PDA

View Full Version : iphone and USA

Iron Brew
04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm going to be travelling in the USA for a little while. I presently have an iphone on the bell system. What do I have to do to use it on the US system? I'm thinking of getting a verizon one month deal so I don't wind up with roaming charges on the phone. I do want the data access, hence me not doing Ken's suggestion and just getting a cheap Walmart phone. May do that if I have to, but...

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Im with bell to and while I like them within Canada, once your in the states they suck, atleast rogers has a plan you can get for the US but bell has rediculious roaming charges data charges and longdistance rates.....Id talk to rogers about there plans and just get a rogers phone and try and it when your back here.

Iron Brew
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Don't want another smart phone, so... hoping to use the bell one. Maybe one of the Verizon stores can unlock it for me or something... (not jailbreak). Hmmm. Maybe an apple store???

Rockymtnx
04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Iron Brew, where are you headed?
There are many places (like Nebraska) where your iPhone won't work.
Best to check out the coverage areas before you head south with it.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I ran into this when i went on vacation to montana last year...if I remember correctly when I spoke to telus when I got home the said they had a USA plan that you can add on for a short period of time..like one month so that you can use it in the states.

Iron Brew
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Yup, I spoke to Bell. All I can say is supply your own jar of vaseline... I may have to take it this time, but... for next time, I think I may just sort this out ahead of time... (we had a plans change...)

Mind you, I'm thinking (seriously) of Ken's Walmart phone solution the deeper I dig into this...

JB_AOL
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I would turn of my data, and purchase US voice package from Bell. Then I would use wifi to check emails/etc.
Whatever you do, make sure you turn off your wifi locating GPS (if you plan on using GPS).

Or walmart phone will work too.

Hun-Ter
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Is your phone locked to Bell? If it's unlocked you can get a US pre-paid voice and data plan, but you need to change the SIM card.
If your phone is locked, you stuck with Bell.
I have an unlocked iphone, it works in pretty much all countries, I just have to stick a local SIM in it.
If you don't have an US SS# all you can get is pre-paid.

Hunter

nicemustang
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Ah....can't you get a $9.95 US roaming per month plan? So your phone works in the US just as it would here for only $10. I go there all the time and this is what I do....although I am on a corporate plan, not sure if that matters. Or if the fact that I work for Bell...

Iron Brew
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
i have been told repeatedly NO..

tbiddy
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I just took a quick look at Bell's website and I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/Travel-USA-Data-Bundles/US10MB.details

$30 for 10mb of data for 1 month.

For voice you would need:

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/Travel-USA-bundles/RMUSA.details

I am on Telus but when we travel I add a roaming package for phone calls and just use wifi for data.

benamen
04-06-2011, 06:04 PM
I work with a guy who travels to Las Vegas a half dozen times a year with his iphone. He is with Telus and when he travels through Montana, he has very little service. Before he heads down, he adds a U.S. package for his phone calls, another for his data plus another for texting. The data plan reduces the cost per mb but it still costs extra to use data in the states. He adds on about $40 worth of U.S. add ons and usually saves him $150 to $200 over standard rates. How do we know he saves this much? Well Telus puts those add on costs onto your bill and then charges you the standard rates anyway. keep a good eye on your bill. Plus you can call in to get the add ons and then someone will forget to add them to your service. You will notice in a hurry when they forget.

We have setup most of his email accounts so they go through Google (imap not pop) so he has access to them where ever he has service and his phone is always in sync with his desktop.

Iron Brew
04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks all...

I've decided to pass on the data and texting. I bought some voice. I'll be turning off all the data/gps/etc. while south.

sheephunter
04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Get a Blackberry and you can BBM for free ;)

ksteed17
04-06-2011, 09:50 PM

ya if you like going to get a new sim card every 2 weeks!

sheephunter
04-06-2011, 09:55 PM

LOL...I have cooked one but the second one seems good!

Iron Brew
04-06-2011, 10:24 PM
personal issues - will never own a blackberry.

Rockymtnx
04-06-2011, 11:34 PM
In 3.5 years of using BB's I have never cooked one....

Sporty
04-07-2011, 08:54 AM

BBM still uses the data which is more expensive than regular SMS. I spoke to 3 different reps (Telus) and was told the same thing, using data is the most expensive even with an international roaming package which is included with my phone free of charge, I have the BB Tour world phone. I was also told that different apps will exchange information and update and that is applied to data usage. I was quoted $25 for 1mb of data usage, $3.00 for long distance charges, 25 cents for incoming and out going text messages. I could add on a $20 dollar texting package that would give me unlimited texting through SMS. I decided its cheaper to just leave my phone at home