PDA

View Full Version : what can i use

gui
04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
i was wondering what i can use when you go to lakes that has trout and that is bait ban...not for flie fishing. because i try all kinds of things and the trout and they wont touch my hooks... beside i hate bait ban... its wierd

huntsfurfish
04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Try casting panther martin or mepp spinners.

You could also try a float(torpedo) and fly combo as well.

Small spoons also work well.

They do work its all I use(plus fly fish). Havent used bait for trout in years.:)

Braun
04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
rapalas, spoons, panther martin / mepps spinners. small buzz bombs also work really well. bait is not needed for fishing. baitfishing is only a tool in a fishermans arsenal.

walleyechaser
04-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Rapala countdowns in rainbow or brown trout pattern. Vary speeds, but slow seems good most of the time.

Joes flies for spinning retrieve just fast enough that it doesn't snag the bottom.

Any spinners with flashy bright colours working best, my favorite been mepps aglia size 1 in rainbow pattern. Fast erratic action often works, but slow produces best over all for me.

Any silver,bronze,gold,blue patterns work most of the time. Try different locations, speed and most impotantly size/weight. Often very small lures are the only ones that produce.

Hope that helps

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
size 3-5 RNTR countdowns.
pather martin spinners
jigs
spoons
anything small that resembles something!

Fishfinder
04-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Try casting panther martin or mepp spinners.

You could also try a float(torpedo) and fly combo as well.

Small spoons also work well.

They do work its all I use(plus fly fish). Havent used bait for trout in years.:)

x2 on all suggestions. A slow to medium reeling speed is the way to go right now too imo. It's not all about the lure, it's also how u present it.
Cheers n GL!

Daceminnow
04-17-2011, 04:22 PM
all great hardware posted above. you didn't say if you're a shore or boat fisherman. one of my favorite trolling lures for trout is the flatfish in size f7. try the frog, silver/blue, and black w/ metal fleck patterns. great to use with kids also because the pulsating action on your rod tip tells you that your lure is running properly. no vibrating tip reel in and untangle or remove weeds.

Dace.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
in spring keep the reteive slow in summer speed it up and fall dont be afriad to just kill your line into your reel.

chubbdarter
04-17-2011, 04:29 PM
in spring keep the reteive slow in summer speed it up and fall dont be afriad to just kill your line into your reel.

kids and their new fangled words.....is kill= to burn?

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:31 PM
it started last year when my dad hallerd to get in the car so i reeled the rest of my line in realy fast and a nice brown came right up and hit it. lots the lure the brown wasnt a giangantic 30 incher mabe 24inches but lost the lure when he grabed it. since that i started reelign in faster but i have lots of technques in my arsonale.

densa44
04-17-2011, 04:32 PM
The advice is very good, small spinners work well in spring clear water.

Try 4 lbs test or lighter, you may lose some but they are less likely to see the line.

Lakes that have bait bans see a LOT of spinners, do you have a fly rod?

If so try a willow leaf or Colorado spinner with a wet fly behind, a silver doctor, professor, maybe even a grey ghost, or muddler. You get way more casts and the lure doesn't come back to the same spot all the time.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:33 PM
the spot is under the black bridge in city center calgary in late summer

Kim473
04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
i was wondering what i can use when you go to lakes that has trout and that is bait ban...not for flie fishing. because i try all kinds of things and the trout and they wont touch my hooks... beside i hate bait ban... its wierd

I have fished with a fly trailing a small set of flashers, about 6 or so and had good luck before. I dont know what you call it tho but it imitates small minnows swiming or something. Set the fly about 6 feet behind it and troll. We used it just padelling slow in a 10 foot flat bottom. One pull of the oars and wait about 5 seconds then another, very slow troll. About one mph. Worked really good at Carson a few years back.

Daceminnow
04-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I have fished with a fly trailing a small set of flashers, about 6 or so and had good luck before. I dont know what you call it tho but it imitates small minnows swiming or something. Set the fly about 6 feet behind it and troll. We used it just padelling slow in a 10 foot flat bottom. One pull of the oars and wait about 5 seconds then another, very slow troll. About one mph. Worked really good at Carson a few years back.

willowleaf. try tipping the fly with a piece of worm also.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 04:51 PM
dace he said a place where there is a bait ban :snapoutofit:
so i dont think worms would count. but yeah that works great on lakes without bait bans

Daceminnow
04-17-2011, 04:55 PM
dace he said a place where there is a bait ban :snapoutofit:
so i dont think worms would count. but yeah that works great on lakes without bait bans

whoops. leave the worm off. did i spell it right?

walleyechaser
04-17-2011, 06:36 PM
could use a wedding band at the end.... works just as good

Doc
04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Check out these two articles. Use a torpedo bobber with your spinning rod instead of a quick release indicator with a fly rod and you'll be good to go.

Finding The Strike Zone (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/fly-fishing-techniques-for-trout/2011/01/depth-for-trout/)

Multi Fly Presentations (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/fly-fishing-techniques-for-trout/2011/01/multi-fly-pattern-presentations/)

Cheers,
Doc