PDA

View Full Version : Crankbaits

Mish@
04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Hello guys. What are your favourite crankbaits for pike?

Albertafisher
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
X-rap Jerk-baits.

Mish@
04-20-2011, 05:13 PM
any specific color to them? I know chrome blue drives em nuts

Dust1n
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
blue and chrome is the FH7 Special they love it.
redheads
firetiger
jerkbaits.
6 inch jointed chubbs
and the biggest size in orginal floater in rainbwo trout.

Albertafisher
04-20-2011, 05:47 PM
any specific color to them? I know chrome blue drives em nuts

Any natural colors; i.e. Perch, sucker, and whitefish. I try to stick to a natural presentation. I use radical colors when the water is murky, or the pike are really aggressive.
Speaking of natural presentation, I think those livetarget jerkbaits would be pretty awesome, just they cost 5 dollars more than a regular jerkbait :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Willowtrail
04-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Floating Jointed Rapala's. Perch or firetiger

Dust1n
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Any natural colors; i.e. Perch, sucker, and whitefish. I try to stick to a natural presentation. I use radical colors when the water is murky, or the pike are really aggressive.
Speaking of natural presentation, I think those livetarget jerkbaits would be pretty awesome, just they cost 5 dollars more than a regular jerkbait :sHa_sarcasticlol:

if you dont let the fish get a good look at your jerkbait your fine as long as it gives off a flash of distres.

CantThinkOfAName
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
X-Rap & Huskyjerk.
White or Silver.

Cal
04-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I like the original floaters and jointed plugs the best, have you ever watched what a suspending plug does when you attatch a steel leader to it? It sure doesnt behave natrualy thats for sure, suspending plugs are a waste of money unless you wanny tie directly to them.

walleyechaser
04-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Husky jerk gold and black pattern. X-rap in most colours. Taildancer in pearl. The bleeding minnow colours work really well. Original floater in the blue/silver pattern ais great too. Use the rapala knot, do not use steel leaders, steel leaders ruin the action of most fish imitation baits

Albertafisher
04-20-2011, 06:27 PM
if you dont let the fish get a good look at your jerkbait your fine as long as it gives off a flash of distress.

I am aware, but the more natural presentation -- especially if in clear water -- is much better for producing fish than the former technique.

In some circumstances you may want to go for flashy and colorful technique, but anyone would have a higher hook-up ratio when the presentations are natural. Hands down.

I believe one of the reasons for a less natural presentation is when there is heavy fishing pressure and you need to present a lure that is not common to the fish's vision. i.e. A brush beaver (and even that imitates crayfish and such).

Cal
04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
I am aware, but the more natural presentation -- especially if in clear water -- is much better for producing fish than the former technique.

In some circumstances you may want to go for flashy and colorful technique, but anyone would have a higher hook-up ratio when the presentations are natural. Hands down.

I believe one of the reasons for a less natural presentation is when there is heavy fishing pressure and you need to present a lure that is not common to the fish's vision. i.e. A brush beaver (and even that imitates crayfish and such).

Dont worry, I'm sure he already knows all of this.:)

I suppose I should have clarifyed exactly why a suspending plug like the husky jerk acts unnatural with a leader. It usualy sinks, ocasionaly suspends, and sometimes even floats, but whatever it does it does in a vertical position with its head pointed straight at the bottom.

For patterns I like to have some natural ones and some flashy ones. I find the most important thing with crankbaits is to have one that will run at whatever the right depth is on the particular day you happen to be using them. So as well as a color selection take into account the depths you will be fishing throughout the year on the waters you usualy fish and keep that in mind.

Dust1n
04-20-2011, 06:36 PM

no im saying if the pike doesnt get a good look at the bait it triggers a aggresive instint to chase i down and grab it. so stopping the lure for slit seconds then jerk a flash to look like hes dying.
most of my tacklebox has natural colors. except for the jerkbaits.
only 1 fire tiger.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/002.jpg

Albertafisher
04-20-2011, 06:40 PM

I suppose I should have clarifyed exactly why a suspending plug like the husky jerk acts unnatural with a leader. It usualy sinks, ocasionaly suspends, and sometimes even floats, but whatever it does it does in a vertical position with its head pointed straight at the bottom.

For patterns I like to have some natural ones and some flashy ones. I find the most important thing with crankbaits is to have one that will run at whatever the right depth is on the particular day you happen to be using them. So as well as a color selection take into account the depths you will be fishing throughout the year on the waters you usualy fish and keep that in mind.

As long as you cast your lure where the fish are, and present a presentation that works, then you're all good! :bad_boys_20:
I just am the one to push naturals, no sinister intentions intended :)

Speckle55
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
i use the Floating number 18 natural color and it works good as well as a floating rainbow trout about same size although a bit skinnier.. David

Alberta Bigbore
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Invaders

Mish@
04-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys! I wrote those down! I will pick up some of them this friday! thanks for the great tips!

FishingFrenzy
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM

I hope to see it in the book! :sHa_shakeshout:

Also, my vote is for Storm Wildeyes in a pike or perch pattern
Not technically a crankbait - its a swimbait but they work awesome!!!!!

colto
04-20-2011, 09:54 PM
try the storm pike hooks six inch long

chubbdarter
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Hello guys. What are your favourite crankbaits for pike?

Any crankbaits i can buy at the Fishin Hole.......very knowledgable staff there

Mish@
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Any crankbaits i can buy at the Fishin Hole.......very knowledgable staff there

thats because you havent been to wholesale sports lately :)

chubbdarter
04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
thats because you havent been to wholesale sports lately :)

will they give me a big discount every time im at the cash register?

Mish@
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
depends dude :) :thinking-006:

Mr.twister
04-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Husky jerks in blue and orange, or silver and black

chubbdarter
04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
depends dude :) :thinking-006:

i dont use depends ....yet

when i used to fish for pike....the Thundersticks and Smithwicks were my favorite

Christofficer
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I bought a few of those fat cotton cordell fatty lookin cranks, in fire tiger and blue/chrome colors. Man did they ever work good for pike.

huntsfurfish
04-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Depth raiders, super knuckleheads, suicks, Poes and a few others, plus large musky spinners. Sizes
7"-12", all for large Pike.

Husky jerks, and others 7" less for pike up to and including large. Pretty much any crank will catch pike at one time or another.

Mish@
04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Depth raiders, super knuckleheads, suicks, Poes and a few others, plus large musky spinners. Sizes
7"-12", all for large Pike.

Husky jerks, and others 7" less for pike up to and including large. Pretty much any crank will catch pike at one time or another.

Thank you I will definately pick one up!

Dust1n
04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
check my pic everything in there is fair game for pike.

Mish@
04-21-2011, 10:17 PM
check my pic everything in there is fair game for pike.

yea the perch and the fire tiger patters always work well

Lonnie
04-22-2011, 04:32 AM
for pike a big flat fish I've had good luck with them white and the black ones. white on sunny days and clear water and black on cloudy days or if the water is realy dark I know this seems back wards but it seems to work good this way.

Beazer
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Use steel leaders with gliding baits, and use the coated leaders for the rest.