PDA

View Full Version : Speed limit is 100 not 80!!!

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 03:36 PM
For the love of god! Drove back from Boyle to Morinville around lunch and passed 14 vehicles doing anywhere from 80 to 95kmh. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are. Today they were perfect and people are in dreamland out there, passed one guy doing about 76kmh. Snap out of it, If you look in your rear view and there are twenty cars jammed up behind you, pull over on the shoulder and let people pass! Jeez, lets twin 63 already!

demolition101
04-16-2011, 03:52 PM
For the love of god! Drove back from Boyle to Morinville around lunch and passed 14 vehicles doing anywhere from 80 to 95kmh. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are. Today they were perfect and people are in dreamland out there, passed one guy doing about 76kmh. Snap out of it, If you look in your rear view and there are twenty cars jammed up behind you, pull over on the shoulder and let people pass! Jeez, lets twin 63 already!

x2

Got Juice?
04-16-2011, 03:54 PM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot complain about speeders without complaining about the ones driving too slow. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Lonnie
04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
what realy gets me is when you have company trucks going slow you just know those guys are getting payed by the hour and do not want to get back to much before quiting time.

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot complain about speeders without complaining about the ones driving too slow. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Not really sure what you mean. Are you saying that people can't get peeved at people doing 20 k under the speed limit? Or 50 k over for that matter?

artie
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Once you get on pension and relax you find you never need to go anywhere in a hurry. For some of us 80 is just fine as long as your not holding up traffic.I will move over to let guys by but don't try to hurry me. I find I can spot more game going 80 than I can going 100.

Redfrog
04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I hope you got license plate numbers.

With high fuel prices 80 is the new 100.

Were there any N/L stickers in the windows? :)

Got Juice?
04-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Not really sure what you mean. Are you saying that people can't get peeved at people doing 20 k under the speed limit? Or 50 k over for that matter?

What will cause more accidents?

Statistically the people driving too slow do. But not slow as per speed limit, but slow relative to the speed on the road that day :)

The people pinned behind slow drivers get upset, and impatient and then take un-necessary risks to pass, even passing on double solid lines.

What is safer, 20 k faster or slower?

I would lay good money on 20k faster being safer :)

Duck Buster 1187
04-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Pop Quiz gang.

Q: What does it say at the top of a speed limit sign?

A: Maximum!

not Minimum, or ish, or kind of.

Take a deep breath, and let it go.

horsetrader
04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Duck Buster 1187;908517]Pop Quiz gang.

MADE IN KOREA....................:)

grind stone
04-16-2011, 04:31 PM
For the love of god! Drove back from Boyle to Morinville around lunch and passed 14 vehicles doing anywhere from 80 to 95kmh. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are. Today they were perfect and people are in dreamland out there, passed one guy doing about 76kmh. Snap out of it, If you look in your rear view and there are twenty cars jammed up behind you, pull over on the shoulder and let people pass! Jeez, lets twin 63 already! lololol thanks .

Harbercraftguy
04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=Duck Buster 1187;908517]Pop Quiz gang.

A: Maximum!

not Minimum, or ish, or kind of.

Take a deep breath, and let it go.[/QUOTE

People whine and complain about the dumbest things.Yes there is a Speed limit and it is posted as a Maximum.Grab a coffee and chill out.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ryry4
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Statistically the people driving too slow do. But not slow as per speed limit, but slow relative to the speed on the road that day :)

The people pinned behind slow drivers get upset, and impatient and then take un-necessary risks to pass, even passing on double solid lines.

X2. Would be nice to see a few tickets handed out for impeding traffic sometimes.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
04-16-2011, 05:03 PM
.....Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are.

So.... you are lying when you say you don't advocate speeding??? when you routinely do so?

Which is SAFER???? Much easier to survive an accident going 80kph than it is at 120kph....

SPEED KILLS!

mulecrazy
04-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Any proof to back up your moronic claim? What a joke!!!!!! What kind of junk statistics do you read? Don't get me wrong, I get peeved at guys doing under the speed limit under good driving conditions as much as anyone. I do not however live under a rock and can realize that it is the speeders which cause more accidents. You claim it is the slow drivers causing the accidents... How is that exactly? It wouldn't be the speeders trying risky passes now would it:thinking-006::snapoutofit:

Ryry4
04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Any proof to back up your moronic claim? What a joke!!!!!! What kind of junk statistics do you read? Don't get me wrong, I get peeved at guys doing under the speed limit under good driving conditions as much as anyone. I do not however live under a rock and can realize that it is the speeders which cause more accidents. You claim it is the slow drivers causing the accidents... How is that exactly? It wouldn't be the speeders trying risky passes now would it:thinking-006::snapoutofit:

Ever do 100 km/h down the highway, come over a hill and almost rear end some one doing 80 km/h or less? I have. I've also see people make risky moves trying to get around people impeding traffic. People going fast have never bothered me. I just let them pass.

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=nanuk-O-dah-Nort;908566]So.... you are lying when you say you don't advocate speeding??? when you routinely do so?

Which is SAFER???? Much easier to survive an accident going 80kph than it is at 120kph....

SPEED KILLS![/QUOT

When did I say I speed? I did'nt, I always do 100kmh, when the spedometer hit 105-110kmh its when I'm passing someone doing 85kmh. I drive the speed limit because I'm responsible. Easy to take things out of context on this forum. Cheers!

mike780
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
For the love of god! Drove back from Boyle to ---->Morinville<---- around lunch and passed 14 vehicles doing anywhere from 80 to 95kmh. Don't get me wrong, I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are. Today they were perfect and people are in dreamland out there, passed one guy doing about 76kmh. Snap out of it, If you look in your rear view and there are twenty cars jammed up behind you, pull over on the shoulder and let people pass! Jeez, lets twin 63 already!

----> Location: Morinville <----

Doesnt this explain it all to you guys??:snapoutofit:

SonnyJ
04-16-2011, 05:39 PM
It's only going to get worse when the campers and motorhomes are out.

Alberta Bigbore
04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/waaambulanceforums.jpg

.:)

deanmc
04-16-2011, 05:45 PM

I would like to see these statistics as well.

So somehow the impatience and risky driving is not the drivers fault?

Are you saying its reasonable to take these risks if you are annoyed by a slower driver? I hope I am misunderstanding you?

Although it would explain my insurance rates if that is truly the way most drivers think.:argue2:

I do agree with the original post that if you want to travel slow then please please pull over when the traffic piles up behind you.

PoppaW
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM
what realy gets me is when you have company trucks going slow you just know those guys are getting payed by the hour and do not want to get back to much before quiting time.

One company up here has GPS's in the trucks. Speed limit -10 in the day and -20 at night. So in the winter most of em drive 58 in an 80 zone.If a deer jumps out and they slam on the brakes they get disciplined too. Get stuck in the mud and have to spin the tires... Bad deal on that too.

Just sayin

airbornedeerhunter
----> Location: Morinville <----

Doesnt this explain it all to you guys??:snapoutofit:

I'm not from Morinville!

kreator
Maybe that person learned a lesson the hard way. That stretch of highway is patrolled like crazy now. There are very regularly 5 cops blitzing the highway between Grassland and Boyle. 2 weeks ago I got pulled over for going 115 km/h. Luckily he let me go.

jungleboy
04-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Once you get on pension and relax you find you never need to go anywhere in a hurry. For some of us 80 is just fine as long as your not holding up traffic.I will move over to let guys by but don't try to hurry me. I find I can spot more game going 80 than I can going 100.

A textbook example of what I deal with everyday on the roads :angry3: People driving around looking at the pretty animals ,yakin on the cell phone ...anything but paying attention to the road. drive the speed limit ,pay attention to your driving and leave the @#$% hunting for the bush:snapoutofit:

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM
A textbook example of what I deal with everyday on the roads :angry3: People driving around looking at the pretty animals ,yakin on the cell phone ...anything but paying attention to the road. drive the speed limit ,pay attention to your driving and leave the @#$% hunting for the bush:snapoutofit:

BOOM!!!! x2

grind stone
04-16-2011, 06:50 PM

It just gets better and better in this thread thanks for the laugh.:):bad_boys_20:

Nomad
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Speed doesn't kill regardless of what we are brainwashed to believe by our governments, police and the AMA. Idiots and innatentive driving does. Here are some interesting stats from other parts of the world where they have raised speed limits with no more accidents and some cases less.

http://autos.aol.com/article/utah-speed-limit-tests/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559084
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa346.pdf
http://www.caradvice.com.au/6756/speed-doesnt-kill-its-official/

mulecrazy
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Ever do 100 km/h down the highway, come over a hill and almost rear end some one doing 80 km/h or less? I have. I've also see people make risky moves trying to get around people impeding traffic. People going fast have never bothered me. I just let them pass.

Nope, never done 100k and almost rear ended someone doing 80. You must not pay attention very well. As far as I am concerned you should be seeing that slower driver and prepare well ahead of time. for petes sake, he is only doing slightly less than you, the rate of closer is not that great:snapoutofit:. The only time it would be an issue is if it is a very steep hill and the driver ahead of you hits the breaks to avoid a deer. You cannot blame the slower driver if people are passing like *******es. I agree, they should pull over, but that doesn't mean they would be at fault. I guarantee that if someone causes a wreck while passing someone doing 80 it would be the fault of the road raging half whit who is making the pass.

wonka
04-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Driving more than 10 under the limit on a dry highway should be ticketed and kicked in the ass. Shake your heads and get the hampsters back on their wheesl, the autobaun is proof that speed doesn't kill, any idea how many MORE people are driving those roads at any given time? It's the sheep that want to herd up and drive in a parade route that cause all kinds of problems. How many of the people whining about speeders are the ones that cause the nightmare on deerfoot? At no time should the left lane (other than if there was a wreck) be driven less than 80, if you can't drive TAKE THE BUS.:argue2: I like to drive 9 over, my choice, my cost, don't like,well you know what you can do. I will be one of those guys out there pulling a big RV, and I'm sure there are a few here that will be the ones that pass me and then slow down because they can't follow a trailer.
It has been said that it is the slower drivers that cause the most issues, and I totally agree (also my choice, you don't like it,....well you know). Any one here have one of those road trips that just goes smooth, everyone is rolling along, doing there thing, spread out and not bunched together following the parade marshal? Wasn't it great? Almost relaxing when you can pass one at a time if you choose, or watch those that want to cruise faster go by you. I would be willing to bet that those that claim to be fine driving @ 90 are the same ones that majically find the gas pedal as soon as a passing lane appears. Ok boys -- whine on

ctd
04-16-2011, 07:31 PM
They do hand out tickets for impeding traffic on a regular basis.
They have handed out tickets for going 100km/hr in a 100km/hr zone because traffic was travelling at 120km/hr and the driver was impeding traffic.

horsetrader
04-16-2011, 07:38 PM
They have handed out tickets for going 100km/hr in a 100km/hr zone because traffic was travelling at 120km/hr and the driver was impeding traffic.

