PDA

View Full Version : Torres hit on Eberle?

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, I watched the game last night and thought Eberle was going to get carried off after Torres hit him blind side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzzZ8GUkig

This is Torres's comment, pulled from cbcsports:

Torres defended his actions.

"It was a fine hit," he said. "I was finishing my hit and he had his head down. We were both going for the puck. I've got to finish my hits. He was obviously in a vulnerable position but at the end of the day I have to finish my hit or else I am out of a job.

"If they are trying to get rid of clean hits like that, what's this league going to be in a couple of years?"

After watching the video a number of times, I don't see Torres going for the puck, or even looking at the puck. He's zeroed in on his 'clean' hit....I figure a big suspension is in order, and I'd be happy to see what the league will be like in a couple of years. Cleaner. Very glad Eberle wasn't hurt and he got right back up. A little different angle and you've got another Marc Savard.... My opinion. Now for yours.....

Matt L.
04-06-2011, 09:57 AM
My opinion's the same as yours. That was a hit he did not "have" to finish.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
a few things to say....first off I am an oilers fan, but I am also a good hockey fan. I have no problem with big hits...I love to see a huge, clean, game changing hit.

here is what I think of the hit..after watching the video a few times:

we have the luxury of watching the video over and over, analyzing it and slowing it down etc to be able to form our opinion...on the ice they do not have that luxury. Decisions get made in a split second and then the consequences follow.

so, in that vein we have to look at what happened in those split seconds to see what the hit was like....and imho the hit was a bad one. The initial intent may have not been, but the decision to cut in towards Eberle rather than ride him off the puck and to then bring your elbow up to lead the hit instead of leading with your shoulder only to me is why the hit was a bad one. To be fair, Eberle was in a vulnerable position and did have his head down...but imho if the elbow had stayed down the hit would have been ok...a big hit no doubt, but ok in my mind. I think the fact that Torres has his gloves dropped almost as soon as he turns around shows that he knew that hit was going to carry repercussions. I do not think it was intended to be malicious, just a bad choice in those nanoseconds.

that is my opinion, but I am not saying it is right.

countrykid
04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I didn't like the fact that he led with his elbow to eberle's head. But I don't watch a ton of hockey so what do I know. My .02 cents

eastcoast
04-06-2011, 10:15 AM
this is going to tell you how much I watch and follow hockey, I though torres still played for the oilers:scared0018:

anyways on the hit the old saying goes "keep your head up",not saying it was the best hit or even that clean but when I was in hockey when I was a kid the coaches said that repeatedly, if eberle's head was up and he was paying attention the hit wouldn't have happened.

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Wow didn't see the game but crap.
Glad he is alright.
First of all this is a first place team playing the last place team hits like this are not needed.
Second that could have almost been called interference he wasnt going for the puck at all if he was he had ebele beat to the puck anyway.
What an idiot glad edmonton got rid of his coke sniffin arse.

Wish strudwick would have got there befoe omara made his weak attempt.
One of edmonton biggest issues is are lack of a "tough guy" With marquee players like hemsky hall ebele omark parjvee and onother early draft pick we need big players not guys like macintire that no one wants to fight but forward with size like penner but with a mean streak.

Northern Farm Kid
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
It's terrible how, in a game that means nothing, other than gaining or loosing a little respect, that a young star like Eberle got layed out; when interviewed Eberle said "he tried to take my head off". The fact that Torres did not raise his elbow, and Eberly popped right back up off the ice, I think Torres will only be suspended for a couple games. When you look at many of Torres's Hits its exactly what took place last night, and when he states that he thinks what he did was a "clean hit" it shows just how truly blind and dumb he is.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
see that is interesting, I totally think Torres did raise his elbow...

Northern Farm Kid
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
He didn't raise it, he stuck it out, and Eberle had dropped his head to Torres's elbow height. It should be treated the same as if he did raise his elbow I think though.

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM

I agree ....it wasnt a blatent bobby hall elbow but he forsure lead with and followed through with the elbow.

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
and Eberly popped right back up off the ice, I think Torres will only be suspended for a couple games.

Crosby popped back up even played a few shifts but how long has he been out?

coreya3212
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Absolutely interference, he hadnt touched the puck. Torres had full field of view and could have avoided a headshot regardless. He should see a 1 or 2 game timeout.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
He didn't raise it, he stuck it out, and Eberle had dropped his head to Torres's elbow height. It should be treated the same as if he did raise his elbow I think though.

fair enough but he definitely followed through with the elbow....

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM

If you watch right at the 50 second mark of that clip, you'll see Torres is keeping his elbow in tight to his body, he's not extending or raising it. What he is doing is aiming it for Eberle's head, while he extends himself into the hit, not quite leaving the ice but definately extending his body and full force into the elbow shot....without raising the elbow. Keeping the elbow in doesn't make it a clean hit....

TheClash
04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
If you watch right at the 50 second mark of that clip, you'll see Torres is keeping his elbow in tight to his body, he's not extending or raising it. What he is doing is aiming it for Eberle's head, while he extends himself into the hit, not quite leaving the ice but definately extending his body and full force into the elbow shot....without raising the elbow. Keeping the elbow in doesn't make it a clean hit....

if you read my above post I clarify what I meant...

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
if you read my above post I clarify what I meant...

Gotcha, I was still typing when you posted....:)

TheClash
04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
no worries lol

AB2506
04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
a few things to say....first off I am an oilers fan, but I am also a good hockey fan. I have no problem with big hits...I love to see a huge, clean, game changing hit.

here is what I think of the hit..after watching the video a few times:

we have the luxury of watching the video over and over, analyzing it and slowing it down etc to be able to form our opinion...on the ice they do not have that luxury. Decisions get made in a split second and then the consequences follow.

so, in that vein we have to look at what happened in those split seconds to see what the hit was like....and imho the hit was a bad one. The initial intent may have not been, but the decision to cut in towards Eberle rather than ride him off the puck and to then bring your elbow up to lead the hit instead of leading with your shoulder only to me is why the hit was a bad one. To be fair, Eberle was in a vulnerable position and did have his head down...but imho if the elbow had stayed down the hit would have been ok...a big hit no doubt, but ok in my mind. I think the fact that Torres has his gloves dropped almost as soon as he turns around shows that he knew that hit was going to carry repercussions. I do not think it was intended to be malicious, just a bad choice in those nanoseconds.

that is my opinion, but I am not saying it is right.

X2. Exactly! Nothing new from Torres, a marginal player that the Islanders wasted a 1st round pick on.

The Fisherman Guy
04-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Eberle has his head down, and Torres is correct - Eberle was vulnerable and got burned. However, Torres wasn't going for the puck. He was locked on Eberle and dropped him.

Hall and Eberle are fun to watch, but their style is like fancy pond hockey. They aren't expecting to be hunted for their dingle dangle showboat style. Any chance an opposing player can bring either of them back down to earth, you bet they will. I don't like seeing guys get hit like this, but if Hall and Eberle aren't going to play NHL hockey, they will be punished for thinking they can play their game, forgetting that they are going to be targeted.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Eberle has his head down, and Torres is correct - Eberle was vulnerable and got burned. However, Torres wasn't going for the puck. He was locked on Eberle and dropped him.

