PDA

View Full Version : Rapala

whitetail Junkie
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Every spring I seem to stock up on the Rapala Lures,I just love fishing with Crankbaits.If i'm Targeting pike,Walleye and even Trout,I just cant go home until I cast a couple Rapala's in the Water.

My Favorite Rapala is Bar-none the Rattlin Rap.I've have so much success With the Lure that I could'nt imagine not having them in my tackle Box.

Anyone else enjoy,or have Success with the Rapala Lures?

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
In the spring when I target pike in creeks and shallows I love the floating rapala in either a perch or fire tiger pattern, nothing more exciting than a big slough shark hammering a surface bait.

Lefty

Braun
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
what i love doing for trout is swap out the back treble with a short red streamer. makes the Rap look like its bleeding as it shakes in the water. Trout go nuts over it. they are a great hook. ridiculously over priced, but a great hook. this year im trying to branch out to some different makes that arent as costly.

you should check out these new cranks from live target:

http://www.livetargetlures.com/index.php

I picked up the 6inch perch one and the golden shiner minnow. They make the rapalas seem cheap but the perch looks exactly like a perch. They even colored the poophole. And they rattle like no other. Im expecting a couple big jacks and eyes on them this year.

pophouseman
04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
I LOVE the Rattlin' Rap in the Perch pattern!! For some reason I always feel like I should try different lures/baits etc. But If me and my buddies are having a slow day fishing, I will put one of these babies on and is is a Guaranteed Catch. I have caught many different species on this lure and I buy them in bulk in the springtime, (they get so many teeth marks I have to throw them away) :sHa_shakeshout:

Tyangelo
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Agreed with Lefty. Targeting pike 90% of the time myself, Husky Jerks in perch, firetiger, and other bright patterns are a staple. In the summer once the big jack move deep, I'll switch to big Down Deep Husky Jerks.

ArtVandelay
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
The gold #8 Rattlins were hands down my most production cranks out at CVR last season for Pike and Walleye. I also had good luck with the Lucky Craft Staysees and Pointers, though they are 4 times the price of the Rattlins!

ArtVandelay
04-07-2011, 11:36 AM
There's a perch pattern?

I LOVE the Rattlin' Rap in the Perch pattern!!

Daceminnow
04-07-2011, 12:09 PM
what i love doing for trout is swap out the back treble with a short red streamer. makes the Rap look like its bleeding as it shakes in the water. Trout go nuts over it. they are a great hook. ridiculously over priced, but a great hook. this year im trying to branch out to some different makes that arent as costly.

you should check out these new cranks from live target:

http://www.livetargetlures.com/index.php

I picked up the 6inch perch one and the golden shiner minnow. They make the rapalas seem cheap but the perch looks exactly like a perch. They even colored the poophole. And they rattle like no other. Im expecting a couple big jacks and eyes on them this year.

braun i have yet to see these @ the listed retailers WSS and CT. where did you find them? thanks

Dace

whitetail Junkie
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM
braun i have yet to see these @ the listed retailers WSS and CT. where did you find them? thanks

Dace

I saw them yesterday at canadian Tire in Medicine hat.They are really nice,I should have bought one.

They were even behind the Locked glass show case.they wanted $14.00 for the Perch lure.

Next time i'm there i'll be buying the rattlin shiner!

Braun
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM

Dace

TFH has them. I picked mine up the day they put them on the wall. I had to wait for the shiner in the more realistic color. They will go quick come open water. they are pretty sweet. They are even textured so the gill plates stick out a little bit. Crazy detail.

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I have too many rapalas... And other crankbaits ..... Alot loose too since I have a bunch of tackle bags full.... That I may have to start selling some off or throw them in a milk crate.

albertadeer
04-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Every spring I seem to stock up on the Rapala Lures,I just love fishing with Crankbaits.If i'm Targeting pike,Walleye and even Trout,I just cant go home until I cast a couple Rapala's in the Water.

My Favorite Rapala is Bar-none the Rattlin Rap.I've have so much success With the Lure that I could'nt imagine not having them in my tackle Box.

Anyone else enjoy,or have Success with the Rapala Lures?

I have caught more fish on the Rattlin rap then any other lure or bait, one of my most successful ice fishing hooks!! .

Cant wait to try out the new Clackin Rap.

Braun
04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I have too many rapalas... And other crankbaits ..... Alot loose too since I have a bunch of tackle bags full.... That I may have to start selling some off or throw them in a milk crate.