I'd like to see that ticket...

Jimboy
04-16-2011, 07:38 PM

SPEED KILLS , l was driving 55mph on the way home with black ice white ice snow patches the works , cars ,trucks, suvs were passing me like l was standing still , futher on down the road whos in the ditch , the same idiots that passed me doing 110 or 120 k , wasnt my fault , there were 2 lanes , l made it home , they didnt.
We,re only on the planet for awhile , whats the rush , no point on rushing your death , keep your mind on your driving and to hell with it if your late for anything , but your funeral .

Jwood 456
04-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I personally go the speed limit on highways in good condition. On icy roads, I go 10 or 20 under the speed limit especially when I saw two trucks and SUVs rolled upside down in the ditch. It may take a bit longer for me to get to my destination, but at least i'm going at a speed I feel comfortable and safe with. If I drove quicker than speeds I wasn't comfortable with, it just wouldn't be worth the greatly increased risk of my life to save a few minutes IMHO.

4thredneck
04-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Will this make page 3?:snapoutofit:

Bushrat
04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Roads are made for going the speed limit or under. If you wanna speed then you have to accomadate those folks who don't. If you don't like it ....build your own highway. Idiots.

RussellZ
04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
The most dangerous thing I have to contend with on my commute from Fort Mac to Edmonton down 63 is truckers driving 90 km/h or slower between Fort Mac and Grasslands. The prevailing speed on that highway is typically around 120 km/h, which puts them at 30km/h slower than most people. Since those speed limited rigs are usually really large, they are not easy to pass unless you have a very powerful vehicle that can quickly get you out of the line of fire in the oncoming lane. That means that most of the little 4 cylinder vehicles are not gonna attempt a pass and will wait until the next passing lane.

Unfortunately, you eventually wind up with a several km long convoy of people driving bumper to bumper. No one wants to pass because there are too many vehicles ahead to make it past the slow moving truck.

Then you get captain awesome with his Dodge 3500HD dually with a straight piped diesel and a hot temper who whips out and makes crazy unsafe passes to try and get past everyone. He has no problem cutting you off to get back into his lane if there is oncoming traffic, which ain't good cause when dude slams on the brakes to get out captain awesome's way, everyone who is tailgating suddenly has to slam on the brakes too and it generally makes a big mess.

Now, if that semi wasn't driving 90 km/h and was free to travel at the prevailing speed, there would never be a traffic jam to start with, thus totally eliminating all the risky behavior from happening in the first place. Captain awesome would pass each car one at a time at 140 km/h with no trouble, and no one would be at risk. Same goes for someone who is traveling slow on the highway just cause they have some holier than thou art attitude on having no rush to be anywhere, they are creating an un-necessary risk that would otherwise not exist if they kept up with the laminar flow of traffic.

In my humble opinion, I would think that we'd all be better off to eliminate speed limits all together. Sure, you'd get the odd guy flying by, but honestly, who cares? It isn't any skin off your back when he passes you. I would tend to think wost people would travel at a relatively safe 120 - 130 km/h like they do now anyways. Traveling any faster than that really isn't very comfortable, so I can't see many people doing so.

There is plenty of evidence to support that higher, or no speed limits doesn't increase any risk of a collision. Sure, if you do crash the energy potentials are definitely higher, but speed is rarely the cause of most collisions, its people not paying attention to what they are doing (looking for game in the ditches, texting, changing CDs, falling asleep behind the wheel etc)

As said above, pay attention to what you are doing, and keep up with traffic, everyone will have a less stressful drive (both for you being stressed about people pushing you / passing you in a risky manner, and for those that are frustrated with you driving slow and doing the passing), and everyone will get home at the end of the day.

wonka
04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Roads are made for going the speed limit or under. If you wanna speed then you have to accomadate those folks who don't. If you don't like it ....build your own highway. Idiots.

PAY ATTENTION HERE, the discussion wasn't about speeding, it was about impeding traffic, there are signs on the road just for you. SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT, might apply when your at the computer as well

artie
04-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Were you the guy driving that dodge dually blowing black smoke that was more like a fog than an exhaust that blew by me that had the bumper sticker that said "fools rush on where angels fear to tread".

honda450
04-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Hehehe ya never been in my company truck. :sHa_shakeshout: They are specially built and go faster in all gears.

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
PAY ATTENTION HERE, the discussion wasn't about speeding, it was about impeding traffic, there are signs on the road just for you. SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT, might apply when your at the computer as well

x2

mulecrazy
04-16-2011, 08:46 PM

you might want to pay attention to road signs. Only on passing lanes does it say slower traffic keep right. It does not say that on two lane roads, thus it is not a law. I do however feel that you should only drive in the left hand lane if you are passing someone. You may also want to learn the traffic laws. It is illegal for someone to pull onto the shoulder of a 1 lane hiway to allow someone to pass. The shoulder lane is for EMERGENCY ONLY, you can be ticketed for driving there.

On another note, when I am on the QEII doing 120 or so and I pull into the left hand lane to pass someone, I don't give a rip that some douchebag "captain awesome" wants to drive 140 and thus feels a need to get right on my ass. I will pull back into the right hand lane when it is safe so just take a deep breath and god forbid go 20k slower for 45 seconds.

wonka
04-16-2011, 08:53 PM
you might want to pay attention to road signs. Only on passing lanes does it say slower traffic keep right. It does not say that on two lane roads, thus it is not a law. I do however feel that you should only drive in the left hand lane if you are passing someone. You may also want to learn the traffic laws. It is illegal for someone to pull onto the shoulder of a 1 lane hiway to allow someone to pass. The shoulder lane is for EMERGENCY ONLY, you can be ticketed for driving there.

On another note, when I am on the QEII doing 120 or so and I pull into the left hand lane to pass someone, I don't give a rip that some douchebag "captain awesome" wants to drive 140 and thus feels a need to get right on my ass. I will pull back into the right hand lane when it is safe so just take a deep breath and god forbid go 20k slower for 45 seconds.

Yea, cause it would make sense to drive in the left lane on a two lane ??? Amazing that I need to pay attention, or need a sign telling me to stay out of the oncoming traffic lane. Oh and I'm pretty sure IT IS the law to stay in the right hand lane on a two lane..... unless of course you are driving across the pond:snapoutofit:

mulecrazy
04-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Yea, cause it would make sense to drive in the left lane on a two lane ??? Amazing that I need to pay attention, or need a sign telling me to stay out of the oncoming traffic lane. Oh and I'm pretty sure IT IS the law to stay in the right hand lane on a two lane..... unless of course you are driving across the pond:snapoutofit:

Thou shalt not drink while typing..... Are you friggen insane. Your reading comprehension is not up to snuff here. If you would actually read what I wrote you will see that I am reffering to a split hiway when I say a 2 lane, thus me including a description of a 1 lane in my explanation as well. Some call it a 4 lane and a 2 lane, some not. So instead of trying to think up clever comebacks you may want to actually read and re read my post. holy sweet jeebus.

FCLightning
04-16-2011, 09:36 PM

I would bet money that didn't happen. If he got a ticket it wasn't for going the speed limit.

FCLightning
04-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Ever do 100 km/h down the highway, come over a hill and almost rear end some one doing 80 km/h or less? I have.

That must have been some crazy steep hill - and you didn't notice you were gaining on them on the upside? I mean, you must have been awful close to almost rear end them with a 20 k difference.

TreeGuy
04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
The most dangerous thing I have to contend with on my commute from Fort Mac to Edmonton down 63 is truckers driving 90 km/h or slower between Fort Mac and Grasslands. The prevailing speed on that highway is typically around 120 km/h, which puts them at 30km/h slower than most people. Since those speed limited rigs are usually really large, they are not easy to pass unless you have a very powerful vehicle that can quickly get you out of the line of fire in the oncoming lane. That means that most of the little 4 cylinder vehicles are not gonna attempt a pass and will wait until the next passing lane.

Unfortunately, you eventually wind up with a several km long convoy of people driving bumper to bumper. No one wants to pass because there are too many vehicles ahead to make it past the slow moving truck.

Then you get captain awesome with his Dodge 3500HD dually with a straight piped diesel and a hot temper who whips out and makes crazy unsafe passes to try and get past everyone. He has no problem cutting you off to get back into his lane if there is oncoming traffic, which ain't good cause when dude slams on the brakes to get out captain awesome's way, everyone who is tailgating suddenly has to slam on the brakes too and it generally makes a big mess.

Now, if that semi wasn't driving 90 km/h and was free to travel at the prevailing speed, there would never be a traffic jam to start with, thus totally eliminating all the risky behavior from happening in the first place. Captain awesome would pass each car one at a time at 140 km/h with no trouble, and no one would be at risk. Same goes for someone who is traveling slow on the highway just cause they have some holier than thou art attitude on having no rush to be anywhere, they are creating an un-necessary risk that would otherwise not exist if they kept up with the laminar flow of traffic.

In my humble opinion, I would think that we'd all be better off to eliminate speed limits all together. Sure, you'd get the odd guy flying by, but honestly, who cares? It isn't any skin off your back when he passes you. I would tend to think wost people would travel at a relatively safe 120 - 130 km/h like they do now anyways. Traveling any faster than that really isn't very comfortable, so I can't see many people doing so.

There is plenty of evidence to support that higher, or no speed limits doesn't increase any risk of a collision. Sure, if you do crash the energy potentials are definitely higher, but speed is rarely the cause of most collisions, its people not paying attention to what they are doing (looking for game in the ditches, texting, changing CDs, falling asleep behind the wheel etc)

As said above, pay attention to what you are doing, and keep up with traffic, everyone will have a less stressful drive (both for you being stressed about people pushing you / passing you in a risky manner, and for those that are frustrated with you driving slow and doing the passing), and everyone will get home at the end of the day.

Fantastic post Russ, and welcome to the board. :wave:

Outside of residential areas, there really should be no speed limits. Enforcement should be based upon punishing those who are operating outside of the natural flow of traffic.....be it speeding excessively or going too slow.

Anyone else notice that the more rules (laws) we bring in, the dumber the general populace gets?

jungleboy
04-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Were you the guy driving that dodge dually blowing black smoke that was more like a fog than an exhaust that blew by me that had the bumper sticker that said "fools rush on where angels fear to tread".