Hall and Eberle are fun to watch, but their style is like fancy pond hockey. They aren't expecting to be hunted for their dingle dangle showboat style. Any chance an opposing player can bring either of them back down to earth, you bet they will. I don't like seeing guys get hit like this, but if Hall and Eberle aren't going to play NHL hockey, they will be punished for thinking they can play their game, forgetting that they are going to be targeted.

I would agree that both players have some learning to do for sure.

Donkey Oatey
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
If Torres would have targeted 6" further down the body and hit the shoulder the effect would have been the same and Eberle wouldn't have been hit in the head. Torres targeted the head pure and simple. He had time to target Eberle further down the body and the result would have been the same without the danger of hitting to the head.

I say that should be first round of the playoffs riding the pine for Torres.

The Fisherman Guy
04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I would agree that both players have some learning to do for sure.

I agree, I want them to be around for a while and not leave the big show prematurely due to injuries.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't think there is any room for that kinda crap in the game . I don't care if he was leading with his elbow or what the case may be . There have been several serious injuries to many players this season due to cheep bs like that . I'm sure the league will make an example out of Torres . Only thing saving his but is that Eberle got right back up . It doent matter if your Eberle or 3rd or 4th line guy , those hits arent needed .

Torres is lucky Mcentire wasn't on the ice he would of boxes in his ears im sure . I'm sure next time around he will get a beating of his life as it is .

I think the league needs to seriously look in depth at these head shots , its just gonna wreck the game , if they don't .

TheClash
04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I agree, I want them to be around for a while and not leave the big show prematurely due to injuries.

yup, but the other side of the coin is exactly what Donkey brought up...if the hit had been to the shoulder rather than the head..and I do think Torres could have hit the shoulder instead, it would be a non-issue and it would have been a good hit.

The other issue I have heard discussed with this hit as well as other hits that are similar...not necessarily dirty or cheap..but hits where maybe a hit isn't necessary. The puck was not in the control of Eberle and according to many hockey gurus the purpose of a hit is to separate the player from the puck. Since this had already happened was the hit needed? I am not sure if I agree or disagree with that view...

Northern Farm Kid
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Torres won't be leaving the Big Show due to injuries, and I have to give it to O'MARRA for jumping in right away, it was awesome to see

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Torres won't be leaving the Big Show due to injuries, and I have to give it to O'MARRA for jumping in right away, it was awesome to see

It was good for O'marra to jump in, but he should have deferred to Strudwick who was right there....then at least Torres might have had some immediate consequences. As it was, he kinda won that altercation too....

mooseknuckle
04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
It was good for O'marra to jump in, but he should have deferred to Strudwick who was right there....then at least Torres might have had some immediate consequences. As it was, he kinda won that altercation too....

Yeah thats true. I'm on the fence as to the hit but torres had his gloves off about 1/2 second after he made contact so he must have thought he did something that wouldn't go over well? Eberle did seem to have his head down a bit? who knows I guess it's in the leagues hands now.

I was happy to see the oilers win against the nucks, as I have a long standing rivalry with my old buddies in van/vic. Of course they are going to the show and the oilers to the golf course but hey, if history repeats Van will blow it first round.

Skybuster
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I disagree with the very popular opinion in this thread. Yes the hit can be called a blindside hit, but it was not headhunting. Torres kept his elbow in to his body until after the hit. Due to Eberle leaning down and stretching for the puck, what would have been a shoulder to shoulder contact turned into a shoulder to head contact. Even that was softened when Eberle saw it coming at the last moment and pulled his head back.

I don't think Torres should be suspended for the hit. And I caution you who say these hits need to be removed from the game. Yes, head hunting, particularly with elbows like Matt Cooke has been doing need to be stopped. But a clean open ice hit like Torres on Eberle? What? if a guy has his head down you aren't allowed to hit him? Or maybe you are only allowed to hit him gently? Where does that line get drawn? I don't want to see any player removed from the game because of an injury, but the fact is Hockey (in Canada) is a very physical game. It is a very tricky line to draw that determines what hits are allowed and what hits aren't. We will see how the league interprets this hit.

And yes, I am a Canuck fan, so go ahead and take your best shot.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
no shots needed to be taken at you. I think you offer a valid other side of the coin view of the hit. Don't have to agree with it to see that it is a well thought out and understandable view of what went down.

For me personally I do not want to see the league regulate hits so much that they get eliminated from the game. But imho the tipping point for the Torres hit is the fact that he changes course....he clearly has the angle on the puck...which is not in control by Eberle and clearly changes his direction in order to hit Eberle rather than play the puck. Which is what we are taught right, play the man not the puck...however in this case no man had the puck...

Like you said it is in the hands of the league.

firegod74
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I think it was a bad hit. To bad Macintyre was on the bench in stead of the ice. He could have put Torres out of the game longer than the league will.

kreator
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I disagree with the very popular opinion in this thread. Yes the hit can be called a blindside hit, but it was not headhunting. Torres kept his elbow in to his body until after the hit. Due to Eberle leaning down and stretching for the puck, what would have been a shoulder to shoulder contact turned into a shoulder to head contact. Even that was softened when Eberle saw it coming at the last moment and pulled his head back.

I don't think Torres should be suspended for the hit. And I caution you who say these hits need to be removed from the game. Yes, head hunting, particularly with elbows like Matt Cooke has been doing need to be stopped. But a clean open ice hit like Torres on Eberle? What? if a guy has his head down you aren't allowed to hit him? Or maybe you are only allowed to hit him gently? Where does that line get drawn? I don't want to see any player removed from the game because of an injury, but the fact is Hockey (in Canada) is a very physical game. It is a very tricky line to draw that determines what hits are allowed and what hits aren't. We will see how the league interprets this hit.

And yes, I am a Canuck fan, so go ahead and take your best shot.

So let me get this straight...it was a blindside hit, but clean?

BrownBear416
04-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Imo I thought the hit was 90% shoulder 10% head.Interference perhaps,headhunting no..

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Clearly a head shot. Worst we have ever seen? No, but neither was Crosby's. Vancouver won't miss him that much in the playoffs though. Not a key contributor.

I'd say Torres in fact dug his own grave by admitting that Eberle was "vulnerable" but that he still had to "finish his check" to keep his job. He admitted being aware of the situation and risk and following through anyway.

Skybuster
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
So let me get this straight...it was a blindside hit, but clean?

I may have it wrong, but to me a blindside hit is one where one party doesn't see it coming. A clean hit is one where a guy puts his shoulder into the other guy. I don't see these as mutually exclusive. But I can't say I've read the exact rules for those definitionas in Hockey.

TreeGuy
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Oil fan here that watched the game and didn't have a huge issue with the hit. To me, even the 5 minutes was a little much. Eberle failed to live up to the obligation of protecting yourself at all times and absolutely put himself in an extremely vulnerable position. Torres was just doing what he is professionally obligated to do and obliterated him. It's called hockey ladies.

