PDA

View Full Version : Fish patterns..

OttCan
04-17-2011, 08:49 PM
So I've been wondering lately if trout have similar qualites of walleye, bass, pike and such... Like do you notice you catch more fish when there's a warm front as opposed to a cold front. or even barometric pressure has a role..? As for the fronts...do you notice you're catching more fish on smaller baits on a slower retrieve and larger baits on warm fronts..

I'm just trying to get info on how trout react to weather patterns like other types of fish..

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:56 PM
i was using a 9cm shinny rainbow trout on a slow reteive and the bow hammered it not on the tail like howtheyre supposed to but right at the head!

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 08:57 PM
if the weathers crappy i stick to big shinny and slow tight to cover but this is only for browns

Cal
04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
i was using a 9cm shinny rainbow trout on a slow reteive and the bow hammered it not on the tail like howtheyre supposed to but right at the head!

Realy? You think they usualy hit the tail?

As far as the type of patterns that the OP is talking about my findings have been that just befor and sometimes right through a cold front pike and walleye will feed heavily. After the cold front things usualy slow down pretty good. Not sure if this effects trout as much but walleye, and especily pike, seem to follow this pattern fairly predictibly in my experience. I find this pattern as well as water clarity are far more important than any of that moon phase voodoo that some guys swear by.

OttCan
04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Realy? You think they usualy hit the tail?

As far as the type of patterns that the OP is talking about my findings have been that just befor and sometimes right through a cold front pike and walleye will feed heavily. After the cold front things usualy slow down pretty good. Not sure if this effects trout as much but walleye, and especily pike, seem to follow this pattern fairly predictibly in my experience. I find this pattern as well as water clarity are far more important than any of that moon phase voodoo that some guys swear by.

Ya, Ive fished alot for pike and walleye...They can be quite predictable usually. In Ottawa, its was best to fish the five day window around the new moon...two before, day of and two after...almost always produced! and you could catch them anywhere, bridge pillings were one of the hottest...

Im just wondering about trout, Im not that familiar with them, as I havent really targeted them back in Ontario...

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 09:25 PM
that brown that was 22-23 inches had no fight in him he just came in.
and yeah over 65% of the trout hit on the tail for me thats why i use spoons

Cal
04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
To me it seems like trout dont react as much to weather as warm water species. I mostly fish for trout in streams though and I think that river fish in general seem to be less influenced by weather and moon phases so maby pothole trout are different.

I never realy thought about how a trout hits a lure, I just assumed they struck across the body or to the head like other fish. I recently started using small rapalas and I hook lots of fish on the front hook.

Dust1n
04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
dpends what kind of trout browns respond realy well while cutts dont mind it as much