No actually I drive a Toyota car for about 80000km a yr and and I routinely get stuck behind the sky gazers going 20 or 30 under and get pushed around by the punks in the jacked up diesels doing 30 or 40 km over with their high beams and fog lights on at all times. But my absolute favorite is when there are two of the 20km under the limit wonders trying to pass one another as the chat away on the phone to their grand kids....That...is the best.:love0025:

jungleboy
04-16-2011, 09:50 PM

Bwahahahahahahahha

I have some Ocean front property I'd like to show you , near Edmonton:)

wonka
04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Thou shalt not drink while typing..... Are you friggen insane. Your reading comprehension is not up to snuff here. If you would actually read what I wrote you will see that I am reffering to a split hiway when I say a 2 lane, thus me including a description of a 1 lane in my explanation as well. Some call it a 4 lane and a 2 lane, some not. So instead of trying to think up clever comebacks you may want to actually read and re read my post. holy sweet jeebus.

Jeopardy called, you didn't make it. Divided highway IS four lanes, two lanes equals two way traffic, single lane, who knows, but evidently it has the same rules as a two lane as you can't drive the shoulder. Reading comprehension requires you to take the literal meaning, not one that is inferred.
You will find the slower traffic keep right sign posted just after almost every major intersection of Hwy 3 (at least the four lane sections, and at the passing lane sections of the two lane), as well as Hwy 2, from Hwy 3 to Calgary. Bottom line, I'll drive the way and speed I want, you'll never find ME holding up traffic, pulling the 16000 # RV, or bone empty. 25 years ago (not anymore), most states had a law about using the left lane only for passing ( on a FOUR lane, just so we're straight here), and handed out a heavier fine for running that lane than for doing 15 over. Wished then as I do now that Alberta would adopt that rule. I'll take 100 guys driving 120 over one idiot doing 80 any day of the week (clear driving conditions mind you, just so we're clear) Reread this is you must, there is some literal as well as inferred information here.

mulecrazy
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Jeopardy called, you didn't make it. Divided highway IS four lanes, two lanes equals two way traffic, single lane, who knows, but evidently it has the same rules as a two lane as you can't drive the shoulder. Reading comprehension requires you to take the literal meaning, not one that is inferred.
You will find the slower traffic keep right sign posted just after almost every major intersection of Hwy 3 (at least the four lane sections, and at the passing lane sections of the two lane), as well as Hwy 2, from Hwy 3 to Calgary. Bottom line, I'll drive the way and speed I want, you'll never find ME holding up traffic, pulling the 16000 # RV, or bone empty. 25 years ago (not anymore), most states had a law about using the left lane only for passing ( on a FOUR lane, just so we're straight here), and handed out a heavier fine for running that lane than for doing 15 over. Wished then as I do now that Alberta would adopt that rule. I'll take 100 guys driving 120 over one idiot doing 80 any day of the week (clear driving conditions mind you, just so we're clear) Reread this is you must, there is some literal as well as inferred information here.

LOL. Actually reading comprehension is all about understanding the message that the person was conveying. since I said in my OP both 2 and 1 lane hiways, I figured anyone with any sort of comprehension skills would figure it out from there. Unless there are some hiways out there that only go one direction:thinking-006: and I am not aware of them....

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 10:22 PM

I almost spit my cheerios all over my laptop when I read this! A ticket for obeying the posted limit? Which alternate universe does this occur in?

Cattle Dog
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I like driving 80 kph; if something comes up, it gives me time to react.

And i like looking at the countryside; can't do that at 100 kph.

If you are going 115 in a 100 zone, then that is speeding.

airbornedeerhunter
04-16-2011, 10:51 PM

I'm sure if you poll those of us stuck behind you, unable to pass because of steady traffic in the opposite direction you'll find that you're out to lunch on this. Doing 80 in a 100 is not only inconsiderate and idiotic it is dangerous. Good drivers will wait for a safe opportunity to pass, but some out there could'nt drive a sharp stick up a dead dogs backside and will pass when they should'nt and potentially cause a head on or run someone else off the road. if you want to look at the countryside, ride as a passenger. Your eyes should be on the road, not the scenery.

Bushrat
04-16-2011, 10:53 PM

Dude, going 20 under is not considered impeding traffic unless a minimum speed is posted. Don't worry I spend my driving time in the slow lane going the speed limit or just under watching the cowboys pass me only to pull up beside them at the next light. What do you gain by leadfooting it except more wear and tear and burn more fuel. You guys are way too caught up in the rat race, going fast gettin nowhere. When I come up behind someone going 20 under, so what, it aint the end of the world, i can pass them on the next passing lane or when it's safe to mosey on by them. I don't tailgate and ride their bumper and get grandma all nervous and rattled, shes obviously nervous to begin with. I don't have a tantrum and start whining. If sh*t like that sets you off then maybe you need to see somebody.

Got Juice?
04-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Sure , Watch the news and see all the multi vehicle accidents on the road and MUTLIPLE FATALITIES arising from such accidents.

Watch who you call moron. Someone might mistake you for an idiot.

Got Juice?
04-16-2011, 11:08 PM

Exactly.

jungleboy
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM
the drivers going along at 20 under are never at fault in an accident , they are rarely ever aware of what is going on around them ,let alone behind them , The accident occurs behind them as they go along blissfully unaware. chattering away or texting ....tralalalala

Got Juice?
04-16-2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.sense.bc.ca/research.htm

This graph shows that crash risk is minimized for those drivers travelling 10-15 km/h over the average speed. (Average speeds in BC are almost always over posted speeds.) Contrary to popular belief, there are more crashes at slower speeds than at faster speeds.
Raw speed and crash risk are not directly related, however, there is a U-shaped relationship which shows few fast drivers involved in crashes, and many more slow drivers involved in crashes.1

Example Cited :)

SonnyJ
04-16-2011, 11:29 PM

Please stay off #63 between Fort Mac and Grassland on shift change day lol..

artie
04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I remember getting my last speeding ticket down in Montana. The sheriff said 'son we don't do that in the United States of America. You will follow me to the police station and you will pay your fine in cash before you are allowed to leave". I got his message.

eastcoast
04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
I guess you can add driving to politics,religion,gun bans to the forum no go list.

for the record if the roads are good and dry and you can not drive the speed limit maybe your reaction time and eye sight aren't good enough to drive anymore, have someone else drive you or take a less traffic way to get where you are going,in my many years of driving I have found that most people who do significantly under the speed limit find the accelerator when they get to a passing lane which leads me to believe that they are driving slow on purpose to **** others off, and eventhough they are going slow they don't want people to pass them,when I am out on the highway and I see a purple tag on the license plate I immediately get away from them by passing or hanging back.

Got Juice?
04-16-2011, 11:35 PM

trouble with this theory is that the 20 vehicles' drivers behind you are getting a little anxious to pass.
As such they might start taking risks to get by you, and garanteed the drivers are not maintaining a safe distance behind you VS the speed you are going.

in essence, if you apply the brakes or hit an animal, 2 people behind you that react in .3 seconds will stop in time to avoid a collision. The other 17 will not be so lucky.

And there we have the crux of the matter. a 21 car pileup in the making.

Just an observation that I have seen happen on the road more often than a fatality involving 2 vehicles

deanmc
04-16-2011, 11:48 PM

I will have to see that to believe it.:thinking-006:

horsetrader
04-16-2011, 11:50 PM
LOL. Actually reading comprehension is all about understanding the message that the person was conveying. since I said in my OP both 2 and 1 lane hiways, I figured anyone with any sort of comprehension skills would figure it out from there. Unless there are some hiways out there that only go one direction:thinking-006: and I am not aware of them....

try this...two-lane highway definition
two-lane highway - definition of two-lane highway from GlossaryOfTravel.com: a road in two parts, with a barrier between them, Examples The traffic on the ...
www.glossaryoftravel.com/definition/two-lane-highway.html - Cached - Similar

1100 mag
04-16-2011, 11:54 PM
i agree with big bore, but the people who cause the accidents aren't thinking about, whats around the next corner or over the next hill! and some drivers have **** pour judgement on how much time they have to pass before the next corner or hill. people dont pay attention on the highways anymore!
but i do agree if a person is driving 15km under limit they should pull to the right when it is safe for the person behind them to pass,sometimes the slow guy in front won't pull over because he or she my she may see something the tailgater does not.

10 min longer in car or 2 months in hospital, if one is lucky

(sorry about some of the spelling)

mulecrazy
04-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Sure , Watch the news and see all the multi vehicle accidents on the road and MUTLIPLE FATALITIES arising from such accidents.

Watch who you call moron. Someone might mistake you for an idiot.

Yeah, I watch the news often. The term "speed was believed to be a factor" is said a lot during these stories. IE) the dummy was speeding. I have never ever heard a news story claim that a guy doing 90 in a 100 zone killed a bunch of people or himself. I do here the news stories where a guy pulls a risky pass on ice and causes a multi vehicle accident. Oh and your junk stats sure looked official:thinking-006::snapoutofit:. you do realize that is just some BS organization that is against speeding and photo radar tickets. They will post just about anything.

deanmc
04-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Accidents rates and cause are manipulated so much by different groups that none of us know the truth.

If a guy that has worked 20 hours and had 2 beers is going ten klicks over the speed limit and crosses the centerline and hits an elderly driver coming home from a funeral what was the cause???
Different groups will use it to support their agendas
Some say it was the beers
Some say it was fatigue
Some say it was the speed
Some say elderly people should not drive
Some say it was cause stress from the funeral

If you add all the people killed in statistics we should have all been dead years ago.

I believe that if I am involved in a collision at 80 km/hr I will be in better condition than the guy that is involved in one at 120 km/hr. Maybe I am silly but take those speeds and throw a 1000 lb moose 5 metres in front of their vehicles. Wonder how it will turn out.

If speeders are crashing into the rear of slower vehicles then they are going too fast. "Momma says stupid is is stupid does"

Got Juice?
04-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I watch the news often. The term "speed was believed to be a factor" is said a lot during these stories. IE) the dummy was speeding. I have never ever heard a news story claim that a guy doing 90 in a 100 zone killed a bunch of people or himself. I do here the news stories where a guy pulls a risky pass on ice and causes a multi vehicle accident. Oh and your junk stats sure looked official:thinking-006::snapoutofit:. you do realize that is just some BS organization that is against speeding and photo radar tickets. They will post just about anything.

mulecrazy, just out of curiosity, are you voting liberal? Sounds like you want all vehicles governed to 100 km/h

What's next, banning something else you don't like?

'Speed was a factor' is a catch-all. Too much or too little speed. Either way, dead is awfully damned final.