Walleye unlimited is doin a swap meet sometime in the near future. Great place to get red of them. might even find something to spend your money on

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
got alot of favorites.....but after 5 hours of sorting, replacing hooks and cleaning....my guess is Rapala makes up over 50 percent of the hooks i'll fish with this season

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/002-29.jpg

once i sort thru the rest of the boxes there will be a giveaway on buzz baits, spinner baits, Zara spooks and other Bass and Pike hooks i just have no use for.

Lefty-Canuck
04-07-2011, 02:33 PM

..pssst hey...yah you...over here.....I'll tell you what you need to do.....just put that milk crate out in the back alley.....and give me a call......I'll make sure your little problem disappears....no questions asked.....capiche? :)

Lefty

Braun
04-07-2011, 02:41 PM
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/002-29.jpg

:scared0015::scared0015:wow

on an average of 4 hooks per divided section at 6 bucks per hook there is well over $200 worth(probably lowballing it) of cranks there and I would guess thats MAYBE a quarter of your collection of cranks. the gues at WSS really do love when you walk in there dont they

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
:scared0015::scared0015:wow

on an average of 4 hooks per divided section at 6 bucks per hook there is well over $200 worth(probably lowballing it) of cranks there and I would guess thats MAYBE a quarter of your collection of cranks. the gues at WSS really do love when you walk in there dont they

i try to itemize for insurance purposes.....replacement cost is 1080.00 for those trays
3 more boxes of cranks to sort...billies, red fins, reef runners etc.
Alberta Bigbore has way more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The fishin hole is my go to place

Braun
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
i try to itemize for insurance purposes.....replacement cost is 1080.00 for those trays

hmmm. at least its good to know where my fishing addiction is headed.... I need to find a job that pays more....

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Rapala owns so many brand names now......i wouldnt doubt the parent company owns most of the market

its amazing who owns what
http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/42420/Pure-Fishing-Also-Sues-Normark-s-Sufix-and-Trigger-X-Brands

walleyechaser
04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Original pattern/shiner/perch and the trout patterns are deadly for most species in alberta

Jwood 456
04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Lol it's just not me that thinks the Rattle Raps work awesome.

I used a rattling Rapala in a Baby Bass pattern, and everytime I'd put my line in the water for more than 30secs, I had a walleye hit it.:sHa_shakeshout:

rielbowhunter
04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I to have the addiction.

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
i dont see my favorite hook in there anywhere....a husky jerk in blue and silver.

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 08:28 PM
i dont see my favorite hook in there anywhere....a husky jerk in blue and silver.

i'll rush out and get some tomorrow , i'll be leaning on the Hole doors waiting for Bill to open

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
i love that color its just perfect for pike, trout and big walleye.
The best kept secret for catch the trophy pike in your area garenteed in 1 week will be in my book from summer break succes.

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
i love that color its just perfect for pike, trout and big walleye.
The best kept secret for catch the trophy pike in your area garenteed in 1 week will be in my book from summer break succes.

I'll buy a case of them

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
if theres a trophy pike in the area its a garrenteed succes in 1 week.

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 09:10 PM

2 cases then

Jwood 456
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Lol probably everytime you go to the Fishin Hole, the manager probably puts on a big party celebration afterwards.:party0052:

Geezle
04-07-2011, 09:15 PM

That sounds like a challenge (if the NSR ever opens up where I need it to! :angry3:)

What's your definition of trophy though? ;)

ArtVandelay
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Do you recommend the biggest size? That'd be 4.75" in the Down Deep version and 5.5" in the regular version.

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
anything over 20lbs

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
15-25 depends what lake.

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Do you recommend the biggest size? That'd be 4.75" in the Down Deep version and 5.5" in the regular version.

i like the regular verson i think it caches more fish IMO and i like em in all sizes the ones with 2 trebles is an all around lure in fall i use the biggest size size 11 i think.

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 09:51 PM
i like the regular verson i think it caches more fish IMO and i like em in all sizes the ones with 2 trebles is an all around lure in fall i use the biggest size size 11 i think.

tryed to reply ....your box is full

Dust1n
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
not no more lol

Speckle55
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Mine is the Shad Rap 6 works for Trout .. got the Alberta winning Cutthroat 2010 on that .. Kaden Guimond age 7..19 inches .. i use that on lots of trout lakes don,t catch to many little one's then.. into Tail Dancers now abit.. the Clown color :)works too

SushiUnagi
04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
The rapalas are awesome! I caught my very first fish and a nice walleye from McGregor on a clackin' rap + my fish finder. Located a structure and a couple of fish, stopped the boat, first cast, got it.

