PDA

View Full Version : Split grip rods

Geezle
04-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Since I'm not a total fishing gear geek (just a small geek for now) I was wondering what the deal is with all the split grip rods I've been seeing recently. Mainly, I'm wondering if there's a purpose to having the blank exposed on part of the handle. Does it make the rod more sensitive since you're in direct contact with the blank? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?

Seems like this 'feature' is mainly on slightly more expensive like the TFO rod that's come up in conversation recently, or on the snazzy Abu Garcia rod that mooseknuckle picked up at the show.

WayneChristie
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
I believe its to increase felt sensitivity, since your hand is in actual contact with the rod and not a foam or cork handle that absorbs vibrations

Kokanee9
04-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Not sure what the advantage or purpose is. Weight? The little bit of cork missing can't weigh that much.
I was actually thinking of replacing one of my rods with one of the tfo rods. I was kind of surprised when I started looking and saw the ends on them. I was going to match it up with one of these reels: http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fresh-sal****er-fishing/spinning-reels/supreme-xt/prod247154.html

First time going to pfleuger. Always had a shimano so far.

Dust1n
04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
its lighter and more sensitive and for looks

FishingFrenzy
04-16-2011, 10:02 AM
What everyone else said PLUS, if you have ever used one they are VERY nice to use.
Its more comfortable to hold than other styles of rods. IMO

Winch101
04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I dont like them , sit in a rod holder weird , cold on the hands , slippery when wet....as far as feel goes , if rod and reel balanced properly being able to touch the blank is not an issue ....I noticed at BP that most of their rods have this , another thing I wont be buying there ..

W101

OttCan
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Personally, I don't like the look of them..or feel. I have a perfectly balanced Compre with a Symetre 2500 reel...It has a 9" or so rear grip..

I don't under stand the purpose of the split grip..when youre reeling your hand holding the rod should have atleast one finger on the blank to feel hits..the Compre has an exposed portion thet is positioned perfectly..and your other hand is reeling...wheres your third hand to hold and feel a hit on the bottom of the rod..???

dodger
04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Pumping out several million rods with 50% less cork/foam means more profits for the company.

Come up with a gimmick for the buyer and a few pros gushing about it adds to the profits from extra sales.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.

Alberta Bigbore
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
i like the way they give a balanced feel on superlite rods

Jwood 456
04-16-2011, 07:08 PM
I've seen them selling those split grip rods as well. I thought they looked pretty cool. Like other posters have said, I agree that the split grip is for looks sensitivty and lightness. For now, I will stick with my Berkely lightning rod. I have had that rod for 6 years now that has been heavilly used and hasn't given me a problem yet.(touch wood)

chubbdarter
04-16-2011, 07:31 PM
sellin Gimmick.....smoke and mirrors....bells and whistles
its a cover up for something lacking
dont fall for it...its like putting a sparkly bikini on a ugly chick
a high end rod is made of 5 things

a qaulity blank
a set of quality line guides
a guality cork
a quality reel seat
a quality builder

sadly they add all the gimmicks and then try charge good rod prices....convince a big name fisherman to endorse it and now you have a 150-200 buck rod that isnt worth a bag of broken ugly sticks.

Most high end rods are simple in design and high in quality material.....simple, classy in appearance.....and expensive.

Kokanee9
04-16-2011, 07:46 PM
.................and now you have a 150-200 buck rod that isnt worth a bag of broken ugly sticks.

That's funny.

But when it comes down to it, the "Ugly Stick" name has sold several million on just the name alone. Marketing genius.

TJG
04-16-2011, 09:02 PM

a qaulity blank
a guality cork
a quality reel seat
a quality builder

sadly they add all the gimmicks and then try charge good rod prices....convince a big name fisherman to endorse it and now you have a 150-200 buck rod that isnt worth a bag of broken ugly sticks.

Most high end rods are simple in design and high in quality material.....simple, classy in appearance.....and expensive.