As far as the stats go, at least I got off my arse and supported my statement. However,since it obviously goes against what you feel is right, you call the stats provided BS. Sounds a lot like the attitude of the gun grabbing liberal crowd these days as their whole mentality (and yours by the sounds of it) is based on fear mongering over fact.

HunterDave
04-17-2011, 12:27 AM

X3 or X4 or whatever it's at now plus X3 or X4 on what RussellZ said too! :happy0034:

People that drive too slow and impede traffic are a huge hazard and are a big reason for allot of accidents. Just ask the emergency responders along the Edmonton-Fort Mac 2 lane highway route. Yeah, slow drivers might arrive safely at their destination and enjoy some wonderful scenery along the way but they also might get someone killed along the way too. If you want to take a nice relaxing Sunday drive, stick to the backroads where you won't cause any problems.

HunterDave
04-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I do here the news stories where a guy pulls a risky pass on ice and causes a multi vehicle accident.

It was the guy driving too slow that forced the driver to pass that caused the multi vehicle accident............Don't you see???? :confused:

deanmc
04-17-2011, 12:37 AM
It was the guy driving too slow that forced the driver to pass that caused the multi vehicle accident............Don't you see???? :confused:

No he does not.:angry3:

Got Juice?
04-17-2011, 12:43 AM

Dave, it's like the kittens' joke (eyes wide shut=liberal , eyes wide open= conservative) . They won't see the problem because they can't bear the thought of looking at the issue from another point of view
(other than their own) and coming to a logical conclusion detached from emotional baggage or bias.

HunterDave
04-17-2011, 12:48 AM
No he does not.:angry3:

Well then why would someone have to pass the person in the first place if the guy wasn't driving too slow????

deanmc
04-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Well then why would someone have to pass the person in the first place if the guy wasn't driving too slow????

Maybe i missed your point. I blame the speeder not the slower driver.

HunterDave
04-17-2011, 01:14 AM
No I agree with you. He doesnt get your point. I do. lol

Bedtime.......I don't know what's going on anymore. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

KegRiver
04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Sighhhhhh, here we go again.

No wonder we are called Red Necks.

Does it matter who caused the accident when you are dead?

Slow down and live.

Yeah slow poke drivers can be frustrating, if I allow myself to think that they are deliberately trying to annoy me. When I think to myself that they might be slowing down so they can turn off the highway, or perhaps they are going slow for some other legitimate reason. Then I don't get frustrated.

Several years ago a co-worker encountered a fellow who crossed partially into the oncoming lane, into my co-workers path.
This co-worker would side with the "lets drive the slow folks off the highway crowd". So he bared his teeth and refused to move until the last possible second. They hit just brushing the sides of the vehicles, but enough to send both vehicles into opposite ditches.
My co-worker was banged up but not too bad, the other fellow was found dead at the scene, but also showed only minor injuries.
An autopsy found that he was dead before the two vehicles hit. He had died of a heart attack some minutes before the two vehicles met.

My co-worker risked his life rather then give way to a dead man. He had the right of way and he was almost dead right.

How about you. You want to be dead right ?

Fact is you don't know why that person is going slower then the posted limit. There could be a good reason.

Is there any reason we can't SHARE the roads ? I pay taxes on those roads the same as you do. Are your rights more important them mine because you are in a hurry ?

Think before you speak my friend. You might get what you wish for.

The day might come when only the fastest drivers will be allowed on the highways. Where will you be then. Old and gray like me. And even though you may be quiet capable of driving safely at 100km, they will take away your drivers license because you can't drive FAST anymore.

ctd
04-17-2011, 01:30 AM
Tailigaiting is the leading cause of accidents.

mulecrazy
04-17-2011, 01:48 AM
mulecrazy, just out of curiosity, are you voting liberal? Sounds like you want all vehicles governed to 100 km/h

What's next, banning something else you don't like?

'Speed was a factor' is a catch-all. Too much or too little speed. Either way, dead is awfully damned final.

As far as the stats go, at least I got off my arse and supported my statement. However,since it obviously goes against what you feel is right, you call the stats provided BS. Sounds a lot like the attitude of the gun grabbing liberal crowd these days as their whole mentality (and yours by the sounds of it) is based on fear mongering over fact.

LOL. Gotta love on this board how anytime anyone disagrees with someone they get called a Liberal.... ROFLMAO. nope dude, conservative to the core. so you just failed to read all my posts. In there I have stated that I am not an advocate for driving right on the speed limit. If the SL is 100 I usually do 108-110. if the SL is 110 I will do around 120. I do not however live in a fog and can realize that speed can be a major PREVENTABLE cause in fatal accidents. Have you ever taken a diffensive driving course? I have. If you payed attention your instructor may have given you a piece of info. Breaking distance vs speed change is not linear it is exponential. I can't remember exact numbers but for every extra 10k over the limit the number of feet it takes to stop goes up dramatically. Your breaks will slow you down at a great pace once your speed is lower. Have you ever hit the breaks really hard? Notice how right near the end of your breaking you have more forward force on the seatbelt. It was actually kind of a neat way to show their explanation of it. your rate of speed decrease increases right until you stop. I think they said that a person driving 120k will take roughly 50 feet longer to stop than someone doing 100k. That can make a huge difference in a close call. Now you may try to attack me in the fact that I do 120 on the faster hiways. I do this to try and keep up to the flow and make the drive easier and safer for myself. I know that if I drive 100 some ******* is likely to get frustrated and he will cause an accident. Unlike you I do not put the blame on the slower driver. As long as he is within the law and driving safely then he is not too blame.

deanmc
04-17-2011, 02:02 AM
LOL. Gotta love on this board how anytime anyone disagrees with someone they get called a Liberal.... ROFLMAO. nope dude, conservative to the core. so you just failed to read all my posts. In there I have stated that I am not an advocate for driving right on the speed limit. If the SL is 100 I usually do 108-110. if the SL is 110 I will do around 120. I do not however live in a fog and can realize that speed can be a major PREVENTABLE cause in fatal accidents. Have you ever taken a diffensive driving course? I have. If you payed attention your instructor may have given you a piece of info. Breaking distance vs speed change is not linear it is exponential. I can't remember exact numbers but for every extra 10k over the limit the number of feet it takes to stop goes up dramatically. Your breaks will slow you down at a great pace once your speed is lower. Have you ever hit the breaks really hard? Notice how right near the end of your breaking you have more forward force on the seatbelt. It was actually kind of a neat way to show their explanation of it. your rate of speed decrease increases right until you stop. I think they said that a person driving 120k will take roughly 50 feet longer to stop than someone doing 100k. That can make a huge difference in a close call. Now you may try to attack me in the fact that I do 120 on the faster hiways. I do this to try and keep up to the flow and make the drive easier and safer for myself. I know that if I drive 100 some ******* is likely to get frustrated and he will cause an accident. Unlike you I do not put the blame on the slower driver. As long as he is within the law and driving safely then he is not too blame.

Lol Didnt you hear? Only conservatives speed and you dont even want to hear about dem NDP'ers.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Got Juice?
04-17-2011, 02:03 AM

Good backtracking. And I know all about speed and braking thanks. I dragrace bikes, trucks, cars etc. (I never have broken 150MPH in the 1/4 because I hate packing a parachute back up) so your lecture of speed and seatbelts, is at best a laughable comparison to use on me. Even 5-point belts get loose on acceleration, and can't get tight enough on the decel's with a set of Wilwood outlaw 6 pot's up front.
On edit: I have been much faster in the 1/4 but that was as a screaming passenger in a 10 second ride. And yes the parachute was used:sHa_shakeshout: (and not to wipe my underwear with after the ride was over either.. but it was close)

And it's actually a quadrupled ratio for braking. It takes 4 times the distance for every increment of doubled speed.

Defensive driving is all well and good. Excessive speed is as bad as excessively slow speed.

If people are going to drive that slow they should either pull over, or drive with their 4 way flashers on, or possibly hire out a pace vehicle with flashing lights and a 'slow vehicle' placard placed on it.

Spin all you want. Too slow is more dangerous to people than too fast when 85-90% of the flow of traffic is trying to maintain 100 km/h

Got Juice?
04-17-2011, 02:05 AM
lol didnt you hear? Only conservatives speed and you dont even want to hear about dem ndp'ers.:sha_sarcasticlol:

lmao!!!!

mulecrazy
04-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Good backtracking. And I know all about speed and braking thanks. I dragrace bikes, trucks, cars etc. (I never have broken 150MPH in the 1/4 because I hate packing a parachute back up) so your lecture of speed and seatbelts, is at best a laughable comparison to use on me. Even 5-point belts get loose on acceleration, and can't get tight enough on the decel's with a set of Wilwood outlaw 6 pot's up front.
On edit: I have been much faster in the 1/4 but that was as a screaming passenger in a 10 second ride. And yes the parachute was used:sHa_shakeshout: (and not to wipe my underwear with after the ride was over either.. but it was close)

And it's actually a quadrupled ratio for braking. It takes 4 times the distance for every increment of doubled speed.

Defensive driving is all well and good. Excessive speed is as bad as excessively slow speed.

If people are going to drive that slow they should either pull over, or drive with their 4 way flashers on, or possibly hire out a pace vehicle with flashing lights and a 'slow vehicle' placard placed on it.

Spin all you want. Too slow is more dangerous to people than too fast when 85-90% of the flow of traffic is trying to maintain 100 km/h

crap, I typed up a huge response to this and my cpu froze and lost it all. It is too late to continue this garbage. You seem like quite the speed freak with your racing and that says it all...... I will leave it at that, have a great night.

mulecrazy
04-17-2011, 02:44 AM
lol didnt you hear? Only conservatives speed and you dont even want to hear about dem ndp'ers.:sha_sarcasticlol:

lol.

Got Juice?
04-17-2011, 08:28 AM
crap, I typed up a huge response to this and my cpu froze and lost it all. It is too late to continue this garbage. You seem like quite the speed freak with your racing and that says it all...... I will leave it at that, have a great night.

I am a speed freak. But before you jump to the conclusion that I drive that way on the public road, give your head a shake, and notice that I satisfy that need on a RACETRACK!

Perhaps we should add that to your ban list too eh?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

4thredneck
04-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Lets get 150000 pound super b's going 140 just to stay with the flow of traffic there shouldn't be any carnage then, this thread is getting stupid as all threads about speed do. I have to go out and poach a deer now, off the road and out the window of the truck with a 22 magnum.

doetracks
04-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Interesting comments on here, and though I've wanted to chime in, I don't want to get flamed :scared0018:

I don't see "80 in a 100" being too slow?? 60, yes. But 80? I guess if you're doing 120 and come up on the person doing 80, then it's quite a drop.

