PDA

View Full Version : Gold eyes NSR

Thundercatcher
04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Can you catch gold eye in the North Sask. River near Edmonton? And what do you use to catch them?

lifesaflyin
04-21-2011, 07:25 PM
yup. about a million of them under the quesnel bridge, just have to be there at the right time.

Thundercatcher
04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
What do you use to catch them?

e40water12
04-21-2011, 09:15 PM
worms, leeches, white maggits.

Daceminnow
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
What do you use to catch them?

sounds like you may be fairly new to the great sport of fishing. keep it simple. use a pickerel rig with worms or minnows. i prefer minnows in the nsr. they will catch everything that swims in the river. it's a great place to catch fish, have fun.

Dace

lone wolf
04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
sounds like you may be fairly new to the great sport of fishing. keep it simple. use a pickerel rig with worms or minnows. i prefer minnows in the nsr. they will catch everything that swims in the river. it's a great place to catch fish, have fun.

Dace

X2 Hard to go wrong !!

Thundercatcher
04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Could you use small jigs tips with maggots like you would catch perch with? Is over by Devon a good place as well?

Dust1n
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
light jig heads with natural color bodys with sparkles.
let it drift and when you feel a tick lift the rod and they hook themselves

Jwood 456
04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
If you fish for goldeye with a rod rated for 6lb test, it should be quite a fun battle reeling them in. When I was using 10lb line to fish for goldeye near the Lockports near Selkirk Manitoba, I would hook a 2lb goldeye and they would bend my 12lb rated rod right over!

fishmania
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Could you use small jigs tips with maggots like you would catch perch with? Is over by Devon a good place as well?

I tried fishing Devon area last summer with very little luck
Stay away from the bridge area nothin there
Just what I found anyway

alodar
04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
You can also use small spinners or spoons and devon area if u get tue roght spot jas some goldeye up stream or down stream when i fished there i always went down stream

Dale S
04-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Do you eat them. They are'nt any good out of the South Sask. River.

moosehunter3-0
04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Use any silver bladed spinner. Use light line, the lighter the line the farther you will be able to cast a small spinner.

Geezle
04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Last year I did really well tossing small spinners and small spoons at the goldeye.

Another option is to drop a worm or half a minnow a foot or two under a bobber. They seem to cruise a little higher in the water column.

They're lots of fun on light gear :)

Alberta Bigbore
04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
As a kid... I used to catch more Goldeye on a pickerel rig or a slip sinker rig baited with a frozen minnow ....than anything else. Rubber tail jigs, spoons, spinners, small rapalas have all taken their share.

Using a flyrod in the heat of summer is always pure enjoyment. My top pick for a dry fly is the elk hair caddis... It does really well around the Fort Saskatchewan stretch of the river

When using a pickerel rig though.. try replacing the cheap snelled hooked with small circle hooks, the fish will hook themselves and it wont be deep...most often in the corner of the mouth

Alberta Bigbore
04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Do you eat them. They are'nt any good out of the South Sask. River.

in Manitoba... Goldeye is a delicacy... and it is wonderful to eat if the fish is smoked properly.

....But more often than not... we dont bother with smoked goldeye... as it makes a hell of a good cut bait for channel catfish!!