PDA

View Full Version : River access at Fort Macleod

Dale S
04-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Is there a spot in Fort Macleod where a guy could launch a jetboat.

Pudelpointer
04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Where are you trying to get to?

Dale S
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Down stream looks interesting on google. I don't think you can go upstream without permission from the Blood Tribe.Do you know the river along that part.

Guitarplayingfish
04-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Ive heard the fishing around fort mcloud (old man) has gotten worse and worse over the years. There are a bunch of roads by the river north of city center, just over the bridge... Dunno if there is access, but there may be. I have driven right down to the river before but launching might be a different story.

flyguyd
04-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Down stream looks interesting on google. I don't think you can go upstream without permission from the Blood Tribe.Do you know the river along that part.

From Macleod youve still got around 10 miles of river until you hit the rez but its the Piegan not the Blood tribe thats on the Oldman River. Depending on the size of your boat you might be able to launch right at the green bridge on the outskirts of town.

Dale S
04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
From Macleod youve still got around 10 miles of river until you hit the rez but its the Piegan not the Blood tribe thats on the Oldman River. Depending on the size of your boat you might be able to launch right at the green bridge on the outskirts of town.

Are you from the area, and know the river. Lets go for a rip on the river, maybe cast a line in.It's going to be nice tommorow.

npauls
04-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Dago I would think you should be able to launch somewhere around that bridge that is right near highway 2. It looks like there is a road that goes right down to the water and as long as the gravel isn't to loose you should be fine depending on boat size. I am kind of wanting a jet boat these days so I can get out and explore the river alot more.

Could you maybe see if the green house place at monarch would let you through their yard down to the river? It looks like they have access right to the water and then you could just rip upstream to where ever you feel like wetting a line.

Dale S
04-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Dago I would think you should be able to launch somewhere around that bridge that is right near highway 2. It looks like there is a road that goes right down to the water and as long as the gravel isn't to loose you should be fine depending on boat size. I am kind of wanting a jet boat these days so I can get out and explore the river alot more.

Could you maybe see if the green house place at monarch would let you through their yard down to the river? It looks like they have access right to the water and then you could just rip upstream to where ever you feel like wetting a line.

Are you up for a ride today. Iwould like to go this afternoon. We have a mutual frend Ralph Borsma, I work with him.

224MV
04-23-2011, 08:05 AM
A freind that I used to work with took his jet boat up the Oldman a lot. I can't remember but I almost think he would launch it around lethbridge. I'll see if I can contact him and let you know.

fishaddict
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
u can launch ur boat in indian battle park there is a ramp there or the bridge by monarch on hwy 3A there is a road that goes right down to the river u might be able to launch there but it gets mighty muddy when it rains

npauls
04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Are you up for a ride today. Iwould like to go this afternoon. We have a mutual frend Ralph Borsma, I work with him.

Really? That is awsome. I grew up with Ralph's son andy and use to spend a ton of time at their house. I haven't talked to him in quite awhile.

I just recieved this message but would have been down for hitting the river in a boat.

Let me know if you are still heading out today and if not today maybe another day in the future. I am ready to head out whenever.

Nate

Dale S
04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Sorry I missed you this morning.We made it out to F.M. and launched at the bridge on secondary 511 on the north end of F.M. We went down stream to the Monarch train bridge the one you can see from hiway 3.We stoped and fished the good looking spots without a bite. Are there fish in that part of the river.I'm going to post video on youtube Jetboating on the Oldman River.

flyguyd
04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Sorry I missed you this morning.We made it out to F.M. and launched at the bridge on secondary 511 on the north end of F.M. We went down stream to the Monarch train bridge the one you can see from hiway 3.We stoped and fished the good looking spots without a bite. Are there fish in that part of the river.I'm going to post video on youtube Jetboating on the Oldman River.

Ya theres fish there its just always been hit and miss. you go upstream as far as the rez theres some fantastic looking water, i floated it a couple yrs ago and didnt get a bite either but im sure there were fish there...lol. Im glad you were able to launch there,thats the spot i meant to bad you didnt get any fish though,better luck next time

walking buffalo
04-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Remember, the mature Rainbows are upstream for the spawn.

I've fished the stretch through the Reserve a number of times throughout the summer. Never had a day where I've caught more than a couple of mature trout.

I helped with a fish rescue in the irrigation channel on the Res. a few years ago. Saved an 8lb cutthrout. :)

Team Beef
04-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Oldman River
upstream of Sec. Rd. 509 – see Fish Management Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES1.
from Sec. Rd. 509 downstream to South Saskatchewan River & tributaries except St. Mary River
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Bait allowed.

Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED

chubbdarter
04-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Oldman River
upstream of Sec. Rd. 509 – see Fish Management Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES1.
from Sec. Rd. 509 downstream to South Saskatchewan River & tributaries except St. Mary River
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0; Bait allowed.

Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED

the spot he is discribing is upstream of the 509 i believe

npauls
04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Ya 509 is the road from kip into the reserve I do believe. So anything upstream is fair game.