to initiatives like bison and elk conservation..., Parks Canada is a recognized leader in the conservation and preservation of natural and cultural heritage" ("Elk Island National Park Wood Bison Ready..."). Whilst some believe that CNP cost the government too much, the consequential effects of these parks compensate for such spending. The subsequent increases in gross domestic product, labor income, tax revenue and job positions are more then significant.
All these economic impact measures indicate a substantial and important economic effect upon the Canadian economy. The GDP impact of $2.5 billion is a measure of the value added which is retained within the country from the expenditures made by park organizations and park visitors. Two-thirds of this impact is realized as income to labor - $1.6 billion; and almost sixty thousand (59,021) years of employment are derived from this spending annually. Clearly, Canada’s national parks make an important contribution to the business economy. The public also benefit from Canada’s parks: approximately $137 million in tax revenue is associated with the spending by these organizations and their visitors. (The Outspan Group Incorporated).
As well, Canada’s National Parks help to establish and strengthen relationships with our First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities by working to reflect their close relationship with the land. Traditional Aboriginal worldviews support a close relationship with the land, a relationship better maintained when the land is respected and kept in its natural state. "...Aboriginal people define their relationship as belonging to the land, and they see themselves as one element of a fully integrated environment" (Johnson 156). In final analysis, CNP generally affect the Canadian populous and its local and international relations, in a positive manner.

Hence, it is the opinion of many, backed by solid evidence and factual information, that CNP are a positive factor in Canada's existence. CNP support biodiversity both in Canada and around the world, a pressing global issue in itself. Though the management of these parks costs a great a deal and limits industrial-economic development, the resulting increase in gross domestic product, jobs available to Canadians and government tax revenue work to counteract this. As well, CNP work to build relationships with our aboriginal peoples and nurture the human spirit of those that come to see their beauty. "Parks Canada works to ensure Canada’s... natural heritage is protected and through a network of 42 national parks invites Canadians and people around the world to engage in personal moments of inspiring discovery at our treasured natural places" ("Canadian Wildlife Federation..."). By this information it is made clear that we must ensure the continued funding of Canada's National Parks and protect their dedicated areas for future generations.

twofifty
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Via the Parks Canada website, you can access the Banff National Park Master Plan. Very revealing of the government's track record of being all things to all people. In Banff, the business/tourism constituency has held sway for all of the 20th Century.

Right now, PC-BNP is trying to achieve a balance of interests...which is sold under the guise of sustainability. Four million people visit BNP each year, and 2 million of those spend at least one night in the Park.

How sustainable is that?

Good luck on your essay; it is a fascinating and controversial topic. You have to read, then you have to go see for yourself.

Iron Brew
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Probably too late for your paper, but one of my beefs is putting out fires in the park... to me, should only be done (generalities there) to protect towns etc.

walking buffalo
04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Holy Crap! I better not show my grade 10 papers. :ashamed:

densa44
04-19-2011, 09:50 PM
As you have already surmised, in Canada destruction of or National Parks would end any political party's chance for electoral success. Given that Glacier is a National park in two countries, this idea may help.

Not long ago, in your life time Mr. Ronald Reagan's minister (I think secretary in the US) suggested strip mining coal in Yellowstone park. Yellowstone you may know is the first US National Park. It has a well deserved status that it shares with our first one, Banff.

I don't recall his name but before Reagan had to fire him, the President said "He shot himself in the foot' That was the first time I heard that phrase.

I'm not sure of his name but it won't be hard for you to find it. The articles written around that issue should fill your report.

If they could get away with coal mining in Yellowstone, what would stop them mining Glacier and the rest?

I did mention that there is a coal mine in Banff from the early 1900's Bankview I think.

Good luck with this. A very unique way to do research!

Iron Brew
04-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Yellowstone has the distinction of being the first national park in the world...