PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tips!

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
If anyone has ANY quick tips or tricks that there are open to share i would gladly appreciate them.
i am writing a book on fishing tips and tricks.
I know i have some people on the forum bugging me about this and my notebook is mainly about:
Walleye,Pike,Whitefish,Perch, And some species of trout including how to catch the monster browns everytime you go out.
but i do got tips for all species.
if you want to be apart of it id be gladly mention your user name in the book for contarbuting to this.

Thanks

Dustin

PS:I hope this is made sticky so everyone can contribute tips, tricks and anything else they feel gives them an edge on fishing.

Daceminnow
04-06-2011, 08:24 PM
if anyone has any quick tips or tricks that there are open to share i would gladly appreciate them.
I am writing a book on fishing tips and tricks.
I know i have some people on the forum bugging me about this and my notebook is mainly about:
Walleye,pike,whitefish,perch, and some species of trout including how to catch the monster browns everytime you go out.
But i do got tips for all species.
If you want to be apart of it id be gladly mention your user name in the book for contarbuting to this.

Thanks

dustin

thats my boy!

Jwood 456
04-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Tried to send you some tips through a PM, but your mailbox is full.

Tyangelo
04-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Good luck on the book bro! It'd be even cooler to credit AO members on each tip, quote style. Be very community based. Just an idea. I'm sure I could ramble on about pike all day, but there's some other really pro pike guts on here...(not claiming to be one if them.)

After some thinking, I would say that I've got 4 tips that should help out.

1. Use good, heavy line, and QUALITY leaders, at least 8-12". Pike aren't shy, so take advantage of that, and protect your $25 plugs and stickbaits.

2. Use ONE big single hook on your plugs, on the tail end. You will make less of a mess with small pike, and always guarantee the best possible hook set.

3. If pike are being picky during hardwater fishing, rapidly jig a 5 o' D Thompson. Usually they will come hit that. I've seen them move away from staring at a tip-up smelt, and nail the spoon.

4. Go deep for bigger pike in summer. Although fairly common knowledge among enthusiasts, alot of new-comers start catching hammer-handles in the weeds, and assume all pike are shallow. In the middle of the summer, not the case. When it's hot, I've found most big pike to cruise deep drop-offs into the basin, or erratic structure, below 12 FOW, even up to 40 ft. My personal best was caught in 26 FOW in Pigeon, 3 years ago, trolling a Down Deep Hudky Jerk. Lure was running around 20 ft. Deep.

mooseknuckle
04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Royalties?

Jwood 456
04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I have some tips that I would like to post. These are all from personal expereince. I have quite a few good tips for perch and summer walleye IMO.

Perch:
When it comes fishing for perch, it's good to be mobile. If your fishing for perch, try to find a depth chart of the lake and look for sandy bottom around islands, on sand flats, on sand bars, on or near underwater humps, on large shoals, and near or on sandy drop-offs. Next after the structure is found, drill a series of holes around a fairly large area. Try 7Fow to 30Fow. If the perch don't bite in the first hole for 15 min, move to different holes until you feel a bite. If one hole produces good, it usually only will for a bit then the bite slows down or stops. The trick is to find another school or the same school of fish by going to or drilling a different hole around the structure and fishing it.

When it comes to lure choice, use a Fiskas jig or a perch eye lure made by C.G.Emery International or a 0.25 or 0.5’’ double solid tailed white grub. The maggots also hands down are the best perch bait IMO. Just tip the lures with magotts until the hook is hidden. My personal favorite lure colours to use, are yellow, orange, green and white. Just twitch the lure a couple centimeters then slowly dance it about an inch and hold it still for about 4secs or more. Most of the hits seem to happen when the lure is paused.
Justin Wood (Jwood 456)

Summer Lake Walleye:
When it comes to lake fishing for summer walleye, these are a few good tricks IMO. The first thing to do, is to look for sharp sandy or and rocky drop offs around edges of shoals, around points, and around islands. Underwater humps that are sandy or rocky, sandbars, pits and around river inlets are also a good bet IMO.

