PDA

View Full Version : water craft

Frans
04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for something a bit more stable in the water than my 14-ft canoe. Small boat, pontoon boat, float tube (probably not a float tube), something that allows me to fly fish reed beds, shorelines (that I can't get at from land), not necessarily propelled by a (trolling) motor. Something that doesn't require a trailer and that one man can handle (I don't have a trailer, and I don't have friends ;-) I can't really see myself casting the 9-weight rod for pike in my tippy canoe.

What water craft has your preference? Pros and cons? Brands, shops? (Southern Alberta).

drifter
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Outcast fish cat or fat cat.

Fishgut
04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
There was a small boat in the boats and motors for sale on here, might be what you want.

tjcartmell
04-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Take a look at the Coosa Kayak by Jackson. It is designed for rivers, has two seat heights for casting and is stable for stand up fishing.

Tim

FishingFrenzy
04-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Are you handy at all? Its pretty easy to build a nice set of outriggers for a canoe!

Frans
04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'm looking at them all. Handy? Yeah, I guess. Do you have some drawings or a photo? Or can you just tell me what kind of material you would use?

FishingFrenzy
04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I've seen some PVC pipe designs where PVC pipe is used to make a frame and pool noodle goes over the PVC.
Do a google search for "Canoe Outrigger" "DIY Canoe Outrigger" "Home Made Canoe Outrigger" Stuff like that.

Personally if i was doing it and had a budget of around 60 bucks i would use aluminum tubing and blue construction foam, but that's just me :sHa_shakeshout:

There's lots of different designs out there, good luck!
Tight lines!!

horsetrader
04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'm looking at them all. Handy? Yeah, I guess. Do you have some drawings or a photo? Or can you just tell me what kind of material you would use?

Home made canoe outriggers

.http://www.google.ca/search?q=homemade+canoe+outriggers&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q0eyTZ-GF8Th0gGw-on1CA&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1119&bih=626

Doc
04-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I love my pontoon boats. You can get around slowly with fins, use the oars for a stealthy and/or quick approach or troll with it using an electric motor if you want. You can double anchor them and easily attach all the bells and whistles. They break down and can be fitted into all vehicles and todays newer models are made better than ever. For added safety I'd recommend the Outcast Fishcat Panther, it has dual bladders on each side and only needs 3" of water to float them. For best all around that doesn't break the bank, look at the Fishcat 10' IR. Comes with a standing platform and leaning bar.

Fishcat 10 IR (http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?id=28)

Cheers,
Doc

Cal
04-22-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm a long time canoe fisherman and the longer I use them the more trouble I have switching to anything else. Any muscular powered craft is a compromise and any advantages one designe may have comes at a sacrifice in another area. A quality canoe to me seems to sit dead center and for me makes a well rounded craft. Its faster than a pontoon boat but more stable and dry than a kayak and it can get you and a whole pile of gear into no mans land better than any boat out there. Going to a motor boat just seems like selling out, I'm sure I'll do it someday but I'm just not old enough to need that rocking chair just yet. Maby when I retire..

32-40win
04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
An 8 or 9 ft pontoon is a useful boat, good for rivers, small ponds and larger water. You can ride out rough weather a whole bunch better than a canoe and some v-hull boats. A trolling motor is a real nice add-on capability to have on it for lake fishing, lets you save some energy for fishing ve travelling from spot to spot. I have mine setup with 3 rod holders, a trolling motor and a Fishin'Buddy finder and double anchors and a small drift sock, on a 9ft Discovery.
It is very maneuverable on a river, and it'll ride out stuff that a lot of guys will quit in with 12-14ft boats. One word on something like the Panther is that they don't steer as well as the regular pontoon on flowing water. The Panther and the Outcast 900 do present a lower profile to the wind on a lake though.
A 9 or 10 ft pontoon boat can carry 450 lbs or more also.