PDA

View Full Version : rock guard suggestions

coorslight
04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
whats the best rock guard way to do your truck your self or get it proffesionally done wat does it cost

dewalt18
04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Duplicolor roll on box liner is supposed to work incredible.... gonna do my rockers as soon as the weather smartens up!

Ryry4
04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I had my truck sprayed with Line-X instead of putting rocker panels on it.

Slash8
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Line "X" ..... x 2

coorslight
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM
i wanna do like the bottom four inches of the truck so you just get them to spary that on the bottom of your truck or can you buy the stuff and do it your self

Ryry4
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
i wanna do like the bottom four inches of the truck so you just get them to spary that on the bottom of your truck or can you buy the stuff and do it your self

That's exactly what the did to mine. Just make sure that they tape the top portion of your truck well. When they did mine there was a little bit of over spray that had to be cleaned off.

Nait Hadya
04-08-2011, 07:21 PM
whats the best rock guard way to do your truck your self or get it proffesionally done wat does it cost

ive had it in my truck and was less than impressed Wit it. i would reserve passing judgement on it as it was bought years ago. it was, the stuff that they sold at can tire was expensive ,though you could occasionally get it on sale 2/1. get it done professional as hits to the spray can stuff don't seem to stand up to the rocksass well. it was great for hiding imperfections in the bodywork,though. think theres still some of it in the garage,somewhere...

Rackmastr
04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
That's exactly what the did to mine. Just make sure that they tape the top portion of your truck well. When they did mine there was a little bit of over spray that had to be cleaned off.

What did it cost you to have the bottom portion of your truck done?

Fishmaster
04-08-2011, 07:40 PM
are you lookin for rock guard or bed liner?

great white whaler
04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I charge $600,i use the stuff that comes in a one litre can ,i have the proper gun to apply this coating.wax and grease remove before sanding, mask what you don't want sprayed ,than apply three coats of rock guard , let dry between coats,than paint to match.

Jiffy10
04-09-2011, 08:02 AM
There are two products available that will do the Job.
The first one is an actual Rocker guard in a spray can .
This product is either black or a cream color. The cream color
can be painted over . It can be blended into a body line that
makes it look real slick. The black one is simply black and thats it!
This product stays a bit soft and absorbs rocks etc but bounces back.

The other product is a Bed liner Kit . Its black and its harder.
Its real easy to use and its cheap compared to the $600 stuff
that the spray in guys are using. If you have the time.... its teriffic.
It comes in a 1 gal kit with all the application stuff IE roller etc.
Or you can buy it in a 1 qt can. The smaller can is made to add
to the Big Kit if you run out or want to give your box one more coat
etc. So if you only need a quart.... you need a roller etc.

Ive used both over the years and they both have their pros and cons.

Your choices for the DIY are both at Partsource .

Redfrog
04-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Good info ther Jiffy. :) Thanks

Any tips for doing the job?

ctd
04-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I used the spray guard from Canadiantire, it did a awesome job. It will not protect your rockers fully, but what it does do is act as a sacrificial surface that will wear away. It has to be touched up yearly but for the cost I think it is well worth it.
A friend of mine had LineX applied to his rocker panels and had some issues with it chipping off. Which they fixed the chips but water had gotten behind the product and started to rust the metal, it was to late by the time he found out the full damage.

He now uses rock guard from Canadiantire.