My personal favorite technique and lure is an orange and chartreuse Apex feather flasher jig tipped with a spotail shiner. To find the fish, I like to troll that jig along the bottom around the desired structure until I get a bite. I then set anchor and swiftly twitch the jig on the bottom of the lake. The twitching technique involves letting the line go slack and swiftly lifting the rod tip just until the tension of the jig is felt. The pattern should be like this( twitch, pause, twitch, pause,twitch). The the next step is to pause the jig for 3 or more secs and slowly lift it off of the bottom of the lake. Countless times, I lifted the jig off of the bottom of the lake feeling the weight of a fish on it. One thing I also discovered that flabergasted me, was when I decided to experiment with tipping the jig with 5'' herring. I caught more walleye on the herring than the shiners!

When it comes to depth, try from 6Fow to 30Fow. Usually the walleye are in shallow in the low light hours and deep in the mid day hours. However, I have caught walleye in 30Fow fairly early in the morning in a murkey lake and have also caught them in 7Fow on a bright July afternoon when they weren't biting out deep at the same lake. Most of the walleye I catch also seem to be caught in 13FOW most of the day to 6Fow in the evening in murkey lakes and caught from 7FOW in the morning to 20Fow at noon in clear lakes.
Justin Wood (Jwood 456)

Jwood 456
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Winter Pike

When it comes to winter fishing for pike, there are a few techniques that I would suggest.

1. When I'm allowed to fish more than one line, I rig one setup with a large smelt and one setup with a large herring. This is to see what bait the pike prefer more and quite often, they change their bait preference. The smelts and hering are usually deadsticked. The bait preference for pike can totally change in even an hour.

2. Use 3/0 trebles. Trebles of this size assure a good hookeset and are heavy enough to sink herring to the bottom of the lake fairly quickly. Whatever you do avoid circle hooks IMO. Circle hooks will not hook through the toothy roofs of pike's mouths IMO.

3. Pike can sometimes be wire leader shy. One time I was using just braided line tied straight to the bait and I had a lot of bites. I had a fish cut me off and I switched to wire leader. As soon as I switched to wire leader, the pike action dramatically slowed down. I thought about it and another forum member suggested it me to use flouro carbon leader. Flouro leader tends to be very tough against abrasion compared to braided line and monofilament. Use 20lb test for rods that are rated for line under 20lbs and use 30lb for tip ups. Make sure to buy quality flouro carbon leader such as Berkley Big Game, Seagar, Andy, Yo Zuri and etc.

4. If pike aren't biting that great on deadsticked lures, use a 2ounce chartreuse jighead tipped with a large smelt and a 4/0 single stinger hook and slowly jig like a wounded minnow and pause it often. Also, free spool the line every once in a while so the lure hits the bottom and make vibrations that the fish can hear. Some days I have gotten many bites with this technique and caught 10lbers and seen 14lbers slam the rig. This technique also lures the big pike into the area with the deadsticked baits. Some days though this technique is inferior to deadsticking bait.

5. When it comes to rigging dead bait's, let the baits sit about a foot to 2ft off of the bottom. Pike tend to see their prey better from, above them instead of in front of them. The much darker bait would stand out like night and day against the bright sunlight from above.

6. Mobility can be an important key factor in the amount of pike caught in my opinion. In one spot, the action can be very good for a bit, and then sometimes the action will suddenly dye for an hour or even the rest of the day. When this has happened and after an hour of no bites, I just move to a new spot in the area and sure enough, the pike action is fast again.

7. If you can bring more people along pike fishing. Not only will you have more company to hang around with, there will also be more lines in the water. This means that the more bait there is in an area, the more attracted the pike are to hanging around and staying in that area. I have seen with my own eyes the bigger groups getting more pike bites per line. I also notice myself that when my fishing partner just puts one extra line in the water with pike bait on it, the rate of bites per line noticeably goes up.

