PDA

View Full Version : Boat project update

Braun
04-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Alright. Thanks to nate, i now have my livewell. its narrow, shortish and 32+ long on the inside. I discovered that there is definitely no way to put it between the consoles where i want it. So i have decided to build it into the back of the boat to make the livewell get a smoother ride and help me plane out batter. on either side of the live well at the back of the boat will be compartments for my battery and gas tank. The bow will still be framed in for storage. I think I am pretty much ready to start framing stuff in.

As for other issues on the boat, I am still having issues with the prop. i will probably solve those next weekend when the snow is melted. I think I will jjust pull the boat to a marine shop and get it figured out what I am missing for the prop. Im hoping im not missing too much. right now i am also having trouble getting the props on the shaft. I'm not sure why its so tight but ill get it figured out once i get all the parts.

I need to find a good battery to use as my starting battery. I have a deep cycle that i am going to be using for all my electronics. Thats the battery that i currently have that starts the boat but i dont fully trust it. so I am looking for a starting battery and then just use the crappy old one for all electronics.

so ultimately i really only have a couple things left to do. I did get lucky with the trailer being in such good shape but i think i will have a little work to do on that but it is a bottom priority right now. I am not sure if ill get it done for the 8th. im pretty busy as it is with finals and such.

rielbowhunter
04-17-2011, 02:07 PM
So do you have any pics of your livewell?

Braun
04-17-2011, 02:24 PM
ill be taking lots as it gets built. none right now because nothing is installed. I will post pics as i go. Next weekend my priority is to finish up everything with the prop then pending how that goes start in on the framing. the framing wont take long. I have exams on the 27,28,29 . so that weekend and the week after will be the big push. right now im just collecting pieces.

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Sounds awesome braun. I've been working on mine all day yesterday and today. 14' crestliner with a tiller motor. Framed the casting/storage platform yesterday and the bow motor mount with carpet. So far so good. Today I cut the platform sheathing and things are going smooth. I'll post some pictures tonight if I have time. No livewell for me but I'm moving gas and battery up front for weight.

I'm also putting in a floor all the way to the back and everything will have carpet. Can't wait to finish and try it out.

Hope your project goes smoothly.

Braun
04-17-2011, 03:02 PM
ya all my designs are not final yet. Im debating weather to keep my battery at the back or to move it to the front. I will probably end up running 2 batteries. one strictly for starting and the other for electronics. then i have to face the decision of putting both in the back or the electronics one up front. I still have to find another battery. dont want to spend alot though which is nonsense when it comes to batteries cause they are ridiculously expensive

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Not sure what you want to spend on a battery but the Costcos in the Edmonton areas have group 27 120 amp hour deep cycles for $110.00. I know that ain't cheap but I have 2 on my fifth wheel and they work great.

I will be putting 1 or 2 in the boat depending on room and fit. Theres enough room for 2 but not much else.

I just glued in the carpet on my casting platform. Now it needs to dry before I carry on. I don't want to mess something up while its still wet. Picked up some paint this afternoon for the outside too. Can't wait.

I needed my weight shifted up front, that was my reasoning plus I added a bow mount Minn Kota so it was easier to put them up front. I run my sonar off of a 7amp gel cell so it stays at the back.

Keep me updated on your project. Can't wait to see some pics.

Braun
04-17-2011, 09:02 PM
where did you get your carpet? I havent picked up my carpet yet and i really havent looked. I know rona sells some at 60cents a square foot or something but I havent been there yet but I only saw the green stuff on the website.

ya, im going to have to swallow it at somepoint. I might be able to get away with the old battery for a little while. just got to be careful. also what did you use to glue your carpet down?

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I got my carpet at Rona. It came in a roll and was 8x12 for $62 i think, not green. Mine was grey and black and then I stapled some and glued some. I used the outdoor carpet glue from Rona. Around $28 for a gallon.

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Here is the first dayof work this weekend.

before
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110416-00073.jpg

Motor mount
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110416-00077.jpg

Motor installed
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110416-00079.jpg

Motor deployed
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110416-00081.jpg

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Day 2

Casting platform
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110417-00082.jpg

Gas Hatch
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110417-00083.jpg

Ready for carpet
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110417-00084.jpg

Another fine days work
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110417-00089.jpg

npauls
04-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Hey Willowtrail,

Are you going to be putting a removable seat mount on that front casting deck? That way when you are anchored up and there is a couple of guys on the boat there is plenty of comfortable seats to sit in.

The boat is looking good so far. Will be nice to see the finished product.

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Was going to just put these back on for now. May do something different after she hits the water.
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110413-00064.jpg

Chris88CL
04-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Love it! Keep posting pictures and progress updates!

I need to do some repairs to my little boat this spring too. Likely going to be replacing the entire transom and probably doing something similar to what you've been doing, except on a smaller scale since its pretty tight quarters already in the little 11' fiberglass boat.

