PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton NSR fishing.

XxDanno316xX
04-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone know of any hot spots on the North Sask River within the city limits? Yesterday my friend and I took the canoe out just under the dawson bridge.. we paddled upstream a while and got nothing..

Thanks in advance!

Geezle
04-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Actually I've heard the Dawson park mentioned many times, though it's a little out of my neighborhood so I've never really checked it out before. You can also fish over by the Hermitage dog park and under the Beverly bridge.

Overall though, the river is still fishing pretty slow :o

alodar
04-23-2011, 02:04 PM
I used to live right next to the dawson bridge theres alot of action to be had there but this time of year is pretty challenging due to the dirty water visibility is very poor and the fish that are on the prowl are mainly using their sense of smell that said i recomend baits and dead sticking it will be very slow as all of the fish are in different spots this time of year if you put in some time you will find them

Walleye101
04-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Walk North across the Quesnel bridge and fish the outflow. All you need is a slip bobber and 50 bags of worms. Great fun for the kids!

XxDanno316xX
04-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks!! Im going to try the dawson area again tomorrow, this time I am bringing the trolling motor so we are not fighting the currents. I seen a few people shore fishing however I dont want to stand in wet mud all day. I'll let you know If i get a bite or 2.

Cheers!

1bluZebec
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Ive been trying the river on and off for two years and havent been doing well at all. I would really like to find a place where one gets lucky once in awhile even. Tried dawson plenty with not even a bite. tried almost everywhere near edmonton at least once, some lots but nothing ever. Would love to get out with someone who knows better. I have a 4x4 and all gear. lets get out!:)

XxDanno316xX
04-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I've done heavy research for my trip tomorrow, and I plan to follow the advice from the other posts on this thread.. I'll be launching my Canoe at the dawson bridge tomorrow, with a fish finder and a trolling motor.. If I fail there monday I plan on trying by the beverly bridge.. I have a "no quit" attitude..

Check this link out.. it's what got me started on this new adventure..

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?f=feature_article/feature_article.cfm&ID=220

I dont ice fish (no hut, auger.. ect) so really in this weather the NSR is the only place I can fish...

shoot me a PM and I will keep you posted!

Geezle
04-24-2011, 08:21 AM
I've done heavy research for my trip tomorrow, and I plan to follow the advice from the other posts on this thread.. I'll be launching my Canoe at the dawson bridge tomorrow, with a fish finder and a trolling motor.. If I fail there monday I plan on trying by the beverly bridge.. I have a "no quit" attitude..

Check this link out.. it's what got me started on this new adventure..

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?f=feature_article/feature_article.cfm&ID=220

I dont ice fish (no hut, auger.. ect) so really in this weather the NSR is the only place I can fish...

shoot me a PM and I will keep you posted!
Another spot I think I forgot to mention is down by the quesnel bridge on the South side of the river. I believe you go down Fox Drive headed North and there's a little park where you can park and walk down to the river. Try fishing around the mouth of the Whitemud Creek where it opens up to the NSR. It's been a little while since I've driven down that way, so I'm not sure if it's totally ice free over there or not. Hopefully somebody else will chime in and help out with that one :)

The river is a tricky creature, but if you put in the time and do some exploring you'll get yourself into some fish, and you'll find yourself catching different fish in different areas at different times of the year. Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything your first few trips out this year - like I said, overall the river is still fishing really slow. In a couple weeks when the water starts to warm a little and it clears up you'll do a lot better. You can still catch fish now, but with the dirty water you'll want to use bait of some sort so they can sniff it out.

RapStaff
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
TFH used to have a river map put out by the City parks. Showed all access and launches in the city. Some of the more common fishing spots are Whitemud creek mouth, Hermitage, Goldbar even out as far as Devon or the fort.

DaveFish
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
At the mouth of the whitemud friday, didn't get any ourselves, but saw 2 men pull out atleast 15 suckers, one burbot, and one eye, worms + pickeral rigs ofc. Very muddy, still some ice at the best spot.

-JR-
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Crossed the beverly bridge today (Easter).
Lots of ice and logs starting to float down the river.
Not a very good idea to boat down the river right now.

Cal
04-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Playing around on the rivers right now can be pretty risky, the ice does not come off the whole river at once, it might be ice free at Edmonton but the upper reaches are still shedding their ice and sending it down river. If your going to be boating on the river use caution and be prepared to head home if you start seeing ice drifting down river. You probably dont wanna be out there when it gets all choked up with ice chunks.

pdfish
04-25-2011, 09:15 AM
The NSR was ice free in Devon this morning, (except the gravel bar on the north side), only a little ice floating down. On Thursday, it was pretty much iced over, it doesn't take long for the river to clear up given the warm weather we've had.

