PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing ghost lake (4-24-2011)

eightdoor
04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
using gold bell
http://oi55.tinypic.com/2hrojlz.jpg

Do not ask me the fishing spot,just see the picture
http://oi52.tinypic.com/5ff49d.jpg

4 men got:
http://oi52.tinypic.com/34q4cqg.jpg

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
cant belive you keept a brown trout but Nice catch keep it up bud.

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
congrats....nice pics

hows the ice at the launch?

FishingFrenzy
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Just out of curiosity why are you surprised he kept a brown? Aren't they good eating?

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
they swim from the bow and therye full of mercrury and other junk from the bow.
ya there great eating i hope. well bows are anyway

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 04:18 PM
they swim from the bow and therye full of mercrury and other junk from the bow.
ya there great eating i hope. well bows are anyway

No fish ladders for poop pipe trout to get into Ghost.

Dustin.....no need to crap on his pics

Nice pics once again....looked like a beautiful day

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
No fish ladders for poop pipe trout to get into Ghost.

Dustin.....no need to crap on his pics

Nice pics once again....looked like a beautiful day

im not crapping lol iv nvr seen anyone catch stuff like that in there. :)
Hey chubbs does the bow flow in the ghost or out of it?

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
im not crapping lol iv nvr seen anyone catch stuff like that in there. :)
Hey chubbs does the bow flow in the ghost or out of it?

the op has been very kind in posting the pic the way he did.....its a whitefish secret to the locals

The Bow empties into the Res. on the west side.....and then leaves via the headworks on the east side. Very near the dam ghost river also enters the Res.
Lower Bow river fish cant enter Ghost Res, naturally.

iliketrout
04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice job eightdoor. Never heard of trout hitting the bells, but I've only fished with bells at Sylvan.

Anyways, congrats, looks like an awesome way to spend Easter!

Speckle55
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Grats Great feed!!! Dr OZ would be proud of you ..at least eat fish how many times a week ?

FishBrain
04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Nice catch!
thanks for the pics. Glad to see someone can catch in Ghost!

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
the op has been very kind in posting the pic the way he did.....its a whitefish secret to the locals

The Bow empties into the Res. on the west side.....and then leaves via the headworks on the east side. Very near the dam ghost river also enters the Res.
Lower Bow river fish cant enter Ghost Res, naturally.

do you think the mecury would effect the fish there? because i said that on my above post not to eat them.
on the bow i wouldnt because of all the mercry ect

Newspeak
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I didn't think mercury was a problem until you get a lot further downstream.

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
alright NVM me talking about it then.

Albertafisher
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
do you think the mecury would effect the fish there? because i said that on my above post not to eat them.
on the bow i wouldnt because of all the mercry ect

Naw, HG and PB only flow downstream. And there is no significant source of HG or PB above Calgary.

rielbowhunter
04-25-2011, 06:26 PM
nice catch

the local angler
04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
is that a burbot in the top left hand corner of the pic and a few rockies near the center top of the pic? very cool man.

fourpoint
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
why would you keep a ling and two browns that small no wounder the lake is getting harder to fish each year, oh yeah are the top 5 white fish over 30 cm i don't believe they are cause regulations state white fish must be over 30 cm from Ghost lake. :thinking-006:

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Ouch lol.
the browns to mee look prtty big to me...the only thing i was worried about is the high mercury level that dosent exist. but i guess theres lots of fish in the lake the locals know how to get em.

eightdoor
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
why would you keep a ling and two browns that small no wounder the lake is getting harder to fish each year, oh yeah are the top 5 white fish over 30 cm i don't believe they are cause regulations state white fish must be over 30 cm from Ghost lake. :thinking-006:

the top 5 white fish over 30 cm --->Yes man.

jts1
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Out of Ghost... Dude you are the man. That lake kicks my azz everytime.

