PDA

View Full Version : Official Salmon Fishing Thread 2011

Serengeti Charters
04-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Thought I'd start this up for anyone who has any questions regarding salmon and halibut fishing, whether chartering or doing it yourself, I know if there is one thing I like to talk, it's salmon fishing, so I'm more than willing to help out either way, as I know tofinofish is as well.

2011 looks to be a very solid year once again, forecasts from what I can see are looking to a season slightly better than 2010, which as many can attest was phenomenal. I'm getting antsy as from my readings (correct me if I'm wrong Jay) conditions are very similar to 2009, which was our best year ever! So I'm just counting down the days till I'm done these stupid exams and back in BC and able to get the boats all ready for the season then go out and do a little scouting for bottomfish holes and figure out where the majority of the bait is located for when the salmon do show up....can't freakin' wait :D :D :D :D

50/50
04-08-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm going to Rupert to check out the "cabin" the week before Easter and we usually do some harbour fishing for local spring spring. Past years I've always manage to catch some, but usually very slow fishing. Any tips for that time of year ? We usually found them in unusual places like the lee side of reversing rapids and shallow bays/ channels. I have tried going out to the summer hot spots but was a waste of fuel going out to those places. Any ideas would be helpful....

Jamie
04-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm going to Rupert to check out the "cabin" the week before Easter and we usually do some harbour fishing for local spring spring. Past years I've always manage to catch some, but usually very slow fishing. Any tips for that time of year ? We usually found them in unusual places like the lee side of reversing rapids and shallow bays/ channels. I have tried going out to the summer hot spots but was a waste of fuel going out to those places. Any ideas would be helpful....

What days are you going to be out? I have to make one more trip and might be there. If so, I have some boats and guides that need to be tested.

Jamie

50/50
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Should be sitting at "The Cove" April 17- 24... Just taking the 17 ' river boat so won't be going out to far ... I don't feel like pulling a 8000 lbs boat thru the pine pass yet ..
4 days of driving to get in 7 days at the coast....

I will definitely go have have a look at your lodge though (like I have a choice ?)...

2 years ago we hit a school of spring in venn passage and we pulled in 15-20 in an afternoon, just casting small anchovies ... most were 7 -10 lbs

Jamie
04-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Should be sitting at "The Cove" April 17- 24... Just taking the 17 ' river boat so won't be going out to far ... I don't feel like pulling a 8000 lbs boat thru the pine pass yet ..
4 days of driving to get in 7 days at the coast....

I will definitely go have have a look at your lodge though (like I have a choice ?)...

2 years ago we hit a school of spring in venn passage and we pulled in 15-20 in an afternoon, just casting small anchovies ... most were 7 -10 lbs

We should be out on the water before then doing some traing and all. I will have Matt keep a eye out for you and see if we can find any "HOT SPOTS".

I MIGHT be there for your final 2 days. If so we should head out fishing and see fi we can do dinner.

As for the Lodge.. It is looking great. We are getting rid of lots of over grown landscaping and cleaning the yard. I think you will like it.

Jamie

50/50
04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
You know that if you burn / take down your boat shed I would have a better view of The dock from the lower level of our house...

Sundancefisher
04-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Thought I'd start this up for anyone who has any questions regarding salmon and halibut fishing, whether chartering or doing it yourself, I know if there is one thing I like to talk, it's salmon fishing, so I'm more than willing to help out either way, as I know tofinofish is as well.

2011 looks to be a very solid year once again, forecasts from what I can see are looking to a season slightly better than 2010, which as many can attest was phenomenal. I'm getting antsy as from my readings (correct me if I'm wrong Jay) conditions are very similar to 2009, which was our best year ever! So I'm just counting down the days till I'm done these stupid exams and back in BC and able to get the boats all ready for the season then go out and do a little scouting for bottomfish holes and figure out where the majority of the bait is located for when the salmon do show up....can't freakin' wait :D :D :D :D

I have heard 38% more Chinook this year... I hope that is true. Although sadly it will be less challenging to catch and release a pile of silver torpedos! :sHa_shakeshout:

Jamie
04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
You know that if you burn / take down your boat shed I would have a better view of The dock from the lower level of our house...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
So would I. I hate that Boat shed. How ever I am seeing some use for it.
The Shed to the left has to stay as it is now our guides shack. We outfitted it with a living type room/Bathroom/Washroom/Laundry room and sleeping 1/4's.