Shaners
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
At the mouth of the whitemud friday, didn't get any ourselves, but saw 2 men pull out atleast 15 suckers, one burbot, and one eye, worms + pickeral rigs ofc. Very muddy, still some ice at the best spot.

Hahaha. Just how muddy was it!? LOL!!

Safety D
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
50 street boat launch is still closed. Seems like every year they wait for 2 weeks after ice out to open it???

Paul C
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Still is a little soon to fish the NSR. Water is still running muddy and the water level is up a bit. I image it is going to run higher once the mountains let go.

tonypower
04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I was by lgcc yesterday and today. yesterday the ice was not to bad but today it was real bad. still no luck though. skunked again. It was real nice to just get out with the kids and wife. Have any of you guys had any luck this year?

Dale S
04-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Are the sturgen bitting. When the South Sask. River is high and muddy it makes for the best fishing for sturgen. And we always catch suckers when the sturgen are bitting. Down south we have to wait 13 more days to fish on the rivers.

Geezle
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I was by lgcc yesterday and today. yesterday the ice was not to bad but today it was real bad. still no luck though. skunked again. It was real nice to just get out with the kids and wife. Have any of you guys had any luck this year?

Cruised by there after work around 7 today. Water is waaaaaay up and there was a lot of ice coming down the river again.

courjaco
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
drove by gold bar and there is lots of ice coming down with no breaks, and river is high and dirty. :mad3:

XxDanno316xX
04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
We spent 5 hours on the river on easter sunday, the ice was not bad at all, we were able to avoid all the ice by simply pushing it away with a oar, the larger ones I just turned to motor on and moved out of the way.. As for the fish, not a single hit.. Next weekend I will hit the mouth of the whitemud creek, or hermitage..

Happy Fishing!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Cruised by there after work around 7 today. Water is waaaaaay up and there was a lot of ice coming down the river again.

Last night when I was on my way back from the city stopped off all them huge ice burgs were gone and everything under water , I will pop by there lateer today to check it out , far to much ice and trees coming down , man she was really moving fast .

pophouseman
04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Hit The NSR last Friday, Found a hot spot with Baby Burbot (1-2lbs max) and only got hit with 1 iceburg. It was a good day, freezing cold wind though!

XxDanno316xX
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Hit The NSR last Friday, Found a hot spot with Baby Burbot (1-2lbs max) and only got hit with 1 iceburg. It was a good day, freezing cold wind though!

Where did you fish?

pophouseman
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Within Edmonton city limits.....right around bridge X....... LOL :)

XxDanno316xX
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
LOL!

Dont worry, I am after Walleye and Pike. :sHa_shakeshout:

Paul C
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I caught this snot rocket on 6 lb test fireline with a 6 lb test fluorocarbon leader line. Axeman gave me help landing this one and had to hang onto my leg to prevent him from falling into the nsr while trying to lift the fish out of the water. Sorry you pants got
dirty Axeman.....
Fun to catch ultra-lite fishing.:sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Nice work Paul! Seeing pike come out of this muddy-arse water is encouraging! :sHa_shakeshout:

AxeMan
04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
You owe me one, Paul. It was a pretty encouraging night on the river tonite. We actually had a double header going when Paul hooked the big pike. Mine was a burb though. Some other guys were at our spot before us and were just leaving. They landed a hog 8 pound walleye. There was still quite a bit of ice in the river tonite.

XxDanno316xX
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
You owe me one, Paul. It was a pretty encouraging night on the river tonite. We actually had a double header going when Paul hooked the big pike. Mine was a burb though. Some other guys were at our spot before us and were just leaving. They landed a hog 8 pound walleye. There was still quite a bit of ice in the river tonite.

That is very good news! I am heading out this weekend. Going to fisht the mouth of whitemud creek... This river has skunked me 3 times in a row.. Im glad someone is catching!

Hope to see some of you guys out there!

Paul C
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Does this mean I am buying the brewkies ??:happy0180:

04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Geezle and myself were out there last night Man what a beautiful night to be fishing , really I don't think there is a bad evening of fishing , but it was exceptional once that wind died off .

Still some huge Ice bergs coming down , And very fast fluctuations with water depth . We marked off a spot with a 12 inch stick and within half hour or so it was covered . And Some of the huge Ice chunks that were stuck in close to shore floated away .