Kokanee9
04-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Star Building had either half sheets or 3'x4' pieces of plywood for about $4. Can't remember the exact size or price. (403) 720-0010 is the phone #. On Blackfoot Tr., by the Brewery. Hope that can help.

Braun
04-18-2011, 07:55 AM
lookin good willow. Its good to see pics of how your framing in you hatches. I was going to do something similar. My deck is slightly bigger and i was worried about sturdiness in the floor but now that im not putting my livewell up front its not an issue. your going to have a sweet rig when all is said and done.

Thinlizzy
04-18-2011, 08:30 AM
That looks pretty slick!
Good job!:sHa_shakeshout:

Willowtrail
04-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Took it easy tonight after a busy weekend. Picked up some 3/8" gas line and ran the line down the keel of the boat to the back.

Also installed the 2 hatch covers, just need some stainless screws to fasten the catches.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110418-00090.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110418-00091.jpg

Tomorrow I will do a little fiberglass work and start prepping for paint and try to get the floor started.

Hey Braun, on a side note, the carpet has a direction to it so be aware when you're carpeting your hatches.

Braun
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
lol that would be funny. I think lowes has outdoor carpet drastically cheaper what what you paid. not that im trying to make you feel bad. Im just a poor student so I am going to hunt down the best deal. you did a real good job with your hatches. are they hinged?

Willowtrail
04-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I only used 3/8" plywood so it wouls be hard to hinge. Wanted to keep the weight down. Right now they are just pressure fit but I'm planing on using earth magnets on one side and a clip on the other side. I lucked out on my carpet and got 15% off on Saturday with the deal they had on.

I can't wait to get the next step done. Now I'm also thinking of closing in underneath the back 2 seats and add more storage. The possibilities are endless when doing a project like this. I'm just glad someone isn't charging me by the hour to do it. A new boat would be cheaper.

Braun
04-18-2011, 10:53 PM
ya im glad that i can do everything myself as well. plus this way you can build it EXACTLY how you want it. Ya i have been going back and forth with the thickness of ply I want to use. i would like to have bigger hatches in order to get bigger stuff in and out so i will want to have something with some thickness. the other handicap I have is with the livewell hatch, its going to need to be 23 inches wide and like close to 40 long. i want to get access to the entire livewell. that is a big span to have no supports. But there shouldnt be anyone standing on it and shouldnt be anyone sitting on it either.

One option is to put a support ion the middle and cut the lid of my livewell in half so i can open half my hatch then open half the livewell. But like i said i want to access everything at times............ and while typing this i figured out a way to do it.... alot of work but it will give me the support i need without needing to cut my lid in half or do anything funky. hmmm. thanks for helping me work that out.....

too hard to explain, ill post pictures as i go

Willowtrail
04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
When reading that I was figuring you could use steel to support the lid but do as you figured. Thats how my whole weekend went. If I was in a jamb, just sit back and it came to me. Don't over think anything, just get a rough idea and start and fly by the seat of your pants.

I can't wait to see your pictures. When are you starting?

Braun
04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
well what i figured out is leave the lids in full pieces. It will make it nice and uncluttered. but what i will do is glue and screw 2 2x4 cross braces to my hatch lid and then notch out the tips of my braces to make them only an inch thick and then notch out my framing an inch. then my notches will fit right into eachother bracing across my framing in the middle of my lid. then when i open it, my braces are attached to my lid and out of the way giving me full access to my livewell without losing any support.

Well i have exams the 27, 2 on the 28, and the 29. I am a fulltime student (4 classes) and work full time (40hours/week) Im not taking any time off work for my exams (except the 28) and I admittedly am behind in my studies. Needless to say that school must be a priority till the end of the month. doesnt mean I wont work on it slowly but I'm try to avoid starting my framing because once I start I wont stop. I am getting all the little things out of the way though. After my exams its going to be all hands on deck... (ha) I would like to be done for the may 8th opener but it might not happen till the following weekend. But I would definitely expect to start seeing pictures of the construction no later than the weekend of the 30th

Kim473
04-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Make sure the gas tank area has some good venting of some kind. You dont need to be a fire ball on the lake.

Redfrog
04-19-2011, 11:03 AM
x2 I'm glad someone mentioned that. It looks like you are putting fuel tanks in a closed area. It won't take much for it to fill with fumes on a hot day. a spark and you will have an airboat.

Braun
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
good point. mine will be well vented. not worried here.

Gust
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
x2 I'm glad someone mentioned that. It looks like you are putting fuel tanks in a closed area. It won't take much for it to fill with fumes on a hot day. a spark and you will have an airboat.

HOLY SHMOLY!!! Willow, seriously, cut a semi-circle out from where the carpet meets the keel, not higher, about 10" diameter and cut another vent hole right at the front of the bow. Also upgrade your tank. Put a rubber mat under your tank. If you got stopped on the water and they did a survey, your boat wouldn't pass.