I haven't used my rattling rap as much so that explains why I have yet to caught something on that. But the clackin' rap is awesome, I took it to Japan with me and caught a couple of those huge seabass last year.

Not sure about you guys but catching a fish on a rapala feels nicer than using bait. One thing for certain, your hands don't stink of dead bait + you don't have to remember to re-freeze your bait when you get home.

I also have good success with those jointed rapalas as well as x-raps in shallow water. Just make sure you tie a steel leader if you're chasing after pikes.

Yeah those livetargetlures looks really neat and very detailed. Saw them at TFH in Calgary and a couple of CT stores in Cowtown. Maybe even at WSS in Calgary too..don't remember.
But they also costs 1.5x more than Rapalas...I don't think I'll try them until I hear excellent reviews on them. I think I have enough lures to keep me going for the next few years.

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
..pssst hey...yah you...over here.....I'll tell you what you need to do.....just put that milk crate out in the back alley.....and give me a call......I'll make sure your little problem disappears....no questions asked.....capiche? :)

Lefty

lol... maybe use them as ornaments for the xmas tree next year, heh

ArtVandelay
04-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Yep the Clackins are awesome too. CVR Pike love those. Can't wait to try the new Clackin' Minnows this season.

The rapalas are awesome! I caught my very first fish and a nice walleye from McGregor on a clackin' rap + my fish finder. Located a structure and a couple of fish, stopped the boat, first cast, got it.

I haven't used my rattling rap as much so that explains why I have yet to caught something on that. But the clackin' rap is awesome, I took it to Japan with me and caught a couple of those huge seabass last year.

Jwood 456
04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Lol, this is my sad stash of Rapalas. I find that the rattle Rapalas work the best. Especially the green one on the left.

Oh yeah BTW, the size of my jig and spoon stash is a different story.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

tacklerunner
04-07-2011, 10:57 PM

You should put a big pike on the cover of your book with the blue and silver in its mouth. Just like the cover of this years regs but better!

Then they'll sell out quick! Chub you better load up the back of your pick up. Will be a good investment!!!

tacklerunner
04-07-2011, 11:15 PM
once i sort thru the rest of the boxes there will be a giveaway on buzz baits, spinner baits, Zara spooks and other Bass and Pike hooks i just have no use for.

Donate them to kids getting into fishing. Lots of good causes. There was a big Scouts trip last year that a bunch of AO members donated or loaned gear for and there`s that Autism foundation Braun`s supporting.

If you seriously want to get rid of some stuff I`ll even pick it up from you and make sure it goes to kid`s who can`t afford to fish etc. Kinda like Kidsport but fishing. Maybe we should start a charity.

brendan85
04-08-2011, 12:05 AM
ive got a 4 yr old son who loves fishing but cant afford to buy his own lures...

lol.. jk.. hes got pretty much full access to the bit i have... that is an awesome idea though. that would some kids very very happy.

Beazer
04-08-2011, 12:31 AM
All I have is Rapala and reef runners.
Max Raps are insanely awesome, especally on the Bow.
Haven't had a whole lot of luck with rattler's but never really used them that much. Might have to try now.

Running topwater jointed in any colours works awesome for pike. You can take off the tail and add a plastic worm and its practically weedless and the pike go even more nuts for it.

Gonna focus alot more on 3 way riggin this year for the 'eyes. Time to get my flatraps wet.

I have had almost zero luck with the xrap shads. All colours have proved useless. Reg Xraps work great though.

I think I have 10 sleeves full of rapala's. Don't want to count the money invested there.

SushiUnagi
04-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Lol, this is my sad stash of Rapalas. I find that the rattle Rapalas work the best. Especially the green one on the left.

Hey Justin! I've got the same green rattlin too. Which lake have you had success with that? If I recall correctly its a 'bass' pattern. Kinda resembles a perch I guess...probably lakes w/ perch?

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 06:27 AM
you should have the treble in the middle it makes it alot more weedless

chubbdarter
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Donate them to kids getting into fishing. Lots of good causes. There was a big Scouts trip last year that a bunch of AO members donated or loaned gear for and there`s that Autism foundation Braun`s supporting.

If you seriously want to get rid of some stuff I`ll even pick it up from you and make sure it goes to kid`s who can`t afford to fish etc. Kinda like Kidsport but fishing. Maybe we should start a charity.

Should of thought of that.....sorry.....incoming pm's have really depleted the excess inventory.....but who knows whats in the next box in the garage rafters

Tyangelo
04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
If you take off all the hooks, it's really weedless.

nicemustang
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Anyone use the glidin' rap? Seen it last night on in-fisherman and they we're slamming big pike on last mountain...