LOL:sHa_sarcasticlol:

chubbdarter
04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
That's funny.

But when it comes down to it, the "Ugly Stick" name has sold several million on just the name alone. Marketing genius.

exactly my point.....millions sold but the vast majority are being used to stake tomato plants now.............K-tel and Ron Popiel mentality

Jwood 456
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM

a qaulity blank
a guality cork
a quality reel seat
a quality builder

I also notice and like that with many high end rods, they're made in North America and not outsourced and made overseas. I also agree that the top end rods being simple in design also helps because that is just that much less components to break IMO.

Beazer
04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
I like split grips for lighter rods, but when i get into tossin big cranks, spinnerbaits or basically fishing for pike, I use a heavy rod w/o split grips. Maybe because it feels stronger that way, i don't know but it's been working so far.
I nabbed a President rod and it has been stellar and it wasn't even that expensive for the bow.

For me, a split grip is more comfortable and fits my hands perfectly for the way I fish. It wont work for everyone with just any reel, but when it all matches, I am super comfy with the right setup.

bobalong
04-17-2011, 12:45 AM
I believe they were actually introduced as drop shot rods, although I have seen very few people actually drop shotting with them. I have a couple of the baitcast models, and do like the feel of them when fishing.

SushiUnagi
04-17-2011, 12:59 AM
:sign0087:

jeprli
04-17-2011, 07:47 AM
You can not increase sensitivity of a rod by adding a split grip design! Don't know who came up with that idea but it is not the purpose.

On shorter rods it is purely a cosmetical thing, only thing it does is let you know that blank of the rod runs all the way through the handle. Some cheaper rods have the extensions built in from reel seat down to the butt end, this makes them very fragile if you load them beyond the capacity, and unstable, they tend to roll in your hand when fighting a big fish.

On longer rods such as surf rods it acts as a pendulum, and concentrates weight at it lowest point(butt end) of the rod which during a cast transfers the energy to the blank, it loads and finally releases all of it through tip of the rod which will project your lure a certain distance(a very, very long distance). Since weight is in the butt of the rod it makes casting big lures very easy.

I've done this with a salmon/steelhead blank, an x-fast, medium heavy 8'9" with a moderate taper(lamiglass xmg50). It casts a mile with a 2500 size reel and 8lb-10lb braid.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 07:50 AM
the rod blank goes through the cork and is re exposed....the rod blank is the most sensitive part of the rod .

jeprli
04-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Yes blank is the most sensitive part of the rod, but that has nothing to do with a split grip set up.

If you want sensitivity, buy a high modulus graphite rod.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:05 AM
if your just holding onto the back of the rod you may not be able to feeel those small strikes by having the split grip the rod is more explosed.

jeprli
04-17-2011, 08:18 AM
You only hold the rod at the butt if you do a two hand cast, and only during a cast, once your lure is in the water you're holding the reel seat and retrieving line. Butt section is there to help leverage/control when fish is hooked, be it full or split grip, but has nothing to do with strike detection.

Sensitivity, beside high modulus, can also be obtained by properly balancing your rod so it sits level(or slightly heavy in the butt section) when you grip it by the reel seat.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:20 AM
who said you had to be retreving the hook all the time. what if you just set your jig on the bottom and are waiting for a smal strike?

Geezle
04-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Wow, quite the little debate going on over this one...thanks guys, and keep it up :cool:

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:30 AM
i guess it would be that much lighter without the cork on the back

mooseknuckle
04-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I like mine cuz it looks cool. saves on weight, but not on money.

Freedom55
04-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Pumping out several million rods with 50% less cork/foam means more profits for the company.

Come up with a gimmick for the buyer and a few pros gushing about it adds to the profits from extra sales.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.

X2
I'm still catching plenty of fish on a Diawa fibreglas rod that I've had since the seventies. It doesn't come apart anymore, but the Fflueger reel on the thick end is top of the line.
Not to mention my old split-cane 10 footer. (or my ugly sticks)
Besides, I'm saving my fishing money for gas.