I think the Boat shed will be used for maintenance. If you ever needed to use it, you are more than welcome.

Thanks
Jamie

critter
04-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Whats the forecast for pinks this year?? I hope there is none.

50/50
04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
pinks?? 2011--- odd number year ---should be lots, well more then even year anyways

Serengeti Charters
04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Whats the forecast for pinks this year?? I hope there is none.

2009 broke all kinds of records for pinks, and considering they are on a 2 year life span plus great ocean conditions past couple years, they expect another record breaking year for them...luckily where we fish we rarely get into them, although tons of spots around Hardy where they are piled up

browning375
04-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Me and my brother are heading to telegraph cove again this summer! We went last year for a few days and had a blast fishing Malcom island for lunker springs!
I want to try to get a Halibut this summer, if its not closed by the middle of july!
Any tips for that area for Halibut, and maybe another spot to try for chinook?

Last year i caught a 35lb chinook on the east side of Malcom, he was a beauty! Best fishing i have had since i was a kid!

PM me if you can hook me up!

Rob.

Serengeti Charters
04-10-2011, 11:48 PM
PM sent browning.

browning375
04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Just brought my boat home from storage and shoe horned it into my garage. Now i find myself sitting in it day dreaming and counting the days till i leave for the coast.

Thanks for all the tips, and maybe see you on the water this summer!

Jamie
04-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey guys.
For those that have not seen it, we have a Salmon fishing trip for sale at a SUBSTANTIAL discount. (75%)
Check out the Sponsors forum under Great Pacific Salmon Lodge.

Thanks
Jamie

bardfromedson
04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
my trip i had planned to kitimat hit a snag. now i have all summer open to pick a place to go salmon fishing. want to do it myself out of my 17 ft. im rigged up with downriggers and a good gps/sonar. have quite a few hours on the big water and know i can't venture to far out with what im running. where should i go? im open to any and all suggestions other than places that have next to no fish. was wondering what places out on vancouver island or queen charrlottes are good for this. want to catch springs and mabe some coho. if its on the island i will need to be able to rent a house if its on the mainland close to good camping.

Jwood 456
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Places like Port Hardy would be great for smaller boats IMO. Port hardy seems to be one of the better fisherys on the island for salmon and you don't have to go very far out to catch them. The Port Hardy area also seems to produce some of the largest halibut caught on the island. For a word of advice, the water can still get scary rough in the queen Charlotte Strait near Port Hardy though especially for 17ft boats. On the rougher days, you could easilly drive over to quatsino sound that I hear produces some massive salmon. I also hear that near the mouth of the quatsino sound and you would have to make sure there is no wind blowing from the west to access these spots. These spots on the mouth of quatsino sound I hear produce some spectacular fishing for ground fish such as rockfish, lingcod and "massive halibut"(100lb+ halibut).

For a great deal of more info, heres a link to the book I have about salmon fishing the island. This book contains very detailed info on spots to fish, what to use, what the area's climate is like, when to fish and the size of boats recommeded for the area.

http://www.amazon.ca/Island-Salmon-Fisherman-Vancouver-Hotspots/dp/1550174258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303493369&sr=8-1

BlackHeart
04-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for that link JWood. Just finished placing an order for it and there was anther book by the author on Halibut as well that I ordered.

Jamie
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Damn.. I want to go fishing.
Matt (our head guide) is up on the Alaskan border right now. He is fishing for Hali's and for Alaskan King Crab. Spending the nights in a little float house. Sure sounds like a great weekend to me.

I cant wait for the season to start.

Jamie

Walleyes
04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
My first trip will start in about 2.5 days.. Hope the weather holds for us. I am venturing out into some new grounds out on the outside of the island so I Hope the good Lord gives us a few good days and keeps it safe for us.. Really looking forward to next week its been a while since I have fished new water so its really going to be an experience.. Hopefully we can put a couple Hali in the boat and some fresh Salmon for the freezer even a couple would be great,, maybe even get a chance to try out the new trap puller on some prawn,, who knows. All I know is it will be good to get some salt air in the lungs and just be out there the fish will just be a bonus.

