PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some small/plentyful brookies?

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 06:28 PM
any ideas on where some creeks are to find some small but plentifull brookies?
Iv fished johnson lake for my first time going for them and landed a 14incher on a adams dry infront of the picknick tables. and lots more in that creek. its a hard lake to fish and fishing is doubtful there and i would not like to drive all the way to banff to fish em.
looking for anystreams/lakes from 1-2hours form caroline or nordgeg?

FishingFrenzy
04-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Elbow Lake in K-country has a ton of small brookies. you can find a few escapees from the lake in the Elbow River at its origin.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 06:32 PM
yeah i kinda wanted a creek to fish. i have on my list elbow lake, gap lake, peppers lake, rat lake, johnson lake. but no creeks yet.
thanks frenzy

uplander
04-09-2011, 06:44 PM
the headwaters of the raven

rielbowhunter
04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
jumping pound creek at cochrane

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 07:31 PM
the headwaters of the raven

alright i was at stauffer about a week ago without any trace of brookies...only big browns.
my buddy also fished it later on and also didnt see a trace of any brookies in the area.
how far upstream from the orange bridge are they?

uplander
04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
wait for later on in the season they aren't very active yet

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 07:49 PM
how far upstreen later on in the season? i fish usaly fish just from caroline

Kokanee9
04-09-2011, 07:53 PM
What about that forestry trunk road just west of you? It has been a while since I was out there. Perhaps there may be something in one of the books on that area.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
iv fished there lots of cuts and browns in elkcreek no brookies except in peppers and i cant seem to catch em there because i have not boat

chubbdarter
04-09-2011, 08:04 PM
catarac is the only creek i know thats full of brookies
i think there was or is another creek near canmore that had a brookie over population that had special regs to weed them out but i cant remember the name

slingshotz
04-09-2011, 08:13 PM
catarac is the only creek i know thats full of brookies
i think there was or is another creek near canmore that had a brookie over population that had special regs to weed them out but i cant remember the name

That would be Quirk Creek. Tried to get there one day but got lost so I don't know what it actually is like to fish.

chubbdarter
04-09-2011, 08:35 PM
That would be Quirk Creek. Tried to get there one day but got lost so I don't know what it actually is like to fish.

i looked it up, quirk is C and R

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Now its just about going and finding em now.
how far on average do you guys go up or down stream for brookies because i usaly go about 20 feet up and 20 feet down and move on...

Hooker
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Used to be the kind of fishing you are looking for out north west of Sundre on the upper Stoney Creek where rig street cut the upper reaches. I fished it for a couple of years and had a blast. Then word got out that the crazy fly fishing guy was actually catching fish and all of a sudden there was no place to park in the ditches or to fish on the creek banks. I haven't been back there for over 10 years but I suspect it should be quiet again and the population of brook trout has built back up again. The Upper Stoney creek is one of those overlooked brook trout streams that doesn't get fished heavily 100 meters beyond the roads. Reason for that is the heavy bush you have to walk through to get to the creek and beaver dams. When you do get to a beaver dam you have found heaven. I'm a little old to elbow my way through those willows now so I don't mind telling you younger fishers about these honey holes.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
i seen videos on youtube about it but i cant locate it?

calgarygringo
04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Cataract is one of the best I have fished and have been going there for 30 or so years. Walk upstream and follow the logging road and fish bridge 3 and upstream and the beaver ponds. You will be amazed what is in that little creek. Surprises a lot of folks when we head up there. closed until June but worth the trip if you want to catch brookies all day long and take a few for supper as well.
Might be time to have another guided trip up there this year. I headed a group off the board 2 years ago and we didn't even have a great day by my standards but everyone caught a bunch and had a great day. Don't be surprised to find some 12-16 inchers with nice hook jaws meeting your line.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 09:04 PM
thanks thats the info i wanted. i just wanna know where there located in the creeks. i know where there holding positions are but usaly the fish are gone from there.
im guessing in fall the hook jaws start...

calgarygringo
04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Just look for the deep holes in the creeks and you will find them. Don't forget beaver ponds and they also dig their way in the bottom so sometimes you dont even see them. Watch for those deep pools right beside the fast water as they rush out of there to grab the feed that comes through the shallow rapids into the swirling deep holes. The pic in my sig is cataract as well. There are also many other creeks to fish especially for cuts and Highwood beaver ponds are a fun place if you know or can find where to get in.

Dust1n
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
any special flies? will the drys be effective lator on in the season> or wat will be best becasue usaly in the brook trout lakes they surface quite often but not as often as bows or cuts or anythin liek that. i would go thelivingstone but the cuts are too easy.

uplander
04-10-2011, 11:18 AM
they love dry flies make sure there not to big for em though

hunter49
04-10-2011, 04:36 PM
any special flies? will the drys be effective lator on in the season> or wat will be best becasue usaly in the brook trout lakes they surface quite often but not as often as bows or cuts or anythin liek that. i would go thelivingstone but the cuts are too easy.

You think that livingstone cutts are easier than cataract brookies? :thinking-006:

gprime27
04-10-2011, 06:58 PM
well you can come here we can take the inflatable out and try it :)

Dust1n
04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
yeah prime im going out to lethbridge in the summer well hit it up :)

Dust1n
04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
You think that livingstone cutts are easier than cataract brookies? :thinking-006:

i havent fished cataract creek but i fished all cutty streems last year and yet to hook into brookies. with big attractor patterns in the seems and pools. with the ocaional bull every KM or so