PDA

View Full Version : Boats for Rivers

katrina.jackson
04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi All!

I am new to the whole boating scene and same with my hubby.
:)
I need a boat for 5 or 6 people (including 4 dogs) with an outboard boat that does not cost 60K!

I am looking at a Crestliner Jon Boat with a 70hp motor - is this a good way to go??

We want to use the boat to cruise the river, fish and go camping.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance

KJ

pickrel pat
04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
a boat large enuff for 5 - 6 people and 4 dogs, and gear etc, with a 70 horse might be a tad small to push that boat on the rivers. id upgrade to a larger motor. on a river there are times when you need to get up on plane in a hurry. 70 horse with a packed boat wont do it... my 2 bits.

katrina.jackson
04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
what would you suggest for an out board motor for one of those boats then??

chubbdarter
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi All!

I need a boat for 5 or 6 people (including 4 dogs) with an outboard boat that does not cost 60K!

I am looking at a Crestliner Jon Boat with a 70hp motor - is this a good way to go??

KJ

new to boating and river running with that much cargo wgt. is not the best combination
whats your estimated payload? i think your answer will exceed the recomeended load for my 24 custom weld with a 502

skidderman
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
With that many people and dogs you need to go to an inboard jet. There are lots of used ones less than 60 k but you really need to be careful with any of these because they take a lot to maintain. Running rivers is a lot different than lakes and takes many hours of learning so you don't end up on a sandbank. With an outboard jet you loose 25% power with the jet. You would need to go very high horse power and in so doing would use a lot of fuel.

mooseknuckle
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Any particular river your planning on boating on. Just my opinion here but I would avoid using an outboard set up on the river especially being new to it, I think your asking for trouble. If your planning on doing alot of river running your going to want a jet!! You can find them for under 60k but for the payload your thinking of I'd say your looking at 40+. Just my opinion.

DOGFISH
04-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Like the other guys are saying, with that payload you are going to need some horsepower. Go talk to Dave @ Explorer Industries he is very knowlegable on jet boats.http://www.explorerindustries.com/

densa44
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
You have quite a payload there. How big are the dogs? What rivers were you thinking of traveling on?

These rivers were fine for canoes for thousands of years but not so good for a boat that you cannot portage.

See what the other fellows say. I live in the south and we don't carry as many people in one boat and we use canoes, a magic carpet ride! (down stream)

katrina.jackson
04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Guys thanks for your input. The poochies are about 30 lbs each. I heard many horor stories about jet boats and the river and their maintenance.

I spoke with dave at explorer. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

surhuntsalot
04-08-2011, 01:23 PM
If you're planning to run the NSR, you are not going to hauld that type of payload with a Prop on an outboard. An Outboard Jet can work, but the type of payload you are talking about may require an inboard jet. My river runner has a 90 HP Yamaha outboard jet with a 6 degree tunnel hull, and can handle about 4 guys and some gear quite easily....

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/woodsman71/Fishin%20Stuff/IMG_1595.jpg

As for the "Horror Stories" about Jetboats, I'd venture to guess that most people telling you that have never had one, or have very little experience. Mine jetboats have treated me excellent and I have hundreds of hours on them.

mudbug
04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the forum :sHa_shakeshout:

:sign0016:

Cattle Dog
04-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Agree with Densa44:

Many streams in southern alberta tend to be shallower;
and sometimes with an occasional ledge, or sleeper stone hiding just under the surface.

So we use canoes:

Never use a canoe with a keel when on a medium or smaller river.

A proper river canoe is more or less "flat bottomed", so that you can maneuver the canoe around eddies, rocks, floating trees, or to line up to go over a ledge.
They are so much more fun.

Years ago i saw a strong man and his wife paddling a coleman canoe with a big keel down the upper red deer river: he flashed by sweating and paddling like mad in a straight line focused on getting to his destination: but where was the fun?

katrina.jackson
05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
sorry for LONG delay in replying but i have bought my first boat!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO:sHa_shakeshout:

I bought a boat from explorer industries!!! I picked it up today and took it on the river and WOW i am in love!!!!!!! i am so excited for the rest of the summer!

Thank you to all of you who have suggested explorer as WOW i am amazed!

Stump thumper
05-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Congrats on your boat, tell us some details, size, motor, etc.

player86
05-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Check out www.brattjet.ca located in Sylvan Lake. Many years of experience building welded aluminum jets.

katrina.jackson
05-28-2011, 10:00 AM
the boat is an explorer 162 i think the motor is a 60/40 outboard and it is 16' in length i think (hubby measured it and it is actually around 18 that is measuring from the tip of the bow to the end of the stern).