I'll be the one going the speed limit, not over. I can't afford (nor do I want) a speeding ticket. If I'm going slower than that, there's a damn good reason in my mind for doing so.

KegRiver
04-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Lets get 150000 pound super b's going 140 just to stay with the flow of traffic there shouldn't be any carnage then, this thread is getting stupid as all threads about speed do. I have to go out and poach a deer now, off the road and out the window of the truck with a 22 magnum.

Aww geez redneck, youall don't be bringing non of that there common sense to dis hea argument.

LOL Yeah it went way past silly some time ago. Right after the first letter of the first post in fact.

How anyone can conclude that slow driving is the cause behind speeding and passing when unsafe is simply beyond comprehension.

I guess those drivers must crash and burn every time they come to a construction zone, road blockage, or train crossing.

How could they possibly survive that sort of slowdown?

airbornedeerhunter
04-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Interesting comments on here, and though I've wanted to chime in, I don't want to get flamed :scared0018:

I don't see "80 in a 100" being too slow?? 60, yes. But 80? I guess if you're doing 120 and come up on the person doing 80, then it's quite a drop.

I'll be the one going the speed limit, not over. I can't afford (nor do I want) a speeding ticket. If I'm going slower than that, there's a damn good reason in my mind for doing so.

Then you are part of the problem, 80 in a 100 is way too slow, 60 is downright dangerous. Keep it at 100 and you'll be fine unless the roads are like a curling rink during a blizzard then you are forgiven for driving a little slower and thus defensively. But 80 in a 100 on a clear fine day on Albertas long mostly straight highways with a clear line of sight?? I think not.

4thredneck
04-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Aww geez redneck, youall don't be bringing non of that there common sense to dis hea argument.

LOL Yeah it went way past silly some time ago. Right after the first letter of the first post in fact.

How anyone can conclude that slow driving is the cause behind speeding and passing when unsafe is simply beyond comprehension.

I guess those drivers must crash and burn every time they come to a construction zone, road blockage, or train crossing.

How could they possibly survive that sort of slowdown?

I pulled supers all over western Canada(over a million Km's) and not once did I think jeez I really wish I could go 140km. 110km on hiway 16 or 11 in Sask. can get hairy. I know this thread started out with slow drivers but 80 really isn't that slow if your doing THE SPEED LIMIT!

Iron Brew
04-17-2011, 09:39 AM
To me, much worse than too slow is the people who come off an acceleration lane at 75 or 80 kph onto the yellowhead. Really, really unsafe. I'd like to see the police hammer that.

Was in Ontario a while back. All tractors governed to theoretically the same speed. They would block traffic for many km as they tried to pass one another. Really hope they either don't bring that law here or add a no passing/blocking law. Very frustrating especially since their governed speed was lower than light traffic speed limit.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
04-17-2011, 10:01 AM
When did I say I speed? I did'nt, I always do 100kmh, when the spedometer hit 105-110kmh its when I'm passing someone doing 85kmh. I drive the speed limit because I'm responsible. Easy to take things out of context on this forum. Cheers!

Sorry about that... I guess it was your comment: "I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are." that made me think you speed....

if you have to exceed the limit to pass, you don't need to pass.. simple as that to me!

and if one has to brake hard to avoid someone driving slow, then again, going to fast!

I personally would like to see a "Zero Tolerance Policy" on highway speeds. It would save lives.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
04-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Your logic is SO FLAWED.... no wonder we have such youth crime when their role models are so messed up with our laws....

wow.

doetracks
04-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Then you are part of the problem, 80 in a 100 is way too slow, 60 is downright dangerous. Keep it at 100 and you'll be fine unless ...

Well, like I said - I'll be doing the speed limit. If I'm slower, there's a damn good reason for it :)

KegRiver
04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I too have pulled a lot of big loads down those highways. 100km was plenty fast for my liking.

Now I drive snowplow. I am not supposed to exceed 60km with that truck when plowing or sanding. I have spent thousands of hours grinding along at 50 to 60 km on the 160km stretch of highway we maintain. I've been doing this job, in this district for over ten years now.
Over all those years and all those miles I have not been involved in even one accident. Two vehicles have hit the ditch beside me over that time. one because he had to slam on the breaks because he tried to pass when unsafe and the roads were very slippery that day.
The second vehicle spun out on ice trying to accelerate too fast on icy roads, again to pass me.

Understand this is not dry straight flat roadways we are talking about here.
This is hilly crooked often ice covered roads I am dealing with, and often at night.

So if 20 km under the posted limit is so dangerous on straight flat dry roads in broad daylight, how is it that I get away with travelling 40 to 50 km under the posted limits, very often under the worst possible conditions, year after year, without killing several people a year.
And why aren't people, a lot of people, demanding that all snowplows be banned from the highways or at least forced by law to plow and sand at no less then 130 km, to match the speed of the majority?

Man that would be interesting. 120 with a snowplow !!! We snap off sign posts with our snow plumes at 60km, I wonder what carnage we could leave in our wake if we did 120km.
And sanding, well that would become totally impossible. We could kill people with just a handful of sand.

mulecrazy
04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
I am a speed freak. But before you jump to the conclusion that I drive that way on the public road, give your head a shake, and notice that I satisfy that need on a RACETRACK!

Perhaps we should add that to your ban list too eh?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

where have a said anything about banning. you are jumping to conclusions and attempting to put words in my mouth. Not sure what your deal is really, I enjoy drag racing and used to go out at med hat when I lived there.... All I have said, is that I agree that increased speed kills not decreased. With increased stopping distance and increased trauma to the body, anyone who disagrees is smoking something I aint. How can you dispute those increases?

elkhunter11
04-17-2011, 04:29 PM

If you were watching the traffic instead of the country side, you would have time to react if something came up. Distracted drivers doing 80kph are far more dangerous than the person paying attention to the traffic,and driving with the flow of traffic at 110kph.

Jwood 456
04-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I guess you can add driving to politics,religion,gun bans to the forum no go list.

in my many years of driving I have found that most people who do significantly under the speed limit find the accelerator when they get to a passing lane which leads me to believe that they are driving slow on purpose to **** others off, and eventhough they are going slow they don't want people to pass them,when I am out on the highway and I see a purple tag on the license plate I immediately get away from them by passing or hanging back.

I find that some people will speed up on me as well while passing them. I find that when I'm trying to pass some people going 80 on the highway, I will be passing them at the speed limit then they will speed up on me and not let me pass. With some people I think it may be to tick off others though, I think sometimes its subconcious. I have caught myself doing that a few times while I was just minding my own business and looking strait ahead. I would be going the speed limit then I would see myself going over the speed limit while the other people were trying to pass me. When I realized what I was doing, I backed off of the accelerator right away to let the other people pass.

elkhunter11
04-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Sorry about that... I guess it was your comment: "I do not advocate speeding, I never do more than 105-110kmh, regardless of how good the road condition are." that made me think you speed....

Surely you must be aware that there are highways in Alberta that have zones with a speed limit of 110km/hr.

dumoulin
04-17-2011, 05:01 PM
As far as accidents and near misses, I think 20kn under the speed limit is worse than 20 over the limit. That said, I think one may be more likely to survie a crash the slower you drove. Then again, it doesn't matter matter if you drive 80km/h because the persone who will smash into you will likely be doing 120km/h. 98km/h is the perfect speed....great on fuel mileage, enjoy the sights and you don't p*ss anyone off.

Jwood 456
04-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I remeber one time, my Dad was pulling this 30ft camper trailer going the speed limit of 110km/h. We had this guy that wizzed by us pulling the same size of trailer. Right away, we pass a gas station while seeing the speeder stopped filling up at the gas station. Later the same guy wizzes right by us. Sure enough, we see him at the next gas station filling up again as we drive by. About an hour and a half into driving finally we had to fill up. It turned out the guy that kept on wizzing by us, was camping at the same campground and got there at the same time as us. The guy speeding, just wound up spending more on fuel.

TreeGuy
04-17-2011, 05:40 PM
This pathetic conversation is a perfect example of how we ended up with a stupid gun registry. Some of you guys should really take a damn hard look in the mirror and ask yourselves, "Am I a hypocrite?".

blackpheasant
04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Your logic is SO FLAWED.... no wonder we have such youth crime when their role models are so messed up with our laws....

wow.

According to who ?

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
04-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Surely you must be aware that there are highways in Alberta that have zones with a speed limit of 110km/hr.

ok... but is the route discussed 100 or 110?

the discussion was about a 100kph max

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
04-17-2011, 06:18 PM
According to who ?

Laws are laws and we should obey them. That is why they are LAWS

you don't like them lobby your legislature to Change them!

Speeding is NOT Civil Disobedience, it is a Danger to others on the Road and in YOUR own Vehicle.

you want to kill yourself, fill yer boots, that is your choice.

BUT don't you dare endanger others cause you can't do MATH or think you are so important that the Rules don't apply to YOU.

Kids watch and the LEARN.

that is why kids steal.
that is why kids need to wear hockey masks.
that is why kids vandalize.
that is why kids assault other kids.

because Society, and Adults around them have Taught them by their actions that the rules don't apply to them cause they are above the laws!

blackpheasant
04-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Speeding is NOT Civil Disobedience, it is a Danger to others on the Road and in YOUR own Vehicle.

BUT don't you dare endanger others cause you can't do MATH or think you are so important that the Rules don't apply to YOU.

Kids watch and the LEARN.

that is why kids steal.
that is why kids need to wear hockey masks.
that is why kids vandalize.
that is why kids assault other kids.

because Society, and Adults around them have Taught them by their actions that the rules don't apply to them cause they are above the laws!

Me BAD....I speed from time to time yup, I have even bent a few rules in my day...I have broken the law before, yes I have, If that makes me a bad person in your books well whatever we all can't be saints...Cheers...:)

elkhunter11
04-17-2011, 06:45 PM

So according to your logic, if I normally drive 110km/hr in a 100km/hr zone, I am driving dangerously, and risking your life, because I am exceeding the posted speed limit. Now supposedly, the speed limit is changed to 110km/ hr, and I continue to drive 110km/hr on that same stretch of highway. Am I suddenly no longer driving dangerously, and risking your life? Am I driving safer now just because I am not exceeding the posted speed limit, even though I am driving the exact same speed, on the exact same stretch of highway?

Lefty-Canuck
04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
the autobaun is proof that speed doesn't kill,

No but it is proof that speed does kill more effciently....also the autobaun does have regions with speed limits for those who have never been on it. Just certain stretches don't.