Tyangelo
04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I totally agree with Justin about pike being leader shy sometimes. Especially in clear water.

Daceminnow
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
^^^FH7 this guy could be a prime candidate for an editor. smooth writer.^^^

Daceminnow
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
^^^FH7 this guy could be a prime candidate for an editor. Jwood is a smooth writer.^^^

densa44
04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Once you light the fuse don't hold on to the stick of powder but throw a good distance from boat asap.

Fisher_man#1
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/grgrge.png
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/gfgfgr.png

:scared0015:

Maybe have a section on how to handle fish properly:thinking-006:....on second thought it doesnt look like you should be the one to write that.:angry3:

Cheers,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
negative controversy should help sell books......lol

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
FH7's Dad (Dace) hs been contacted and will have a press conference later to try and explain

Till then entertain yourselfs with this....oh BOY
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88076&page=3

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
isnt anyone concerned FH7 hasnt made a appearance yet?

Who Da Fisherman
04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Tyangelo;897440]Good luck on the book bro! It'd be even cooler to credit AO members on each tip, quote style. Be very community based. Just an idea. I'm sure I could ramble on about pike all day, but there's some other really pro pike guts on here...(not claiming to be one if them.)

After some thinking, I would say that I've got 4 tips that should help out.

1. Use good, heavy line, and QUALITY leaders, at least 8-12". Pike aren't shy, so take advantage of that, and protect your $25 plugs and stickbaits.

x2 but keep to the 12" plus, with the big boys one roll over and 8" is gone and the line is in their mouth.

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/grgrge.png
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/gfgfgr.png

:scared0015:

Maybe have a section on how to handle fish properly:thinking-006:....on second thought it doesnt look like you should be the one to write that.:angry3:

Cheers,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

sorry you think that way...and theres nohin wrong about holding fish behind his head. and yes i know putting the fish on concrete was wrong butit was for a split second so he didnt have time to flop and loose his scales. and im 99% sure youv havendled fish "bad" before

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Good luck on the book bro! It'd be even cooler to credit AO members on each tip, quote style. Be very community based. Just an idea. I'm sure I could ramble on about pike all day, but there's some other really pro pike guts on here...(not claiming to be one if them.)

thats what i was trying to say.

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
please keep the tips comming even if they seem useless of very small everyone counts. we will mention your name in each quateaswell and looking for a price on selling them when i get the book established and published. i wont charge much more then cost. so over 5 bucks at least

Tyangelo
04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Ya sorry, I reied before I even read your whole post. Heh.

Another small tip, that I'm sure a bunch if us already do. When re-spooling, chuck onto an old bolt or screw with your power drill and use that to spin your old line off your reel. Really speeds up the process.

You should also include a "common sense" section, mentioning thugs that should be obvious. Like checking ice thickness, reading regs, debarbing hooks etc.

Mayhem
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Always leave your line in the water. You would be surprised how many times you get bit while busy netting your buddies fish...or eating a sandwich.

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
thanks for the tips keep em comming!

Speckle55
04-08-2011, 09:28 PM
FH7-- i have given you some tips but remember match what they eat and you will do good and size of food does Matter .. History/Potential.. meaning what is the history of lake old records /netting records /folk lore... Potential ..meaning what is the food,,why are the fish big... any changes ..sewer etc changes food chain.. even a forest fire changes productivity of lake ..type in Moab Lake study Jasper National Park.. look at lakes/rivers Scientifically as well as fishing.. David:)

Dust1n
04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
i am about 1/8 done the book at the moment.
Iv fished the pike section and the whiefish section...and a bit of trout. along with the ever so short burbot.
whats left...walleye/sauger,trout,goldeye/mooneye, sturgeon,grayling and perch.
for trout there classifid by trout species example. brown trout and bull trout