Braun
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
HOLY SHMOLY!!! Willow, seriously, cut a semi-circle out from where the carpet meets the keel, not higher, about 10" diameter and cut another vent hole right at the front of the bow. Also upgrade your tank. Put a rubber mat under your tank. If you got stopped on the water and they did a survey, your boat wouldn't pass.

hahaha. in all seriousness though, whats wrong with that tank, same one im using. actually I think that one is a new plastic one. mine is an old metal 20L. If your talking about it being plastic and under his deck where it is going to be scortching with no vents then ya, I might agree. mine will have lots of space and I will also be keeping a spare tank of gas in the front deck.

Gust
04-19-2011, 11:32 AM
hahaha. in all seriousness though, whats wrong with that tank, same one im using. actually I think that one is a new plastic one. mine is an old metal 20L. If your talking about it being plastic and under his deck where it is going to be scortching with no vents then ya, I might agree. mine will have lots of space and I will also be keeping a spare tank of gas in the front deck.

His looks like an older metal one but in any regard, big vent right at the floor and draft points top-side on the deck.

mszomola
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
its awesome to see others working on their rig this winter . I also was doing a lot of upgrades. Today , i get the last piece of the puzzle , my new steering wheel.

List of updates ( will post pics eventually )

New Gauges
New Steering Wheel
Hot Foot
Pro Trim
Blue Water LED Lighting kit
LED Trailer Lights
New Seats
Rod Holders for my lockers
Water Separator

I just need to give her a coat of wax before this weekend to BC ... You are right though , its so nice to be able to do things yourself. Save a TON of $$$

Willowtrail
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
So far nothing is air tight. I may change the front hatch to a gtate style if yoy guys are worried about it. The tank is a new 3 gallon plastic tank.

Gust
04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
So far nothing is air tight. I may change the front hatch to a gtate style if yoy guys are worried about it. The tank is a new 3 gallon plastic tank.

The grate idea is great and being an open boat the flow thru air should be plenty.

Braun
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
GM aka safety stan.

GM I should just recruit you to come help me with my build so we can avoid these types of situations. It would be awesome to have a hand with it

Willowtrail
04-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Sorry Braun, no update tonight. Stayed on the couch reading the forum and watching hockey. Should have a half day of work tomorrow so back in the garage in the afternoon, I hope for a long days work on the boat.

Braun
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Pffff. unexceptable

Willowtrail
04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
What's unacceptable? The half day of work or watching the canucks get schooled? I needed a break. Had to figure out the floor and did some venting research. Going to put a couple of black round vents on the vertical riser. Just need to find the right vent cover now.

You better get those exams done and get going. We need to see pictures. Post a before pic if you can so I can see what your up against.

Braun
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
I was just kidding. ive posted pics in the "redneck livewell" thread. I will be taking lots of pics throughout the process. I might end up taking the boat out before fully completing the project. I just cant dedicate the funds to it right now. I am finally just starting to get full paychecks from my new job and getting caught back up on bills and such. The good news is, that I really dont need alot of materials to finish. Right now I have been pricing out carpet. That crap is not cheap in canada. you can find it in the states for 40% of the price. Almost cost effective to have it shipped here. Crazy. Best I found so far though is at lowes. Looks good and has a type of rubber backing. Willow what was your carpet like?

The other good news is that thanks to some forum members, I ve been able to think of ways to improve my designs / find materials and help me save some cash. which means I can finish my boat rather than dragging it out over time. Also where did you get your latch covers? i remember seeing them places and they are cheap i just cant remember where.

too bad your in edmonton. I would say that once our rigs our done we should meet up for a trip in them. maybe later in the summer though. A sylvan lake experiment.

npauls
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
You guys should meet up at gull and I will see if I can join you boys. I have had pretty good luck there and want to head back for some of those big nasty eyes that I was hooking into last fall.

Braun
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
ya maybe later in the summer. would you haul your boat up here too or are you able to suck it up and be on one of our crafts?

npauls
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Depends when it is haha. If its august long I am hoping to go for a camping trip so I would just haul my own stuff but if its a different time then I could pick you up along the way. Maybe take the camper, haul your boat, and make a weekend trip out of it.

Kokanee9
04-20-2011, 01:34 PM
There's a chance I could make it out there also for a day trip. I love fishing in Gull or Sylvan from the boat.

Braun
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
sounds like we got the making of a trip in the works. what about you willow? would you be in?

Gust
04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I was just kidding. ive posted pics in the "redneck livewell" thread. I will be taking lots of pics throughout the process. I might end up taking the boat out before fully completing the project. I just cant dedicate the funds to it right now. I am finally just starting to get full paychecks from my new job and getting caught back up on bills and such. The good news is, that I really dont need alot of materials to finish. Right now I have been pricing out carpet. That crap is not cheap in canada. you can find it in the states for 40% of the price. Almost cost effective to have it shipped here. Crazy. Best I found so far though is at lowes. Looks good and has a type of rubber backing. Willow what was your carpet like?

