PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Schools

Gneisenau
04-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Hello,

I have just started fly fishing and I was wondering if anybody knew of any place that offered beginning fly fishing classes. I have noticed that county pleasures offers them but a few people told me not to go through them as they said the owner had ripped them off. Do these stories have credit? Has anyone here gone through them?

Thanks!

DuckBrat
04-17-2011, 09:14 PM
What area of the Province are you located?

Gneisenau
04-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Sorry, I am in Calgary.

Daceminnow
04-17-2011, 09:19 PM
these folks get really good reviews.

http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/index1.htm

Willowtrail
04-17-2011, 11:51 PM
The Fishin Hole has a 2 day over night trip some time in April I think. Those dates may get postponed but I can't remember the dates. The trip is around Rocky but sounds awesome. You arrive Friday and get all your meals and accomodation until Sunday and 2 days on the water. Check out your local Fishin Hole for info.

Mish@
04-18-2011, 12:44 AM
The best way to go if money allow is fish the bow with a guide. It has to be a good guide tho. Otherwise Country Pleasures offers courses of reading the water matching the hatch and fly tying :) You could stop by at wholesale sports and we could give you a few buisiness cards of some awesome guide :)
I hope this helps

ÜberFly
04-18-2011, 05:52 AM
All the fly shops offer courses as well as City Parks & Rec and the U of C (dates differ dramatically). Never heard that about Country Pleasures - from what I know, Mike's a pretty stand up guy, (hearing about something 2nd hand doesn't necessarily make it's true). One class that I've heard good things about is Hansen's boot camp (I have no affiliation with them or any other shop) and you get a basic fly rod, reel, line, etc. Jim & Linda McLennan's course is top notch but very pricey.

They are pretty much all going to offer the same basic info, see what dates work with your schedule, budget and location, etc.

P

retired2
04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Goldenstone Fly Fishing teaches Bow River fly fishing and has a very informative web site (www.goldenstone.ca). Being on O.A.P.($) I'm going to have to subscribe to the Public Library where there are books, videos and DVD's available. You will also find good information in some of the threads in this web site.....

Okotokian
04-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Never heard that about Country Pleasures - from what I know, Jim & Linda McLennan's course is top notch but very pricey.

I guess anything is possible, but it would be news to me. I took a beginner course a few years ago. Was either through the City or Country Pleasures, but it was taught by Jim McLennan, and he handed out discount priced equipment coupons from Country Pleasures. I believe he used to be a part-owner.

By the way, the course Jim and a couple others taught was a one day course at Fort Calgary that was extremely affordable.

bigdaddy37
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Check out the Hook and Hackle Club.

ÜberFly
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Sorry I guess I was thinking of their full on retreat which is like $800!!

http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/mclennanflyfishingschools.htm

Beginner course is about $150!

P

I guess anything is possible, but it would be news to me. I took a beginner course a few years ago. Was either through the City or Country Pleasures, but it was taught by Jim McLennan, and he handed out discount priced equipment coupons from Country Pleasures. I believe he used to be a part-owner.

By the way, the course Jim and a couple others taught was a one day course at Fort Calgary that was extremely affordable.

Photoplex
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm doing the Basic Fly Fishing course with Country Pleasures at the end of the month. Heard good things about them from some friends.

deadnutz
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I did the level II class from Fishtales Flyshop last May. Well worth the money as it was Terry doing the teaching\guiding. Full day walk and wade with 3 others. I think it was around 130 bucks.

http://www.fishtalesflyshop.com/2011/02/05/fly-fishing-level-ii/

Gneisenau
04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Wow, lots of replies. Thanks for the help guys. I will look into all these places.