PDA

View Full Version : Who do you support?

Daceminnow
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Where do you lay down your hard earned cash for your tackle and fishing related gear? Who has the most knowledgeable staff that are willing to give you the help your looking for?

gl2
04-21-2011, 09:01 PM
fishin hole always gets my money. they stand by there products and the service is the best in calgary.i want the guy giving me advice to know what he is talking about not a guy who moved over from produce......

Photoplex
04-21-2011, 09:02 PM
You missed these options out:

* I don't really care
* Wherever I'm nearest to
* Wherever has it in stock

Daceminnow
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
You missed these options out:

* I don't really care
* Wherever I'm nearest to
* Wherever has it in stock

ready for that coffee yet photo?

Photoplex
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM

I can't figure out if you're trying to hit on me...

buckmaster
04-21-2011, 09:07 PM
depends where there is a sale.Mostly fishin hole;good service!

Photoplex
04-21-2011, 09:08 PM
PS. I'm not taking any sides - I'm being genuine when I say I don't really have any allegiances to one store another. Nowadays, I tend to visit most of them eventually (in a round-robin kind of way) and if I'm looking for something particularly hard to find (like a particular model Rap, in a particular size and colour) I'll call round till somewhere has it in stock - then I'll go buy it there. BPS does has some smoking deals on apparel though.

Incidentally - the fishing staff in WSS are the most annoying of any store I've been in to. They follow me around like lost puppies constantly asking if I'm ok. Maybe it's because the English aren't used to it, but it really gets on my tits

horsetrader
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Fishing hole first if they have it they got my money

horsetrader
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
ps. I'm not taking any sides - i'm being genuine when i say i don't really have any allegiances to one store another. Nowadays, i tend to visit most of them eventually (in a round-robin kind of way) and if i'm looking for something particularly hard to find (like a particular model rap, in a particular size and colour) i'll call round till somewhere has it in stock - then i'll go buy it there. Bps does has some smoking deals on apparel though.

Incidentally - the fishing staff in wss are the most annoying of any store i've been in to. They follow me around like lost puppies constantly asking if i'm ok. Maybe it's because the english aren't used to it, but it really gets on my tits

are you being served!...............:)

chubbdarter
04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
PS. I'm not taking any sides - I'm being genuine when I say I don't really have any allegiances to one store another. Nowadays, I tend to visit most of them eventually (in a round-robin kind of way) and if I'm looking for something particularly hard to find (like a particular model Rap, in a particular size and colour) I'll call round till somewhere has it in stock - then I'll go buy it there. BPS does has some smoking deals on apparel though.

Incidentally - the fishing staff in WSS are the most annoying of any store I've been in to. They follow me around like lost puppies constantly asking if I'm ok. Maybe it's because the English aren't used to it, but it really gets on my tits

maybe after you speak and they hear your voice they classify you as a bad nationality that will poach fishing hooks.....

walleyechaser
04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
anywhere close usually wss or bps. gonna have to check out fishing hole, as im not a fan of bps fishing gear ...

Jwood 456
04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I like to shop at the Fishin hole for most of my stuff because of the customer service and my old man and I are sort of buddys with one of the employees there. If the fishin hole doesn't have what I want, I go to whole sale sports.

Flyfisher87
04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
The smaller specialty fly shops. The selection is great. The service toward me is excellent. These shops have to compete with the bigger stores in town that offer lower prices, but the service goes to pot. I would much rather spend a little extra money to help out the smaller stores, have a coffee and shoot the breeze with the owner. Not to mention get some great advice if needed.

Dust1n
04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
The smaller store generaly = more knolage and more learning about the place your going to.
they will tell you secrets to let them come back to there shop and they tell someone and so on.
they arnt afraid to awnser ALL of your questions
great service i support the smaller shops

lifesaflyin
04-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I shop at wholesale sports for my fly tying stuff. they have a selection that the fishin hole cant beat, their fly section is bigger than the entire fishin hole store. but if im buying big ticket items like a ice tent, auger, gps or rods im at the fishin hole.

Braun
04-21-2011, 10:47 PM

hahahaha. This is a great night on the AOF forum. a great night indeed :party0051:

Willowtrail
04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I give the SS Fishin' Hole 90% of my business. I will hit up all the others as well for a looksy but Kevin and his guys are great to just shoot the jab with. When in the Calgary area I always hit up BPS.

chubbdarter
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
hahahaha. This is a great night on the AOF forum. a great night indeed :party0051:

want Dace and me to come over and show you how not to mod out a boat?....lol

Photoplex
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
maybe after you speak and they hear your voice they classify you as a bad nationality that will poach fishing hooks.....