The other good news is that thanks to some forum members, I ve been able to think of ways to improve my designs / find materials and help me save some cash. which means I can finish my boat rather than dragging it out over time. Also where did you get your latch covers? i remember seeing them places and they are cheap i just cant remember where.

too bad your in edmonton. I would say that once our rigs our done we should meet up for a trip in them. maybe later in the summer though. A sylvan lake experiment.

Phone Canada Rug, and ask if they have any ends available, they'll prolly just give it to you or it will be very cost effective.

Braun
04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
sure if I want a checkerboard boat...... lol. Good idea chubbs but I would need some rather large off cuts.

Willowtrail
04-20-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd be up for Gull or sylvan for sure. Camping sounds like a good plan, i'll bring the 5th wheel. My carpet was from Rona,

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~carpet-needlepunched-carpet-lanart-417315_!outdoor-carpet_lanart_shop

It isn't marine grade but will do just fine, It is rubber backed so should hold up fine.

I Horsetrader picked me up my latches at Bass Pro last month. I think they were $7 each.

I got my eye on a pond near by and as soon as it melts I'll be out there testing out the new products. It's open all year and small so the I'm hoping the weekend after easter. Fingers crossed.

Daceminnow
04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Phone Canada Rug, and ask if they have any ends available, they'll prolly just give it to you or it will be very cost effective.

braun, i've mentioned this to you as well. you'll be very surprised at what the carpet stores my have for end pieces. roll ends are not 6" square pieces. most stores will have decent size pieces available at very discounted prices. they are not in the business of keeping ends hanging around, they want them out the door. looking at the pics of your rig, you won't require all that much. take a couple measurements and make a few calls.

Dace

horsetrader
04-20-2011, 08:51 PM
braun, i've mentioned this to you as well. you'll be very surprised at what the carpet stores my have for end pieces. roll ends are not 6" square pieces. most stores will have decent size pieces available at very discounted prices. they are not in the business of keeping ends hanging around, they want them out the door. looking at the pics of your rig, you won't require all that much. take a couple measurements and make a few calls.

Dace

UUUUUGH... I hate to admit it but i think Dace and i agree on something...:sign0068::sign0068: carpet warehouse store will usually have roll ends dye lot ends of carpet some will even be room size it's well worth checking in to......:Lightning:...I knew that would happen

Willowtrail
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Well I got more done tonight but can't post pics yet because photo bckey is down. Di a bit of body work with good old bondo. Had a few holes to fill on the side of the boat. Screws went through the side into a seat bracket that I removed so repair was needed.

I also was able to get the floor framed and the sheathing cut. I painted the bottom of the sheathing and its now drying for install either soon or tomorrow. I also put some paint on the inside to see how it looks. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll post pics once the site is back up and running. Tomorrow gets the floor fastened in and carpet installed

Willowtrail
04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Photobucket is back up. Here are some of todays pics.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00098.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00102.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00103.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00104.jpg

horsetrader
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Photobucket is back up. Here are some of todays pics.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00098.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00102.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00103.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110420-00104.jpg

You should have gotten your wife to paint it she would have stayed in the lines......lol Looks good open waters coming

npauls
04-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Looking good.

I start my project drift boat on friday morning with my pops. Hopefully it won't take more then the weekend to finish as long as the weather cooperates. I will see if I can get some before, during, and after pics of it and post them up on here.

Also going to be starting a few small repairs on my walleye boat tomorrow but nothing major enough to post up here.

huntsfurfish
04-21-2011, 05:59 AM
You might want to put in a bilge pump if you put a floor in.:) Also not sure if it was brought up yet. Marine grade wood would also be a good idea.

lookin good.

Mr.twister
04-21-2011, 06:18 AM
looks like its coming along nicely!!

Braun
04-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Well, Can't ignore 3 people saying the same thing ..... Ill look into it. Im not as hung up on it anymroe after I went and did some detailed measuring and figured out that I dont need much. to do what I want to do. but I will definitely look into it. Talked with a couple guys last night about my prop and parts for all that and it made me feel better. I think the only thing Im missing is my thrust washer and maybe the one locking piece. So not too bad. going to hook the motor upto some earmuffs this weekend to run it a bit. Not too much this weekend. I got alot of studying to do. Wednesday exams start and I have alot of reading to do.

Willowtrail
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I cut out a notch in the floor at the back where the plug is. If water becomes a problem I will build a portable bilge and run it off a gel cell battery and use as needed. All the wood on the floor is pressure treated and painted with exterior paint. I got the inside painted this afternoon and am now waiting for it to dry so I can glue in the carpet. It may have to wait for morning. So far I think its looking great. Almost done the interior. Should finish by tomorrow night and then flip over and do some body work and get ready for paint.

Braun
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
willow, is your boat alluminum or fiberglass on the inside? it looks like its fibreglass coated on the inside

Gust
04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I feel like a jerk for pointing out stuff,,, Willow, I can't figure out if your boat is aluminum or fibreglass. If it's aluminum, get all the pretreated lumber out asap and get treated lumber that doesn't have any copper in the treatment. When the treatment leaches out from getting wet (which it will) it will eat through your hull, and quite quickly at that,, copper and aluminum are arch enemies regarding watercraft. Sorry.

