PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening knifes

The cooter
04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm using the lansky system at present I find it very effective. What are other AO members using? As i'm always up for finding a better system. What other products are not to be over looked?

So Nova *!%
04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Medium grit, fine grit,Arkansas stone smooth steel or strop in that order and for a quick edge a rough steel followed by the smooth steel.
If you like the Lansky I have nothing bad to say about it, I just grew up without ceramic stones so I can't quite get the edge I want with it.

Selkirk
04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
No disrespect ment, but this subject has been beat to death many times over on this forum the last few years. Give the forum 'Search' function a try. You'll go blind trying to read through all the related threads and posts about this subject ... literally 'volumes' of info!

Cheers,

TF

The cooter
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks TG I'll use the search tab. Didn't relies this was talked about so much.

ghostguy6
04-05-2011, 10:59 PM
I use the Lansky system for quick touch ups on my daily use knives but I still prefer to get the final edge with a good old fashioned Arkansas stone followed by a strop.

Just a word of warning, check the stones on your lansky to make sure they are firmly glued onto the board. I cut my finger down to the bone today after the stone broke loose.:sign0007:

leo
04-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Lansky Diamond stones and finish off with a very fine steel.:)