PDA

View Full Version : Bullshead, Michelle ice conditions??

Shawnlh
04-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Anybody know if Bullshead or Michelle have any open water yet??
I've always had great luck when the has ice receded about 15 ft. from shore.

npauls
04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I have heard that there is still tons of ice on bullshead. hopefully its out of there soon. As soon as I hear that there is open water I will be heading down that way.

Couleestalker
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Frozen solid yesterday

Shawnlh
04-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Frozen solid yesterday

Dam.....at least two more weeks till open water then. It's suppose to cool off down here for a week or so.

Is spring ever coming this year???

kinwahkly
04-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Can you ice fish at Bullshead? Is the ice still thick enough?

Fishfinder
04-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Can you ice fish at Bullshead? Is the ice still thick enough?

follow the thread bud. Don't just pipe in with the same questions. Mich n Bulls won't be ice free for some time. Cypress takes some time. If your gonna ice fish...bring a plank...n L jacket. Hardwater is over round here.
We are in Slush season. Do not drive on BH ice. Wait a few days, them lil trouties are not going anywhere.....mind u....the weekend warriors are at play...
Cheers n GL!

sportster
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
ice on the lake was 24" on sunday but the melt was on. on the way off the lake was sinking up to top of high rubber boots in flood ice. if your going out take some good boots and watch out for all the holes everywhere. one more thing, its fishing pretty slow. not even a bite in 3hrs. tried michelle first with same result.ice at michelle is soft but lots of it.

bloom
04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Exact same sentiments as Sportster. Fishing was slow...heard of a lot of fish leaving the lake the first weekend.

Tough to see the holes on the ice (and there's lots of them)...went knee deep into one of them for the first time ever on the ice. I'm not even sure it was a hole...looked more like a soft spot.

I won't be back on the ice this year.

Fishfinder
04-12-2011, 10:42 PM
ice on the lake was 24" on sunday but the melt was on. on the way off the lake was sinking up to top of high rubber boots in flood ice. if your going out take some good boots and watch out for all the holes everywhere. one more thing, its fishing pretty slow. not even a bite in 3hrs. tried michelle first with same result.ice at michelle is soft but lots of it.

Any action at Mich?

sportster
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
fished by the dam and started in about 18' fow and ended up trying in 8' fow and not even a bite in 31/2 hrs. i threw everything at em and nothing. lots of snow and ice, that lake is gonna be full

MuleyMonster
04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Was out both days for the morning fishing.

Got far away from the crowds and 36 inches of ice. Almost needed an extension but had a few inches to spare.

Saturday managed to catch 15 fish and 6 of them keepers between myself and fishing partner. Of course he caught 12 of them. Hooked another 6-7 and lost them before bringing them up. Hooping wind to start off and then when it calmed down it was a steady bite until 1pm.

Sunday went back to same spot and only managed about the same between 3 of us this time. Of course I caught my 2 and was outfished by the other 2 guys. Bite was a lot slower than the day before and 4 were keepers but only kept 2. Caught a great one that was about 24 inches and around 4.5 pounds. Had the camera down the for the last 1/2 hour and saw at least 10 fish but they were not interested in anything.

Not sure what it is this year with the bite as a lot slower but the fish are there.

Will probably go back again this weekend and see if we can find what they really want as they are there but are a little more work that what we are used to in the past. Good luck everyone out there and be safe on the ice as it is going to get interesting with this warm weather and wind.

Sundancefisher
04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Sunday went back to same spot and only managed about the same between 3 of us this time. Of course I caught my 2 and was outfished by the other 2 guys. Bite was a lot slower than the day before and 4 were keepers but only kept 2..

Your post may of unintentionally stated you personally kept two rainbows. The regulations are you can only keep one. I am sure it was just the wording and not what you meant.

Bullhead Reservoir (28-8-4-W4), including outlet (Bullshead Creek) downstream to Eagle Butte Rd. Bridge
Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 over 50 cm; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED

MuleyMonster
04-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes only kept one myself and the other was kept by fishing partner. Sorry should have been clearer in my explanation.

Pudelpointer
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Yes only kept one myself and the other was kept by fishing partner. Sorry should have been clearer in my explanation.

So, was the one you caught the day before eaten for dinner that night? Otherwise you had too many in your possession (the ones at your house count as part of your "possession limit"). Just sayin.

npauls
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Isn't daily limits and possession limits different? I thought that daily limits were one thing and your possession limits are a different number.

I don't keep fish very often anyways but I have always thought that they were 2 different numbers.

Sundancefisher
04-13-2011, 04:15 PM
So, was the one you caught the day before eaten for dinner that night? Otherwise you had too many in your possession (the ones at your house count as part of your "possession limit"). Just sayin.

For a second I was going to challenge you Pudel but I thought to check the regs since I have not kept a fish in BC for some time.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

4. Possession: The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1-day limit at the water body fished and includes fish stored at home.

Bullhead Reservoir (28-8-4-W4), including outlet (Bullshead Creek) downstream to Eagle Butte Rd. Bridge
Apr. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 over 50 cm; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED

Based upon that read...it is pretty clear. If you have a trout from Bullshead at home and kill another one...you are poaching and subject to being charged as so.

Everyone should be aware of that not just to be a good sportsman and conserver of the resource but also law abiding... Not to mention...harvesting them like hotcakes now means fewer to catch in the Summer...