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Eberle failed to live up to the obligation of protecting yourself at all times and absolutely put himself in an extremely vulnerable position. Torres was just doing what he is professionally obligated to do and obliterated him.

Except nowhere in the rules do your points make any difference Tree. And I think what we need out of hockey altogether is the mentality that any player is "professionally obligated" to "obliterate" another player.

And from an entertainment business perspective alone, players that people pay to see being knocked out by players people DON'T pay to see (the marginal player who thinks he needs to play that way to keep his job) is a real business problem.

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Oil fan here that watched the game and didn't have a huge issue with the hit. To me, even the 5 minutes was a little much. Eberle failed to live up to the obligation of protecting yourself at all times and absolutely put himself in an extremely vulnerable position. Torres was just doing what he is professionally obligated to do and obliterated him. It's called hockey ladies.

With all due respect Tree, I gotta disagree with you on this one. Ultimately, hockey is about playing hard, scoring goals, and competing. Obliterating your opponent because the opportunity is there? Nope. At some point, the concept of sportsmanship has to come into the equation, or it will become a game of goons (Broadstreet Bullies anyone?), where the skilled players are destroyed by those who maybe don't have the skill but have a vicious streak.

I'm all for good clean hits, don't get me wrong. But there has to be a point, like seperating a man from the puck...But Torres had no intention of playing the puck, his only intention was to crush a much more skilled player who was reaching for the puck and didn't see him coming. Yes, Eberle put himself in a vulnerable position. Hockey players do it all the time to get at a puck, otherwise they wouldn't be competing. Does he deserve to get his head knocked off his shoulders for it, particularly since he didn't have the puck? Nope!

Last point, as a parent of a hockey player, (my son just finished a very good year of AA PeeWee, moving up to Bantam), I know what the cost involved is to have a kid play....Thousands of dollars a year, ($7K for me this year, probably 10K next)....never mind all the time and travel and inconvenience. We do it because we love the game, because John is wickedly competitive, and we're Canadian! My son put a really dirty slew foot on a superior kid this year, and I reamed him out royally for it. I told him it is not ethical for him to jeopardize another person's careerand health, after all they invest, just to 'get him', or get even, or whatever. Ethics and honor should still have a part in a sport, even one that is as intrinsically physical as hockey. Cheap shots are just that, Cheap. We teach our kids respect, should it not be a part of sports ethics as well? Look at the players who have had their careers cut short because of vicious, mindless hits....that's not what hockey is about. Clean hits, Yes. Dirty cheap stuff, keep it out of the game.

TC

PS I'm a Flames fan, no particular love of the Oilers or Eberle, but I love the game when it's played well....

Fisherpeak
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you Tree!Espesially coming from an Oilers fan.I know it`s been a tough season.
The man had his head down,reaching for the puck and got hit.Torres kept his elbow against his hip,if he wanted to do a shoulder check he would have had to drop to his knees.And if you watch close it looks like he was trying a hip check but didn`t turn in time.It IS called hockey boys.Remember that hit Gretz took at the blue line,looking back and reaching for a pass behind him?That one knocked 2 of MY teeth loose.He said later that it was his fault for having his head up his azz.
Canucks didn`t win the Presidents trophy by backing off.

Fisherpeak
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
AND,if you guys think the game has gone to hell,remember the Flyers when they won 2 Cups in a row,back in the 70`s.Broad Street Bullies,Filthy delphia Flyers..........Now there was brutal hockey ,and without helments.
Kinda like the Hanson Bro`s.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
totally disagree that Torres was trying to hip check Eberle....there is no indication he was going for a hip check at all imho.

To me why this hit is a "bad" hit is that Eberle did not have possession of the puck...and without possession of the puck in theory you are not supposed to be hit...in theory. This combined with the fact that Torres had the angle on the puck and chose to cut back and hit Eberle who did not have the puck. I think the 5 minutes was warranted, I do not think any more time is needed.

I 100% agree Eberle needs to have his head up and his wits about him....an unfortunate hit that could of had serious consequences......for both sides. Hopefully it makes Eberle a bit more aware and I really do not think any player likes to hurt or possibly end another players career.

mooseknuckle
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
AND,if you guys think the game has gone to hell,remember the Flyers when they won 2 Cups in a row,back in the 70`s.Broad Street Bullies,Filthy delphia Flyers..........Now there was brutal hockey ,and without helments.

Well I wasn't alive then but I worked for Tom Bladon a defenceman for the flyers for both of those cups he still holds an nhl record 4 goals, 4 assists by a defenseman in one game. He was a grumpy ol guy I think he took a few to many pucks to the head!! It was great talking hocke with him though.

Sorry not trying to jack the thread, 6 of one half dozen of the other, not the cleanest hit but eberle is just as much to blame.

Fisherpeak
04-06-2011, 02:44 PM
totally disagree that Torres was trying to hip check Eberle....there is no indication he was going for a hip check at all imho.

To me why this hit is a "bad" hit is that Eberle did not have possession of the puck...and without possession of the puck in theory you are not supposed to be hit...in theory. This combined with the fact that Torres had the angle on the puck and chose to cut back and hit Eberle who did not have the puck. I think the 5 minutes was warranted, I do not think any more time is needed.

I 100% agree Eberle needs to have his head up and his wits about him....an unfortunate hit that could of had serious consequences......for both sides. Hopefully it makes Eberle a bit more aware and I really do not think any player likes to hurt or possibly end another players career.

In a game that is played on ice at 30 miles an hour you only have a second(if you are lucky) to see everything that`s going on,make a decision and act.

I agree that the win was a moot point,Nucks don`t need it but if you are going to the playoffs on a high like they have,how do they tone it down for the last few games without losing the heat?
I hate seeing real cheap shots and any injuries but ........IMO ....this wasn`t a cheapie.That elboe was tight to his hip and Eberle had his head down like he was playing PeeWee hockey.You don`t get payed what these guys do if you are to dumb to look after yourself a bit.Now he has learned something,if he can remember it.

TheClash
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
tight to his hip till he followed through with it...but I do agree that I do not feel it was an intentionally cheap hit. An unfortunate hit based on poor decisions and poor discipline..on both players. imho...

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 02:48 PM

nevermind....

gman1978
04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
The problem with the game is that nobody is accountable for there actions. Clean hit or not it doesn't matter, if he knew he or one of the stars on his team would have to answer the bell in a big way with a big hit on a player such as Eberle. I think he would have laid up.

Kev
04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Did the league review and hand out additional suspension?? This thread was the first I saw of it.

Donkey Oatey
04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Did the league review and hand out additional suspension?? This thread was the first I saw of it.

Has a phone call with the league on Thursday.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=361099

Vancouver Canucks forward Raffi Torres is scheduled for a disciplinary hearing over the phone on Thursday over his elbow to the head of Jordan Eberle of the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night.

Late in the third period, Torres hit Eberle, who was reaching for the puck, and his elbow made contact with the Oiler forward's head.