Lefty

nicholal
04-17-2011, 07:26 PM
With all the Head on crashes and cars hitting moose and deer on hiway 63 20km's/hr slower is a small cost to pay to arrive alive back home to MY family!!!!!! I hope it is for you as well!

I live here and drive 55/63 regularly. Even driving at max sped (100kms) you have drivers passing you like you are standing still.

Slow down and enjoy the ride we have some beautiful country side to see

LIFE is to SHORT to sweat the small stuff

AL

wonka
04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I too have pulled a lot of big loads down those highways. 100km was plenty fast for my liking.

Now I drive snowplow. I am not supposed to exceed 60km with that truck when plowing or sanding. I have spent thousands of hours grinding along at 50 to 60 km on the 160km stretch of highway we maintain. I've been doing this job, in this district for over ten years now.
Over all those years and all those miles I have not been involved in even one accident. Two vehicles have hit the ditch beside me over that time. one because he had to slam on the breaks because he tried to pass when unsafe and the roads were very slippery that day.
The second vehicle spun out on ice trying to accelerate too fast on icy roads, again to pass me.

Understand this is not dry straight flat roadways we are talking about here.
This is hilly crooked often ice covered roads I am dealing with, and often at night.

So if 20 km under the posted limit is so dangerous on straight flat dry roads in broad daylight, how is it that I get away with travelling 40 to 50 km under the posted limits, very often under the worst possible conditions, year after year, without killing several people a year.
And why aren't people, a lot of people, demanding that all snowplows be banned from the highways or at least forced by law to plow and sand at no less then 130 km, to match the speed of the majority?

Man that would be interesting. 120 with a snowplow !!! We snap off sign posts with our snow plumes at 60km, I wonder what carnage we could leave in our wake if we did 120km.
And sanding, well that would become totally impossible. We could kill people with just a handful of sand.

I'll go out on a limb here and say it might have something to do with the bright flashing lights, billowing snow, great big truck, wow I know I can always see one, day or night the lights do there job and catch your attention.
Kind of like the earlier post about not driving over 100 in a kenworth, yea because they handle exactly like a BMW

The discussion was about driving TOO SLOW, not speeding, try and keep up. If you are driving 20 k's under the posted limit on a winding hilly road traveling a well know route to an area like Ft Mac when the roads are dry you ARE A PROBLEM. Try and rationalize why you are not capable of maintaining the posted speed any way you want, but your causing problems. Imagine how smooth things would go if there wasn't the bunch of idiots there is trying to merge onto deerfoot @ 60k's, maintain the status quo and merging goes great, the problem is there are too many parade marshals that feel it SAFER at 20 kms slower.
All of you that are COMFORTABLE driving 80 in a 100, I invite you to take a cruise down to california. You don't hear to much about freeway shootings anymore, but I'm sure with the proper motivation we will.
Anybody here pay my tickets? (two in the last twenty two years). How about my insurance? Buy my gas, have a biological connection? No, well then I guess I'll carry on driving the way I choose, BUT once again, you will NEVER find me impeding the flow of traffic. Oh and if you are one of THOSE guys that feels 100 is just too fast, I'll be the one reminding you of one of our past prime ministers with a salute as I go by.

Jimboy
04-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Why get frustrated , slow down

elkhunter11
04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Why get frustrated , slow down

Sure just follow along behind those trucks, and in short order, you will be part of a convoy just waiting for something to go wrong and cause a multi vehicle pileup. It likely won't be your fault, but with everyone tailgating because they are too scared to pass, even if you have time to brake should something happen, the vehicle tailgating you might not have time, and you will likely end up in the pile up anyways. Jam ups of many vehicles are dangerous, even if they are going 80km per hour, so I will get past them as soon as it is safe to do so. And I have personally driven highway 63 for over 30 years without an incident of any kind.

Lonnie
04-18-2011, 04:44 AM
some people just don't get it. those big rigs are governed for a reason heavy loads don't stop quick or turn worth a dam at high speed and it sounds like a lot of you should rewrite your drivers licence as it sounds like a lot of you wuold fail that part.

Sundancefisher
04-18-2011, 07:47 AM
He has no problem cutting you off to get back into his lane if there is oncoming traffic, which ain't good cause when dude slams on the brakes to get out captain awesome's way, everyone who is tailgating suddenly has to slam on the brakes too and it generally makes a big mess.

I agree. This to me is one of the most dangerous things drivers do. Tailgating and not allowing a spot for people passing to get back in. It shows reckless disregard for common sense defensive driving rules. Nothing is more worrisome than someone with a complex that believes no one should pass and there they won't leave room for people to get back into traffic. I ALWAYS make sure people can get back in.

I also agree that people tailgating at highway speeds should be ticketed big time. A buddy went skiing down South and was caravaning in a group driving super fast through Montana. A trooper passed them...turned...pursued and pulled one guy over. The guy said to the cop he thought there was no speed limit. The cop said yes...but you were tailgating. He got a ticket.

People that feel is it their highway can be very frightening.

That being said...who likes the guy pulling the giant travel trailer through the mountains that feels driving 70 around the corners is proper folllowed by accelerating to 120 on the straight aways?:)

catnthehat
04-18-2011, 08:07 AM
I've been driving that highway for 38 years, and can't recall an accident that was caused by someone drivig too slow.
thee have been numerous ones caused by [people trying to PASS others, h0wever, regardless of the speed that the vehicle being passed was traveling.

I never have liked being passed by someone on a solid line, which happens fequently.
Two weeks ago I had to hit the shoulder as I was being passed by a car wit a tractor coming theother way - I was doig 102KM's , no hill, the truck was clearly visable in the oncoming lane.
Cat

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
04-18-2011, 08:43 AM
So according to your logic, if I normally drive 110km/hr in a 100km/hr zone, I am driving dangerously, and risking your life, because I am exceeding the posted speed limit. Now supposedly, the speed limit is changed to 110km/ hr, and I continue to drive 110km/hr on that same stretch of highway. Am I suddenly no longer driving dangerously, and risking your life? Am I driving safer now just because I am not exceeding the posted speed limit, even though I am driving the exact same speed, on the exact same stretch of highway?

there are reasons roads have speed limits, and last I looked it wasn't arbitrary.

again, if you feel the limit would be better set at 110 for that particular single lane highway, lobby your representative to initiate change!

there is probably a good reason 100kph is set on our highways.

our highways are not built as good as the autobaun

mad fisher
04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
The biggest issue is that people do not drive defensively.

You have to remember that driving is a privaledge(sp?) and not a right.

I always try and drive as defensively as I can. Which means that sometimes when the roads are icy and everyone else is driving at 60 on the highway I drive 60 as well. Even though I spend a lot of time on the roadways and my truck has the best winter tires on I do not fly along at 100.

And vise versa. Down in the US I am driving on the interstate in a city I haven't been too before and the speed limit is 65 mph but everyone and I mean everyone is flying along at 80 mph. That is what I do.

The people that are driving along at 80 kph on a clear dry road during the day should be ticketed. Just the same as the ones doing 120 kph. The danger is just the same.
The speed differencial compared to what the relative speed of the flow of traffic. -20 or +20 just as dangerous to the everyone on the road.

elkhunter11
04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
there are reasons roads have speed limits, and last I looked it wasn't arbitrary.

again, if you feel the limit would be better set at 110 for that particular single lane highway, lobby your representative to initiate change!

there is probably a good reason 100kph is set on our highways.

our highways are not built as good as the autobaun

Posting the above is apparently your way of avoiding answering the question.
That is the type of response that I would expect from a politician that desn't have an answer for a question. There are highways that are not in good condition at all, yet the speed limit remains at 100km/hr, yet other highways are in excellent condition, yet they have the same speed limit. Obviously both highways are not equally safe for the same speed, yet both higways have the same speed limit.

As for the 100kph, you don't suppose that they may have chosen 100km/hr because they needed to convert the limit to a metric number, and 100km/hr was a nice round number close to 65mph which was the limit back in the 60s when vehicles had drum brakes, manual steering, and bias ply tires. In other words, the 65mph speed limit reflected the highways of the 60s, and the vehicles of the 60s. Todays highways are supposedly better, and of course today's vehicles handle , and stop much better, and have many more safety features yet we are still using speed limits based on the 60s technology.

JB_AOL
04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Sorry Elkhunter, you are looking for a needle in a haystack. There is obviously a reason the roads are at the same speed limit. What that reason is, I'm not sure, but I can guarantee it's not a simple "because we said so" from the politicians, or let's choose 100km/h because it's closest to 65mph. But you can probably do a bit of research and find out what company designed that road and they will be able to tell you.

There can be many reasons the speed limits are what they are.

-Road only designed for a certain speed. Curves, road foundation, proximity to houses, etc.
-Road allowance isn't wide enough. Yep, there has to be more allowance when speeds increase.
-Traffic
-Shoulders
-Some Communities simply will not allow it. There's a reason why there's almost always a set of lights when the hwy goes through a town/city. Better yet, why do they insist on making hwy's through small towns?
-Traffic flow control.
And I'm sure there's a ton more that I am missing.

The biggest reason is the first one. When they design & build a road they have a safety factor that is used. IIRC, it was ~10-15%km/h. if they were to increase the speed limit, they wouldn't have that anymore.

The reality of it is, if you were to increase the speed limit (in your example), I can guarantee that you would increase your speed to 120km/h.

You're forgetting that there is very few "new" roads being built, Most of the roads we drive on today were originally built/designed along time ago, just simply refinished/repaired or added onto. They rarely start from scratch. This would mean rebuilding alot of roads from scratch.

Choose your poison.

-Keep speed limits the same

or

-Higher taxes because you want road infrastructure to be able to handle higher speeds.

The problem with Alberta drivers is lack of respect for each other. Yes it seems like everyone here is in a hurry, but the problems start when everyone else feels it's their duty to police. By comparison, the interstates in the US are a dream to drive compared to here. People actually move out of the fast lane, signal, make room if you are trying to get over, semis leave room between each other to allow passing, oh yeah, and if you're trying to pass someone, they don't speed up. I could go on but..

Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does.

elkhunter11
04-18-2011, 10:51 AM
There is obviously a reason the roads are at the same speed limit. What that reason is, I'm not sure, but I can guarantee it's not a simple "because we said so" from the politicians, or let's choose 100km/h because it's closest to 65mph.

If the roads were originaly designed for 65mph, with vehicles manufactured in the 60s and before, it is only reasonable that they would be still be safe for 65mph with todays safer vehicles. However, the speed limit is now 100kph which is about 62.5mph. If the 100kph is not a simple metric conversion from 65mph, would you care to explain why the safe speed for our highways has now dropped by 2.5mph, in spite of the safer vehicles in use today?