Just between us, mate, I feel a little like that anywhere I go in Alberta. It's kind of bad enough that we're considering moving away from Alberta to a province that's a little more accepting of people different from themselves. Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian (and I'm 0 for 3)

The smaller specialty fly shops. The selection is great. The service toward me is excellent. These shops have to compete with the bigger stores in town that offer lower prices, but the service goes to pot. I would much rather spend a little extra money to help out the smaller stores, have a coffee and shoot the breeze with the owner. Not to mention get some great advice if needed.

The waders I was looking at were $70 more at CP than one of the big retailers. $70. That's a lot of extra lolly just for the personal touch!

Braun
04-21-2011, 11:22 PM
want Dace and me to come over and show you how not to mod out a boat?....lol

haha. nope, I think I got it. Hard enough to keep my father away from it.

Im designing a bucket and drumstick holder just for you. KFC might sponsor me for it. I figured something like that will lure you into my boat and I could get you onto travers sometime this summer. lol

chubbdarter
04-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Just between us, mate, I feel a little like that anywhere I go in Alberta. It's kind of bad enough that we're considering moving away from Alberta to a province that's a little more accepting of people different from themselves. Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian.

The waders I was looking at were $70 more at CP than one of the big retailers. $70. That's a lot of extra lolly just for the personal touch!

thats not good

chubbdarter
04-21-2011, 11:26 PM
haha. nope, I think I got it. Hard enough to keep my father away from it.

Im designing a bucket and drumstick holder just for you. KFC might sponsor me for it. I figured something like that will lure you into my boat and I could get you onto travers sometime this summer. lol

hahha...their gravy is like chubby powerbait

Dust1n
04-21-2011, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Photoplex;915704]Just between us, mate, I feel a little like that anywhere I go in Alberta. It's kind of bad enough that we're considering moving away from Alberta to a province that's a little more accepting of people different from themselves. Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian (and I'm 0 for 3)

First of all it shouldnt be that way canada is made up of all the nations put togther.
frecnh and native with europeans and russsians ,asians ect.

Photoplex
04-21-2011, 11:27 PM
thats not good

Meh, life's too short to get hung up on it - live and learn! :)

Albertadiver
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
For me, it's all about conveniance. I'm not a hardcore puddle fisher here, but I do have a crappy tire within vision of my house. so, that's usually my first stop.

Albertadiver
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
First of all it shouldnt be that way canada is made up of all the nations put togther.
frecnh and native with europeans and russsians ,asians ect.

Dude. Do us all a favor. Before you post, put it in microsoft word. Hit f7 for spell check. do the spell check. Then hit ctrl A, Crtl C, and then come on ao and hit crtl V.

Thx!

Geezle
04-21-2011, 11:33 PM

Ha! I used to love that show! :)

As for the poll, unless it's terribly inconvenient, TFH usually gets the first shot at my money. The guys at the two stores I frequent are great, especially the guys at the South store :)

DaveFish
04-21-2011, 11:34 PM
TFH southside Edmonton all the way, just my kind of shop.

Photoplex
04-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Haha!

http://www.digitalwellbeinglabs.com/spotted/areyoubeingserved_1.jpg

Cam T
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Not BPS, I tried to buy fly line there three times in the past 4 months. NO one available to sell fly line. It is behind the counter and the "guy" was away, because winter time is not fly season. I suggested they shut the hunting section down when it too is out of season. So I buy my fishing supplies anywhere but BPS! Might as well as say it, BASS PRO SHOP, Come on Cabela's!

Newspeak
04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian (and I'm 0 for 3)

From a guy in a city with the first Muslim mayor in Canada.
Where's the guitar playing smiley. Talk about generalizing people.

tacklerunner
04-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Should have made this poll where you can choose more than one.

Actually the best service, knowledge and selection is in Chubbdarter's garage & attic.

gl2
04-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Don't get me wrong - I've met some really nice people here in AB... but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian

i am none of these and havent had a problem...till tonight.

Newspeak
04-22-2011, 12:00 AM
The world needs to have some A**holes, so you know who the nice people are.... :)

In response to the poll, I'll shop anywhere.

Daceminnow
04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=tacklerunner;915747]Should have made this poll where you can choose more than one.

is it possible to create a poll with that option tackle? i had a hard enough time figuring out what i did. FH7 was unavailable for technical support at the time.

tacklerunner
04-22-2011, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=tacklerunner;915747]Should have made this poll where you can choose more than one.

is it possible to create a poll with that option tackle? i had a hard enough time figuring out what i did. FH7 was unavailable for technical support at the time.

Yes you sure can.