Teammate Ryan O'Marra quickly came to the defence of Eberle and a spirited fight ensued.

Torres was assesed a 5-minute major penalty for elbowing and a game misconduct on the play, as well as a 5-minute major for fighting.

After the game, Torres defended the hit to reporters.

"It was a fine hit," said Torres. "I was finishing my hit and he had his head down. We were both going for the puck. I've got to finish my hits. He was obviously in a vulnerable position but at the end of the day I have to finish my hit or else I am out of a job.

"If they are trying to get rid of clean hits like that, what's this league going to be in a couple of years?"

New Hunter Okotoks
04-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I thought it was a good,solid hit at game speed. But after watching it a bunch of times,Torres does use his elbow but not in a deliberate manner.You can see him tuck it back in after the hit but I don't think that he specifically meant to target the head with his elbow but rather a good body check turned a bit bad because Eberle put HIMSELF in a bad position. If Eberle was in a better position (not bent down) then the hit would have hit the shoulder or mid-upper body area. The fact that his elbow was extended a bit was because it was a bit of a missed hit IMO. I think the 5 min. penalty might have been a bit of a kneejerk call. It only deserved 2minutes.

Eberle's one tough kid either way. Glad he's OK.

The Fisherman Guy
04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Except nowhere in the rules do your points make any difference Tree.

I disagree with you Okie. If a player will not take care of himself on the ice, he is putting himself at risk!!! Number one rule when going into a corner after the puck, keep your head up and maintain a high level of situational awareness. Eberle reached for the puck, was dragging his left leg, was not on balance which in turn puts his head lower than it should be when going into the corner. Torres was going to separate Eberle from the puck, not go for the puck - Like most forwards when entering a corner in a battle for puck control (Take care of the man first). Torres finished his check and Eberle paid the price because he was not playing heads up hockey, and beacuse his head was lower than it should be he made himself vulnerable at the last second before Torres contacted him. Eberle needs to learn that when he's going into a corner or he will get obliterated every time.

Plain and simple - If Eberle had kept his head up going into the corner; this would not have been the hit it turned out to be.

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure it's right, but I'm now more sure Torres won't get anything. I'm struck by something I haven't seen anyone mention yet... Oilers medical staff never took Eberle off for that 15 minute time-out/evaluation that is supposed to occur after a head shot. So by ommission the Oilers are admitting there was no head shot. They are now in no position to complain about anything the league may or may not impose on Torres.

Okotokian
04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I disagree with you Okie. If a player will not take care of himself on the ice, he is putting himself at risk!!! Number one rule when going into a corner after the puck, keep your head up and maintain a high level of situational awareness. Eberle reached for the puck, was dragging his left leg, was not on balance which in turn puts his head lower than it should be when going into the corner. Torres was going to separate Eberle from the puck, not go for the puck - Like most forwards when entering a corner in a battle for puck control (Take care of the man first). Torres finished his check and Eberle paid the price because he was not playing heads up hockey, and beacuse his head was lower than it should be he made himself vulnerable at the last second before Torres contacted him. Eberle needs to learn that when he's going into a corner or he will get obliterated every time.

Plain and simple - If Eberle had kept his head up going into the corner; this would not have been the hit it turned out to be.

Again, all good points that a player would be wise to follow. I'm not arguing that. But again, irrelevant to the rule. Is there a portion of the rule that states that no penalty is to be imposed if the player who was the victim of the hit put himself in a precarious position? No.

It's the same as in a traffic accident. Are charges against you for hitting a pedestrian in a cross-walk dropped if you can prove that the pedestrian didn't look both ways and wasn't careful? No.

Tundra Monkey
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=
It's the same as in a traffic accident. Are charges against you for hitting a pedestrian in a cross-walk dropped if you can prove that the pedestrian didn't look both ways and wasn't careful? No.[/QUOTE]

True...but if you had a camera and 1M people watching it....and he was skipping sideways with his back to the oncoming traffic......and skipped out into the crosswalk while the little hand was up to put himself into a risky position......the driver that was heading through the green light would not likely be found at fault :)

tm

HunterDave
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Torres has a mean streak in him and he took advantage of the situation. I was at a game one night where he deliberately hit a guy from behind face first into the boards. Why? because he was ticked off at the time. When he saw Erberle in a vulnerable position he took advantage of it and tried to do as much damage as possible. He could have just as easily gone shoulder on shoulder or let up on the hit. No, that hit was no unfortunate accident.........Torres knew exactly what he was doing. Head shot..........plain and simple. :(

The Fisherman Guy
04-06-2011, 05:36 PM
It's the same as in a traffic accident.
No, it is not. I fail to see the relevant parallel you are trying to make with your suggestion. The driver is not always at fault if a pedestrian is struck by that driver.

If this hit happened before all of the media hype on headshots, it wouldn’t have garnered as much attention as it has.

New Hunter Okotoks
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I sure hope that there is no suspension to Torres for that hit. It will send the following wrong messages:

If you are about to get hit clean,put yourself in a vulnerable position,risk injury and draw a penalty. Even if you get a broken neck,you are still right because hits delivered while you are vulnerable are illegal.

Be a trusting soul. Do not worry about your own safety on the ice. Leave that up to the other guys since they are not allowed to hurt you.

Go into corners face first since you cannot legally be hit that way.

When skating,stare at the ice,this puts you in a "Vulnerable Position" and is like having a forcefield around you.

Don't hit anybody. Assume that the player you are about to hit will turn his back to you at the last second and you will be penalized and likely suspended without pay.

threeforthree
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM

After reading this post 5 times ...YES you are a FLAMES fan.......:thinking-006::thinking-006:, show boat style...yes if you can not catch them .....knock them out anyway you can. You will get a couple games and they will be out for the rest of the season or maybe even thier career.Torres used his whole upper body to deliver the hit, Eberle was lower than normal reaching for the puck.

Donkey Oatey
04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
My problem with the hit is that it was targeting the head. Torres aimed at Eberle's head. If he would have aimed back 6" the hit would have been just as hard, would have kept Eberle from the puck and would have been clean.

I like hard hits. I like big open ice hits. I don't like hits to the head. This is the hit that the NHL is trying to get rid of. Once again a marginal role player targeting the other teams top scorer.

Yes Eberle put himself in a vulnerable position but Torres targeted the head.

The Fisherman Guy
04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
After reading this post 5 times ...YES you are a FLAMES fan.......:thinking-006::thinking-006:, show boat style...yes if you can not catch them .....knock them out anyway you can. You will get a couple games and they will be out for the rest of the season or maybe even thier career.Torres used his whole upper body to deliver the hit, Eberle was lower than normal reaching for the puck.

I am simply supporting the idea that guys that try their dingle dangle style in the NHL will be hunted.

Steckel on Crosby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2oQ0wxCKE

Fischer on Sedin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KqlAL-uA9Y&playnext=1&list=PL475487B363F0272A

Doughty on Hall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q87_VKEWwE

Fischer on Ovechkin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qq262BuI5w&feature=fvsr

Mike_W
04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Doughty made a clean hit on Hall.