I don't have one, yet.

Jwood 456
04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
you should have the treble in the middle it makes it alot more weedless

IMO I think there are both advantages and dissadantages for hook location. When the hooks are placed at the back of the plug, it allows me to easilly hook walleye that are striking short and I find that when realeasing the fish, not as much of a mess is made of them compared to if the hook was placed in the middle of the plug.

BTW thanks for the for the weedles tip. IMHO I spend way too much time every day de weeding (aka picking off fish marijuana jk :sHa_sarcasticlol:) my lures when I fish in the weedy lakes.

timsesink
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
For any one in Rocky I just picked up a whack of Rapala's for 4-5 each at CT. Might be a few left!

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Anyone use the glidin' rap? Seen it last night on in-fisherman and they we're slamming big pike on last mountain...

I don't have one, yet.

are you kidding me???? i have purchesed over 20 last year! Best color is the FH7 special. and my budd got one on a bright yellow gliding rap. they work great for walleye to. and when they arnt biting good use a twichin rap. is a little legend with the side to side motion my favorite rapala lures.

chubbdarter
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
are you kidding me???? i have purchesed over 20 last year! Best color is the FH7 special. and my budd got one on a bright yellow gliding rap. they work great for walleye to. and when they arnt biting good use a twichin rap. is a little legend with the side to side motion my favorite rapala lures.

i just spent 400 buck at the Hole for Blue Jerks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now im headed back for your very own SIGNATURE SERIES of lures!!!!!!!!!!
Gas is expensive....anything else while im there?

bloopbloob
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm sure I have well over 100 rapalas, probably closer to 200. By far my favorite lure, probably have one on my line 80%+ of the time i'm fishing. try to keep 3 of several of my favorites because it seems like when you need to get another one, you can't find it anymore. Also have dozens of different styles, most with a couple different colors and sizes in most rapala makes too. Best all around rapalas for me are the x-raps, flashraps, and a couple of their rattling ones (not clackin, rattlin shad rap? I think), they seem to produce no matter what.

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I think chubb has een dying to see what i got for my pike tacklebox lol. i got 3 3tray tackle boxes jammedpacked and i take what i need as i target a species

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/002.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/001-2.jpg

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
forgot the shallow shad raps. one of the best pike lrues once again.

chubbdarter
04-08-2011, 07:24 PM
You must have the highest paying paper route of any kid i know......good on you Dustin for knowing what you want and getting it....many people could learn from your ambition.

Braun
04-08-2011, 07:32 PM
nice FH7.. hey chubbs, sad part is , i am not sure if you are joking about going to TFH and dropping 400 in one shot on cranks......

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 07:37 PM
yeah those are just an assortantment of lures to go back on. forgot to put in the shallow shad and a 1 other pike lure but whatever ill upload my my tackle boxes in a bit.
too bad my rods and reels arnt to great.
got 4 rods and none over 50 bucks lol
my expensive ones break...

npauls
04-08-2011, 08:10 PM
How often do you chuck those banjo minnows FH7? :bad_boys_20:

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 08:13 PM
i have it rigged on my other rod so when i see a follower i do the 1-2 punch "dave mercers" and casti it out let to touch bottom and rip it 2-4 inches untill it hits surface then run it along the surface. but i noticed how good they were when you can jig with them im super clear water and kill pike that refused anythign else. its a great buy except they came in better and colors and more. i like the pearl white, and blue and silver see through.

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
whats your opion on em npauls?

Speckle55
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I use the 7 inch Rapala or bigger Magnum floating # 18/ some sink for the 15# or better Pike ......... big spoons too Len Thompson # 4 etc.. T60 flatfish /k14

food for thought

in Europe they used 3 to 5 lb suckers and dead line fish them... David34360

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
in europe ifit can sty on th line theyll use it. i seen them use in person 5lb roach as bait on a massive stick bober

whitetail Junkie
04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I use the 7 inch Rapala or bigger Magnum floating # 18/ some sink for the 15# or better Pike ......... big spoons too Len Thompson # 4 etc.. T60 flatfish /k14

food for thought

in Europe they used 3 to 5 lb suckers and dead line fish them... David34360

How bigs that Pike?? Looks like over 40 pounds?? WOW

Speckle55
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
The Old records for Northern Pike go to 99# but the New World Record is 55 lbs
here is another34361 i have a book i put in Hinton library on Pike.. enjoy order to your library

whitetail Junkie
04-08-2011, 10:38 PM
here is another34361 i have a book i put in Hinton library on Pike.. enjoy order to your library

unreal!!! It's just so FAT !!!!! Awesome pictures thanks for shareing!

whitetail Junkie
04-08-2011, 10:43 PM
These are the biggest walleye and pike my cousin and I ever caught.He helped me net the pike and Was running the Boat.All three fish were on Rapala's.

