PDA

View Full Version : Blindman river pike. Cracked the code.

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 09:10 PM
for those that are having a hard time catching them. ;)
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/gerfded.png[
[IMG]http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/gtgrg.png
this is our secret honey hole.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/gtrgetrgg.png

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 09:11 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/gerfded.png
if anyone wants some tips and info on this just post id be happy to awnser but i canot give awway my one honey hole.

moosehunter3-0
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice pike.

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 09:23 PM
thanks moose we should hit it in summer being you live in bentley correct>? i live in bentley but on a farm down the road.

Speckle55
04-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Nice pike:) Grats

Deano85
04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Im interested in tips. Can you make the pics bigger?

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
What would you like to know about it and when i try and make those particualr ones bigger a strange thing pops up so i cant use my snipping tool.

Deano85
04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
What do you use lure wise and how do you fish it.

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 09:51 PM
red head rattle snakes form wallmart there like 3 bucks each. and mono is a must with these pike. i gives you slack so you can make sure you get a good set when they play with it.
a 6-7 foot ML rod is great with 12-14lb test
no leader but a big swival.
the techque is rip down and pause when the lure is half way up twitch and then the pike should smash that.
the rip ensures your lure gets close to botttom.
do you fish it regualy and where? if you do

Deano85
04-06-2011, 09:57 PM
No i dont fish it but am interested in trying. Thanks

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
get out there before Late summer though as the weed growth in the river is don right horrible. some places its wweded over so bad you cant even see the water below it. but its great spring and summer fishing

tommyguitar
04-06-2011, 10:00 PM
red head rattle snakes form wallmart there like 3 bucks each. and mono is a must with these pike. i gives you slack so you can make sure you get a good set when they play with it.
a 6-7 foot ML rod is great with 12-14lb test
no leader but a big swival.
the techque is rip down and pause when the lure is half way up twitch and then the pike should smash that.
the rip ensures your lure gets close to botttom.
do you fish it regualy and where? if you do

What does rip mean? Thanks
Tom

Dust1n
04-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Rip means take your rod tip at a 45 degre angdle reel in slack and jerk it down as fast as the lure will dive. this triggers a pike instint of fleeing prey of suckers which is a forage at the river turnng the pike on from neutral to feeding and smoking the lure. weather and moon phase is a factor

chubbdarter
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Rip means take your rod tip at a 45 degre angdle reel in slack and jerk it down as fast as the lure will dive. this triggers a pike instint of fleeing prey of suckers which is a forage at the river turnng the pike on from neutral to feeding and smoking the lure. weather and moon phase is a factor

Who is gonna pay for the book if you give away secrets of FH7 away free?

biggamehunter
04-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I will fh7 is a smart fish hunter lol.

WayneChristie
04-07-2011, 07:25 AM
get out there before Late summer though as the weed growth in the river is don right horrible. some places its wweded over so bad you cant even see the water below it. but its great spring and summer fishing

When the weeds are too heavy for normal fishing, try using spinnerbaits or buzzbaits, the buzzbaits will draw them right up through the weeds a lot of times, works for me on some of the shallow lakes around here.

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Nice fish. pics show up really small though...

Donkey Oatey
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Heck it was the blindman river that got me hooked (pardon the pun) on fishing as a kid In the late 70's early 80's. We would go down under the bridge at the Asplund Road and fish there. Would catch about 35 to 40 hammer handles an hour down there. Only ever needed to use yellow and red 5 of diamonds or a red and white Len Thompson spoons.

Like has been mentioned great fishing in the spring and early summer. Later on way too many weeds. Haven't fished there in a few years. Might have to try again some time.

Tyangelo
04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Some adopted grandparents of mine (The Spychers) lived on a farm just south of Bentley, that backed onto the Blindman. Fished it a ton as a kid. In the last few years, the river is way too shallow, and a mess by their property, thanks to some damn beavers who decided a dam was needed. Any tips with access points would be killer.

