PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Fishing!!

mayuan
04-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I finally broke down and bought a pontoon.

So, is there a group of people that go pontoon or is this more of a solo thing? I was looking to drift the Bow or some other rivers and I have no experience and was looking to hook up with a few people.

I do have white water experience and know how to use a boat quite well just never owned a pontoon. I guess I should point out, not interested in white water fishing..... :)

WayneChristie
04-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Ive only used mine in lakes last year, but am hoping to do at least one float on the lower Bow this summer.

michaelmicallef
04-16-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought one this spring also. I have already seen people drifting the bow on pontoon boats last week. I am just waiting for some nice weather and better water conditions and I will be floating the bow. I would be interested in floating with you. Send me a PM.

mayuan
04-16-2011, 10:35 PM
I guess I should point out that my boat is about 3ish weeks away.

Dust1n
04-16-2011, 11:26 PM
there great on pothol lakes but once a wind starts they slid across the lake soo easy

mayuan
04-16-2011, 11:40 PM
I have always found that once the wind starts everything slides accross the lake quite well. do you think a chute would help that?

Dust1n
04-16-2011, 11:45 PM
id get a slighly under power anchor or a trolling motor but a sock woul deffinitly help

slingshotz
04-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I got one last year and only used it on the smaller lakes but I'm keen on doing a Bow drift. Ideally it would be good to do it in a group for shuttling, company and safety but there is a service that usually starts up in the summer that will shuttle you for a fee.

Just need to get some flippers for use in the pontoon. We should organize an AO group drift this year!

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
itd just bring paddels ditch the flippers do to shallow waters and big rocks on botom that will snap your feet!

DiehardFishingMan
04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I finally broke down and bought a pontoon.

So, is there a group of people that go pontoon or is this more of a solo thing? I was looking to drift the Bow or some other rivers and I have no experience and was looking to hook up with a few people.

I do have white water experience and know how to use a boat quite well just never owned a pontoon. I guess I should point out, not interested in white water fishing..... :)

What kind of pontoon boats did you buy? I hope you don't mind I am asking this question

I wanna buy a pontoon boats for fishing too. But the pontoon boats in The Bass Pro are too big for the Bow river or any of the smaller lakes

Heron
04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
In my opinion the nice part about having the PT boat is hands free so I would not go without my flippers. For small still waters I often don't bring my oars and I have been in some pretty big winds. For still water I like the long scuba style fins and for rivers like the bow the fins that attach to your wading boots make it easy to take off and on. I have an old Fishcat 9 and the only problem I have ever had was the oarlocks loosening up. Make sure those oar locks are tight. Wonderful way to fish!

Mikediz
04-18-2011, 12:25 PM
fishing flowing waters from a pontoon is great, have done the bow and red deer river numerous times.

few points for flowing water:
dont use flippers
dont go alone
take an anchor
take a patch kit
an electric motor is handy but not necessary

Kokanee9
04-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Just wondering if anyone has floated down the elbow in the section that is surrounded by landowners from Bragg Creek to Glenmore res.

ArtVandelay
04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I respectfully disagree. I find them invaluable while floating the Bow. Why no flippers?

[QUOTE=Mikediz;910941]fishing flowing waters from a pontoon is great, have done the bow and red deer river numerous times.

dont use flippers

Heron
04-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I respectfully disagree. I find them invaluable while floating the Bow. Why no flippers?

[QUOTE=Mikediz;910941]fishing flowing waters from a pontoon is great, have done the bow and red deer river numerous times.

dont use flippers

Gotta agree with Art although I guess it depends what you are doing fishing wise. If you are just using the toon as transportation then I guess you don't need fins. I like to fish while I float, and fins help me keep straight in the water and the right speed.

mayuan
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
What kind of pontoon boats did you buy? I hope you don't mind I am asking this question

I wanna buy a pontoon boats for fishing too. But the pontoon boats in The Bass Pro are too big for the Bow river or any of the smaller lakes

I picked up the skykomish sunrise h2. The boat had the best features for the price.

walking buffalo
04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone has floated down the elbow in the section that is surrounded by landowners from Bragg Creek to Glenmore res.