The facts are is there are players in the league that you can clober and players you should not ....all stars small guys.
Sure Eberle shouldnt have put himself in that position but Torres could have went for the puck or bumped him off no need to clobber a guy like Eberle.

Years ago pre instigator rule all stars were not hit cause there was always a retaliation.
Getting tickets to a olier vs pitsburg game would be high on my list ....only if crosby was playing.

Im all for two tough guys getting in a scrap and a marginal player hitting another marginal player like if torres would have hit foster

But all stars are needed in the game and there are ways to check them without ending there game, season or carrier.

The Elkster
04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
What the heck. Eberle had his head so low and forward going for the puck you couldn't do anything but hit him in the frickin' head. He is easily as much to blame for the hit. Gimme a break! Maybe we should teach all the kids to lead with their head so they don't get hit eh. sheesh Too many oilers fans me's thinks. Eberle was going for the puck and in a stupid position doing so. Torres didn't leave his feet kept his arm to his side and laid the hit on at normal level and didn't speed up or veer severely to get the hit. Nor did he stick anything out (ie knee)... and he is the villian?! Is that what the game has come to?

The game sure has changed..."ladies" might just be the right word. May as well convert to the IRL...international ringette league.

Go 'nucks!!!!

Kanonfodder
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure it's right, but I'm now more sure Torres won't get anything. I'm struck by something I haven't seen anyone mention yet... Oilers medical staff never took Eberle off for that 15 minute time-out/evaluation that is supposed to occur after a head shot. So by ommission the Oilers are admitting there was no head shot. They are now in no position to complain about anything the league may or may not impose on Torres.

Actually you are wrong on the whole head shot thing Okie the Oilers are only required to take Eberle to the dressing room if he seems incoherent or hurt...there is no rule just cuz he suffered a head shot nor is it a mandatory 15 min looksie by the doc...

pogo
04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
there's only one reason Eberle bounced up like did. Torres laid off him. Torres could have done either of two things if he really wanted to hurt young Eberle:

1. He could have used more elbow as opposed to keeping his elbow mostly tucked against his side.

2. He could have lowered his shoulder into Eberle's head.

Either of those two things and Eberle would still be out.

Kanonfodder
04-06-2011, 10:28 PM
there's only one reason Eberle bounced up like did. Torres laid off him. Torres could have done either of two things if he really wanted to hurt young Eberle:

1. He could have used more elbow as opposed to keeping his elbow mostly tucked against his side.

2. He could have lowered his shoulder into Eberle's head.

Either of those two things and Eberle would still be out.

LOL the above is laughable ....:snapoutofit:

Torres own quote indicates he thought it was a clean hit and that he finished his hit...so his own words indicate he never "laid off him" Torres hit will be the standard for headshots next year and a video will be sent to all teams....IMO he gets 2 games suspension..

pogo
04-06-2011, 10:48 PM
LOL the above is laughable ....:snapoutofit:

Torres own quote indicates he thought it was a clean hit and that he finished his hit...so his own words indicate he never "laid off him" Torres hit will be the standard for headshots next year and a video will be sent to all teams....IMO he gets 2 games suspension..

He finished his hit about as lightly as he could.

What's with you Coilers/Lames fans anyway? Can't take it? B.C. sends Alberta these lovely warm chinooks in the middle of their Siberian like winters like soft little kisses, and all Alberta sends B.C. back across the Rockies is a bluddy loud droning miserable chorus of whines about their woeful hockey teams and sooky players.

:snapoutofit:

Kanonfodder
04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
We send you socialist pot smokers millions in transfer payments so you can afford your cappuccinos.....enjoy your typical first round exit AGAIN lol ..... you couldnt beat an AHL team so it will look good on you....GO HAWKS !!!

Come on we cant even make bra jokes about the Niks...they haven't even won a Cup...

40 years of.....well sweet FA lol do you guys hand out the President Trophy Rings before or after the Hawks eliminate you?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jamie
04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
We send you socialist pot smokers millions in transfer payments so you can afford your cappuccinos.....enjoy your typical first round exit AGAIN lol ..... you couldnt beat an AHL team so it will look good on you....GO HAWKS !!!

Come on we cant even make bra jokes about the Niks...they haven't even won a Cup...

40 years of.....well sweet FA lol do you guys hand out the President Trophy Rings before or after the Hawks eliminate you?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

There is some truth in the above.. If we get beyond lucky and make the playoffs, I WANT Van in the first round. Thats where most "Good" teams seem to fail.
I think if Van can get by the first round.. WATCH OUT!! You can start planning the parade route.

Jamie

pogo
04-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Well, I don't know about pot like you do, but better a comfortable socialist than a starving independant.

What's up with a team that ices that much talent and finishes DEAD LAST?! Must be that knuckle dragger mentality hasn't caught up with the modern game of NHL hockey!

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pogo
04-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I think the Coilers finished dead last, didn't they? My computer screen isn't big enough to show those teams at the bottom of the standings, so I haven't checked in a while! Calgary came into view eventually.......:innocent:

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Well, for all those who think what Torres did was just good clean hockey, all I can say is....BS. If it was your kid that took a hit like that, you would change your tune in a hurry I'd guess. The best hockey I watch in any given year is the World Juniors, where you just don't see all that crap, and every kid out there is pure skill, speed, and competitive spirit. That's real hockey in my books. If you want to see the blood, stupid staged fights over clean checks, headshots, cheap shots and the rest of the ugly side of 'hockey', go watch MMA instead to get your fix. Or a dog fight, cockfight, whatever. Hockey can be a great game without being mindless and vicious.

JoeBloe
04-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, for all those who think what Torres did was just good clean hockey, all I can say is....BS. If it was your kid that took a hit like that, you would change your tune in a hurry I'd guess. The best hockey I watch in any given year is the World Juniors, where you just don't see all that crap, and every kid out there is pure skill, speed, and competitive spirit. That's real hockey in my books.

Riiiiiight: zack kassian (http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/556630-world-junior-travesty-zack-kassian-shows-that-the-iihf-needs-to-grow-up)

If we get beyond lucky and make the playoffs....

Jamie

???????? Uhhh.... Their season is over. Ducks won.

Twisted Canuck
04-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Riiiiiight: zack kassian (http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/556630-world-junior-travesty-zack-kassian-shows-that-the-iihf-needs-to-grow-up)

So you bring up a (very rare) exception to my coment about juniors to what, prove my point that this crap doesn't belong in hockey? I agree with you then. TC

JoeBloe
04-06-2011, 11:56 PM
So you bring up a (very rare) exception to my coment about juniors to what... TC

Oh...would you like another example?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=jZMEE7tlq6A

pogo
04-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Well, for all those who think what Torres did was just good clean hockey, all I can say is....BS. If it was your kid that took a hit like that, you would change your tune in a hurry I'd guess. The best hockey I watch in any given year is the World Juniors, where you just don't see all that crap, and every kid out there is pure skill, speed, and competitive spirit. That's real hockey in my books. If you want to see the blood, stupid staged fights over clean checks, headshots, cheap shots and the rest of the ugly side of 'hockey', go watch MMA instead to get your fix. Or a dog fight, cockfight, whatever. Hockey can be a great game without being mindless and vicious.

