PDA

View Full Version : Lake Newel Spring Pike.

Mish@
04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Hello everyone! I live in Calgary and I can't wait to fish for them spring Pike. Im heading to Lake Newel in a couple of weeks. Never fished that particular lake before I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good lures or techniques I could use while I am there. I always use rapala crank baits such as husky jerks and taildancers. I always have a good variety of len thompson and pelican spoons and Mepps spinners. Basicly general stuff. I try to avoid using bait. (Not cool) I would appreciate if anyone could give me a better idea about the lake. I am going to be fishing from a canoe.

Many thanks!
Happy fishing!

WayneChristie
04-18-2011, 07:16 AM
make sure you check the forecast for wind, Newell gets big waves in a hurry. Everything you mentioned should work, as well as storm wildeyes and spinnerbaits around and in the weeds. Still a lot of ice on the lake, check back before you go, it may still be frozen over.

Kokanee9
04-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Pay attention to what Wayne is saying. That water will be cold and the wind can come up there. Keep your life jackets on.
As for fishing, I don't think you should have to go too deep - 6-15 ft should be plenty. The stuff you have should be fine to use.

Mish@
04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. Yes I am aware of the ice and the wind. If the weather seems a bit harsh I will try to avoid it. I am going only in two weeks and the weather seems to be getting better as of today. Thus im expecting the lake to be ice free by the end of april :) Thank you guys for your help.

P.S. What spoon patterns Tend to work the best there? I dont care about the price :)

rielbowhunter
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
I just hope its good to go on Maylong! I plan to fish then.

Mish@
04-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Should be around +10 +15 degrees :)

walking buffalo
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I just hope its good to go on Maylong! I plan to fish then.

Every Albertan knows it Always snows on the Maylong. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
I did ok just trolling a gold wobbler behind my inflatable, havent fished it much in open water tho, I dont like canoeing or pontooning in 5 foot swells :scared0018:
I do intend on fishing it more this year, I want a rematch with one of the pike I missed a couple months ago. I have just way too many choices of fishing spots around here, it can be quite stressful trying to decide which lake to hit somedays :sHa_shakeshout: There are some smaller lakes nearby with awesome fishing, maybe the fish arent as big, but Im quite happy catching 40 or 50 pike up to 10 or 12 pounds and they are usually more canoe and small boat friendly. Is it May yet??????:angry3:

Mish@
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Yea I pretty much fished all the fair sized lakes within a 2 hr drive from calgary Except Newell. The one I like the most is Twin. If u could come at the right time u could catch up to 20 fish in an hour

Jwood 456
04-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Every Albertan knows it Always snows on the Maylong. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lol yeah it seems like that trend has been happening in the last 3 years so far. I remember the may long weekend of 2005 was an exception though. The weather was hot sunny and 30 above.

Mish@
04-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I hope that is the case! :angry3:

WayneChristie
04-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Ive seen a couple lakes go from ice covered to wide open overnight in a good wind, but there is an awful lot of ice left on Newell. I will keep my eye on it
. that water is going to be pretty cold for a while unless it starts to warm up around here.

Mish@
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Yes! That would be great if you post the conditions later ;)