Scott h
04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Hey Bardfromedson if you were going to drive to Kitimat, you might as well go another hour and catch the ferry in Rupert for the Charlottes. Six hours later you will be in salmon heaven. You can easily fish out of Masset with a 17 foot if you listen to the weather forecast closely, I see people every year doing it safely. It's a short run from town to the most popular salmon area's and you will be fishing with the boats from the big lodges. Heading out for halibut can be done easily also. If decide on the Charlottes and you need a very resonable house to rent let me know.

BMF
04-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi I'm relatively new to salmon fishing having only been on a couple of trips, I have a 14 foot allumacraft with 35 honda , and downriggers, any suggestion on where to go with this outfit that is relatively sheltered. Looking for suggestions on the island and mainland, might try and avoid some high ferry costs for towing the boat.

browning375
04-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi I'm relatively new to salmon fishing having only been on a couple of trips, I have a 14 foot allumacraft with 35 honda , and downriggers, any suggestion on where to go with this outfit that is relatively sheltered. Looking for suggestions on the island and mainland, might try and avoid some high ferry costs for towing the boat.

Port Alberni is a good place if you have a small boat. Good sockeye fishing in june july, and spring salmon in the august, september. Pretty sheltered, see lots of people in 12ft aluminum boats fishing.

Sundancefisher
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Does anyone know where on the web is the official DFO salmon forecast for 2011?

Jamie
05-13-2011, 11:50 PM
YAHOO!!!!
I get to head out in the AM on my first trip of the year. Looks like we are headed North to Alaska for a bit of fishing. Time to check out the boats and the new gear. It's trophy season around here.

All of us have been working our tails off in order to get the lodge ready for the season. Tons of goods/gear transported to the lodge, new boats have been launched, renos are starting to wrap up and of course the usual running around in town.

Steep learning curve around these parts. Did you know Ravens are extremely smart? We left some of the boxed dry goods in the boat shed for 1 hour... Damn birds ate 30 chocolate bars, one bag of raisins and tore apart some TP.
Never seen anything like it. Now all the dry goods are put away.
When I saw the damage, my jaw just dropped. I thought for sure someone was pulling my leg.

I think Tree needs to make a trip out here to take care of my Bird problem. LOLOLOLOLOL

Well we are working our butts off and look forward to our first guests of the season next week.

Take care
Jamie
Great Pacific Salmon Lodge

Serengeti Charters
05-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Went out fishing today out of Sooke with some buddies and landed first halibut of the year :) Our boats will be in the water next weekend, and then some bottomfish scouting and gonna get a monster halibut or two, and then guests arrive week after. Only 2 spots left in July, thats prime time, give me a shout ladies and gents ;)

Jamie
05-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Proud Dad moment here.

My Son Willy nailed his very first Salmon. A nice 17 pounder. Put up a bit of a fight but Willy tamed the beast.

Well done Son. I hope it is the first of many.

Lots of good fishing going on right now. Most everyone limited out this past weekend with us. Weather has been really nice and those boats are oh so comfortable.
Pics once I get organised

Jamie

Serengeti Charters
05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Out yesterday and limited out on our bottomfish and could of limited on Chinook should we of wanted to, kept two good bbq'ers, both around 17-18lbs, let some 13lb and less Chinook go. In 2 hours fishing were into 9 Chinook. Day before caught three Chinook in 2 1/2 hours, 25lbs, 25lbs, and 30lbs. Pic from yesterday:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/bb030.jpg

funny man
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Nice fish

RayL42
05-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Last year my brother managed to get me an invitation to his bosses place in Port Mc Neill for a three day fishing trip. It was assume we had non stop action for three days in a row. At the moment I am crossing my fingers hoping I get invited back this year. My brother said there is a good chance as I was the only one who has managed to hook up a big Halibut in his boat so far.

Serengeti Charters
05-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Took Len Shockey (Jims dad) and Eva Shockey (his daughter) plus a film crew out fishing today for a half day lingcod fishing, loaded the boat, pics to follow. Watch out for a few min of the fishing action on jim shockeys hunting adventures in the future!

Doublelung
05-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Just returned from Barclay sound. Took my bud and boat out fishing. Caught a 28, 21, 15 pound chinook. The 28 pounder is his biggest fish in his life. The driving rain couldnt have wiped the sh** eating grin off his face. Fishing on the west coast is picking up as the american fish are showing up in large numbers. Looks to be another amazing year for fishing on the coast. I now have to work for 7 days then return to fish for 21. Lets hope my luck holds out.