The obvious explanation to this is: money corrupts. Besides, Torres' hit was rather mild in comparison to some. It's just that it happened to you. The whine across the Rockies makes a terrible din.

baitfisher83
04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
If Eberle had not gotten up from this hit, would the opinion of biased Nucks fans out there be different??would they still claim it was a "clean" hit just because he had his head down?
I love how people like to use stupid excuses like this, it's not the first time Torres has been a dirty player. But I know, just because he wears a Nucks jersey it's not considered dirty, he's just making "clean hits". Lets see the uproar if one of the Sedin sisters ever takes a shot like that to the head. I know they'll be whining in Vancouver saying the hitter had no right hitting a Sedin. I'm not even a Nucks or Oilers fan and I think the hit was absolute bull****.

But go ahead, no matter who gets hit and where, as long as their head is down they're fair game and deserve an attempt at decapitation. Especially if their team isn't in contention for anything. "Oh well the he'll have a lot of time to heal now".

pogo
04-07-2011, 09:30 AM
"Oh well the he'll have a lot of time to heal now".

You said it! In no way do I endorse head shots at any level of hockey, and contrary to some poster's beliefs, but consistent with their ignorance, and I won't name names except that it rhymes with "twisted canuck", is the fact that head shots ARE happening at ALL levels of hockey today, at a disgustingly increasing rate, and we only have ourselves to blame.

I do, however, get a kick out of the sudden whine eminating from this forum because.............it happened to you........

"It had to be you, it had to be you
I wandered around, and finally found
The somebody who
Could make me be true,
And could make me be blue
And even be glad, just to be sad
Thinking of you"- Frank Sinatra.

"there's something happinin here
what it is aint exactly clear
theres a man with a gun over there
tellin me i got to beware

i think it's time we stop, children
what's that sound
everybody look what's goin down

there's battle lines being drawn
nobody's right if everybody's wrong
young people speakin their minds
getting so much resistance far behind

it's time we stop,
hey what's that sound
everybody look what's goin down"
- Buffalo Springfield.

The Fisherman Guy
04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Especially if their team isn't in contention for anything.

So if a team isn't in contention for the post season, any opposing team should ease up on them... just to be "nice"?

...head shots ARE happening at ALL levels of hockey today, at a disgustingly increasing rate, and we only have ourselves to blame.

Why in your opinion do we have ourselves to blame? Do "we" make the rules?

Open your eyes: Eberle put himself at risk, and he paid the price. Stop being so sensitive, as Tree Guy said - It's called hockey ladies. This comes from an experienced player, who has played competitively and knows the game from an on ice level.

I have to ask Baitfisher and Pogo: Have either of you played competitive, full contact hockey?

If you have been LAID OUT with a clean hit by an opposing player, because you put yourself at risk - you learn pretty damn quick not to repeat your mistake!!!

Fisherpeak
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Well said.It`s HOCKEY not Soccer.

Doodle30
04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
My 2 cents.

For me the circumstances are the same as when Steve Moore Hit Markus Naslund (Marginal Player hitting a skilled player in a vulnerable position) and I think we know what Vancouver fans thought of that hit. As a organization they should not be complaining about any league action.

Now the league is even more protective of players in vulnerable positions. I think he will get 1 game. By only giving players like Heatley 2 games for a blantant elbow to the head how can you give this more than one game.

I am not one of those fans that thinks marginal players should not hit skilled players.

baitfisher83
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I love the people that act as if one person hasn't played the sport that makes their opinion invalid. Get over yourselves, not everyone could afford to play these sports as kids.

TheClash
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I think any player should be able hit any player...marginal, skilled or a bag of pucks who cares..you step on the ice you should expect to get hit....when a hit is acceptable. That, imho, is where this hit is not acceptable. Not how hard it was, not if he lead/finished with an elbow or if Eberle was in poor positioning ( I think a bit of both actually)...but the fact that a hit is supposed to be used to separate a player from the puck and Eberle, imho, did not have the puck...your view may differ and I am ok with that...it is a thin line there. Did he have control of the puck and therefore open to a hit, or was he going for the puck and not in control, or should players reaching for a loose puck expect a hit as well. All parts of the equation.

we can all sit here and talk about if it was or wasn't...and who has played at what level and who hasn't, but the truth of the matter is that the professionals on the ice with the duty to judge infractions deemed it unacceptable and I would wager that they have more experience than any of us with calling nhl caliber games. I do not think he needs any further suspension....the 5 minute was enough imho.

I do hope that this sharpens up Eberle a bit because I do also agree that Torres has a job out there and is intent on doing it...and just because it is a worst vs. first game....or you are the "star" of the other team shouldn't matter one lick.

The Fisherman Guy
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I think any player should be able hit any player...marginal, skilled or a bag of pucks who cares..you step on the ice you should expect to get hit....when a hit is acceptable. That, imho, is where this hit is not acceptable. Not how hard it was, not if he lead/finished with an elbow or if Eberle was in poor positioning ( I think a bit of both actually)...but the fact that a hit is supposed to be used to separate a player from the puck and Eberle, imho, did not have the puck...your view may differ and I am ok with that...it is a thin line there. Did he have control of the puck and therefore open to a hit, or was he going for the puck and not in control, or should players reaching for a loose puck expect a hit as well. All parts of the equation.

we can all sit here and talk about if it was or wasn't...and who has played at what level and who hasn't, but the truth of the matter is that the professionals on the ice with the duty to judge infractions deemed it unacceptable and I would wager that they have more experience than any of us with calling nhl caliber games. I do not think he needs any further suspension....the 5 minute was enough imho.

I do hope that this sharpens up Eberle a bit because I do also agree that Torres has a job out there and is intent on doing it...and just because it is a worst vs. first game....or you are the "star" of the other team shouldn't matter one lick.

That sums it up, well said Clash.

Get over yourselves, not everyone could afford to play these sports as kids.

Contact hockey begins at an adolescent level, with exception of my first two years of contact hockey - every other year of hockey has been made possible by enabling myself to do so. Quit whining, and enable yourself. You are the only person standing in your way from doing so.

New Hunter Okotoks
04-07-2011, 12:00 PM
My 2 cents.

For me the circumstances are the same as when Steve Moore Hit Markus Naslund (Marginal Player hitting a skilled player in a vulnerable position) and I think we know what Vancouver fans thought of that hit. As a organization they should not be complaining about any league action.

Now the league is even more protective of players in vulnerable positions. I think he will get 1 game. By only giving players like Heatley 2 games for a blantant elbow to the head how can you give this more than one game.

I am not one of those fans that thinks marginal players should not hit skilled players.

Naslund Hit....... Now I'll be hated with my opinion on this whole deal.