You can float the Elbow River from Bragg Creek down to Discovery Ridge just past Hwy8 to the boundary of the Tsuu T'ina Reserve. There is no public access through the reserve, on land or water.

A word of caution for anyone Kayaking down the Elbow from Hwy 22 to Hwy 8. There are a lot of submerged roots and trees. It would be a dangerous place to get snagged. A canoe would be a better choice.

DiehardFishingMan
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
I picked up the skykomish sunrise h2. The boat had the best features for the price.

Thank you

Kokanee9
04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
You can float the Elbow River from Bragg Creek down to Discovery Ridge just past Hwy8 to the boundary of the Tsuu T'ina Reserve. There is no public access through the reserve, on land or water.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten that it runs through the reserve.

mayuan
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Thank you

LOL, I changed my mind on the boat before they shipped it. I am now getting the Scadden Outlaw X5 with the X7 frame. This is my final answer..... :)

WayneChristie
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Has anyone done a float from or through the forks? or hooked a sturgeon on one and gone from the forks back up to Bassano? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Xiph0id
04-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I thought you only needed permission to cross their land to access the water but the water was allowed regardless of who's land it is?

A word of caution for anyone Kayaking down the Elbow from Hwy 22 to Hwy 8. There are a lot of submerged roots and trees. It would be a dangerous place to get snagged. A canoe would be a better choice.

jts1
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I thought you only needed permission to cross their land to access the water but the water was allowed regardless of who's land it is?

I would have to go with this answer. I dont think the middle of the river counts as there land. Now if you stop anywhere along there you might have some issues.

walking buffalo
04-21-2011, 02:24 PM

I would have to go with this answer. I dont think the middle of the river counts as there land. Now if you stop anywhere along there you might have some issues.

Provincial law does not apply to Reserves, it is a Federal Jurisdiction.

You can NOT access Navigable waters through an Indian Reserve without permission from Chief and Council. This applies to ALL Reserves in Alberta. The Piikani Nation (Oldman River) and Siksika Nation (Bow River) are two other examples where you cannot float the river sections through the Reserve without permission.

npauls
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks like I will be putting in at the dam and floating to the summerview bridge and picking back up and launching again at fort mcleod and float down to the weir in lethbridge. I am refinishing a drift boat and have some plans to float the whole oldman from the dam down to the forks. Looks like I will have to skip the section on the reserve.

gl2
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
some of the best water on the bow can be found on the reserve. got permission to acess and fish this water this year and i am exited to fish less pressured water.

Doc
04-21-2011, 04:33 PM
itd just bring paddels ditch the flippers do to shallow waters and big rocks on botom that will snap your feet!

If you plan to fish while you float, fins are needed to direct yourself into shore while playing the fish. When you run riffles simply put your feet up on the foot pegs.

With that said, the only time I use fins is on moving water. When in my 'toon on stillwaters, I always double anchor and work an area that way.

32-40win
04-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I've had 8 & 9 ft Fishcats and a 9ft Waterskeeter. The 9ft is better for a long trip where you need to take stuff with you, ie, camping gear, hunting gear, a dog, or a trolling motor with battery. The 8ft units are only rated to 350lbs max, the 9ft goes to 450. If you look at different boats you will find a lot of the "other" brands have Fishcat frames, old or new style (look at the seat mount).
Drift socks work well on the lakes in a big wind, and I'd rather be in a pontoon boat when those winds come up, far easier to handle. That is also when a trolling motor comes in very handy, you can fish when others quit.
Get good flippers, you only have to buy them once. And as said, if you are on the river, keep your feet up if not req'd, until you have been down that area a couple of times and know where the hazards are.

mayuan
05-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Where am I going to play with my new pontoon this weekend?