Geezle
04-17-2011, 08:44 AM
I like mine cuz it looks cool. saves on weight, but not on money.

Did you pick up a new one yet?

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
im getting the new TFO split grip i think this spring for the walleye/trout fishing!

jeprli
04-17-2011, 08:50 AM
who said you had to be retreving the hook all the time. what if you just set your jig on the bottom and are waiting for a smal strike?

Even if you're not retrieving you're still holding the rod at the reel seat not at the but end. It doesnt really make sense, it's not a bamboo rod with a float and string to be held at the far end.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:53 AM
i hold my rod at the but end when walleye fishing at sylvan...

jeprli
04-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Well that is first time i hear/see that, your hand must be very tired at the end of the day. Sorry but it just seems very impractical to fish that way, your 2lb walleye must feel like a 10lb when you fight the fish this way, with very little control over it since there is no leverage left.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
yeah it is lol. the walleye at marina bay in sylvan are the weakest fighters ever! and theres tons of em so getting over 150fish is not out of reach.

OttCan
04-17-2011, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=chubbdarter;908737]
...sadly they add all the gimmicks and then try charge good rod prices....convince a big name fisherman to endorse it...QUOTE]

They dont convince the big name fisherman...they give them free rods and cash! they know they hate them before they fish with them...but they still have to 'play' with them...

chubbdarter
04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=chubbdarter;908737]
...sadly they add all the gimmicks and then try charge good rod prices....convince a big name fisherman to endorse it...QUOTE]

They dont convince the big name fisherman...they give them free rods and cash! they know they hate them before they fish with them...but they still have to 'play' with them...

isnt giving cash and product=convincing??

The funniest part of all this Split grip handles is....99 % of all split handled rods are made from poopy blanks.
for example do yourself a favour and do a side by side comparison.....take the tfo-loomis and a G-loomis rod in comparible lengths and line sizes. YES i know there is a price difference but this is a handle discussion.
In my opinion the difference is clear........without a high quality blank and balanced constructon on a qaulity reel seat.....having split grip is pointless

even with the arguement they are more sensitive(which i completely disagree with) how is that possible with a low grade blank. Putting spots on a swamp rat wont make it a cheetah.

Im not saying fishing cant be enjoyed with a 0-100 fishing rod or a 40 dollar reel......my point is there is difference.....

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
i bought mine for the looks and to try something new. i got mine about 4 years ago at white elephant in the usa and the feel to it is great on a agility baitcaster

chubbdarter
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM
i bought mine for the looks and to try something new. i got mine about 4 years ago at white elephant in the usa and the feel to it is great on a agility baitcaster

Dustin your a good kid and i enjoy your posts...well the ones i understand.
Next time your in Calgary stop at my house i have a rod for you to have.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Are you retiing from fishing or what chubbs!

chubbdarter
04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Are you retiing from fishing or what chubbs!

nah...just way too much stuff.....stuff thats 3 years old with the tags and plastic on them...need a good home....lol

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:36 PM
ohh haha i see. i probibly wont be back till the weather gts its act togther and the browns can acualy see my lure.
starting tommorow i got rugby full out so i wont be able to get oout till the seasons done.
Thanks Chubbs

Mish@
04-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Yes the split handles provide good sensitivity by i find them less comfortable to hold. The style I like is when the cork has a slit for your index finger for touching the actual rod. This provides great sensitivity and also comfort :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-18-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm not gonna go threw 40 some posts , but the reason they do this is several reasons .

Sensitivity ,
Balance ,
Look ,
weight ,
and aesthetics
are the reasons why this is the new way of some rod manufacturers . Ive got no proof behind my thinking but its pretty common sense if you ask me .

Everything seems to be sleeker , lighter , and the look, is the new way for most gear don't matter if its a rifle , or a fishing rod , seems to be what they do .

