PDA

View Full Version : Old Reels That Never Die

tacklerunner
04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I kid you not! This mid '70s Diawa GS9 salt water reel purchased at the White Elephant in Spokane WA in 1978 for around $150 US has over 15,000 hours on it, maybe significantly more, and has been used regularly for over 30 years. It has pulled in 1000s and 1000s of Gerard Rainbow, Kokanee, Chinook, Coho, Halibut and other bottom fish. I cleaned it up and lubed it last year and rebuilt the original rod it was on (no idea of brand) and presented it to my Dad on Father's Day last year. My brother stole it back and still uses it on Kootenay Lake to this day. Was popular in New Zealand for beach fishing in the 70's.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/daiwa-GS9.jpg

Any other stories like this about the old Diawa and Mitchells etc?

Elk Chaser
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Abu Garcia Cardinal open face, bought in Great Falls in 1979, made in Finland, all brass gears, no plastic and still going strong.

gramps73
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
the old Mitchell 300, got one from my dad about 30 years ago and still works like a dream..

Dust1n
04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I kid you not! This mid '70s Diawa GS9 salt water reel purchased at the White Elephant in Spokane WA in 1978 for around $150 US has over 15,000 hours on it, maybe significantly more, and has been used regularly for over 30 years. It has pulled in 1000s and 1000s of Gerard Rainbow, Kokanee, Chinook, Coho, Halibut and other bottom fish. I cleaned it up and lubed it last year and rebuilt the original rod it was on (no idea of brand) and presented it to my Dad on Father's Day last year. My brother stole it back and still uses it on Kootenay Lake to this day. Was popular in New Zealand for beach fishing in the 70's.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/daiwa-GS9.jpg

Any other stories like this about the old Diawa and Mitchells etc?

White elephant is were i stock up on fishing rods and odd fishing supplies.
i like the layout on the store with all there guns hanging over head as you pay haha.cheap prices FTW

AxeMan
04-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Mitchell 301A. 25 years and still hauling in fish.

Drewski Canuck
04-19-2011, 08:44 PM
D.A.M. Quick. No really!!! anyone having one of these old german reels from the 1980's know what I am talking about. The other reel in Closed Face would be the Johnson Century. These little green reels are amazing.

Jwood 456
04-19-2011, 08:49 PM
My grandpa had a Daiwa salt water that has been around alot longer than me. My grandpa then passed the reel down to my Dad. That reel has reeled in a 60lb chinnok salmon to probably thousands of other fish. That reel was bought brand new in the early 80s. All thats had to be replaced on it, was a line bail roller lip. That reel I can swear was bulit like a tank and still runs great today. That reel also seems to a lucky reel and catch the most fish.lol

I think it would literally take a car crusher to even dent that thing.(Jk):sHa_sarcasticlol:

That reel has been around so long it is basically a familly heirloom now.

Cal
04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
D.A.M. Quick. No really!!! anyone having one of these old german reels from the 1980's know what I am talking about. The other reel in Closed Face would be the Johnson Century. These little green reels are amazing.

I have a D.A.M. Reel but not the quick. From what I could find out about it it was made in Japan, pretty tough reel but not as tough as the Quick.

calgarygringo
04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
I have a green old Century somewhere and a newer black one. The black I occasionally hook up to an ice line but the green is in the antique dept. I also have a real oldie Shakespeare Criterion with a date stamp of 1950 on it. Was passed down the line from my grandpa and my dad and still works fine as well. I have another big reel I fished out of the Red River at Lockport when I was a kid.Looks like one you should use for fish that are not in these parts. Was in perfect shape just needed drying out and a lube job. I tried it a few times at Chin for monster pike fishing and thought it was overkill so put it in the shed. Would be perfect for Salmon or some deep sea fishing would be best. It goes back at least 35-40 years when I fished it out and still looks close to new.
And yes I never throw anything out.......

pikergolf
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Abu Garcia 5600 bait caster, just gets smoother.

singleshotom
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
I have two Dam Quick's one larger type and one about the same as my old Mitchell 300's. I bought them all from a catalog company from Manitoba or Ontario we used to get in the late 60's early 70's .. cant remember the name of the company.
Great reels and still dam reliable .
SST