JB_AOL
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Your right.. (is that what you wanted to hear since your looking for a specific answer)....

Since your nitpicking...

Safe speed?? What is that? Who says the safe speed has dropped?

In case you missed that part of my post, the designed speed of a road is 10-15% higher than the posted limit.

Hwy's I frequent on are 110kmh... (I'll help you with this one) that's faster than 65mph, and they haven't changed routing since the 60s?

Did you ever think that maybe the cars in the 60s weren't safe at those speeds, shouldn't of been travelling that fast and they didn't know any better to change it. And just now the auto technology is catching up to road technology.

You're also forgetting that there is alot more vehicles on the road today, and according to another recent forum topic, drivers are worse today.

RussellZ
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Just wanted to clarify a few things...

1. I've been driving for around 8 years now (I am 23), and have never once in my life been ticketed. I've never even been pulled over before. I've put on well over 120 000 km on my vehicles in that time.

2. I do not drive beyond what road conditions and traffic allow me to. If its icy, I leave tons of room infront of me and drive where I feel is safe given my capabilities. I've never been in the ditch, so I think I've got a pretty good handle on that. If there is heavy traffic (read Highway 63) then I leave tons of room infront of me for those who are passing, and make my way past when I can see for several kilometers. I try to dampen some of the accelerate / decelerate pattern that develops in those traffic jams by driving a hair slower than the guy infront of me and creating a big space, then maintaining that speed for several kilometers to even traffic out. Heck, I leave 2 car distances infront of me at a red light in the winter so I can pull ahead if I feel a vehicle is coming in behind me a little too hot to avoid a rear ending.

3. I drive 110 km/h pretty much all the time. Be it a 100 zone or a 110 zone. 110 is where my truck is geared for it's best fuel efficiency, it handles well, and is able to stop without much trouble. Doing 110 on 63 is a safe speed, the highway is plenty capable of supporting those speeds, and it doesn't make you super slow as seen by oncoming vehicles.

4. I would think that a big B-train running 140 km/h would be a little bit on the insane side. That said, if the rig is not capable of being run at 100 km/h, then it should not be running up the highway during shift change. There is no good reason why that rig can't be lit up like a 747 and hauled up in the middle of the night when the highway is quiet.

5. I will follow a slow moving vehicle for as long as required to pass it safely. I do not tailgate, nor do I get myself into a blinding rage over it.

You can call my logic flawed, or tell me that I am a bad person who steals things, vandalizes and scares small children becuase I drive 110 km/h in a 100 zone, but that would make you someone who places completely unfounded lables on someone you know nothing about.

mtylerb
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
... SPEED KILLS!

No it doesn't. The sudden stop does.

Don't we get in this argument every few months?

Joe Blow Billy Bob says "Speed Killz!" and "I do 20 under the speed limit all the time so I can see the sights!"

John Doe says "Speed doesn't killz!" and "I do 10 to 20 over the speed limit all the time and never get in an accident!"

JBBB: Who cares? If you're driving slower, stay to the right! It's considerate and relieves frustration of the drivers that want to go faster! It's not your job to police the roadways and pizz off the faster drivers, that's up to the cops to enforce. If you're on a single lane road, pull off to the shoulder and let the faster drivers past, you chose to drive slow so a little slower shouldn't hurt you for a few moments.

JD: When you're done passing someone, get back over to the right! While I don't personally care that you're speeding, you aren't godly Captain Awesome who owns the left lane! If someone else is passing in the left lane in front of you and you are going faster than them, slow down a bit and let them get back to the right instead of riding their azz (without the obligatory hair tug).

If everyone played nicely instead of "the law doesn't say I HAVE to be in the right lane, so I'm not going to" or "the law doesn't say I HAVE to pass in the left lane, so I'm not going to" followed by *stick out tongue, stomp feet and cry like a third grader*, then the roads would be a safer and more enjoyable place to be.

And for god's sake, turn on your fricken headlights at night!!!!! :angry3:

The ol' farts on here are just as bad as the young punks with the petty little driving arguments. Why can't we just get along? :love0025:

/endrant

I'm heading to work, flame away.

elkhunter11
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Hwy's I frequent on are 110kmh... (I'll help you with this one) that's faster than 65mph, and they haven't changed routing since the 60s?

So how many of Alberta's highways have speed limits of 110kph? A very small minority, so in the case of the vast majority of highways, the speed limit has been lowered to 100kph.

You're also forgetting that there is alot more vehicles on the road today, and according to another recent forum topic, drivers are worse today.

The obvious solution is to deal with the unsafe drivers, not to make everyone drive slightly slower. Come down hard on the drivers that don't drive safely, and you will prevent more accidents than dropping the speed limit slightly will prevent. Abolish the gun registry, put more officers on the road with the money saved, and start dealing with the drivers that don't signal, are distracted by cellphones, or by gawking at the scenery as they drive insteasd of paying attention to the traffic. Deal with the people driving with burned out headlights or signal lights or with bald tires, or in jacked up vehicles that don't handle properly on the road. The only problem is, that it takes less effort, and it is more profitable to hand out fines for speeding, than it does to deal with the other issues.

Paul C
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
I would think people would drive at a reduced speed due to the rising cost of petro. I drive slower on the highway just save some pesos.
The time I lose traveling is nothing compared to what I save in money.

4thredneck
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
So how many of Alberta's highways have speed limits of 110kph? A very small minority, so in the case of the vast majority of highways, the speed limit has been lowered to 100kph.

The obvious solution is to deal with the unsafe drivers, not to make everyone drive slightly slower. Come down hard on the drivers that don't drive safely, and you will prevent more accidents than dropping the speed limit slightly will prevent. Abolish the gun registry, put more officers on the road with the money saved, and start dealing with the drivers that don't signal, are distracted by cellphones, or by gawking at the scenery as they drive insteasd of paying attention to the traffic. Deal with the people driving with burned out headlights or signal lights or with bald tires, or in jacked up vehicles that don't handle properly on the road. The only problem is, that it takes less effort, and it is more profitable to hand out fines for speeding, than it does to deal with the other issues.

Way back in the dark ages when the speed limits were posted in miles per hour all major highways were 60, I do believe the 4 lanes were 65. So when metric was introduced the speed limit was actually raised on highways. I remember when they raised the speeds to 110 on hwy 2, we could drive like madmen. There sure was a lot less traffic then. :sick:I feel old now, I can actually remember signs in mph:angry3:

Spartan30-06
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I was taught to pass on the left and then get back in the right, stay in the right and go as slow as you like but keep the left clear.

6tmile
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
If the 100kph is not a simple metric conversion from 65mph, would you care to explain why the safe speed for our highways has now dropped by 2.5mph, in spite of the safer vehicles in use today?

It is because some people think that they have a new vehicle they are safer, not everyone has a new vehicle plain and simple. If you wanna speed then speed, if you want to get home to see your family and loved ones drive defensively.

eastcoast
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I was taught to pass on the left and then get back in the right, stay in the right and go as slow as you like but keep the left clear.

I generally follow this rule but if I am passing a string of traffic say on hwy 2 I don't feel neccesary to go back and forth between lanes that much,I have driven in the left lane for many miles passing 1 vehicle after another,but here's the difference when I see a vehicle coming up behind me to pass me I get back in the right lane and let them pass me,then I carry on my way in either lane,the problem is people pass a few cars in the left lane and then refuse to get out of it causing a possibly dangerous situation by getting passed on the right or someone tailgating them.use the left lane if you want if you are going faster than traffic but when someone is coming up on you give them the same courtesy.

bb356
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Way back in the dark ages when the speed limits were posted in miles per hour all major highways were 60, I do believe the 4 lanes were 65. So when metric was introduced the speed limit was actually raised on highways. I remember when they raised the speeds to 110 on hwy 2, we could drive like madmen. There sure was a lot less traffic then. :sick:I feel old now, I can actually remember signs in mph:angry3:

And the WHITE LINE was in the middle !!! :)

bb356
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
some people just don't get it. those big rigs are governed for a reason heavy loads don't stop quick or turn worth a dam at high speed and it sounds like a lot of you should rewrite your drivers licence as it sounds like a lot of you wuold fail that part.

Ever drive a TRUCK ??? :)

KegRiver
04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Gentleman, we are wasting our time.

You know the fellow who follows ten feet behind you for miles and miles?
He's the same fellow who passes on a double solid line. He's the same fellow who doesn't seem to know where the on off switch to his driving lights is.

And he's alive and well and posting on this thread.

Think about it. What do you think he'd tell you if he could talk to you?
He has, loud and clear. Just like he does on the highway.

Gonehuntin'
04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
No problem with folks going a comfortable speed, as posted here before, the speed limit says MAXIMUM on top of the sign.However I think we could all agree that the average highway speed is a bit over that. IMO the persons that really cause the accidents are those retreads that get super impatient and angry because someone in front of them is under 110 km hr.

Then they work themselves up, get super aggressive on the wheel, tailgate, and pick the worst spot to pass, and go for it. The sad part is these retreads often take others with them when they smash it up. Relax, slow it down, enjoy the drive.And get there alive.

elkhunter11
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Way back in the dark ages when the speed limits were posted in miles per hour all major highways were 60, I do believe the 4 lanes were 65. So when metric was introduced the speed limit was actually raised on highways.

Where I grew up , the posted limit was 65mph. It is now 100kph.

It is because some people think that they have a new vehicle they are safer, not everyone has a new vehicle plain and simple.

Not everyone had a new vehicle in the 60s either, but then the older vehicles were from the 40s and 50s, now they are from the 80s and 90s. However in the 60s, almost everyone had bias ply tires,now they have radials.

KegRiver
04-18-2011, 08:33 PM
No problem with folks going a comfortable speed, as posted here before, the speed limit says MAXIMUM on top of the sign.However I think we could all agree that the average highway speed is a bit over that. IMO the persons that really cause the accidents are those retreads that get super impatient and angry because someone in front of them is under 110 km hr.

Then they work themselves up, get super aggressive on the wheel, tailgate, and pick the worst spot to pass, and go for it. The sad part is these retreads often take others with them when they smash it up. Relax, slow it down, enjoy the drive.And get there alive.

Right on.

I know I am accused of holding up traffic because of the stand I take.
In reality a generally cruse a few k above the posted limit.

I do travel slower when the roads are slippery, or when other hazards are present such as large wildlife/Deer/Moose/ext, or when approaching badly potholed sections of roadway, or when visibility is reduced.
In those cases I reduce my speed to what I think is required for the conditions.

And I get tailgated and given the finger and passed on a double solid line at least once for every hour I spend on any main road/highway. Sun, rain, or dark of night. Summer, winter, spring or fall.