Braun
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
FH7, twice I have caught and kept a legal size brown from the bow. (Only a couple cm from the limit). the mercury content is fine. ALL FRESHWATER FISH HAVE SOME MERCURY IN THEM. humans can tolerate low doses of mercury. check the regs page for the *suggested weekly fish consumption limits. content is higher in the bow yes, but not lethal by any means. also if you read carefully, the concern about mercury levels in the bow is BELOW the Bassano dam. far far far downstream from calgary and even farther from ghost. This will be from fertilizers and chit like that from the farm land. Additionally, the concern is towards pike and walleye. not trout. People are miffed about eating fish below the city because of the million+ people living there. city has a very good water treatment facility. the water quality is actually extremely good. the fish in the waters around the city are fine and tasty. no different the eating the muddy stocked trout who are raise on a food similar to dog food

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
FH7, twice I have caught and kept a legal size brown from the bow. (Only a couple cm from the limit). the mercury content is fine. ALL FRESHWATER FISH HAVE SOME MERCURY IN THEM. humans can tolerate low doses of mercury. check the regs page for the *suggested weekly fish consumption limits. content is higher in the bow yes, but not lethal by any means. also if you read carefully, the concern about mercury levels in the bow is BELOW the Bassano dam. far far far downstream from calgary and even farther from ghost. This will be from fertilizers and chit like that from the farm land. Additionally, the concern is towards pike and walleye. not trout. People are miffed about eating fish below the city because of the million+ people living there. city has a very good water treatment facility. the water quality is actually extremely good. the fish in the waters around the city are fine and tasty. no different the eating the muddy stocked trout who are raise on a food similar to dog food

i havent kept any from the bow but i have herd some pretty scary stories on it.
i know all fish fish have mercruy on it but the stuff built on to the polution on the bow worries me and im sure that the smaller ones have less murcury then the bigger ones from the food chain.
PS: some homeless guy told me when i was fishing they dug out holes beside the bwo to put there atr or whatever some solotion to dip there logs in there for the railway. they filled it with dirt now its leaking into the bow. go talk to the city theyyd love to tell you some of there secrets

Newspeak
04-25-2011, 08:14 PM
This will be from fertilizers and chit like that from the farm land.

Mercury is naturally occurring and leaches into the water from the soil. Just fyi.

icefever
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Sad to see a harvest like that on the lake, its about time people started to respect our fishery and let them go, this is not a stocked lake and it can't take the pressure like it has been these last few years. A couple of those white look awfully small, really doubt they make 30 cm.

Albertafisher
04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Mercury is naturally occurring and leaches into the water from the soil. Just fyi.

But not in significant quantities, it only is highly concentrated in human-influenced areas and natural deposits. But natural deposits aren't as common.

Braun
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Sad to see a harvest like that on the lake, its about time people started to respect our fishery and let them go, this is not a stocked lake and it can't take the pressure like it has been these last few years. A couple of those white look awfully small, really doubt they make 30 cm.

well maybe you should take a year off fishing, lighten the pressure on some of our waterways. I dont see the purpose to you chitting on someone elses pictures. 4 guys caught those fish and they did not poach any of them (I would bet those whites are over 30cm) The regulations are what the regulations are and it is not anyones right to speak down to anyone who decides to keep fish while still within the fishing regulations. If you have an issue,complain about the regulations. Dont be all elitist saying he should have released them. like i said, if your that concerned about the fishing pressure, take a year off.

ps. Since I didnt say it before, nice catch an a lake that is extremely hard to fish.

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 08:35 PM
where do i buy one of those bell hooks......every time i go to Ghost the camera is full of whitefish. I dont fish for them...but be fun way to pass some time waiting for lakers

Newspeak
04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
But not in significant quantities, it only is highly concentrated in human-influenced areas and natural deposits. But natural deposits aren't as common.

Interesting. I was more speaking from what I read in the regulations, than from personal knowledge on the subject.
In the regs its says "Most mercury accumulation in Alberta fish come from natural sources." , from pg.23 (Consumption advisory)

Daceminnow
04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
well maybe you should take a year off fishing, lighten the pressure on some of our waterways. I dont see the purpose to you chitting on someone elses pictures. 4 guys caught those fish and they did not poach any of them (I would bet those whites are over 30cm) The regulations are what the regulations are and it is not anyones right to speak down to anyone who decides to keep fish while still within the fishing regulations. If you have an issue,complain about the regulations. Dont be all elitist saying he should have released them. like i said, if your that concerned about the fishing pressure, take a year off.

ps. Since I didnt say it before, nice catch an a lake that is extremely hard to fish.

nicely said Sir. he's not the only one shooting this gentleman down for posting pics of a fine days catch on this thread. i don't know the res. enough to comment a ton, but do know of several people that fish there regularly in the summer and mark a ton of fish and don't catch many. good to see there is still water that people need to work for their catch. jealousy is a wicked thing.