If you're ever in Vansewer or more notably reed Point Marina in Port Moody, there are a few huge private yachts, one is called "Deep Pockets". When the owner was retrofitting it he hired regular electricians who while wiring kept clipping off their excess and letting in drop wherever. Some clipping ended up in the lower hull/bulkheads and after months of trying to figure out why there was tons of water coming on, it was found to be thousands of pinholes from where the copper from those clippings ate through the hull. The Yacht next to his is Jimmy Pattisons.

Braun
04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
ya thats exactly what I was thinking too GM. I alsohave not heard great things about Presure treated wood and fiberglass. But A fellow ;) tells me that he has never heard any negative reactions with it and fibreglass resin....... Im edging on the side of caution and avoiding it.

horsetrader
04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
I feel like a jerk for pointing out stuff,,, Willow, I can't figure out if your boat is aluminum or fibreglass. If it's aluminum, get all the pretreated lumber out asap and get treated lumber that doesn't have any copper in the treatment. When the treatment leaches out from getting wet (which it will) it will eat through your hull, and quite quickly at that,, copper and aluminum are arch enemies regarding watercraft. Sorry.

If you're ever in Vansewer or more notably reed Point Marina in Port Moody, there are a few huge private yachts, one is called "Deep Pockets". When the owner was retrofitting it he hired regular electricians who while wiring kept clipping off their excess and letting in drop wherever. Some clipping ended up in the lower hull/bulkheads and after months of trying to figure out why there was tons of water coming on, it was found to be thousands of pinholes from where the copper from those clippings ate through the hull. The Yacht next to his is Jimmy Pattisons.

Ya Willow is ok his boat is fibreglass. You do bring up a good point not to many know about copper and alum. definitely a no no good catch. when I did mine I did all sub framing in cedar. was a little more money but only wanted to do it once

Willowtrail
04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah, like Trader said, its fiberglass, inside and out. Got the inside floor in today and the paint inside 1st coat done. Going out in a few hours to hit it with another coat. Here are some updated pics.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110421-00106.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110421-00107.jpg

Tomorrow carpet and then the seats go back in.

Willowtrail
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Got some progress today. Carpet going in.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110422-00108.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110422-00114.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110422-00115.jpg

Now just some more carpet on the other bench/table and then mount the Scotty mounts and the swivel chairs.

:acigar:

Kim473
04-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Looking very nice!
How long is that baby? Hope you have a trailor because of the extra weight.

Willowtrail
04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Its a 14'. I got a brand new e z loader last year because my old trailer was a pos. I really haven't added a lot of extra weigh. Without the motor I would guess maybe 100 lbs went into it. Didn't even use 2 full sheets of 3/8" plywood. Maybe 1 1/2 sheets. Roll of carpet and 4 2x4's. A bit of paint and a bit of glue.

I'm going to make a bildge pump of some sort and probably mount it permanantly under the back seat and run a hose to the lowest point.

This project is so much fun and I recommend it to anyone. If your a little bit handy and are thinking about it I say do it. There were a few compound mitres during the framing but other than that its pretty straight forward. On a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate at about 6 for difficulty. The sky is the limit.

Braun, enjoy doing your boat, yout going to have a blast. Take lots of pictures and have fun

Willowtrail
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Wel the inside is finally 99% done. Al it needs now are a few touchups and a couple vents in the bow storage.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110423-00120.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110423-00121.jpg

Now I need to flip it over and give her a few coats of paint. Any sugestions on type of paint? I'm thinking an oil based Marine enamel. Any better options?

gramps73
04-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Nice work, looks like you sure know what you are doing.
Nice looking rig..

Willowtrail
04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Nice work, looks like you sure know what you are doing.
Nice looking rig..

First time doing something like this. I am a renovation contractor so I have experience with some of the stuff but some was a first. I had a blast doing it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Anyone need help or want their boat done?

Braun
04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
ya well my project is coming to a screeching halt. Im going to tear apart the lower leg of my motor. Upon closer inspection, the guy who had this before me has had it apart before and im really not liking what I am seeing. Too bad you are in edmonton, When it comes to the renos I could definitely use a hand. we will see how things look when I get the lower leg apart. I am hoping its going to all be there and better than I'm expecting.

I did carpentry for a couple years and prior to that I worked in a high end wood shop. So the reno really shouldnt be out of my ability. Its just more if i have all the right tools to do the tasks properly at a good quality (the tools in the garage are not all that great of condition)

gramps73
04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
First time doing something like this. I am a renovation contractor so I have experience with some of the stuff but some was a first. I had a blast doing it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Anyone need help or want their boat done?

Wow
You might not get to use that boat if you keep offering boat renos..lol

Willowtrail
04-23-2011, 10:39 PM
ya well my project is coming to a screeching halt. Im going to tear apart the lower leg of my motor. Upon closer inspection, the guy who had this before me has had it apart before and im really not liking what I am seeing. Too bad you are in edmonton, When it comes to the renos I could definitely use a hand. we will see how things look when I get the lower leg apart. I am hoping its going to all be there and better than I'm expecting.

