PDA

View Full Version : Fast flowing rivers?

dbcooper
04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey guy's I have always had difficulty catching anything in faster flowing mountain rivers. What is the best way to fish these rivers? I usually cast upstream (and try to reel it in) but the lure/line is past me in a matter of seconds. And suggestions?

db

uplander
04-17-2011, 11:32 PM
look for the deep pools unless your fly fishing you won't have much luck in the faster water so look for back eddies and pools.

Dust1n
04-18-2011, 07:15 AM
bigger and brighter presentatios. look for seems/pools/eddies/slackwater ect/

MoFugger21
04-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey guy's I have always had difficulty catching anything in faster flowing mountain rivers. What is the best way to fish these rivers? I usually cast upstream (and try to reel it in) but the lure/line is past me in a matter of seconds. And suggestions?

db

Sounds like you're using spinning gear, correct?

If this is the case, you don't want to be casting upstream, you want to cast somewhat downstream. By casting upstream, you're going to have a great chance of snagging as the hook/lure is at the mercy of the water and you have little to no way of controlling the hook. Also, you won't get the desired action from the hook/lure.

By casting downstream, you have great control and more easily work every part/body of water you're fishing.

Typically when I'm fishing a river/stream while using spinning gear, I will cast across the river (straight across or at 45 degrees downstream) and while reeling in let the current work the hook back across. This is hard to do if casting upstream. How you "work" the river will all depend on the river you're fishing, the section of the river, and types of structure in the section.

But a good rule of thumb if using spinning gear, is to work your way downstream while casting downstream.

Hope this helps!

Braun
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you're using spinning gear, correct?

If this is the case, you don't want to be casting upstream, you want to cast somewhat downstream. By casting upstream, you're going to have a great chance of snagging as the hook/lure is at the mercy of the water and you have little to no way of controlling the hook. Also, you won't get the desired action from the hook/lure.

By casting downstream, you have great control and more easily work every part/body of water you're fishing.

Typically when I'm fishing a river/stream while using spinning gear, I will cast across the river (straight across or at 45 degrees downstream) and while reeling in let the current work the hook back across. This is hard to do if casting upstream. How you "work" the river will all depend on the river you're fishing, the section of the river, and types of structure in the section.

But a good rule of thumb if using spinning gear, is to work your way downstream while casting downstream.

Hope this helps!

YES!!!! and no. it also ultimately depends on what you are using. there are lots of different techniques. if your using stuff that floats(ie. floating rapala) then you can cast upstream and then as it floats by you twitch it. idea is to make it look like a floating dying bait fish when doing this. then when it passes you you real in slowly to get the full action of the lure. I agree with my friend above. but consider this, if you are using something that sinks and will take a while to sink (ie. a count down rapala) cast up stream and then it has time to sink. once it passes you and the current is pulling on it, it will raise back up to the surface as you real in. I fish a very fast section of the bowand i do this with my CDs. it may seem kind of pointless because it sinks and then passes you and then comes back to the surface. In my opinion, it sure as hell doesnt hurt my chances of getting detected by a fish. If anything it gets low and can be spotted easier and then has the fish's attention for when the lure starts working. same thing if using lighter spinners with a split shot. In this case, they dont work well at the surface and once the current pulls on them, thats where they are going. cast upstream to let it sink. then you will get more depth on your retrieve. I do also know some guys ho do well just casting spinners upstream and letting them bounce on the rocks.

TyreeUM
04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I like using streamers in fast moving water and swinging them through the current downstream...works really well for me

Braun
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I like using streamers in fast moving water and swinging them through the current downstream...works really well for me

on fly gear or spin with split shots?

densa44
04-18-2011, 04:07 PM
If you want to try fly fishing, Alberta is paradise. You can fish a very large weighted nymph up stream and when you get the hang of it will notice the subtle takes. These are not slashing hits like on the surface, the fish will "try" the bait and then spit out the fakes.

In the fast water the large rocks on the bottom that don't even break the surface will hold a fish or two behind them, work it so your nymph slides over the rock and then down toward the bottom. Be ready at all times.

Some of the members are very good tyers, a dragon fly nymph will work great at this time of year.

Keep at it. You don't have to be able to cast far, but keep practicing.

TyreeUM
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
on fly gear or spin with split shots?

Fly gear, also small spinners work as well this way too

dbcooper
04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Lots of good tips. Thanks

I'm using spin tackle (panther martens, Len Thompson spoons). Don't fly fish... yet. I always thought that the best practice was to cast up stream. But seems everyone has an idea which is good.

On the rivers i'm referring to I doubt I would notice a strike anyways (with the current, rocks, logs ect). In fact it almost seems like i catch fish by accident (when I do catch one).

Thanks to all who posted

db

Braun
04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Lots of good tips. Thanks

I'm using spin tackle (panther martens, Len Thompson spoons). Don't fly fish... yet. I always thought that the best practice was to cast up stream. But seems everyone has an idea which is good.

On the rivers i'm referring to I doubt I would notice a strike anyways (with the current, rocks, logs ect). In fact it almost seems like i catch fish by accident (when I do catch one).

Thanks to all who posted

db

I have some questions for you that might produce some more detailed suggestions on things to try. .....

how fast is fast to you? faster than the bow? slower? how deep are the sections for fish? is it like sheep river deep or is it like bow? in between?