Dont know much about boats but we had fun taking it out last night!

amazing!!!!!

Stump thumper
05-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Probably won't be able to haul 5 or 6 people but it should work for 2 people. My boat is a 16' Outlaw with a 175 SJ and I had 4 adults and 2 small children one time and it worked but did not handle the way I prefer it to.

KegRiver
05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Sounds to me like you have a good boat for river running. Just stay clear of shallow rivers though. And learn to read the river.

As to jets. I was born and raised on the Peace River. We have always run outboards but I know a few folks who run jets on the Peace.
Not the best choice, but it can be done.
They work fine if you can avoid the many sandbars and stay off the river when there is a lot of driftwood and debris.

Out boards have their issues as well. Hitting a submerged rock can break the leg or crack a gear case. Either way, you are looking at some expensive repairs. But they also have advantages over jets.

Like better power to weight ratio, and with that, lower fuel consumption.
With the lower weight there is also the potential for more payload and the boat is easier to manhandle.
Plus, driftwood and small debris will not shut you down like it will a jet.
For us a major consideration was, more room in the hull.

If you should get stuck on a sandbar you can generally manhandle the outboard back into deep water. Most jets are too heavy for one or two men to manhandle, in that situation.

With rivers like the Peace, sandbars move from year to year. Even the most experienced river pilot will hit a sandbar sooner or later, if he runs the river a lot.

So if I were to buy a boat for the Peace, and it's on my wish list, it will be pretty much what you have. Only Lund would be my first choice.

I started boating on the Peace when I was old enough to walk. When I turned 14 dad let me take the boat by myself, and I've been boating on the Peace ever since.
Our rig of choice was a 16 foot Lund with a 25 horse Honda. It was all we needed for a typical day on the river. Two men and hunting or trapping gear for a day trip. Plus a spare jerry can or two of fuel.

When I worked as a guide, (our base camp was on the Peace, and we ran the river every day, we had two boats. A 22' custom Aluminum hull welded river runner with a 160 hp Evenrude outboard. We used it as our workhorse.
A typical load was four hunters, all their gear and the outfitter and all his gear.
That was at the start of a hunt. At the end of the hunt he would have two or three Moose, two or three hunters and their gear.

I ran a 18 foot Lund with a 65 hp Evenrude. Going in I would carry all our camp supplies and spare fuel, plus one hunter and his gear.
Coming out I would carry one or two hunters and their gear plus sometimes one Moose.
Understand, these were very often big men. 200 lbs or more. With two hunters, their gear and a Moose I had a very hard time getting the boat to plane. At times the only way to get it to settle was to have one hunter climb up onto the bow.

My guess is that you are a family, Mom and dad and two or three kids. And you are talking about day trips, not week long hunting trips.

If that is the case, I have no doubt that the boat you have will do the job nicely.

Enjoy, and, be safe.

pogo
05-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Sounds to me like you have a good boat for river running. Just stay clear of shallow rivers though. And learn to read the river.

As to jets. I was born and raised on the Peace River. We have always run outboards but I know a few folks who run jets on the Peace.
Not the best choice, but it can be done.
They work fine if you can avoid the many sandbars and stay off the river when there is a lot of driftwood and debris.

Out boards have their issues as well. Hitting a submerged rock can break the leg or crack a gear case. Either way, you are looking at some expensive repairs. But they also have advantages over jets.

Like better power to weight ratio, and with that, lower fuel consumption.
With the lower weight there is also the potential for more payload and the boat is easier to manhandle.
Plus, driftwood and small debris will not shut you down like it will a jet.
For us a major consideration was, more room in the hull.

If you should get stuck on a sandbar you can generally manhandle the outboard back into deep water. Most jets are too heavy for one or two men to manhandle, in that situation.

With rivers like the Peace, sandbars move from year to year. Even the most experienced river pilot will hit a sandbar sooner or later, if he runs the river a lot.

So if I were to buy a boat for the Peace, and it's on my wish list, it will be pretty much what you have. Only Lund would be my first choice.

I started boating on the Peace when I was old enough to walk. When I turned 14 dad let me take the boat by myself, and I've been boating on the Peace ever since.
Our rig of choice was a 16 foot Lund with a 25 horse Honda. It was all we needed for a typical day on the river. Two men and hunting or trapping gear for a day trip. Plus a spare jerry can or two of fuel.

