PDA

View Full Version : float tubes

boonedocks
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I am in the market for a float tube and was wondering what features everyone recommends to look for.

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Make sure it has a pointed back mine has a round one if there is a little chop when you kick it slaps the chop and will roll water under and in your wadders.a nice high back is nice built in storage pouches if you flyfish a stripping apron I don't flyfish so I use mine for eating lunch....:) And multi cells are good if one leaks your still ok.

32-40win
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
You musta had short backed waders of some form, been out in some ugly stuff in a float tube and never had that happen.
The U or V style is nicer to get in and out of. The round ones use truck tire tubes in them, mine is 15 yrs old now, still holds air all day. It is likely due for a tube now as they do deteriorate with age.
They are good for small water lakes, big water can be a little too much work to get off of in any kind of a hurry, if a storm comes out of nowhere, such as can be in BC.
The bigger and more equipt pockets the better.

vinny
04-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Look for one that has an inflatable seat where you sit up out of the water. Easier to cast, more comfy, and warmer when the water's cold.

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 08:16 AM
You musta had short backed waders of some form, been out in some ugly stuff in a float tube and never had that happen.
The U or V style is nicer to get in and out of. The round ones use truck tire tubes in them, mine is 15 yrs old now, still holds air all day. It is likely due for a tube now as they do deteriorate with age.
They are good for small water lakes, big water can be a little too much work to get off of in any kind of a hurry, if a storm comes out of nowhere, such as can be in BC.
The bigger and more equipt pockets the better.

My wadders are high enough but the seat also sit very low which I think is also a problem it is a U style open front tension strap at back.

this one here

Doc
04-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Here's some articles you may find helpful regarding float tubes.

Float Tubes - The Good, Bad and Ugly (http://www.albertastillwaters.com/floattubestgbu.htm)

Float Tubes (http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/floattubing.htm)

Float Tube Troll Casting (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/fly-fishing-techniques-for-trout/2011/01/float-tube-troll-casting-fly-fishing/)

boonedocks
04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Excellent info folks.Thanks again.

Cowboy Al
04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I've tried a few different ones. Being a bigger guy (short and round) I prefer the round tube style. It's a little tougher to get in and out of but I find them far more stable. While the U and V shaped ones are easier to get in and out of I found the U shaped one felt like it was folding in around me and the V shaped one I felt like I was going to fall out of.

If you go with a round one you'll want to get a good set of neoprene waders as your legs and part of your torso will be in the water.

Regardless of which one you chose they are a great way to get out to the fish...

TyreeUM
04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I like the fish cat 4 deluxe...the fish cat 4 is great too but after 10 hours on the water you will really be wishing you had the inflatable seats in the deluxe model...plus the company is FANTASTIC to deal with, I have multiple friends that have had ruptured bladders and then have received replacements quickly without many questions asked.

WayneChristie
04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I like the fish cat 4 deluxe...the fish cat 4 is great too but after 10 hours on the water you will really be wishing you had the inflatable seats in the deluxe model...plus the company is FANTASTIC to deal with, I have multiple friends that have had ruptured bladders and then have received replacements quickly without many questions asked.

I dont really think multiple ruptured bladders is a really a great recommendation for a product , you might want to find a brand that doesnt rupture a lot :bad_boys_20:

Doc
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I dont really think multiple ruptured bladders is a really a great recommendation for a product , you might want to find a brand that doesnt rupture a lot :bad_boys_20:

Easier said than done. What's important is that you're wearing a PFD, you have other bladders inflated to make sure you can easily get back to shore and that the company you're dealing with has a great warranty. We're talking fairly inexpensive inflatable boats that are around sharp hooks, bladders are going to leak. Urethane bladders and rubber inner tubes are more durable than the vinyl bladders (PVC), so keep that in mind when purchasing. Also keep in mind altitude if traveling with your tubes fully inflated and heat (like keeping your tubes in a hot vehicle), you can easily burst your bladders.

TyreeUM
04-07-2011, 10:50 PM
we are far from gentle with our float tubes and hike them into some really rough wooded areas, not to mention we float down streams in them, so the ruptured bladders are not so much due to poor craftsmanship...Im not an idiot - if these float tubes ruptured on a simple paddle around a trout lake I obviously wouldn't be recommending them...

Remtig
04-08-2011, 06:21 AM
I have the rectangular style float tube and it works great, however if you can accomodate a larger boat I suggest getting a river rated pontoon boat, more room, more comfortable, faster and more versatile.Since I got mine I don't use my float tube.:thinking-006:

Gators
04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
The Fish Cat 4 deluxe is an excellent float tube. The inflatable seat keeps you out of the water and the thing packs up very small. I keep it in a large hockey bag with fins and waders so its always ready to go. I have seen a few on the river but not so sure thats a good idea.

TyreeUM
04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
haha I bet half the things we do to get to big fish are not a good idea...I have not yet fished off icebergs though....maybe next year haha