Cheers

Sun

Pudelpointer
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Used to be different, but now there is just "possession limit". Before the possession limit was 2 times the daily limit (3 times many years ago I believe), but now - due to rampant abuse - you are only allowed to possess a single limit. Now many believe, and may be right, that you can keep up to 5 trout in your possession even if they all come from the same body of water - in this case Bullshead - however, I believe that you are not allowed to have more than one fish in your possession (again, including what is at your house) from Bullshead at any one time.

Let the argument begin...

ETA Thanks for posting that Sundance.

MuleyMonster
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Not sure as I never get the chance to keep a trout overnight. As soon as the family knows I am going fishing it is expected that we have fish for supper. The fish from Saturday was gone by 6pm that night and they was no complaints that I was going out the next day. I have too many kids to worry about left overs (9,7,4 & 2 years old) and the wife loves fresh fish done on the BBQ.

I personally practise that if it from a lake that has a one fish limit I make sure that I only have one from that lake but not sure how F&W look at it?

Curious to see where the concensus is?

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Isn't daily limits and possession limits different? I thought that daily limits were one thing and your possession limits are a different number.

I don't keep fish very often anyways but I have always thought that they were 2 different numbers.

possion limits are the number of fish you can have siting in your freezer and daily catch limits are how many you can take home on a day to day basis

Pudelpointer
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
possion limits are the number of fish you can have siting in your freezer and daily catch limits are how many you can take home on a day to day basis

100% correct Fish Hunter7, but in AB there are no longer "daily possession limits", only maximum possession limits. Other jurisdictions vary.

Pudelpointer
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Fish never makes it to the freezer in my house either MM.

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
i harvest a few whites every now and then from sylvan lake and put and take lakes but i wont keep big fish anymore from what iv done in the past. its better off in the lake then in your frrezer burnt. if you C&R and care about you fishery good for you but if you want something to eat please limit your catch.
i went back and forth with this typing for 20 mins and it took too long paintball videos are distracting...

chubbdarter
04-13-2011, 09:24 PM
ill take a fish home from a take and put fishery but nothing resadent. i only take what i eat so if i take a few whites ill invite some budds for a fish fry.
take what you eat and nothing more please. i practise C&R and so should you. but if you keep a fish try and take from put and take fisheries
or places where there is a over/good population.

whats that mean?

Geezle
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
whats that mean?

I'm guessing by resIdent he's meaning native?

i practise C&R and so should you.
For the most part you seem like a good guy. That being said, this statement in particular comes off rather preachy. Nobody likes having the morals of somebody else pushed on them, and the fact is that if they're operating within the laws they should be free to "have at 'er"

And this is coming from a 98% C&R guy.

Also, spell check is your friend. It'll help make your posts more readable. :o

ishootbambi
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM

For the most part you seem like a good guy. That being said, this statement in particular comes off rather preachy. Nobody likes having the morals of somebody else pushed on them, and the fact is that if they're operating within the laws they should be free to "have at 'er"

agreed. im a 100% C&R guy, but to look down my nose at those who enjoy a meal of fresh fish just isnt cool. keep it within the rules and i have no problem with it.

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 09:41 PM

i am a 95% C&R guy im not saying YOU WILL PRACTISE C&R just incourgaing it. theres nothin wrong with keeping a fish that your legal to keep just limit your catch in a way the remins fishery strong.or take from a put and take lake
like from stocking ponds but if you c&r in a place like elbow lake the brookies are stunted due to over population so keeping fish is encouarged so the remaining ones can grow bigger.

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I made a poll on C&R so we dont do anymore damage to his thread.

michaelmicallef
04-15-2011, 04:49 PM
So is the ice off yet? Glad to see everyone wants to protect our fisheries.

Fishfinder
04-17-2011, 10:37 AM
So is the ice off yet? Glad to see everyone wants to protect our fisheries.

Was out last 2 days. There is open water at bottom of spillway and top. About 30ft. Never caught anything at bottom but never tried too long, just dont feel like proper fishing. Went to top and landed 1, lost 1 at banks as did buddy. I rarely see my knots fail, but that day, they did. DONT TIE KNOTS WITH COLD HANDS!
Never fished yesterday, just looksee.
Our fish were caught and lost on panther martin spinners. Gold, yellow, orange. They were hitting them hard.
O ya, there is a lil open water at the boat launch too.
Apologize about my mis-information earlier, i thought we would not see open water there till May, I stand corrected. There is not much, enough for 2 maaaaaaaybe 3 fishermen at best. But tthem trouties are hungry. Forgot my tape measure in the truck cuz I'm smart but all fish looked over 50cm. Wasn't there for supper though anyway, just wrangling.
Cheers all!

Fishfinder
04-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Bullshead is 4% ice free. Michelle, spruce and reesor...not sure.
Echodale 100% ice free. Cavan should be 100% as well.
Tried echo for awhile too, no soup for me. Not even a nibble.

kinwahkly
04-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Hoping to go Friday, hope there's some more open water.

sportster
04-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Bullshead is 4% ice free. Michelle, spruce and reesor...not sure.
Echodale 100% ice free. Cavan should be 100% as well.
Tried echo for awhile too, no soup for me. Not even a nibble.

was at cavan today with kids, and yes it is 100% open. holy i have never seen that much water in that lake. no bites or fish as it was very cold for the kiddies.If that water stays up, there will be some decent fish in there to. They seem to grow fast in there