Tight lines

jschase76
05-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the fishing is starting to get good on the coast. Im heading to Rupert in ten days counting the minutes hopefully theres a few big springs around.

Jamie
05-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Absolutely things are picking up.
We nailed twin 34#'s yesterday along with 17#, 20#, 20# and a 16# and this was just on one tide.
Lots of room at the lodge for June guys. If you ever wanted a "Bucket List" trip, this is the year. Prices as low as $1,999 for 3 per boat over 3 days. June is the time to come if you’re looking for Springs and Hali's.

Lodge is looking great as the final touches happen. Our Chef "Jen" is pumping out some fantastic meals and all our guides are in camp. I know each and everyone of you are going to be impressed with the level of professionalism this crew has. I for one am just tickled pink.

The First annual staff tourney goes Tuesday and the lodge is fully open on Wednesday.

Something else we are doing this year is to offer accommodation and meals to those that may already have booked charters.

As well, I have come up with a idea that will allow those that are bring out their own boats to stay at our lodge and use the convenient moorage. Much better and safer than pulling your boat each and every night.

Jamie Hunt

Jamie
05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Here is Jen, our fabulous cook.
She managed something that is very special to a bunch of people.
Her first TYEE!!
34#s and a heck of a fight to I might add. It was a pleasure watching her work the Islander reel.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/JamieHunt/photo1-1-1.jpg

Serengeti Charters
05-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Out again tomorrow, will let you know how it goes, just finished setting up my new anchor set up to target those monster halibut, and there are A TON of them where we bottomfish, so weather permitting there will be a lot of big halibut coming over the rails of the Ms. Heather III this summer :D Only two dates left for 2011, july 9-11 and july 20-22.

Serengeti Charters
05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Here are the pictures with Jim Shockey's Hunting Adventures:

Len Johann with a 30+lbs Lingcod
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Game1-CanucksvsSharks013.jpg

Guide Rachel with a nice Lingcod
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Game1-CanucksvsSharks020.jpg

Eva Shockey with a good sized Ling
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Game1-CanucksvsSharks019.jpg

Rocks
05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Good thread, I didn't see it before I started a new one on my trip to Rupert. Just got back from a 3 day trip, four of us went, we limited out on halibut, biggest was 70, a few short of a limit on springs up to 30 pounds. It was the first salt water fishing for all 4 of us, and we had a great time, I will definitely be going back!

jschase76
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I will be on my way to rupert this week. Just wondering if anybody knows where the best moorage is? Port Ed looks closer to the fishing grounds. I didn't want to pull the boat out every day so looking for somewhere secure. Any info or advise would be very appreciated.

Thanks P.S love the pics that have been posted they are the reason a guy can't sleep at night! Dreamin of screamin reels!

Serengeti Charters
06-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Nailed them last few days, limits of hali and chinook, halibut between 25 and 50lbs, and Chinook between 17 and 46lbs, here are some pics from today, still have to get pics off of my camera from yesterday!!

Awesome story to go along with the 46lb Chinook too! So rod goes off, trips off downrigger, I run as fast as I can and nail it, SNAPPP, rod breaks right above handle so we are left with 1ft of rod with the reel, talk about difficult, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off goes the line, reel directly vs fish. My guest had just had her gall bladder removed a few days earlier as well, somehow she toughed it out. Once it got to the boat it was the most difficult part of the fight, thing loved the engine and wanted to cut itself off, but we used the broken off top 9ft of rod and held it with our hands to keep it away, what a gong show but what a story. Caught it and it's huge, especially for June 20th, as our big fish in Hardy don't usually show up till July, nevermind a 46lbs Chinook :D

here are some pics

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202011/FishingJune20th2011029.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202011/FishingJune20th2011023.jpg

28lb Chinook caught later
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202011/FishingJune20th2011028.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z27/canucksfanatic44/Fishing%202011/FishingJune20th2011033.jpg

Serengeti Charters
06-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Also just want to say 2010 was one of our best years in recent memory minus 2009, and the fishing this time last yaer wasn't nearly as good, I can't wait to see what is in store come June 27th onward...it will be EPIC!! Have one date open for rest of summer, July 9-11 (may not be open for long as got call about it today), if interested give me a shout.