Steve Moore nailed Naslund with a good,solid hit. He also should have known that it would stir things up which it did. When Bertuzzi went after him, Moore should not have turned his back to him. Obviously Bertuzzi is 100% to blame for suckering a player from behind;I don't dispute that. But I also think that if a guy is trying to pick a fight with you,the last thing you should do is turn your back. If Moore would not have turned his back to a player being aggressive towards him,he would not have sustained the injury that he did which ended his career.

Doodle30
04-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Naslund Hit....... Now I'll be hated with my opinion on this whole deal.

Steve Moore nailed Naslund with a good,solid hit. He also should have known that it would stir things up which it did. When Bertuzzi went after him, Moore should not have turned his back to him. Obviously Bertuzzi is 100% to blame for suckering a player from behind;I don't dispute that. But I also think that if a guy is trying to pick a fight with you,the last thing you should do is turn your back. If Moore would not have turned his back to a player being aggressive towards him,he would not have sustained the injury that he did which ended his career.

If you go back and check Steve Moore did fight in that game. He answered Matt Cooke's challenge in the first period I think it was. Problem for Bertuzzi I guess is that Steve Moore got at least a draw in that fight.

If Steve Moore hit Naslund with a solid, clean check, and he already answered the bell once with Matt Cooke why does he have to fight a guy that is twice his size? Is he expected to keep fighting until someone pounds the crap out of him?

Besides, me bringing up that Naslund hit was about the fact that Vancouver thought that was an hard hit on a vulnerable player. Seems like the shoe is on the other foot here is all I'm saying.

Doodle

pogo
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
So if a team isn't in contention for the post season, any opposing team should ease up on them... just to be "nice"?

Why in your opinion do we have ourselves to blame? Do "we" make the rules?

Open your eyes: Eberle put himself at risk, and he paid the price. Stop being so sensitive, as Tree Guy said - It's called hockey ladies. This comes from an experienced player, who has played competitively and knows the game from an on ice level.

I have to ask Baitfisher and Pogo: Have either of you played competitive, full contact hockey?

If you have been LAID OUT with a clean hit by an opposing player, because you put yourself at risk - you learn pretty damn quick not to repeat your mistake!!!

Come on, FG. The scouts aren't in the stands anymore, so who are you trying to kid? Hmm?

Sounds like you played when concussions were known as "bell rung". How many times for you?

And, yes. We do make the rules. Get involved.

New Hunter Okotoks
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM
If you go back and check Steve Moore did fight in that game. He answered Matt Cooke's challenge in the first period I think it was. Problem for Bertuzzi I guess is that Steve Moore got at least a draw in that fight.

If Steve Moore hit Naslund with a solid, clean check, and he already answered the bell once with Matt Cooke why does he have to fight a guy that is twice his size? Is he expected to keep fighting until someone pounds the crap out of him?

Besides, me bringing up that Naslund hit was about the fact that Vancouver thought that was an hard hit on a vulnerable player. Seems like the shoe is on the other foot here is all I'm saying.

Doodle

I did not know that he fought Cooke. I did not watch the game just the news about the Bertuzzi sucker punch. And you're right;Vancouver does have the shoe on the other foot and better get used to wearing it LOL!!! They cannot have it both ways.

My take on the Naslund hit and the aftermath was just a bit of an exageration about not putting oneself in a vulnerable position. Turning your back to a guy that wants to fight you;whether on or off the ice is putting yourself in a vulnerable position. If that Colorado player had not grabbed Bertuzzi's arm after the first sucker punch the second punch that he wanted to give Moore while Moore was face down on the ice might have killed him.

Todd Bertuzzi is from my home town. I worked for his uncle and his cousin was on my line in highschool hockey. I still think he is a knob for what he did to Steve Moore and he lost just about all respect he had in his life,not just in the NHL.

TreeGuy
04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
And round 'n round we go......

I find it comical in situations like these when people throw out the phrase, "He was targeting the head". Puleeeezzz. At those speeds it's tough enough just to make contact with the entire body.

Now, had Torres made contact with a high crossbow while riding a feral horse, THEN I would be all for a suspension. :D

Anyhoo......carry on. :)

Doodle30
04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I did not know that he fought Cooke. I did not watch the game just the news about the Bertuzzi sucker punch. And you're right;Vancouver does have the shoe on the other foot and better get used to wearing it LOL!!! They cannot have it both ways.

My take on the Naslund hit and the aftermath was just a bit of an exageration about not putting oneself in a vulnerable position. Turning your back to a guy that wants to fight you;whether on or off the ice is putting yourself in a vulnerable position. If that Colorado player had not grabbed Bertuzzi's arm after the first sucker punch the second punch that he wanted to give Moore while Moore was face down on the ice might have killed him.

Todd Bertuzzi is from my home town. I worked for his uncle and his cousin was on my line in highschool hockey. I still think he is a knob for what he did to Steve Moore and he lost just about all respect he had in his life,not just in the NHL.

I respect Moore for turning his back on someone that he isn't going to fight than I do guys that pretend they are going to fight only to goat a guy into a penalty.

kreator
04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
4 games for Torres. 2 regular season, 2 playoff.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canuck+Raffi+Torres+miss+first+playoff+games+with+ four+game+suspension/4576825/story.html

The Fisherman Guy
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you played when concussions were known as "bell rung". How many times for you?

You didn't answer my question Pogo, however in my final post on this squak-fest thread, I will answer yours.

In the 21 odd years that I have been playing the game, I have not suffered a concussion from hockey as of yet.

Perhaps you can direct us in your implied direction of where the application for NHL rule changes can be found.

See you on the ice fellas...

Twisted Canuck
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
You said it! In no way do I endorse head shots at any level of hockey, and contrary to some poster's beliefs, but consistent with their ignorance, and I won't name names except that it rhymes with "twisted canuck", is the fact that head shots ARE happening at ALL levels of hockey today, at a disgustingly increasing rate, and we only have ourselves to blame.

I do, however, get a kick out of the sudden whine eminating from this forum because.............it happened to you........

What are you on about man? It didn't happen to me. It didn't happen to a team I'm even a fan of, or a player I'm particularily in love with.....breathe through the nose, and get over yourself. It's really ok to call a dirty hit for what it is, the only whining I hear is coming out of you.

Twisted Canuck
04-07-2011, 03:30 PM
4 games for Torres. 2 regular season, 2 playoff.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canuck+Raffi+Torres+miss+first+playoff+games+with+ four+game+suspension/4576825/story.html

WHAT!! A suspension for a clean hit, those IDIOTS.....:thinking-006:

Too bad he didn't get 10 games.

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
This is top shelf entertainment.....shoot outs have nothing on this thread

Lone_Wolf
04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
So glad Eberle was alright. It could have been way worse with the angle he was skating at. Could have easily fractured a cervical vertebrate.

I am also glad to see Torres suspended. As well all know they totally dropped the ball with not suspending Chara, but did get it right with Cooke and now this. What Torres did was completely careless and without respect for his fellow player.

I wonder what the answer is to headshots. There was an interesting round table discussion on HNIC I believe a while back (just after the Chara incident). One analyst suggested for headshots it is an automatic 10 game suspension, the team must play a man down during the suspension (cannot call up or sign anyone to fill the empty position), the player be fined, and the team face a fine against their salary cap that lowers it. I like that idea, because it will wake players up to the fact there is no room for headshots and maybe even eradicate chronic offenders like Matt Cooke.