I managed to catch a 1 lb Burbot which is a first so that was kind of cool , and then casted way out for giggles and not 5 minutes later my line was B lining it up stream , ended up snapping my line with all that ice . Still unsure what it was but it was a mac truck or a big Sturgeon . If the rain holds off im gonna make a repeat performance tonight . But appears to be a thunderstorm a brewin to the east of here .

Something about sitting around with coyotes howling in the back ground ducks quacking , and a nice fire , catching fish is just a bonus .

Does this mean I am buying the brewkies ??:happy0180:

Paul and Axeman , we were warned by Fish and wildlife officers last week that there will be no warnings this year for open booze , first time its a ticket next time its a court appearance . Don't think you guys are the type to drink and fish , but thought id feel you in on what we were told .

XxDanno316xX
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
BBJ, sounds perfect, I may head out tonight, Hermitage apparently tons of Burb. As for the rain.. I hope it hold off until tomorrow.. I plan on fishing monday, expected to be +18. Maybe by then all the larger ice chunks will have made their way out of the city. :character0053:

Paul C
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Paul and Axeman , we were warned by Fish and wildlife officers last week that there will be no warnings this year for open booze , first time its a ticket next time its a court appearance . Don't think you guys are the type to drink and fish , but thought id feel you in on what we were told .

Who said we are drinking beer while we fish ? I am well aware of what the law says about open liquor while fishin (wishin).
Still good advice to give
Cheers :happy0180:

04-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Who said we are drinking beer while we fish ? I am well aware of what the law says about open liquor while fishin (wishin).

I was just saying generally considering you were talkin beer , Im not saying you werent ;) alls good my friend . I think they have given many warnings and been many problems and they are gonna crack down , which is good . Might not be a bad thing . Just thought id give the heads up is all . Hope to see ya fellows at River X Spot :lol:

A little off topic , Saw you on the news the other night very cool invention you built yourself .

AxeMan
04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
John, we might stop and say hi to you guys at the X spot but we will be at Y spot until it dries up....:scared0018: Besides, I'm scared of those monster Sturg at the X spot. It was a beautiful night last night. The car said 13 degrees when we left just before dark.

04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
John, we might stop and say hi to you guys at the X spot but we will be at Y spot until it dries up....:scared0018: Besides, I'm scared of those monster Sturg at the X spot. It was a beautiful night last night. The car said 13 degrees when we left just before dark.

Sounds good to me . Well be there .

ASL
04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Walk North across the Quesnel bridge and fish the outflow. All you need is a slip bobber and 50 bags of worms. Great fun for the kids!

Where exactly do you go once you cross the bridge? Taking a couple of beginners out on the weekend and was wondering what the fishing success was and how muddy? I'm new to the forums and relatively new to fishing but hopefully will be able to gain and provide some valuable info over the course of the season.
Cheers.

Geezle
04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Where exactly do you go once you cross the bridge? Taking a couple of beginners out on the weekend and was wondering what the fishing success was and how muddy? I'm new to the forums and relatively new to fishing but hopefully will be able to gain and provide some valuable info over the course of the season.
Cheers.

I'm not sure about this spot across the bridge, but if you're on the Whitemud heading West you can get off at Fox Dr and head down to the little park there (might have to look at a map, been a while since I've been down there, and there's been construction going on) where you can park your vehicle and walk down to where the Whitemud Creek meets up with the NSR.

Paul C
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Hey BBJ
How was the fishin last night on the Nsr. I figure Axeman and I could fish at location Z if X and Y is slow fishin (wishin )............................
Cheers :cheers:

04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Hey BBJ
How was the fishin last night on the Nsr. I figure Axeman and I could fish at location Z if X and Y is slow fishin (wishin )............................
Cheers :cheers:

We didnt even get out of the trucks . Sat there watched house sized ice bergs coming down and mac truck sized trees . I was sad . I wont be able to fish all weekend due to having booth at trade show in town .

I also noticed that the river has been coming up and dropping very fast fluxuations , You can see where it comes up at night to the flats there where you park then drops down to below that .

But I figure by next week things should be good to go . On my way home stopped by 2 other spots one where you gotta gain permission to get to , there was NO ice or logs , And at the boat launch in town there was no ice or logs either but very muddy .

