PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Suggestions

BlackHeart
04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Looking for suggestions/ideas on a freezer/generator/cooler idea.

The reason is that we are planning some salmon fishing trips and its a pain to keep running for ice or worrying about the fish caught when the temp goes up. Also we were at Sooke and the camp freezer was not working properly.
This set up would also help on longer hunting trips.

Would also be nice to put aboard the jetboat and take it to the camp (and last time we had 5 people fishing and stayed for a week and bit)...so a big square reg freezer is not the way to go. I have a big cooler on the swimdeck but electronics there would get wet.

Any suggestions???

donabb
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Check out ARB 4x4
I got one 5 years ago 12 volt and bullet proof
You can also get a padded cover for it
little pricey though I think I paid around a grand but they are worth it
Any 4x4 place that handles ARB accessories can order one for you

BlackHeart
04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Check out ARB 4x4
I got one 5 years ago 12 volt and bullet proof
You can also get a padded cover for it
little pricey though I think I paid around a grand but they are worth it
Any 4x4 place that handles ARB accessories can order one for you

Took a look....82qt too small for chinook salmon lengths and it would take two many before it was full.

BallCoeff.435
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
For the boonies, I'd use a typical, smallish-sized refrigerator (or two) with a true (freon) compression motor maybe equipped with a PTO-style attachment point. The PTO point would be equipped with some sort of common mechanical attachments, say a shaft as well as a small flex-plate.

Then you could attach whatever sources of mechanical power was available to turn the compressor. Say, a little (3-phase ?) motor driven by an inverter running off a solar-charged battery pack or a vehicles electrical system, or by a windmill-generator, or gas/naptha or diesel generator. Or a turbine wheel in a fast stream or waterfall, or one dragged behind a boat even. Maybe a small hydraulic motor or even a little steam engine.

Probably the most feasible setup would be a store of DC power in a deep-cycle battery pack charged by a variety of sources. Such as, the boats electrical system when underway, solar when stationary, wind or stream when back in camp, and even standard backup generator when the rest is unavailable. Use that to power inverters running an AC motor connected to the compressor. Maybe have 2 battery packs with quick-connectors so one could be charged offline/ashore, as a backup.

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Try looking at propane fridges or freezers light weight come in natural gas and kerosene to. Can be used any place had a full size propane fridge in our cabin up north years ago.

BallCoeff.435
04-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Try looking at propane fridges or freezers light weight come in natural gas and kerosene to. Can be used any place had a full size propane fridge in our cabin up north years ago.

A propane freezer on a boat? I dunno.
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/18.htm

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 07:51 AM
A propane freezer on a boat? I dunno.
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/18.htm

They have bean using propane on boats for years and kerosene pump systems before that. Open air boats no problem enclosed boats use a vent system no problem.