PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Regs Held For Ransom at Canadian Tire

geezer55
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Was in my local Canadian Tire to pick up some items for some home repair and decided to also pick up a couple of this years fishing regs. When I asked for them she kindly let me know that I'd have to purchase a licence before she'd be able to give them to me, I asked since when and then she said if I had my WIN card with me she'd be able to give them to me. Got my regs but as I was heading out noticed one of the senior cashiers giving her an ear full. Since when do you have to purchase fishing/hunting licences there to get the regs?

NoKlu
04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I've never asked for a copy of any regs unless I was getting a license. I would assume they are sent 1 copy for each license.

Ken07AOVette
04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Lloydminster doesn't even have Saskatchewan licenses yet, which is a great way to handle limits :thinking-006:

bobcatguy
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Picked up my liscense yesterday at walmart & she only wanted to give me 1copy too. I did get extra copies after telling her that 2 people I know that fish don,t buy liscenses cause over 65. I always give them the regs. She was suprised that anyone could fish without a liscense.

FishBrain
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I was in TFH, and the guy there offered it up. I was not buying the license, just some lures.

Beerfish
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I can somewhat sympathize with the person as if a number of people just get the regs and no license they end up selling license and saying 'Sorry, no more regs we gave them away.'

CeeZee
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
like my local walmart, got a liscence and they didnt have a reg book to give me, which i really needed cuz we were on our way to a strange area and lakes!
perhaps this was their case which they had 1 book for each liscence, and gave extras then ran out. who knows!

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Every rule in the world is based on some previous screw up. My guess is that someone who bought a licence last year didn't get a copy of the regs because they were out, and gave them an earful.

Think it's just that store. I've gotten copies from my local CT before without purchase. I have to admit I've not tried this year though. Hard to get upset with them though. They aren't paid to supply them to you. They DO have to look out for paying customers (license purchasers)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
If I were you id be calling SRD and letting them know of the vendor causing a fuss about handing those out . They arent there property and dont cost the business a dime , and can contact them to get more .

There was a place here in town that tryed telling me they didnt have and were always out , so I made a phone call not only did them mail me a few copys they must of called that vendor and let them know hey people want these give them to them , they are free .

DarkAisling
04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Getting a copy of the regs at my local CT is like pulling teeth. The last time I was refused them I told the manager that I would be phoning SRD to complain. I left with three copies (one for the my truck, one for my tackle box, and one for hubby's truck).

People who purchase licenses online have to get the regs from somewhere, and CT is one of the places SRD indicates they may be picked up.

Sledhead71
04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately it is the way the world is headed, less printed material, more internet accessible materials...

The cost associated with printing these days is brutal, most are refering people to internet sites to save costs..

My industry is paper heavy, the past couple years, I would assume 50% went paperless and internet access is the only way to attain updated information....

jts1
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
If you ask for one you should get it.. Simple As said before they dont cost the place anything and can allways order more if need be.

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Take as many copies as you can get your hands on! Remember, our mighty leader Rob M prints them!!!! More money in his pockets! :)

Sledhead71
04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
In case you may need the electronic version...

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Fishing-Regs-2011.pdf

DarkAisling
04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Unfortunately it is the way the world is headed, less printed material, more internet accessible materials...

The hardcopy version is the official version. In the event of discrepancies between the softcopy and the hardcopy versions, the hardcopy version wins.

AxeMan
04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Many good points brought to the forefront here:

1. If we buy a license online then we need to pickup the regs somewhere.
2. The printed copy of the regs is paid for.....hence all the advertizing embedded in them.
3. We need a hard copy of the regs with us when we are out fishing....I don't have a computer in my boat or tackle box!

winged1
04-06-2011, 06:43 PM
The hardcopy version is the official version. In the event of discrepancies between the softcopy and the hardcopy versions, the hardcopy version wins.

Actually, neither are 'official', both are summaries.

I've boughten licenses at CT and they not had Regs, and other times I've picked up a replacement. Sometimes you give, sometimes you take.

MathewsArcher
04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
x2

The Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations is neither a legal document nor a
complete listing of current sportfishing regulations. It is a summary of the federal and
provincial fishery regulations and is intended to assist those interested in sportfishing.
The official Statutes and Regulations should be consulted for all purposes of
interpreting and applying the law. Clarification of the regulations may be obtained from
your nearest Fish and Wildlife Division office of Alberta Sustainable Resource
Development.

deanmc
04-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I have never had a problem here at Canadian tire and I normally buy my license online.

fisher Gord
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Since the license is from a roll of paper they should never run out, but they do only get so many regs. Gas station in Slave wanted to charge 2.50 per copy.

DarkAisling
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
This is what I was referencing (from http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/), and I stand behind my interpretation:

Disclaimer
This website is neither a legal document nor a complete listing of current Alberta Sportfishing Regulations. It is a summary of the federal and provincial fishery regulations and is intended to assist those interested in sportfishing.

In case of a discrepancy between the information presented in this on-line version of the guide and the official printed (hardcopy) version, the official printed version shall have precedence.

The official Statutes and Regulations should be consulted for all purposes of interpreting and applying the law. Details of the regulations may be obtained from your nearest Fish and Wildlife Office. Official copies of Alberta and federal legislation are available in print and electronic format from the Queens Printer.

jts1
04-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Since the license is from a roll of paper they should never run out, but they do only get so many regs. Gas station in Slave wanted to charge 2.50 per copy.

I am not sure they can do that can they? Sounds like someone could be in big trouble..

Cal
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Which gas station was that? I would get banned from the property for sure if they tryed that on me.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Which gas station was that? I would get banned from the property for sure if they tryed that on me.

x 3 and probably a chat with the local RCMP But Id have the last laugh with a phone call to SRD . Thats almost cowardly to charge for something free .

dumoulin
04-07-2011, 08:57 AM
If I were you id be calling SRD and letting them know of the vendor causing a fuss about handing those out . They arent there property and dont cost the business a dime , and can contact them to get more .

There was a place here in town that tryed telling me they didnt have and were always out , so I made a phone call not only did them mail me a few copys they must of called that vendor and let them know hey people want these give them to them , they are free .

X2 Also, a vendor is sent boxes and boxes of the stuff....all they have to do is reorder. If a vendore like Canadian Tire chooses to sell licences (which doesn't make them any money) they do so in order to sell derrivative or related goods like ammo, tackle, cammo clothing etc... Allbeit they are obliged to supply regs at any length and it is up to them to reorder BEFORE they run out! Inasmush as this is true, I would be choked myself if I did not get a set of regs when requested/needed; however, there are e-copies on the Internet always available.

dumoulin
04-07-2011, 09:01 AM

Holly Cow! That's crooked! I would call them on that that's for sure!!!

great white whaler
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
canada is on a tight bubget ,nothing is free any more