PDA

View Full Version : NSR near Devon

ShhImFishing
04-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was looking to hit the NSR and I've read some decent things about the Devon area. Looking at google maps there are a few places that seem to be relatively easy access to the river, was wondering if anyone fishes the area and can recommend a decent place to start off from, never been in that area before so i dont know what the terrain and water is like.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated,

Also i'd like to try out fly fishing there as well, bringing all the flies i have (small collection for now but growing :P) im assuming Wolly Buggers, elk hair caddis and adams will be sufficient to start out? so any tips on that would also be greatly appreciated

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 06:17 AM
dont bring the flies leave at home firt of all because theres no caddis hatch and the water is too hard to see through so bright lures will be producing unless you tie up some bright wooly buggers then go for it but dont fish dry the fish wont be surfacing even for the small midges

ShhImFishing
04-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Kinda had a feeling heheh o well I'll bring the flies along just to practice a casting a little bit and maybe I'll tie some bright buggers to see if they produce anything. Thanks for the info on that.

Anyone have info on what the water and terrain is like aroun the part of te river? Low banks high banks? Easy access or no? I won't get a chance to go for a bit just hoping to be prepared a bit thanks

italk2u
04-08-2011, 07:53 AM
dont bring the flies leave at home firt of all because theres no caddis hatch and the water is too hard to see through so bright lures will be producing unless you tie up some bright wooly buggers then go for it but dont fish dry the fish wont be surfacing even for the small midges

Not to be argumentative or anything, but the NSR has some of the finest dry fly fishing anywhere especially in the summer when the goldeye are on the rise.The caddis hatch is prolific which is why it is considered one of the healthiest rivers in Alberta based on bug quantity and quality.
i have hooked many a kamikaze goldeye on elk hair caddis,and large may fly patterns in July through September and some even before spring runoff. Another pattern to try would be a size 12-14 stimulator.
Goldeye are very feisty and will give you a better battle than most trout.

ShhImFishing
04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
not trying to speak for fish hunter, but i believe he gave this advice based on the fact that ill be going relatively soon, and the flies aren't going to be effective at this point in time,

when do the flies start to hatch anyway? are there charts for it?

italk2u
04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
as i said i have caught them before spring runoff on a dry fly..so once the ice clears, you can watch for the caddis hatch and if they're not rising to them, i would suggest a size fourteen bead head prince nymph

Tyangelo
04-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Do a search for my replies to posts on the subject. Having spent 90% of my life living in Devon, I know it pretty well, and fished it a ton when I was younger. The river will be really muddy right now, both on the banks and the water, plus it's still mostly ice covered. If you have any more questions or can't find the post, PM me.

ShhImFishing
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
will do thanks :D

Geezle
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
not trying to speak for fish hunter, but i believe he gave this advice based on the fact that ill be going relatively soon, and the flies aren't going to be effective at this point in time,

when do the flies start to hatch anyway? are there charts for it?

I'm not a fly guy, so I don't pay a lot of attention to the bugs in the water, but when I was out at the river last week I'd occasionally see a bug crawl out from between the cracks of the ice, pop out their wings to dry, and then fly away. I couldn't tell you what they were, but there ARE bugs hatching in the river already :)

ShhImFishing
04-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Cool i guess ill have to try them out either way :)

Geezle do you fish the river in Edmonton or just outside the city?

Geezle
04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Cool i guess ill have to try them out either way :)

Geezle do you fish the river in Edmonton or just outside the city?

Both :)

ShhImFishing
04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
are there fly charts available for the NSR? i've found hatch charts for a couple other rivers but none for the NSR...

Dust1n
04-08-2011, 05:07 PM
well if there rising and you know where and can pick out the fish tie on a dry. just saying ti will be very hard to catch them on dries blincasting in the dirty water right now. let alone finding a fish thats willing to eat. and i dont think there would be caddis hatchin before spring run off i think you may be leaning towards midges/black stones/skulwla or something. and yes the NSR in summer and falll is great fishn with the big foam flies for the goldeye!

Paul C
04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not a fly guy, so I don't pay a lot of attention to the bugs in the water, but when I was out at the river last week I'd occasionally see a bug crawl out from between the cracks of the ice, pop out their wings to dry, and then fly away. I couldn't tell you what they were, but there ARE bugs hatching in the river already :)
When are you going to learn the fine art of fly fishin ( wishin ) Mr. G ?

Nait Hadya
04-08-2011, 09:35 PM
caught a few on there fly there, best dry fly was the "impostor". good luck...

Red Bullets
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I was fishng the North Saskatchewan in Edmonton yesterday, April 7 2011 and only caught 2 rocky mountain whitefish.
I was at Goldbar park by the water treatment discharge. The only place I could find with open water you can walk up to. Used maggots on bottom rig with lighter weight so the current would bounce it along the bottom.
This spot has open water all winter long so a guy can keep casting all winter long. I have caught fish casting in February too.
The fish move slow in winter so fish slow.

Geezle
04-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Pfft as soon as I live somewhere with decent fly fishing opportunities besides little stockers and goldeye when I can find 'em :lol:

Alberta Bigbore
04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
i used to like going to Devon area for the small pike that linger around the bridge..... and the burbot in the area as well, Its a nice place to bring a portable BBQ ... fish a little... and cool off in the river by the boat lauch.

Paul C
04-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Pfft as soon as I live somewhere with decent fly fishing opportunities besides little stockers and goldeye when I can find 'em :lol:
Nsr river has deadly fly fishin for rmw's Goldeye, snot rockets, and walleye.

greylynx
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM

x2

When you get into a scrap with a goldeye on your new flyrod you might change your mind.:)

Cheers