I did carpentry for a couple years and prior to that I worked in a high end wood shop. So the reno really shouldnt be out of my ability. Its just more if i have all the right tools to do the tasks properly at a good quality (the tools in the garage are not all that great of condition)

That sucks on the leg. I hope it's alright. Did you get that repair manual from Horsetrader?

When it came to tools I didn't use too many. Drill, olfa knife, table saw, jig saw, level or straight edge and a few other little knick nacks. You shouldn't have any trouble with your background.

Whats your budget on your project? Just curious. I haven't added up exactly but I'd guess about $275 went into mine but I did have some stuff already. It was the 50+ hours that would have cost the most. All I have left now is another gallon of enamel paint.

chubbdarter
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM

braun what make and year?

Braun
04-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I havent really outright set a budget on it fully. Just trying to keep it as low as possible. I am also adding a couple extra things remember. money Ive already spent:

2 new seats = $40
box i will use for the livewell = $20
Starter solenoid, spark plugs = $20
rod holders and rod storage = $35

Carpet will be about 40
construction materials probably 30-40
then the seat brackets will be more expensive but i will add more as i go and just start out with just the 2 spots then add more deck mounts.
Ive priced out all my bilge stuff and thats only going to be 20-30.
then eventually the livewell, another 25

all in all not really that expensive. but i have done alot of searching to find prices and ways to keep cost down. there is probably a good sum of misc other things i will need like hinges glue and stuff like that. Like i said I am doing things slowly over time. I dont really have a budget to go out and do everything in one shot so finishing up alot of the things like bilge and livewell is going to be done slowly. we will see how things go with the motor

Braun
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
braun what make and year?

Well i thought i had that figured out but now I am starting to get it conflicted. I can not find the serial no. on the motor. Probably just because I dont recognize it when I am looking for it. but its a 1968/71 mercury 65 hp 4cylinder motor. Merc 650 four is what the model is called on the motor. once I have more time to look at it, and get that book in the mail horse trader sent me I will get it figured out the exact year and specs.

Kokanee9
04-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Have a look around on the transom mounting bracket. Something with about 7 digits. Should be stamped into the metal. Send me a pm when you find it.

Jwood 456
04-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Awseome job on the boat so far Willowtrail. Looks a like a quality boat from a major and quality manfacturer.

BTW My old man and I were contemplating building an aluminum 24ft boat for the big lakes and fishing the BC coast in the summer. The aluminum was so expensive though, it was ufeasible and then just planned on buying a used fiberglass boat.

Kim473
04-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Great job! A tip. You can make some small shelfs under the back benches and look at say the fishing hole or someplace and put in some perminate hook storage units under there that slide out. A buddy did that and its great cause he filled them up and just leaves it all in there all the time. No moving of tackle boxes all the time. Your seat is facing the one and it would be right infront of you, say two units about 2 inches deep with a bunch of dividers in them.

ragweed
04-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Very nice Braun. Hopefully we will bump into each other over the summer.

Gust
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Brauno,
I am going to see a boat someone has in Turner Valley after I get back from GP. It's a 14' deepV Hurston (<?sp) and has a working 50 hp/cover and trailer. And a friends Dad (also a good friend) has a 70's 16 foot fibreglass skiboat with an older Johnson in mint condition (he's 84 and the boat is just sitting). My neighbor is upgrading and has a 50 mercury (older model) to move,,, if worse comes to worse, we'll line up 3/15hp's. Do you have a tacometer? If others are interested after I figure out Braun, drop me a line if I'm on your mail list in PM.

We'll get you on the water after you ace the exams and before you buy an old farmhouse between Badger, Travers, MacGregor and Keho. So get studying and get off the AOF board, everyone will still be here to update you on the fishin and if you get to where you want in Life, I'll be knocking at your door for a job.

Seriously, if you're online between now and Thursday, I won't go to Teurner Valley or make an offer to my neighbor or talk to my friends Dad.

Braun
04-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Brauno,
I am going to see a boat someone has in Turner Valley after I get back from GP. It's a 14' deepV Hurston (<?sp) and has a working 50 hp/cover and trailer. And a friends Dad (also a good friend) has a 70's 16 foot fibreglass skiboat with an older Johnson in mint condition (he's 84 and the boat is just sitting). My neighbor is upgrading and has a 50 mercury (older model) to move,,, if worse comes to worse, we'll line up 3/15hp's. Do you have a tacometer? If others are interested after I figure out Braun, drop me a line if I'm on your mail list in PM.

We'll get you on the water after you ace the exams and before you buy an old farmhouse between Badger, Travers, MacGregor and Keho. So get studying and get off the AOF board, everyone will still be here to update you on the fishin and if you get to where you want in Life, I'll be knocking at your door for a job.