So damned if you do and damned if you dont . I think Ill wait a few days and go back to spot E F G . :lol:

Geezle
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I caught this snot rocket on 6 lb test fireline with a 6 lb test fluorocarbon leader line. Axeman gave me help landing this one and had to hang onto my leg to prevent him from falling into the nsr while trying to lift the fish out of the water. Sorry you pants got
dirty Axeman.....

Saw that pic at TFH today...nice work! :lol: :wave:

Granrey
04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
man, I wonder if the NSR is probably the only place to fish right now around Edmonton? Ponds around the city are still frozen or with winter kill

Paul C
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Today Axeman and fished location "Y" and had good fishin in the morning.
Axeman did a good job catching the Burbot and I said maybe we should change your forum handle to the Burbot Slayer. He caught about 10 or so
My day was not that productive and only caught 1 pike, 3 burbot and 1 wallyeye. The NS river is runny ice free, very muddy and noticed an increase to the water level today.

e40water12
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Ive been fishing the NSR for few years, Ive had really good days of fishing. Ive had skunk days with no luck. The river is good, Just have to learn the tricks of the river. I'll wait until the river clears up and warms up before I go fishing.

alodar
04-30-2011, 07:40 PM
dirty Axeman.....

Nice jack water must be warming up

AxeMan
04-30-2011, 11:11 PM
There was a burb biting frenzy this morning at our little spot. Hard to believe that many burbs stacked up in such a little hole. Burb Slayer.....lol. My least favorite fish to catch but what the heck, make hay when the sun shines. I did have a very large pike take a slash at my jig too. Paul, you keep them jacks and wallys outta my way and I'll slay those ugly burbs...:D

Paul C
05-01-2011, 09:49 AM
There was a burb biting frenzy this morning at our little spot. Hard to believe that many burbs stacked up in such a little hole. Burb Slayer.....lol. My least favorite fish to catch but what the heck, make hay when the sun shines. I did have a very large pike take a slash at my jig too. Paul, you keep them jacks and wallys outta my way and I'll slay those ugly burbs...:D

That pike you missed even had me foaming at the mouth.
That ><><))@> was a monster.

Alberta Bigbore
05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Today Axeman and fished location "Y" and had good fishin in the morning.
Axeman did a good job catching the Burbot and I said maybe we should change your forum handle to the Burbot Slayer. He caught about 10 or so
My day was not that productive and only caught 1 pike, 3 burbot and 1 wallyeye. The NS river is runny ice free, very muddy and noticed an increase to the water level today.

that location in the pic looks like a location in Fort Sask I know. Nice walleye

Daceminnow
05-01-2011, 02:53 PM

it won't be long now and that "little hole" will be overrun with walleye. share some pics of the bigger ones with us please.

Dace

BGSH
05-01-2011, 03:09 PM
nsr is awsome right now, lost some huge pike, catching tonns of burbot there is so many of them you end up snagging alot as well, some huge walleye-8-10 pounds on my facebook account@ shawn sami for photos, what a great start to the fishing on the nsr

tonypower
05-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Why do I keep getting skunked!!! lol I have been out about 6 times and only managed 2 suckers. Someone take me to spot x or y please. lol

1bluZebec
05-02-2011, 10:16 PM
yeah me too Ive been out 4 times now since possible and not even a bite. tried lots. Pickeral rigs,spoons, jigs, bare jig head, floating rapalas, slip bobber w/bare hook tipped with minnows,worms ect. No luck. what to do what to do.

05-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Was out with Jay , adam and myself ,Jay caught 4 burbot , I got a 6 inch walleye and several trees . I was using Adams baitcaster getting it all set up for him had 2 short hits from a pike . I think Tommorow when we go out Ill take my small baitcaster and chuck out some big spinners with white bucktail treble hook . That should produce .

Paul C
05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
I am glad to hear that BBJ are catching more variety of fish.:sHa_shakeshout:
Axeman and I saw trophy wood logs on the move on the nsr.

Geezle
05-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Why do I keep getting skunked!!! lol I have been out about 6 times and only managed 2 suckers. Someone take me to spot x or y please. lol
You ask why you're getting skunked...how about telling us what you're doing and we can work from there :)

yeah me too Ive been out 4 times now since possible and not even a bite. tried lots. Pickeral rigs,spoons, jigs, bare jig head, floating rapalas, slip bobber w/bare hook tipped with minnows,worms ect. No luck. what to do what to do.

Right now with the water as dirty as it is your best bet is to just chuck some bait out there and hope for the best. Visibility is terrible so a nice smelly bait that they can 'sniff out' helps.