Dace

Albertafisher
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting. I was more speaking from what I read in the regulations, than from personal knowledge on the subject.
In the regs its says "Most mercury accumulation in Alberta fish come from natural sources." , from pg.23 (Consumption advisory)

Hmm, that's an interesting fact. I've read different. I may be wrong. But from what I have heard the government is trying to cover their butt for the industrial activities that leech HG toxins (and other toxins) into the water. I think a former post is proof of that.
But geologically Mercury isn't too common...

fishstalker
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I cannot take it anymore

Ghost if full of fish, you just have to know where to go and what to use

my one tip

stay away from the norm

Speckle55
04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Agree:)

Commander B
04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
As it looks to me those are LAKE WHITES (not listed in the site specific regs ....... 10 any size??)
Rockys yes must be over 30cm.

Very nice work !!!!!!

(ps from what i have seen at that lake the size of those whites is well above what we think they are)

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
where do i buy one of those bell hooks......every time i go to Ghost the camera is full of whitefish. I dont fish for them...but be fun way to pass some time waiting for lakers

go to sylvanlke cast away or GTI in sylvan. there bells are tapered in the bottom from small to big to big a better thump and more vibrations/flash

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I chatted with the crew doing the reno at the gas station and they told me fishing for whites was super good.
they said fisheries had been doing alot of studies on the whites and stopped in alot for coffee. They were told where to fish and that the population was near out of control.

The Fisherman Guy
04-25-2011, 09:00 PM
some homeless guy told me when i was fishing they dug out holes beside the bwo to put there atr or whatever some solotion to dip there logs in there for the railway.

Wilbur, is that you?

Dude you have some great advice, and you have done some homework on fishing. If people are going to take you seriously, SPELL CHECK and write like the well rounded fisherman that you are.

PLEASE!!!!

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Wilbur, is that you?

Dude you have some great advice, and you have done some homework on fishing. If people are going to take you seriously, SPELL CHECK and write like the well rounded fisherman that you are.

PLEASE!!!!

i just cant figure out why anyone dug holes next to the Blue Wing Olives

eightdoor
04-25-2011, 09:11 PM

reply again:
the top 5 white fish over 30 cm ,all we measured,release 8
Mt whitefish.

Woolly Bugger
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Braun, I respect what you have stated and mostly agree with your sentiment. You must also remember this is a public internet forum and thoughts and opinions will differ whether others think it is right or wrong. I really don't think the poster is being "elitist" because they stated their opinion. It is simply that, their "opinion" and they are entitled to it whether you, I or others like it. I highly doubt many would jump on someone if all these fish were released and they chimed in by saying "what a waste of time, why would you release all those fish, I would have kept them all" right ? If I post pictures on an internet forum, I do so knowing some may like it, some may not, that's the way it is.

Woolly Bugger
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
As it looks to me those are LAKE WHITES (not listed in the site specific regs ....... 10 any size??)
Rockys yes must be over 30cm.

Very nice work !!!!!!

(ps from what i have seen at that lake the size of those whites is well above what we think they are)

The 5 smaller fish in the top/middle of the photograph are Rocky Mountain Whitefish.

Newspeak
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
But from what I have heard the government is trying to cover their butt for the industrial activities that leech HG toxins (and other toxins) into the water. I think a former post is proof of that.

I wouldn't be too shocked if that was the case. I'm accepting of the fact the fishing regulation guide is not the foremost authority on the subject of mercury in Alberta.

Newspeak
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM

X2

My friend spoke with a gentleman returning home from Ghost with some Lake Whites. He said they were the biggest Whites he had ever seen.

fourpoint
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
EightDoor, i just raised a question,if there over 30 cm i have no problem nice catch.

Braun, stop fishing why should i, i don't keep anything out of ghost except the odd ling over 10 lbs

Daceminnow, Jealousy, i don't think so Catch a lot of fish out of the lake and don't keep them.