Seriously, if you're online between now and Thursday, I won't go to Teurner Valley or make an offer to my neighbor or talk to my friends Dad.

that post was almost more confusing than one of FH7s :1041: I will send you a pm askin you to explain what you are talking about.......

buying an old farmhouse between travers, mcgregor and badger would be great. although there would be better fishing if I chase nicemustang east.

Gust
04-24-2011, 01:50 PM
To Simplify;

I'm looking at 3 boats with motors (to get you on the waterfor nothing or less than a hun).

Get your degree in business and forget about your hobby till Thursday, or focus on your hobby and keep working for many years in the field and end up with bolts in your spine like me.

And don't follow Mustang, as there aren't any mountains in Saskatchewan.

Capiche?

Turn AOF off

Braun
04-24-2011, 02:09 PM
ah, but there are wheat fields and lakes with big eyes. but i guess your right, if I follow stang, that means I will have to put up with his chit on a saskatchewan fishing forum. HA.

ill email you.

BobLoblaw
04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
To Simplify;

I'm looking at 3 boats with motors (to get you on the waterfor nothing or less than a hun).

Get your degree in business and forget about your hobby till Thursday, or focus on your hobby and keep working for many years in the field and end up with bolts in your spine like me.

And don't follow Mustang, as there aren't any mountains in Saskatchewan.

Capiche?

Turn AOF off

If this forum had a "LIKE" button, I'd be clicking it now.
Nicely said, Gustav; you're good people!

Willowtrail
04-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Went through quit the runaround trying to find a marine paint for the waterside of the boat. I was told by a few people to use marine grade epoxy. Then when I went to pick it up they said thats not good for the waterside, only the deckside. I called many places, commercial, industrial, no one had anything. Finally I called Walls Alive in Edmonton and they had an epoxy 2 part that requires a 1 to 1 mix and fills small imperfections and is a one coat application. They said it goes on thick and should look good when done. Tonight I will prep any bigger imperfections and sand out later and be ready for paint tomorrow night.

The epoxy is really thick and requires to be rolled and brushed on. Too thick to spray.

great white whaler
04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Went through quit the runaround trying to find a marine paint for the waterside of the boat. I was told by a few people to use marine grade epoxy. Then when I went to pick it up they said thats not good for the waterside, only the deckside. I called many places, commercial, industrial, no one had anything. Finally I called Walls Alive in Edmonton and they had an epoxy 2 part that requires a 1 to 1 mix and fills small imperfections and is a one coat application. They said it goes on thick and should look good when done. Tonight I will prep any bigger imperfections and sand out later and be ready for paint tomorrow night.

The epoxy is really thick and requires to be rolled and brushed on. Too thick to spray.

use a little paint reducer,,,,reduce 25 %,,than its sprayable .

great white whaler
04-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Wel the inside is finally 99% done. Al it needs now are a few touchups and a couple vents in the bow storage.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110423-00120.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Boat%20Overhaul/IMG-20110423-00121.jpg

Now I need to flip it over and give her a few coats of paint. Any sugestions on type of paint? I'm thinking an oil based Marine enamel. Any better options?
nice work

Braun
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM

What did you pay for a bucket of that stuff? I would assume it would cost whichever of your children that doesnt like to fish (the ones that like fishing are more valuable). But no seriously. using an epoxy type paint would work alot better than anything else on the market. let me know if you have enough left over to paint another boat ;)

I am getting so stoked for my boat. I decided that I am going to do the decks and storage this weekend. It will be a great treat after doing 4 exams in 48 hours (3 of which are within 24hours). I am picking up my wood and carpet sat morning and will probably have at least one of the decks done by the end of the day. do the other on sunday. + the hatches and stuff.

Gust
04-27-2011, 10:21 PM

I don't know if you picked it up yet or what your budget is ( maybe go splits with a bunch of forum guys/gals) but Endura from Edmonton is very stellar, it's used on helicopters/airplanes and trident subs, seriously. Here's the trick, not sure if they told you about the rolling and brushing but; does your "paint" come with a primer, if not you may end up with blistering. Another thing is the roller should be one of those smooth foam ones about 4" long,, mix small batches exactly as recommended and roll a thin coat then immediately drag a good quality soft bristle brush over the area you just rolled,, the whole job should run you about two hours. the key to a good finish is to have your work space about 70 farenheit and about 35% humidity not super dry, AND DON'T USE a fan or blowing heater for drying, you'll get an orange peel finish which (ironically) is great for more glide on the water but allows for greater deterioration of the paint. If you went to the Endura factory, they'd probably give you a great deal for the size of your project.

Gust
04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I think it's a 2 part polyurethane??? very durable and flexible

Willowtrail
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Right on Braun, have fun. It ran me $120 for a gallon of A and a gallon of B. The guy that I talked to has used it personally and filled me in on all the what and how.

I sanded the whole boat tonight and put some filler on any of the chipped spots. Will sand the filler tomorrow and get all the dust off. He said not to thin to spray. It goes on very thick and fills in any small blemishes. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow or friday.

