PDA

View Full Version : Whats the latest, best in fishfinder/GPS units as of late?

Skinnydipper
04-16-2011, 12:57 PM
If you were to buy a new fishfinder/GPS in the $500-$800 range for use in Alberta what would you buy? Please expand on your reasons; ease of use, compatibility with mapping programs, quality of screen, ease of use, etc. I am normally a Garmin user but am torn with several other intriguing options from others like Lowrance and Humminbird.:test:

TJG
04-16-2011, 02:59 PM
If you were to buy a new fishfinder/GPS in the $500-$800 range for use in Alberta what would you buy? Please expand on your reasons; ease of use, compatibility with mapping programs, quality of screen, ease of use, etc. I am normally a Garmin user but am torn with several other intriguing options from others like Lowrance and Humminbird.:test:

Fishing hole had the 798ci sideimaging/down imaging on sale last week, $899
u can talk to them, bet u can get the same deal 2day

SushiUnagi
04-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Fishing hole had the 798ci sideimaging/down imaging on sale last week, $899
u can talk to them, bet u can get the same deal 2day

I'm looking at something similar as well and saw a video on the sideimaging technology from Humminbird...very cool indeed! The guys were trolling down a channel and finding structures using sideimaging. Mark those as waypoints then flipped to GPS mode and positioned the boat right in front of that spot. Cast out and very soon caught a few.

How's the GPS and Alberta maps on these units? Or do you even need a map to use it? If I heard right, it doesn't contain any Canadian lake maps...you will have to buy a navionics chip? But even with that, it doesn't contain all the lakes in AB?

Kokanee9
04-17-2011, 07:55 AM
How about one of these? I wouldn't buy one with the maps preloaded. More for the states I think. If I understand it right, the navionics is the map for Canadian lakes. The hds ones also need a second piece (structure scan module at $500-$600) added to them to get the full benefit.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Mark-Elite-Series/Elite-5-DSI/

Skinnydipper
04-17-2011, 09:13 AM
In a lengthy discussion with an expert yesterday, given the parameters of what I was after, the recommendation was to stay with either Lowrance or Humminbird. I am likely going to buy the HDS-5 because of it's ability to be upgraded as desired. I am drawn to the option of the iPhone docking, AM/FM unit with speakers that can be controlled from the finder. I need a through hull style transducer and this model has several options in that area as well. A big thanks to Kelly from Fishin' Hole for spending time and educating me on the latest.

BuckHunterBowen
04-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I would get somethin from the hds line they are simply awesome