I personally not a big fan had a rapala rod with it but rod broke don't really miss the handle but i miss the rod its self .

Dust1n
04-18-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm not gonna go threw 40 some posts , but the reason they do this is several reasons .

Sensitivity ,
Balance ,
Look ,
weight ,
and aesthetics
are the reasons why this is the new way of some rod manufacturers . Ive got no proof behind my thinking but its pretty common sense if you ask me .

Everything seems to be sleeker , lighter , and the look, is the new way for most gear don't matter if its a rifle , or a fishing rod , seems to be what they do .

I personally not a big fan had a rapala rod with it but rod broke don't really miss the handle but i miss the rod its self .

i always hated rapala rods/reels they just dont work and break to often and there crap stick to the lures please rap lol

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-18-2011, 12:56 PM
i always hated rapala rods/reels they just dont work and break to often and there crap stick to the lures please rap lol

I cant think of what the model was but I tell you it was one of the best rods and reels I had . Very smooth reeling system and I used that rod to haul in anything from perch to 15 lb pike , was my favorite walleye jigging rod .

Then I meet Fenwick walleye class rod. And Berkley Lightining rod . Them are great jigging rods .

Jwood 456
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Yeah I agree on that one. One of my buddys had a Rapala rod and it seemed to perform very awesome until it broke three months after purchas.

npauls
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I have 3 rapala magnum 5'6" light weight rods I use for jigging walleye all summer. I have yet to have one break on me. So far it is my favorite rod for jigging and it only cost me $30 a piece for them. Paired up with a small pflueger president reel and some good 4 or 6lbs braid and I could jig walleyes up constantly without a problem.

Jwood 456
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Then I meet Fenwick walleye class rod. And Berkley Lightining rod . Them are great jigging rods .

I have a berkley lightning rod and have owned it for about six years without any issues. (touch wood)

Hands down I believe that is the best jigging rod I have used so far walleye fishing IMO. I have reeled in hundreds of walleye with that rod to 15lb pike.

That thing has also handled reeling in rocks pretty good as well.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

chubbdarter
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
split handled rods were invented for Bass fisherman and drop shot fishing. Drop shot fishing, or more reallistically fancy pikeral rigging uses a forearm shiver technique. The technique requires the butt section to align with the forearm to the elbow. So butt sections were lenghtened, which added more weight. To compensate for the weight of the longer blank, cork or eva was removed.
So unless your a Bass fisherman drop shotting there is no benifit.
The rod is not lighter because of the blank length
The rod is not more sensitive, unless you hold the exposed part of the handle and even if you did it would be so awkward it would be like swatting flies with a wet noodle. Most of these rods are built from lesser quality blanks...so the handles sensitivity isnt a factor at that point. Its like having top end speakers wired on cheap wire
With there being only 1 rod maker building a split grip rod from high modulas graphite, 99% of split grip rods are not lighter. You cant build a rod with lesser quality blanks and remove a secton of eva or cork that weights equal to 4 sheets of bum wipe and claim they are lighter...Yes lighter than having the cork or eva but a far cry from being in the light catagory of a high end rod.
Its a marketing ploy....."oh boy look at how cool this rod looks"
Sadly the fact remains you get what you pay for. The rod market in the 60-150 buck range is fierce and bells and whistles sells to alot of fisherman. Like alot of tackle it catches more fisherman than fish

Dust1n
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah I agree on that one. One of my buddys had a Rapala rod and it seemed to perform very awesome until it broke three months after purchas.

justin mine broke about 3 months after too same with my buddys they were great for the time using it though thn it kinda fell apart

gramps73
04-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I dont like them , sit in a rod holder weird , cold on the hands , slippery when wet....as far as feel goes , if rod and reel balanced properly being able to touch the blank is not an issue ....I noticed at BP that most of their rods have this , another thing I wont be buying there ..

W101

x2