There will be pictures to follow. There might be some left over Braun. Not sure how much I'll use. Only needs one coat. It's dark grey. Darker than the inside.

tasco
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I used a product from cloverdale paint called Clovamastic (only available at the industrial store, and I do not know if it is available to just anyone). It was a 2 part epoxy but it was a low temp slow cure, which gave me a longer working time with the product. Some how my epoxy job sagged a bit here and there, and I got a little orange pealing going on here and there. But hey it's my first go at it

I was easy to mix up, easy to apply with a brush but just hard to get flat,

here is the link for the product http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/info/pdf_tds_in/h30-0026.pdf

Willowtrail
04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Hey Tasco, Got any pictures of your rig?

Freedom55
04-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Endura paint contains isocyanates. They are carcenogenic and will disrupt the cells in your lungs that converts the air you breath into the oxygen you require to live. Wear a two stage respirator and work in a well ventilated area if you use this product.
Years ago we went from lacquer to acrylic enamel to plastic paint and each was progressively more aggressive at killing autobody painters.

TyreeUM
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
good work buddy, we are gutting ours at the moment, and if ours turns out half this good we will be happy...thanks for all the pictures it has given us so good ideas

tasco
04-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Here are some pics of what I have done.This is a 12 ft fiberglass boat I stripped the boat down to just the fiberglass hull and patched up all the holes on the bottom (someone decided to float it down the highwood river and did some damage to the bottom going over rocks) . I replaced the Transom b/c it was rotten, replaced the fiberglass seats with wooden ones that I can open and use for storage. . After I patched her up I coated the outside with 1.5 gallons of clovamastic epoxy from cloverdale paint, I then painted the inside with a latex elastomeric paint called Towerthon from cloverdale, this stuff turnes to a rubber like coating and seems to be non slippery when wet, it also takes about 2 weeks to properly cure, Towerthon is normaly used as a stucco paint. I just used left over products that I had laying around the shop that I may have used for some other projects on the farm.

On the back I have a 9.9 hp 1991 model 2 stroke merc.

I hope I don't get to many comments on my nice epoxy brush job, The epoxy started getting away on me and then started to sag, tricky stuff to work with, and mayby I should have thinned it a little

I still need to properly outfit the boat with rod holders, and sonar.

I also need a trailer because I think I added about a 100 lbs to the boat in materials, but since there is still ice on the lakes not to much of a hurry yet

Braun
04-28-2011, 01:39 PM
nice work tasco, who cares what the bottom looks like. it wont leak. that is a great little machine

Willowtrail
04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Well folks, I got the hull painted tonight. What a task that was. Mixing the hardener took over 10 minutes to get consistent. It sure started of thick. I taped off the aluminum and sanded the bondo. Mixed the 2 parts together and waited 15 minutes.

Once ready I cut in around the edges with a brush and then rolled out the rest of the boat with a 9" roller. I noticed that if I wanted to go over a spot for a second time it worked better with fresh paint on the roller.

Here are the latest updates, some old and then new.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110428-00168.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110428-00172.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110428-00170.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110428-00173.jpg

Braun
04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
sweet jubus it looks like a grey phantom. lol Please tell me you have lots left over. HA! looks really really good. nice work.

tasco
04-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm jealous, I should have used a roller also. Nice job

Willowtrail
04-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Here's another shot.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110428-00167.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110428-00171.jpg

Willowtrail
04-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks Tasco.

Braun its your lucky day. I maybe used 1/3 of a gallon of each.

PM me and we can talk about it

Braun
04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
60 bucks a pop for each part of the resin though. thats crazy. eventually I will do my boat. those are some sweet gouges you filled with bondo on that lower pic

Braun
04-29-2011, 11:39 PM
4 exams in 48 hours, 16 hours of work, 2 pots of coffee, countless hours of studying............... And its all done now. tomorrow is the big day for my project. so excited.

Willowtrail
05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Braun, how did the weekend build go? You got any updates or pictures? You need to get it done so you can plow some ice.

Braun
05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
the weekend build went slow. Every time I finished something i was like, Oh, I should do that. Created more and more work as I went. The coolest thing is I decided to build a rod locker on the one side. Ive been takin my time and trying to do a really good job that I will be happy with. Stay tuned, I'm going to post pictures soon. bow is all framed in, going to be sheeted and carpeted tonight. the back is mostly framed, but hoping to get it carpeted tonight too. In other words, shes almost done(looks wise on the inside. I will still have to install bilgem livewell, fishfinder, other accessories. but the major construction will be done hopefully tonight.). With the color of the interior though, The exterior looks that much worse.

mszomola
05-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Thats looking great !!

You can totally just get wired into this kinda stuff and create all sorts of extra work for yourself as you go along . Just keep reminding yourself how rad its going to be when you hit the water !

Mr.twister
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
X2
think how awsome it will be, You built it by yourself and your goin to slay the fish in somthing you created!!

Walleyes
05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Looks like a heck of a project.. Enjoying the pics and keep up the good work.