Just this morning, less the five minutes south of Manning, on highway 35, I was passed on a double solid line. For those of you who know that highway, you know that I'm talking about the North Star intersection.
For those who don't, that is a major intersection immediately, 100 meters before a blind S bend corner.

I was doing exactly 100k in my PLOW TRUCK, heading south, empty, without my plow on, and I got passed at that double solid line/intersection/blind-S-bend. And he gave me the finger.

That is what I deal with every day, and that is what I am hearing here on this thread. It's the same attitude. Get the HE double hockey sticks out of my way!!!

You can claim you are only doing 110 all you want. I know what I see every day, and it's not the people who come up behind me slow, 110 to my 100, or the ones who stay well back, it's the ones that gain one mile on me for every two or less that I travel, they are the ones passing me on double solid lines, in blind corners, and then giving me the finger.

And half the time it's a big diesel 4x4 .

While I'm thinking about it, let me give you all some tips on how to get by a Snow Plow as easily as possible. Keep in mind these tips only work if you are overtaking a reasonable operator, there are idiots behind the controls of Snow Plows too.

So how to get by us as fast and safe as you can?

#1, do not tailgate a Snowplow/sander. If her is sanding, you will catch bouncing pebbles. Plus, he will not be able to react in time to avoid spraying you with sand.
It takes time for the chain and spinner to stop.

#2 do not pull out pass and then just sit there. He will turn off his sander as soon as you pull out, if he's a decent operator. But if you take too long, he will turn it back on. Because if he leaves it off for any length of time he is setting a trap ( a stretch of ice on a sanded road ) that could well cause someone else to crash.

#3 stay back far enough so that you can accelerate to above the speed of the Plow Truck before you reach him, this gives him time to spot you and to turn off his sander. And it means you spend less time beside him.
Good for him, and good for you. See #2

#4 if you are on a mostly deserted stretch of road, such as late at night or on a secondary, and you know the road well enough to safely move into the other lane well before coming up behind the plow, lets say 300 or 400 meters, this will work the best of all.

It gives the operator more then enough time to spot you before you reach him.
It tell him you mean to pass and will go if given the chance.
It makes it easy for him to judge your speed and time his sanding so as to allow you to pass without spraying you and without leaving a trap for other motorists.

Please note. I slow down for big trucks, Greyhound buses, and anyone else who moves to the other lane well before reaching me.

One last hint. If I signal you to pass, two flashes of my turn signal, or shut off my amber's for two or more flashes, I want you to pass, the road ahead is clear, and if you don't at least try to pass, I will forget you are behind me.

I have two joy sticks, 32 switches, two rotary dials and all the controls other trucks have, to keep an eye on and manipulate, plus I have to try to track a straight line, keep a 20 foot wide riig within one lane and not over the shoulder. I have to watch out for guard rails, deliminator posts, and bridge abutments. I can not spend all my time looking in my rear view mirror.

Please remember, I am out there to make the roads safe for you and everyone else. I am not out there to cater to you alone nor am I out there to kiss you butt.
Smile and wave if you can and I'll go the extra mile for you. Give me the finger and you are on your own BUD.

Lonnie
04-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Right on.

I know I am accused of holding up traffic because of the stand I take.
In reality a generally cruse a few k above the posted limit.

I do travel slower when the roads are slippery, or when other hazards are present such as large wildlife/Deer/Moose/ext, or when approaching badly potholed sections of roadway, or when visibility is reduced.
In those cases I reduce my speed to what I think is required for the conditions.

And I get tailgated and given the finger and passed on a double solid line at least once for every hour I spend on any main road/highway. Sun, rain, or dark of night. Summer, winter, spring or fall.

Just this morning, less the five minutes south of Manning, on highway 35, I was passed on a double solid line. For those of you who know that highway, you know that I'm talking about the North Star intersection.
For those who don't, that is a major intersection immediately, 100 meters before a blind S bend corner.

I was doing exactly 100k in my PLOW TRUCK, heading south, empty, without my plow on, and I got passed at that double solid line/intersection/blind-S-bend. And he gave me the finger.

That is what I deal with every day, and that is what I am hearing here on this thread. It's the same attitude. Get the HE double hockey sticks out of my way!!!

You can claim you are only doing 110 all you want. I know what I see every day, and it's not the people who come up behind me slow, 110 to my 100, or the ones who stay well back, it's the ones that gain one mile on me for every two or less that I travel, they are the ones passing me on double solid lines, in blind corners, and then giving me the finger.

And half the time it's a big diesel 4x4 .

While I'm thinking about it, let me give you all some tips on how to get by a Snow Plow as easily as possible. Keep in mind these tips only work if you are overtaking a reasonable operator, there are idiots behind the controls of Snow Plows too.

So how to get by us as fast and safe as you can?

#1, do not tailgate a Snowplow/sander. If her is sanding, you will catch bouncing pebbles. Plus, he will not be able to react in time to avoid spraying you with sand.
It takes time for the chain and spinner to stop.

#2 do not pull out pass and then just sit there. He will turn off his sander as soon as you pull out, if he's a decent operator. But if you take too long, he will turn it back on. Because if he leaves it off for any length of time he is setting a trap ( a stretch of ice on a sanded road ) that could well cause someone else to crash.

#3 stay back far enough so that you can accelerate to above the speed of the Plow Truck before you reach him, this gives him time to spot you and to turn off his sander. And it means you spend less time beside him.
Good for him, and good for you. See #2

#4 if you are on a mostly deserted stretch of road, such as late at night or on a secondary, and you know the road well enough to safely move into the other lane well before coming up behind the plow, lets say 300 or 400 meters, this will work the best of all.

It gives the operator more then enough time to spot you before you reach him.
It tell him you mean to pass and will go if given the chance.
It makes it easy for him to judge your speed and time his sanding so as to allow you to pass without spraying you and without leaving a trap for other motorists.

Please note. I slow down for big trucks, Greyhound buses, and anyone else who moves to the other lane well before reaching me.

One last hint. If I signal you to pass, two flashes of my turn signal, or shut off my amber's for two or more flashes, I want you to pass, the road ahead is clear, and if you don't at least try to pass, I will forget you are behind me.

I have two joy sticks, 32 switches, two rotary dials and all the controls other trucks have, to keep an eye on and manipulate, plus I have to try to track a straight line, keep a 20 foot wide riig within one lane and not over the shoulder. I have to watch out for guard rails, deliminator posts, and bridge abutments. I can not spend all my time looking in my rear view mirror.

Please remember, I am out there to make the roads safe for you and everyone else. I am not out there to cater to you alone nor am I out there to kiss you butt.
Smile and wave if you can and I'll go the extra mile for you. Give me the finger and you are on your own BUD.

have things realy changed since I wrote my licence you were not to pass a snow plow period they were to pull over every 5 miles to let traffic go by. and if you tried passing and got a rock in the windshield from the sander it was just to bad for you. and what year did it change so that your allowed to pass a snow plow

Lonnie
04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Ever drive a TRUCK ??? :)

one or two

KegRiver
04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
have things realy changed since I wrote my licence you were not to pass a snow plow period they were to pull over every 5 miles to let traffic go by. and if you tried passing and got a rock in the windshield from the sander it was just to bad for you. and what year did it change so that your allowed to pass a snow plow

I don't know when it changed.

We are instructed, not required, to pull over every 10k but on much of the roads we maintain, this is impossible. The shoulders aren't wide enough to get more then half off the travelled lane and there are a lot of stretches where there are no side roads or wide places where we can pull off.
To complicate matters, many of the intersections that do exist are such that we would have to slow to a few Km per hour in order to make the turn, to leave the highway, plus we would have to back up onto the highway to return to our route. Naturally neither is a good option in today's traffic.

When I first started this job we ran trucks without wing blades. It was much easier to get off the travel lanes with those trucks, before that they ran single axle trucks which were even easier to get clear of traffic lanes.

Perhaps that's the answer. Perhaps it became legal to pass a snowplow when it became too difficult and or dangerous to pull off the travel lanes.

One more thing I should mention here.

If I spray you with sand and break or even just badly chip your windshield, and it was my fault, not yours. And if I tell my supervisor that I did that, it is company policy to replace your windshield, free of charge.

What you do is call the nearest maintenance shop and tell them what happened. Do not embellish it, there is no need to, and it WILL work against you. A few small chips are enough to warrant a free windshield, if I was at fault.
They will most likely ask you to fill out a windshield claim. Then they will contact me and ask for my side of the story. If I tell them I sprayed you and that it was not your fault, they will contact you to arrange to replace your windshield.
Remember, not all companies do this, and not all operators will own up to making a mistake or even to being unable to shut off their sander, (not your fault, right)
The company will almost certainly take their operators word over an unknown person. This is out of necessity, we get a lot of false claims every year.
Just remember, yelling and exaggerating is the best way to get your claim rejected.

It is a courtesy to those we serve. This is not law. Be calm and get your facts straight and you will most likely get satisfaction.

Sorry for the hyjack guys. I've been meaning to write this all down for years, but I keep forgetting. I figured I'd better do it while I was thinking about it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

steelhead
04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
A quote from whoever that was that said this.....

........."110 is where my truck is geared for it's best fuel efficiency,"

Hiway gears in all north american vehicles (be it trucks or cars) are set for maximum fuel economy at 55 miles an hour.

STEELHEAD

And with the prices of gas bein what they are, be prepared for alot more slower drivers on the road.

Christofficer
04-18-2011, 10:13 PM
lol @ people thinking slower drivers are automatically more likely to cause an accident.

When they post a speed limit, that is the maximum speed allowed where conditions are favorable.

I know that you know, that you already know that. But this doesn't include only road conditions, imo, but also the traffic speed around you. If everyone around you is going 80 km/h in a 100 km/h zone, and you're going 100 km/h, you are not moving with the flow of traffic. You can get a ticket for going too slow as well as speeding. Because it's dangerous.

KegRiver: Man, I straight up love you plow truck guys and sanders. I'll cruise behind you and take my time, catch some traction, and watch all the morons go screaming by fishtailing. These kinds of people seem to be everywhere, vehicle type does not discriminate. Just this winter, my first day ever driving truck through the mountains, I got passed by 2 trucks with reefers consecutively on a double solid 2 lane between sicamous and revelstoke, with a nice fresh foot of unplowed or sanded wet snow under me. And yeah, it was dark out, they blinded me for about 20 seconds. I was actually going a bit too fast for the road conditions yet they still managed to blow by me doing an extra 40 km/h....

Lonnie
04-19-2011, 01:40 AM
that about not passing a snow plow and the plow pulling over every 5 miles
does any one else remember that being one of the questions on a divers test