Mostly burbot and the odd sucker coming out now and then. Try tossing a minnow out fairly shallow (maybe 30' out) and see what happens :)

BGSH
05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
email me @ master_shawn69@hotmail.com or add me to fb@ shawn sami if you want some advice or want to go to a great spot for fishing, i catch and release with care, :)
and fishing is awsome all year round in the nsr, goodluck :)

Zack
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Ive been out 3 times, skunked twice but the third time(Sunday) I got a mooneye first, redhorse Suckerfish next 2 brown suckers and a goldeye. All from the same spot. I'm taking my friend out this weekend if it's still productive I'll let you know where it is. I was using a pickerel rig and worms.

alodar
05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Sturgeon bite is on hooked into a nice one this evening few suckers and burbs too

Daceminnow
05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Sturgeon bite is on hooked into a nice one this evening few suckers and burbs too

really? sturgeon bite is on hey. hooked into a nice one? did you see it? spool you out and burn your reel up? tell us more alodar we like stories. any photos? thanks.

Dace

BGSH
05-03-2011, 11:48 PM
i have many photos of the nsr walleye i will post tomorrow get redy to whipe your eyes and weep :)

05-04-2011, 12:30 AM

where did you catch it ? Spot EFG ?

greylynx
05-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Can they charge me for drinking if I am fishing on my property that ends at the NSR?

Do I drink above the high water mark?

Paul C
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Can they charge me for drinking if I am fishing on my property that ends at the NSR?

Do I drink above the high water mark?

Yes fish and wildlife can charge you or depending on your location the local police can charge you as well. More popular locations seem to have more presence of law enforcer's.

05-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Well Its been a fish filled day . Started off this morning with being out at the crack of dawn , then went home for a few hours had some food , and meet up with Geezle , Alodar , Ghost guy and Eventually Stephanie I mean Stephan meet up with us . Caught a whole swack of Burbot among us all , Some huge Suckers and a nice red tail sucker . Disbite the 50 kmh winds still beat having to be cooped up in an office some place . I love my office :D ... Code word Product testing ;) .

AxeMan
05-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I was out for a couple of hours last night on the nsr. I managed to land 2 pike and another burb.

alodar
05-05-2011, 09:09 AM
where did you catch it ? Spot EFG ?

Nah it was in spot x and it snapped my 80 braid while swimming up stream after snagging my weight on bottom

fishinggeek
05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Nah it was in spot x and it snapped my 80 braid while swimming up stream after snagging my weight on bottom

FYI, always tie your weight on with a smaller size line than your main line. I use 10lb test so the weight snaps off before your main line.

Paul C
05-06-2011, 07:46 PM
i have many photos of the nsr walleye i will post tomorrow get redy to whipe your eyes and weep :)
You have some really good photos. Please continue to post them.
The images are crystal clear.

NSRfishing
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
was out fishing few hours this morning got 2 burbot one sucker and a walleye on pickerel rig with worms

BGSH
05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
nice, guess its picking up

Granrey
05-07-2011, 03:18 PM
some videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cejp1ZIiaCY&feature=related

BGSH
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
great videos, thx

NSRfishing
05-08-2011, 02:21 PM
that big city fishing show was filmed at goldbar park if anybody did not know where the edmonton treated wastewater is dumped into the river

BGSH
05-08-2011, 02:24 PM
yumm, cant wait to take a swim there :D

buckmaster
05-08-2011, 03:46 PM
that big city fishing show was filmed at goldbar park if anybody did not know where the edmonton treated wastewater is dumped into the river

FYI; the treated wastewater is 99.9% clean water.The refineries are now using most of the treated water.

Zack
05-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I was out at whitemud creek today. Same time as last weekend and the fishing was about the same, lots of suckers, a few walleye, 1 pike. Mooneye and goldeye. Unfortunately there is high traffic from fisherman. 12 people fishing a small creek mouth is frustrating when your the first one there. Does anyone have tips for targeting pike over there? Thanks! Good luck everyone!

Jasonp
05-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Ive been to hermitage the past 2 days. Ive caught 3 suckers n a nice size goldeye. Tried to find a place in fort saskatchewan because the ppl at TFH said its the hottest spot on the NSR but I couldnt find a decent spot to fish the current was to fast. Im new to edm and would love some advice. Ive been pickeral rigging with worms. Im looking for pike n walleye.

