PDA

View Full Version : Cancun shared fishing charter

Whiskey
04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I am going to cancun on the 18th, and I have never done any ocean fishing, so my girlfriend and I are going to try a deep sea charter. We never done it before, so I dont know if I want to rent the whole boat, so we were thinking on doing a 'shared' charter.

Does anybody know of any good boats that offer shared fishing trips? I could only find 1 searching the web. any recomendations or suggestions? thanks

hal53
04-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I am going to cancun on the 18th, and I have never done any ocean fishing, so my girlfriend and I are going to try a deep sea charter. We never done it before, so I dont know if I want to rent the whole boat, so we were thinking on doing a 'shared' charter.

Does anybody know of any good boats that offer shared fishing trips? I could only find 1 searching the web. any recomendations or suggestions? thanks
go on a shared one...check at the pool bar at your hotel or at the marina on the lagoon...great time
Hal

BTK
04-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't go on a shared one. It can be slim pickins sometimes and you may hook up maybe once or twice if you lucky and if there's 4-5 of you on the boat well you do the math.
Another thing I would suggest, don't use the charters out of the resort go to the marina and watch the boats come in, ask around.

hal53
04-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Don't go on a shared one. It can be slim pickins sometimes and you may hook up maybe once or twice if you lucky and if there's 4-5 of you on the boat well you do the math.
Another thing I would suggest, don't use the charters out of the resort go to the marina and watch the boats come in, ask around.
huh??? the hotels book at the same marina...but yes go down and check which boats are coming in with fish....once or twice???...we hooked Sail Fish until no one wanted anymore...then got into the Amber Jack until we were tired.....how many times have you done it??????

BTK
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
huh??? the hotels book at the same marina...but yes go down and check which boats are coming in with fish....once or twice???...we hooked Sail Fish until no one wanted anymore...then got into the Amber Jack until we were tired.....how many times have you done it??????

Lets see? I've fished Mexico 5 times, Costa rica X 2, Dominican R X 2, Cuba, Hawaii, Belize. I go fishing at least once everytime we go, you start to learn a few things after a while. One thing is Jan, Feb, Mar, are usually the worst times to go fishing as its the off season for most of the species there. Hotels use the same charters all the time they don't use whomever is available at the marinas. Another thing is Charters based out of the hotels end up taking alot of people out who don't know jack about deep sea fishing give them a tour out in the ocean get them sea sick bring them back in. If you take the time to do a little research before you go ask a few q's when you get there it can go along way.

Are my credentials adequate Hal or do I have to go another dozen times or so before I'm allowed to offer some advice?????

Whiskey if you don't want to shop around thats OK but if you can afford it just go by yourself, if you have a slow day you still might catcha fish or 2 but if you have a great day your arms wil be so sore you'll be drinkin your beer through a straw by the time you get back to shore:)

lannie
04-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Lets see? I've fished Mexico 5 times, Costa rica X 2, Dominican R X 2, Cuba, Hawaii, Belize. I go fishing at least once everytime we go, you start to learn a few things after a while. One thing is Jan, Feb, Mar, are usually the worst times to go fishing as its the off season for most of the species there. Hotels use the same charters all the time they don't use whomever is available at the marinas. Another thing is Charters based out of the hotels end up taking alot of people out who don't know jack about deep sea fishing give them a tour out in the ocean get them sea sick bring them back in. If you take the time to do a little research before you go ask a few q's when you get there it can go along way.

Are my credentials adequate Hal or do I have to go another dozen times or so before I'm allowed to offer some advice?????

Whiskey if you don't want to shop around thats OK but if you can afford it just go by yourself, if you have a slow day you still might catcha fish or 2 but if you have a great day your arms wil be so sore you'll be drinkin your beer through a straw by the time you get back to shore:)

I agree with you BTK. I have gone many times myself. I have only booked with the resort i was in once, and will never again. You will end up going with people who are really not into fishing or have stayed up all night and after the 5 minutes on the water they want to return to shore cause their tummy is bothering them. You will end up paying a higher rate doing this too. Booking at the resort/hotel is the way to go on a "boat ride" rather than fishing trip. If you want to "share a boat" make sure you know who you are "sharing" with and you also "share" the same fishing goals. If the charter outfit(captain ricks maybe) understands they are taking fisherman you will also end up with more experienced(better) guides etc.

Rockymtnx
04-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Check out this thread....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=85200&highlight=cancun

Whiskey
04-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Well, the girlfriend says she wants to do a shared trip for our first time for some reason, so I hope it will be alright. I will try to find out who I am going with before I pay though, cuse ya, I could understand how annoying it would be with the wrong people. So I guess I will watch which boats are coming back with fish and go from there, haha.

Lorne
04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I have done it both ways as far as I am concerned I book the whole boat now.You will have to pay for 2 people its probably not alot more for the whole boat.