PDA

View Full Version : Walleye jigs

Deano85
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
What colors do you find most effective for walleye jigs? I always use green and chartreuse. Thanks

Grouse Assassin
04-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Chartruse or white, orange and black once in a while seems to work rather well:)

horsetrader
04-13-2011, 07:22 PM
What colors do you find most effective for walleye jigs? I always use green and chartreuse. Thanks

I use pink 90% of the time rest of time black floating jig drop shot

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM
top 3 colors for me are:
*PINK
*CHARTUSE
Black and White are pretty equel
colors arnt you main factor its the presentation. although color has abit to do with feedng.

Jwood 456
04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
For me, I generally swear by a chartreuse feather flasher jig made my apex. The jig head is orange while the plastic grub is Chartreuse and the tail feathers on the jig are orange as well. Just tip the jig with a shiner. Hook the shiner through the eyes and put on a piece of another rubber grub on the hook to lock the bait onto the hook.

I will also use a 3'' chartreuse gulp minnow on a lindy glow jig head and tip it with a minnow. Even when after walleye pick the minnow off the hook, they will still bite the plain gulp.

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
gulp works great..it has ups and downs. they will outfish minnows on certain days on sylvan 3:! but some days they dont touch it all and go all over minnows and leeches.
thyre a great buy instead of one pack of shinners for $6.00 the gulp will last about a month and one minow last about 25 fish so worth it against 1 fish one minnow

nicemustang
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Green, pink or glow for me, in that order.

whitetail Junkie
04-13-2011, 09:43 PM
what colors do you find most effective for walleye jigs? I always use green and chartreuse. Thanks

orange

Daceminnow
04-13-2011, 09:57 PM
blue and chartreuse green with red on white eye. it's the "daceminnow". not many guys fishing blue hey?

ShhImFishing
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Chartreuse hands down, atleast for me :D
The walleye dont seem to learn, thankfully lol :sHa_shakeshout:

Dust1n
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
blue and chartreuse green with red on white eye. it's the "daceminnow". not many guys fishing blue hey?
i fish blue on plugs and spoons not too much on jigs but i do like a combination of colors on my jigs.to cover see whats working best.

Willowtrail
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Not too picky on my head, on a good day the paint wears off down to the lead.
As for body I use #1 White, #2 Chartreuse

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Chartreuse , white , blue , Red , orange , Chartreuse . My new favorite PINK .

Beazer
04-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Pink, Blue, and sparkly Green

Geezle
04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
For me fishing in the river, the color of the head isn't so important...the paint is usually all chipped off by the end of the day anyway. As for what's behind that... chartreuse/yellow has always been good to me, as well as pearl or white.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-16-2011, 12:42 AM
For me fishing in the river, the color of the head isn't so important...the paint is usually all chipped off by the end of the day anyway. As for what's behind that... chartreuse/yellow has always been good to me, as well as pearl or white.

Ill let you try out my new jig heads ive been promised the paint wont chip . Ill give ya a few to test that theory on

Cal
04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
If I've got black, yellow, and white I feel pretty well armed. Most days at least one of those colors will produce, seems like white is the most concistant for me but some days the other colors seem to have the edge. Most notably I find a black jig will sometimes catch walleye on days they wont hit other colors while often if I'm catching fish on an orange or yellow jig I can switch to white and still do OK, and vice versa.

For the Jig heads I'm like Geezle probably because I do alot of river fishing as well. I usualy buy the ones with no paint and they seem to work just as well as anything else.

Geezle
04-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Ill let you try out my new jig heads ive been promised the paint wont chip . Ill give ya a few to test that theory on

Sounds like fun :)

I'm curious to see if the paint will actually stay chip free though...you should see some of the mangled jigheads I have in the ol' tackle box...some are hardly even their original shape anymore :lol:

But they'll still catch fish :)

calgarygringo
04-16-2011, 08:44 AM
I have been using the Reel Bait type jigs for the last several years and find they have been quite productive. They come with a silver flasher and all the different colors and sizes. My faves are of course the usual greens but find pink and black are right up there most of the time. Tip with a smelt, crawler or leach depending where and when and the wallys seems to love them. We have pulled out many 5-10 pounders using these and if one color is not working get out another. I know the blue was mentioned and is funny I have not used a blue jig since I was a kid. My dad always did and as I got older I went away from them. One of my favorites for trolling wallys is floating blue rapalas or raps go figure. I may have to revisit that jig color again.