The walleye were on Rattlin Rap's at Newell

The pike on a Sliver\black Husky Jerk,Traver's dam.

Braun
04-08-2011, 10:51 PM
those walleye are crazy weights on those pigs?

whitetail Junkie
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
those walleye are crazy weights on those pigs?

13.5,12.5 ,Average for the Guys who fish the Vanity cup,them guys catch 15 pounder's every october,I could'nt imagine how nice it would Feel!!

Jwood 456
04-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Just picked up some more perch pattern clackin rattle and Bass pattern rattlin rapalas at the West Edmonton Mall Fishin Hole to stock up for the summer.:sHa_shakeshout:

Jwood 456
04-09-2011, 12:17 AM

Not only are the pike in Europe massive. The perch in Europe can grow to 15lbs

Here's an example of a hog of an European Perch.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Just picked up some more perch pattern clackin rattle and Bass pattern rattlin rapalas at the West Edmonton Mall Fishin Hole to stock up for the summer.:sHa_shakeshout:

clackin raps??? have you got anything off em? IMo the orninal rattle raps are the best.

Alberta Bigbore
04-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Holaaaaaaaaaay crapperz!!!!!!!:scared0015:

now thats ... a ... pike!!

Freedom55
04-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Rapala has 2765 models and/or colors. At an average retail price of $7.50 you'd need more than $20,737.50 to have them all.
I need a sponsor.

Speckle55
04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
13.5,12.5 ,Average for the Guys who fish the Vanity cup,them guys catch 15 pounder's every october,I could'nt imagine how nice it would Feel!!

Very nice Eyes ..Grats:)

Speckle55
04-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Rapala has 2765 models and/or colors. At an average retail price of $7.50 you'd need more than $20,737.50 to have them all.
I need a sponsor.

me too Roflmao

Speckle55
04-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Not only are the pike in Europe massive. The perch in Europe can grow to 15lbs

Here's an example of a hog of an European Perch.

i want one .. now thats a Yellow Perch:sign0087:

Jwood 456
04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
clackin raps??? have you got anything off em? IMo the orninal rattle raps are the best.

Oops sorry for the wording. Yeah when I said clackin rattles I meant clackin raps. :sign0161:

Yeah I have quite a few of the perch pattern clackin raps and havent tried them yet. I betcha they'll work awesome though. I intend on trying them out at Wabamun right when the lakes open in May. The trophy pike should still be in shallow.:sHa_shakeshout:

Willowtrail
04-09-2011, 11:43 AM
My go to Rapala is the Jointed Floating Minnow. I love the wounded action of them and it drives the pike, walleye and even perch crazy.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Oops sorry for the wording. Yeah when I said clackin rattles I meant clackin raps. :sign0161:

Yeah I have quite a few of the perch pattern clackin raps and havent tried them yet. I betcha they'll work awesome though. I intend on trying them out at Wabamun right when the lakes open in May. The trophy pike should still be in shallow.:sHa_shakeshout:

the pikes metablism wont be ready for fast moving baits in may. yull get the odd one.
id go to the shallow black bottom and throw a minnow on a jig.
i havent caught anything ff clakin raps and i use em often only a couple pesty walleye. but the rattlin raps in gold are legends also in minnow color/chrome blue.

Tom Pullings
04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Used to demolish bass and walleye on perch pattern countdowns. These days I throw the odd husky jerk or floating. I wish Rapala would stop buying smaller competitors and cheapening/eliminating them.

Jwood 456
04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
the pikes metablism wont be ready for fast moving baits in may. yull get the odd one.
id go to the shallow black bottom and throw a minnow on a jig.
i havent caught anything ff clakin raps and i use em often only a couple pesty walleye. but the rattlin raps in gold are legends also in minnow color/chrome blue.

Thanks for the info FH7.:)

What type of jig do you use? Something like a bucktail or wildeye jig?:thinking-006:

BTW I use those Rattlin Rapals in bass pattern and they work epically at catching loads of walleye that won't take my jigs. I also have the gold pattern and the blue chrome pattern that I haven't tried yet, but certainly will try now.:sHa_shakeshout:

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
astabd up jig. tip it with minow and let it sit. dont move it because they wont chase it untill the waters alot warmer