When I worked as a guide, (our base camp was on the Peace, and we ran the river every day, we had two boats. A 22' custom Aluminum hull welded river runner with a 160 hp Evenrude outboard. We used it as our workhorse.
A typical load was four hunters, all their gear and the outfitter and all his gear.
That was at the start of a hunt. At the end of the hunt he would have two or three Moose, two or three hunters and their gear.

I ran a 18 foot Lund with a 65 hp Evenrude. Going in I would carry all our camp supplies and spare fuel, plus one hunter and his gear.
Coming out I would carry one or two hunters and their gear plus sometimes one Moose.
Understand, these were very often big men. 200 lbs or more. With two hunters, their gear and a Moose I had a very hard time getting the boat to plane. At times the only way to get it to settle was to have one hunter climb up onto the bow.

My guess is that you are a family, Mom and dad and two or three kids. And you are talking about day trips, not week long hunting trips.

If that is the case, I have no doubt that the boat you have will do the job nicely.

Enjoy, and, be safe.

Great post, KR.

:happy0180:

catnthehat
05-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Our rivers up here are super shallow, and a jet is almost mandatory if you want to go anywhere on them!
I ws one of the last hold outs to go to a jet, and my friend jsust went to a jet about 7 years ago.
there were many tense moments coming back upriver with a load in the boat after dark, let me tell you!
The downside is I have almost forgotten how to read water - I just drive over that crap now!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

pogo
05-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Our rivers up here are super shallow, and a jet is almost mandatory if you want to go anywhere on them!
I ws one of the last hold outs to go to a jet, and my friend jsust went to a jet about 7 years ago.
there were many tense moments coming back upriver with a load in the boat after dark, let me tell you!
The downside is I have almost forgotten how to read water - I just drive over that crap now!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

This is interesting, because I have been considering spending a little time on the mighty Stikine and the Spatsizi, but I have NEVER run a boat on a river. Intentionally. So, it's a little intimidating wondering what to run. Jet vs. outboard etc.

If I was going all out, I'd pick up one of these:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/alaskahdtv/videos/72/

catnthehat
05-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Our boats are quite a bit smaller, and our rivers as well, are shallower !!
Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clwQMn3_vRc&feature=related
This is a set just a bit out of town, Mountain Rapids they are called.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ErV4ysFCk&feature=related

KegRiver
05-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Pogo

Some rivers are best suited to jet boats, others to outboards.
I know that jets are the only option on the Chinchagga out west while on the Peace outboards work better.

I'm not familiar with the Stikine and the Spatsizi rivers, but from what I have learned, if you have the depth for outboards, they are the better option, if you don't, a jet may be your only option.
It seems to me that the size and depth of the river has a lot to do with it. The Peace is a large river with some very large sandbars. Just the right size for trapping jet boats. On a smaller river with smaller sandbars, you might be able to slide over most sandbars thus a jet would be a better option.
Some rivers have few sandbars but simply don't have enough depth for an outboard. Remember, you need at least a foot of water under the keel to run an outboard. The bigger the motor and boat the more depth you need.

What I would suggest is that you talk to people that run the rivers you are interested in. Especially talk to the older boaters. Keep in mind that young folks with lots of money frequently run way more boat, truck, or gun then is needed for the job. Some folks take the first advice they get and that can put you in a rig that's not big enough or tough enough for the job.

If possible, a few trips on the river you are looking at, with different people in different rigs is probably the best case scenario, but seldom possible.

One last thing to consider. For the boating I do, on the river I run, an outboard is the best option. Another person, with different requirements on that same river might find a jet suits his purpose better.

Get informed, know the options and the perimeters. Then make an informed decision that fits you.

BGSH
05-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Hi All!

KJ
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=286011134
that should do it

pogo
05-29-2011, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=KegRiver;958068]Pogo

If possible, a few trips on the river you are looking at, with different people in different rigs is probably the best case scenario, but seldom possible.

QUOTE]

Thanks, Keg. I think I'll do just that. One river is considerably smaller, so just like always, the perfect vehicle probably doesn't exist.

pogo
05-29-2011, 06:35 AM
If you're planning to run the NSR, you are not going to hauld that type of payload with a Prop on an outboard. An Outboard Jet can work, but the type of payload you are talking about may require an inboard jet. My river runner has a 90 HP Yamaha outboard jet with a 6 degree tunnel hull, and can handle about 4 guys and some gear quite easily....

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/woodsman71/Fishin%20Stuff/IMG_1595.jpg

As for the "Horror Stories" about Jetboats, I'd venture to guess that most people telling you that have never had one, or have very little experience. Mine jetboats have treated me excellent and I have hundreds of hours on them.

Looks a bit like Williston Lake?