Twisted Canuck
04-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I heard an interesting proposal to take headshots out of the game, not sure the original source but heard it on a radio call in show. If a player is deemed to have made a headshot, whether by the on ice official or by review, they will be suspended 10 games, the player is to be fined $x dollars, the team fined $xx dollars, and this is the kicker, the team will forfeit 2 points (a win) in the standings! If you are in a tight playoff race, that two points is potentially life or death, do you see a Torres cutting in to hit Eberle as he is vulnerable and reaching for the puck, or do you see him angle Eberle towards the board while he plays the puck (instead of ignoring the puck altogether while he lines up his opponent for a cheap shot)?

I think a rule like that could end the cheap stuff in a hurry!

pogo
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
You didn't answer my question Pogo, however in my final post on this squak-fest thread, I will answer yours.

In the 21 odd years that I have been playing the game, I have not suffered a concussion from hockey as of yet.

Perhaps you can direct us in your implied direction of where the application for NHL rule changes can be found.

See you on the ice fellas...

21 years, eh? And you never had your bell rung? What do have? Eggs in your pockets? Or, you just don't like the corners? Heck, most ice fisherman in 21 years have had their bell rung at least once just falling out of their chair.

The rules are already there to take headshots out of the game. All they have to do is blow the whistle and make it expensive.

Keep your head up and your stick on the ice, brother.

ishootbambi
04-08-2011, 12:34 AM
the comments in this thread make me chuckle. its obvious who has played this game above the house level and who is simply a fan without a real understanding of the intricancies of the game.

as for the hit, it could have been avoided easy enough, but has been allowed for far too long. a simple rule change would allow everyone to play hard without worrying about what is or isnt legal or clean. make it as clear as the nfl has to protect their players. a hit to the head is a penalty....end of story. the sooner the league takes a stand, the better it will be for everyone.

Toe823
04-08-2011, 01:09 AM
I love hard hitting hockey, i had no problem with this hit...I know you oiler fans dont like the hit, but you will give a standing ovation when McIntyre knocks someone out when punching them in the face with the sledgehammers he has at the end of each arm!!...get rid of hitting, may as well get rid of fighting as well. I have seen way more damage from fights than hits??
hockey is fine the way it is...hard hits and fighting as part of the game.
penalties for legal hits are getting out of hand in my opinion, the game is getting soft!!
just my 2 cents...

goober
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I love hard hitting hockey, i had no problem with this hit...I know you oiler fans dont like the hit, but you will give a standing ovation when McIntyre knocks someone out when punching them in the face with the sledgehammers he has at the end of each arm!!...get rid of hitting, may as well get rid of fighting as well. I have seen way more damage from fights than hits??
hockey is fine the way it is...hard hits and fighting as part of the game.
penalties for legal hits are getting out of hand in my opinion, the game is getting soft!!
just my 2 cents...

Just wondering what level of hockey you are watching? The stats from studies done this year don't lie. 80 concusions in the NHL this year with only 8(10%) caused by fighting. When you combine legal checks and checks to be deemed illigal you get over 60% of concusions. The WHL study showed that only 7% of concusions were caused by fighting. So again I ask what league are you watching where you are seeing all this damage caused by fighting? A hit like the Torres hit can not be compared to fighting at any level of hockey! Last year the Torres hit was a clean hit but fact of the matter is that they added rules to protect the players. Based on this new rule that was an illegal hit! The only way it would be clean was if there was no contact at all wether deliberate or accidental with Eberle's head. Nobody on here has argued that there was no contact at all with the head, so how can we even be arguing that it was clean? Contact with the head is now illegal and good on them for adding the rule as it is about time!! That play could have easily been avoided!! Look to see way more of these suspensions until guy's like Raffe and Matt Cook clue in that they can not do it!!!:)

Toe823
04-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Just wondering what level of hockey you are watching? The stats from studies done this year don't lie. 80 concusions in the NHL this year with only 8(10%) caused by fighting. When you combine legal checks and checks to be deemed illigal you get over 60% of concusions. The WHL study showed that only 7% of concusions were caused by fighting. So again I ask what league are you watching where you are seeing all this damage caused by fighting? A hit like the Torres hit can not be compared to fighting at any level of hockey! Last year the Torres hit was a clean hit but fact of the matter is that they added rules to protect the players. Based on this new rule that was an illegal hit! The only way it would be clean was if there was no contact at all wether deliberate or accidental with Eberle's head. Nobody on here has argued that there was no contact at all with the head, so how can we even be arguing that it was clean? Contact with the head is now illegal and good on them for adding the rule as it is about time!! That play could have easily been avoided!! Look to see way more of these suspensions until guy's like Raffe and Matt Cook clue in that they can not do it!!!:)

im just saying, legal or not the rules are softening, which hit do you find worse...Mcintyre knocking out Ivanans, or Torres hit on Eberle...Eberle didnt miss a shift, Ivanans missed 81 games, and probably ended his career. Im just saying, what I think is coming next...no fighting in the NHL...sad day when that happens...but it is just my opinion. Im not condoning dirty play, but players put themselves in bad positions it seems. Im not a Torres fan, but i dont think he is anywhere near what Matt Cooke is...

goober
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
im just saying, legal or not the rules are softening, which hit do you find worse...Mcintyre knocking out Ivanans, or Torres hit on Eberle...Eberle didnt miss a shift, Ivanans missed 81 games, and probably ended his career. Im just saying, what I think is coming next...no fighting in the NHL...sad day when that happens...but it is just my opinion. Im not condoning dirty play, but players put themselves in bad positions it seems. Im not a Torres fan, but i dont think he is anywhere near what Matt Cooke is...

Torres hit with out a question is worse then macintyre vs Ivanins. There is no rule in hockey that says only body shots are allowed in fights but there is a rule about hits to the head when checking a player. Like I said before you can not compare these 2 incidents as they are night and day different.

Twisted Canuck
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Just curious why it's a sad day when there is no more fighting or head shots in hockey? Eliminating them doesn't 'soften up the game', it's way too fast and physical for that to ever happen. What it does is clean the game up, which it needs in the worst kind of way. There are plenty of things for you to watch if you like that blood sport aspect (MMA, boxing). Hockey is a great game without the cheap, dirty hits or fighting. Half the fights that occur are because of somebody jumping in to 'defend' his team mate who just got hit cleanly. The other half are staged by guys before the puck drops...only a really small percentage are justified, like O'Marra jumping in on Torres the other night...

Hockey is probably the fastest game out there, and the skill level is amazing, the hand eye coordination, the grace these pros bring to the game. Why does it need to be interrupted on a regular basis for fighting? It's a sideshow at best. I won't miss it when it does go.

TreeGuy
04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
The lack of respect in the game started the day the nattering-ninnies in head office decided to remove the instigator rule and give an automatic 10 games for leaving the bench. Let the players police themselves.