PDA

View Full Version : Polaris 500 issues

CeeZee
04-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Anyone have a newer polaris 500 sportsman with carb? Or anyone know of any issues they have with fuel, we have a 2009 and it gave us trouble from the start pretty much, when it gets hot it runs out of gas, like the fuel pump quits. tried everything i can think of without outting in a new fuel pump!:angry3:
one of these days its gonna stop when a cow is chasing me down!:sSc_hiding:

help anyone?
Thanks

1shotwade
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
sounds like vapour lock! I have a buddy with same problem and he sold the quad! But he got the problem sorted out with a heat shield of some type!

CeeZee
04-05-2011, 07:39 PM
so is it vapour locking in the carb then? if its 5 below zero never an issue, but now with being plus 4 or 5 it does it.

Sooner
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
My friends yamaha griz used to boil the gas, carb would heat up because shields kept the engine heat in. His quad would cool down and go again. The next years griz had shields with air holes. Maybe the polaris is having simular issues.

CeeZee
04-06-2011, 06:35 AM
i think last summer we tried running with the covers off but might give it a shot again. It is a rediculous set-up, the have a fuel pump rather than gravity flow to the carb. When it quits you whip the gas line off the pump and there is nothing there for a few seconds, so i have a feeling there is something fishy there with heat somehow.
I have had the fuel tank off and apart, went over all of it, pump, all lines changed, vent lines checked, in-tank screen the whole thing. Took the vent hose off of the carb in case that was an issue, nope! grrrr!

sigma1
04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
try cleaning the tank out and fuel valve. Had many a problem with dirty fuel in all types of equipment.

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 07:58 AM
The probelm actually is much worse than you may think vapor lock is the least for your worries.
First thing you want to do is walk around you quad look for the letters OLSPAIR....The letter may not be in that order and may be found POLARIS if so your screwed the only way to fix this is to sell the quad and go get a machine with the letters CAN AM....you'll be much better off.:confused0068::evilgrin:

CeeZee
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
The probelm actually is much worse than you may think vapor lock is the least for your worries.
First thing you want to do is walk around you quad look for the letters OLSPAIR....The letter may not be in that order and may be found POLARIS if so your screwed the only way to fix this is to sell the quad and go get a machine with the letters CAN AM....you'll be much better off.:confused0068::evilgrin:
thats helpful, perhaps you could make the transaction more me, thanks.

CeeZee
04-06-2011, 12:40 PM
try cleaning the tank out and fuel valve. Had many a problem with dirty fuel in all types of equipment.
well i have had all that apart and gone over! It did this from new, never even had 15 hours on it! But it only has 6 month warranty and it was purchased in Nov and not used till spring! Typical warranty B.S.!

Thanks for the tip! :)

sigma1
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds stupid but is your gas cap vented? Maybe some idiot give you the wrong cap from new.

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
well i have had all that apart and gone over! It did this from new, never even had 15 hours on it! But it only has 6 month warranty and it was purchased in Nov and not used till spring! Typical warranty B.S.!

Thanks for the tip! :)

Six month warranty man polaris really gives it to a guy.....not to beat a dead horse but can am offer a 3 year warranty.

What does the dealership say? does your machine have an hour/km log I would take it to them and complain......wait........November to april you should still be covered

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Sounds stupid but is your gas cap vented? Maybe some idiot give you the wrong cap from new.

Check the breather valves too if they are pinched it will affect air/fuel just like a carb would.

sigma1
04-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Battery terminals loose, fuse not in all way or not in proper, any electric connection along the way if it is a electric fuel pump.

elkhunter11
04-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Six month warranty man polaris really gives it to a guy.....not to beat a dead horse but can am offer a 3 year warranty.

Can Am atvs used to come with a three year warranty, but now they only come with a six month warranty unless you pay extra for an extended warranty.

http://en-ca.can-amatv.brp.com/Files/en-US/Pdf/BEST_Protection_enUS.pdf

CeeZee
04-07-2011, 07:03 AM
doesnt have a vented cap but i have checked the tank vent hose and all clear.