Geezle
05-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Ive been to hermitage the past 2 days. Ive caught 3 suckers n a nice size goldeye. Tried to find a place in fort saskatchewan because the ppl at TFH said its the hottest spot on the NSR but I couldnt find a decent spot to fish the current was to fast. Im new to edm and would love some advice. Ive been pickeral rigging with worms. Im looking for pike n walleye.

The current's not too fast, you're just not using enough weight! :)

Seriously, I've been surprised at some of the catches I've made in faster currents where I didn't expect there to be fish.

pdfish
05-09-2011, 09:06 AM
The water temp out west is at 48.6F right now, about 3-4 inches of visibility. Managed a few ling and lost 1 sturgeon on the weekend. Nice to see F & W at one of the drive up spots. Had a nice chat from boat to shore, was told of a new launch site I need to check out. Keep up the good work fellas.

Jasonp
05-09-2011, 09:59 AM
The current's not too fast, you're just not using enough weight! :)

Seriously, I've been surprised at some of the catches I've made in faster currents where I didn't expect there to be fish.

Where abouts were u in fort sask? I was 50 meters from the boat launch. I didnt think I was in the right place. I was using a 5 pyramid weight which I thought was more then enough I just kept getting stuck n snapping my line :s

InserestedAngler
05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
ive always found the river to be 1 of the places i always catch something. there r some spots in hematage and of course if u wanna go 4 a little drive the genessee bridge is always good for a dozen or so goldeye a piece, i swere by pickerle rigs with worms for goldeye and chopped up stinky sligtly rotten smelt for pike ,walleye, and sturgon would rather have a whole smelt, big pike too.

0liver
05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
planning on heading out to gold bar today gonna bring some rigs n jigs hope the bites on this evening:fishing:

BGSH
05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
goodluck oliver, post pictures after of the senery and some fish :)

0liver
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM
decided last minute to hit up whitemud creekmouth again at dark instead of goldbar, met someone from this forum there,(zeebek i think was his handle?) ended up getting skunked but my m8 got spooled by something way out in the current, was moving upstream for a bit then decided to leave for japan or something cuz it just took a sharp 180 and took off down stream... never seen line move that fast...:scared:

Jasonp
05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
How do you get to the whitemud creek? Where do u park n walk to?

0liver
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
theres a drive up and park spot right near the whitemud equanine...horse place thingy.... its impossible to miss coming up on the quenell bridge from the south.

Paul C
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
theres a drive up and park spot right near the whitemud equanine...horse place thingy.... its impossible to miss coming up on the quenell bridge from the south.
That location you need to have permission from that club. I checked out that area few days ago. The whitemud creek and the nsr is hit and miss.
Trying walking up the creek near the foot bridge. Also try a wide variety of live bates.You know what they say if the fish are not biting move to a different location.
Good Luck :)

BGSH
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
im guessing its a sturgen, i had that happen to me 3 times in the river, they just spool you sometimes

RapStaff
05-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Sure sounds like a Sturgeon.......... time to pull out the heavy artillery

lone wolf
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
decided last minute to hit up whitemud creekmouth again at dark instead of goldbar, met someone from this forum there,(zeebek i think was his handle?) ended up getting skunked but my m8 got spooled by something way out in the current, was moving upstream for a bit then decided to leave for japan or something cuz it just took a sharp 180 and took off down stream... never seen line move that fast...:scared:

Dollars to donuts it was a sturgeon ............ nothing you can do on light tackle if they decide to take off.

1bluZebec
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I only caught one goldeye under the bridge because there were too many people at the creekmouth with pickeral rigs sittin so it would of been tough for me too even fish. i thought that i would surely have better luck with the light of the queen lighting up the water like it was and as late as it was. Whatever it was you hooked onto must of been huge. See ya again maybe.

0liver
05-12-2011, 09:35 AM
That location you need to have permission from that club. I checked out that area few days ago. The whitemud creek and the nsr is hit and miss.

uhmm, im pretty sure there is parking that is open to the public... not right at the horse place that is private but a bit closer to the campbell bridge over the creek [big stone arches] there is a little campsite with BBQ's and there is public parking, idk if there is a time limit but it is most definitely public parking.

Paul C
05-12-2011, 02:59 PM
uhmm, im pretty sure there is parking that is open to the public... not right at the horse place that is private but a bit closer to the campbell bridge over the creek [big stone arches] there is a little campsite with BBQ's and there is public parking, idk if there is a time limit but it is most definitely public parking.
Yes I know the other spot but you can access it but they have the river boat up near the mouth of the creek and the nsr on the shore there.