Alberta Bigbore
04-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Would have to be The Fishin Hole...... Preferably in Winnipeg..... But as for Edmonton..... Southside or north end......

Mr.twister
04-22-2011, 07:39 AM
fishin hole has my vote!!

although i do shop other places once in a while...

mszomola
04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
I have to mention tacklewharehouse . Though it's online , the shipping will blow you away . They have almost anything you can imagine !

When I ordered on a Tuesday at 2 pm I had my package Wednesday at 1:30 !

I recommend anyone looking for a top notch online experience to check it out!!

highwood
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Dude. Do us all a favor. Before you post, put it in microsoft word. Hit f7 for spell check. do the spell check. Then hit ctrl A, Crtl C, and then come on ao and hit crtl V.

Thx!

I've been waiting for this post for quite some time...

fishmania
04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I usually go to Wholesale Sports north
They have a lot more selection and I find the prices a bit lower on fishing gear and tackle
And I happen to find the the staff friendly and always have the time to answer questions and give good advice

Never been that fond of the Fishin Hole overrated in my opinion at least the one on the northside

Kokanee9
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't mind it if FH opened a South store in Calgary.

WillyOneStyle
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm working in Grande Prairie these days and Wholesale has the best selection for fly tying here. Actually, it has a good selection of everything. Bartons lures me in from time to time, what it lacks in selection it makes up for in qualified staff.

Gust
04-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Thx!

But, he'll hit F9 then he'll hit ctrlQ then ctrlB then ctrl@,, and voila, he will be in the Pentagon Mainframe by morning.

text talk is painful but like one poster said "at least he's fishin and not on Playstation"

Freedom55
04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I cannot, for the life of me, drive past a tackle shop and not stop in. Here's why.
I was searching all the stores for a particular plastic Gulp but could not find it anywhere.
Last month I found a little giftware store in a small town where I was for a derby that also sold tackle that had three packages of the salted minnows, on sale to boot. Bought a bunch of stuff actually. At half off, I'm buying.
Gas stations and hardware stores in any rural community or crossroads sell tackle and bait and like I said, at half off...

Free (or cheap)

Gust
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I cannot, for the life of me, drive past a tackle shop and not stop in. Here's why.
I was searching all the stores for a particular plastic Gulp but could not find it anywhere.
Last month I found a little giftware store in a small town where I was for a derby that also sold tackle that had three packages of the salted minnows, on sale to boot. Bought a bunch of stuff actually. At half off, I'm buying.
Gas stations and hardware stores in any rural community or crossroads sell tackle and bait and like I said, at half off...

Free (or cheap)

If your ever on the Sunshine Coast (Gibsons/Roberts Creek/Sechelt) go look for Bobs fishing in Roberts Creek. Just a guy with tons of stuff that you can trade with or buy from. I got sick of using Buzz Bombs and wanted some Blue Fox spinners, and we did a trade off. Great guy, runs the hatchery at Davis Bay pretty much out of his own pocket.

horsetrader
04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=GustavMahler;916134]But, he'll hit F9 then he'll hit ctrlQ then ctrlB then ctrl@,, and voila, he will be in the Pentagon Mainframe by morning.

...now thats awesome..:sHa_sarcasticlol:

SushiUnagi
04-22-2011, 01:47 PM
fishin hole always gets my money. they stand by there products and the service is the best in calgary.i want the guy giving me advice to know what he is talking about not a guy who moved over from produce......

x2 :bad_boys_20:

chubbdarter
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
interesting:thinking-006:

dryguy
04-23-2011, 12:55 AM
most of the time fishin hole but that might change this summer when cabelas here in edmonton

ssyd
04-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Fishin' Hole first because I'm pretty conscious about where my money is going - I try to keep it in Canada as much as possible. The way this winter went though Walmart is definitely a close second. Stocked up on all sorts of goodies for under $40! Tent, auger, tip-up, tip-up line, scale, scoop. I **** you not, $40 for all of that. Yeah that tent's not great but it works and so does everything else.

I love the staff at TFH though and it's always my first stop.

but, in general, it's quite a hostile place if you're not white, anglo-saxon, and christian (and I'm 0 for 3)
You forgot the fourth demographic. I'm 2/3 and it's still hostile because I don't vote Conservative.

Photoplex
04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
You forgot the fourth demographic. I'm 2/3 and it's still hostile because I don't vote Conservative.

Even I think you're weird for that! :lol:

rielbowhunter
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
I shop everywhere now. when I used to fly fish allot . i would go to the little fly shops all over, they all gave me good advice. my last big purchase was my sonar and I bought it from the fishing hole, because they seamed to know what they where talking about. I might have to go there more