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 02:37 PM
When the weeds are too heavy for normal fishing, try using spinnerbaits or buzzbaits, the buzzbaits will draw them right up through the weeds a lot of times, works for me on some of the shallow lakes around here.

WC your the only one posting about how good buzzbaits and spinner baits are for pike...and i agree its a heart stopper.
Im not into Pike or Bass anymore, but have a box of buzz and spinner baits doing nothing.
pm me your addy and i'll fire them your way.
tackle sorting and cleaning last few days.....getting ready for open water

npauls
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Thats one thing I plan on trying this summer quite a bit when I only have a few hours to kill. I am going to go pick up some buzz baits and spinner baits and some top water frogs and mice and go chuck them at all the pike in Park Lake. I should be able to find tons of smaller pike in there and it is close enough that I don't need a whole day to head out there. Is there any certain brands or styles that fish better then others? If it doesn't matter to much I will just go pick up whatever when I get some extra cash.

Guitarplayingfish
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Need a hand with all those pike Nate? hahaha I am interested in smashing some topwater fish this summer.

npauls
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
damn rights I will. Me, you, and kaden can go chuck stuff and see how we do. I had a floating frog last year and got hammered first cast and it bit through my braid like it was nothing so I have to rearm myself with all the gear and some 20lbs fluoro leaders so I can keep it floating and not get bit off all the time. It's pretty fun chucking cranks in that place to from the boat. I think I will be keeping the fly rod and dries handy to for the odd chance I notice the whites rising and can get a fly to them.

Guitarplayingfish
04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Sounds great. It might even be worth rigging up a fly rod for pike too, that's always a blast.

dodger
04-07-2011, 05:52 PM
WC your the only one posting about how good buzzbaits and spinner baits are for pike...and i agree its a heart stopper.
Im not into Pike or Bass anymore, but have a box of buzz and spinner baits doing nothing.
pm me your addy and i'll fire them your way.
tackle sorting and cleaning last few days.....getting ready for open water

I have fished with WC and he does love his top water action with the spinner baits. I have seen him pull those Pike out of some serious growth consistently.
:)
Dodger.

WayneChristie
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I have fished with WC and he does love his top water action with the spinner baits. I have seen him pull those Pike out of some serious growth consistently.
:)
Dodger.

One of my favorite lakes gets weed choked in the bay I fish, like the Blindman river, you can almost walk on the growth, but the fish still come up through them like its wide open water. Definitely not for the faint of heart. I have some topwater frogs I have tried a couple times, with the buzzlegs, havent got anything on them yet, but the gf has, I like the noisy buzzbaits most. The spinnerbaits are great for tossing right in the middle of the heaviest reeds too, rarely have a hangup. Fishhunter if you want to fish the weeds, you will do good to spool up with one of the braids and a wire or flouro leader, I use 30 pound powerpro and it rips nicely through the heaviest stuff. I never go leaderless for pike, lost too many hooks even with heavy braid. I like to let my fish swim away without decorations if I can help it. Especially expensive lures.

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Heck it was the blindman river that got me hooked (pardon the pun) on fishing as a kid In the late 70's early 80's. We would go down under the bridge at the Asplund Road and fish there. Would catch about 35 to 40 hammer handles an hour down there. Only ever needed to use yellow and red 5 of diamonds or a red and white Len Thompson spoons.

Like has been mentioned great fishing in the spring and early summer. Later on way too many weeds. Haven't fished there in a few years. Might have to try again some time.

35-40 is a bit too good now. it aerages for me 15-25 PPH (pike per hour). when i was realy sall you could throw a cast everywhere and catch em. i made the mistake of brining home my limit. after age 12 i noticed the pike fishing wasent as great in the strech i fish and i started to C&R and thats how it started for me. noticing the effect on one little body of water one angler whodidnt know much about fishing may have ruined pike fishing in that area. after that everyyear the catch rates went up and up now the pike fishing is prime.

BTW buzzbaits dont work to well when you cant even get your in the water. i recomend spros frog. or go in a hatch and catch em on size 16 tan caddis lol