PDA

View Full Version : So it begins.......

Calgaryguy1977
04-24-2011, 11:25 AM
So guys/gals, the hard ice is gone in some places and leaving in others. My question is what are your goals for this summer? Any new places that you are excited to try? Any new resolutions (e.g. catch and release, which I did heavily at the end of last summer).

Lets hear your ambitions for this fishing season!

Mine is as soon as the ice clears off upper K im gonna go throw the trust ol copper johns and prince nymphs in! I also want to land a bull there this summer.
I would also love to hit elbow and rawson lakes this summer.......if anyone is interested let me know and maybe we can setup a group!

Sorry if this thread seems a little corny, but i'm just excited for this season and really get stoked hearing about people fishing excursions and ambitions!

Cheers and tight lines!

Bobstew
04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I would like to add a fly rod and reel to my equipment this year. I will be in Alberta until November and then plan on being in the Sian Ka'an area of Mexico for the winter. I started shore fishing here in AB last year for Pike and hope to shore fish in Mexico in the Boca Paila area for bones, barracuda, smaller tarpon and maybe permit. I want to try a modified spinning setup with a small bubble float to cast flies and crab lures and if I have my new fly rod I can try it too.
:shark:

Calgaryguy1977
04-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Honestly Bob, if you are anything like me, you will be hooked once you land your first fish on a fly (no pun intended). It's such a different approach and soo much more challenging. Im sure you will enjoy it. If you are going to be fly fishing around Calgary this summer drop me a line. I head out to Kananaskis quite frequently in the summer and visit several lakes and ponds. They are great spots to hone your fly fishing skills (although im still pretty new at it myself)

alodar
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Mine is giant pike on homemade flies

walleyechaser
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
target species for the summer is gonna be a big bull.

another goal will be to fish as many new bodies of water as possible

Gust
04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I want to re-visit the Elbow (above Glenmore Rez and below the Dam). I went to St Marys DT Calgary and used to skip school and fish where the old rope swing was (behind Holy Cross Hospital) for chunky rainboews. The stretch between the dam and the Bow is amazing, there are even holes in the height of Summer that have biggies.

Anyhoo, great suggestion from the OP,,, Walking Buffalo (we've never met) on the forum (plus myself but it's been years) could give a pretty amazing tour from Weaselhead and west on the Elbow [excuse my French] but Fudge, the mighty Bow, the Elbow is mightier, not in numbers but acumen).

Many moons ago a friend and I stalked a Brown for weeks thru Beaver Pond and creek alike, with Wisers in hand, we crept, sometimes on elbows and knees and flefft our lines into deep, dark poools.

On a side note,,,, I'm in Grand Prairie (nothing in the budget for a rental car), so today I ventured on foot and found a Wholesale Sports, and if any managers are online, give Jordan a raise in the Fishing Dept, he was so cool that I'll prolly buy $300 as opposed the $100 I budgetd; but it's about the shareholders right not the kids & adults who know their stuff and make your profit.

Speaking about Wisers.

pickrel pat
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
catch a sturg, catch a bull, explore alot of new waters, practice with my bow every day......

Calgaryguy1977
04-24-2011, 10:05 PM
This is great guys, keep em coming!