The lake it's self the quality of the fish has dropped dramatically over the last 8 years, how do i know this i have fished the Lake now for 28 years.

Note the sucker spawn up the Ghost River has gone from thousands to a couple hundred in the last year , every year the lake fills in a little more and more.

Daceminnow
04-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Daceminnow, Jealousy, i don't think so Catch a lot of fish out of the lake and don't keep them.

The lake it's self the quality of the fish has dropped dramatically over the last 8 years, how do i know this i have fished the Lake now for 28 years.[/QUOTE]

right on. good for you. jealousy may have been a bit harsh. you did mention the fish are getting harder and harder to catch every year. i was unsure where you were going with that statement. good thing you still no how to get em after that many years on the same body of water. that's a real advantage. i had no idea you've fished there for 28 years. that is impressive. it's nice to see some folks being able to keep a feed of fish so close to a city of over a million people. we really are fortunate. you ever use those gold bells?

yada
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Is Ghost Lake a good fishing spot durring the summer?
What kind and size of lures should you use there for MT White?

fourpoint
04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Daceminnow, have used the bells, they work a small gold spoon works just as well too.

Yada, the lake during the summer is hard to fish, with the increase of recreational usage on the lake some weekends can be a hour wait on the dock to get in or out.

Plus now with the introduction of 350 year round cabins being built on the lake it is going to get busier than ever

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Daceminnow, have used the bells, they work a small gold spoon works just as well too.

Yada, the lake during the summer is hard to fish, with the increase of recreational usage on the lake some weekends can be a hour wait on the dock to get in or out.

Plus now with the introduction of 350 year round cabins being built on the lake it is going to get busier than ever

that new launch will be great entertainment with a vicious west wind

walking buffalo
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
The lake it's self the quality of the fish has dropped dramatically over the last 8 years, how do i know this i have fished the Lake now for 28 years.

Note the sucker spawn up the Ghost River has gone from thousands to a couple hundred in the last year , every year the lake fills in a little more and more.

Could there be a connection here?

Lakes and reservoirs have lifespans. It may not be over-harvesting that is causing a potential decrease in specific fish population.

Jwood 456
04-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Congrats on the the catch eightdoor. Sure looks you will have lots of nice yummy fish dinners now.lol. As, For cooking the whitefish, I find that the whitefish taste awesome in pancake batter.

PS:Speaking of Ghost Lake, I hear there are lake trout in there. Has anyone caught lake trout out of there fairly recently?:thinking-006:

fourpoint
04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Chubbdarter i can't wait till the ice comes off and the wind howls and piles four feet of ice on his boat launch lol and good luck launching a boat on there with the Chinooks we get .

walking buffalo, i believe it is all adding up over the years it all combined together hoping we don't lose it totally would be such a shame

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Chubbdarter i can't wait till the ice comes off and the wind howls and piles four feet of ice on his boat launch lol and good luck launching a boat on there with the Chinooks we get .

walking buffalo, i believe it is all adding up over the years it all combined together hoping we don't lose it totally would be such a shame

hahahahaa....i can see a truck and trailer parked on the ramp and the boat catching the next wave and parking itself 50 yards up the ramp past the trailer

bubbles
04-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Congrats!

Might have to make my way out there this weekend if the ice is still prime..

what's the depth of the ice?

Gust
04-26-2011, 12:14 AM
i havent kept any from the bow but i have herd some pretty scary stories on it.
i know all fish fish have mercruy on it but the stuff built on to the polution on the bow worries me and im sure that the smaller ones have less murcury then the bigger ones from the food chain.
PS: some homeless guy told me when i was fishing they dug out holes beside the bwo to put there atr or whatever some solotion to dip there logs in there for the railway. they filled it with dirt now its leaking into the bow. go talk to the city theyyd love to tell you some of there secrets

There was a Lumber company that stored and treated railway ties near GSL in Calgary, some seeped into the ground and migrated towards the Bow, but under the river and above the underground river,, it couldn't be drilled for, for worry of fracture and it did not appear to move further. The area was cordoned off with a bern for some years and is now cemented. If creosote reacts with sunlight it becomes a noxious gas if it made it into the underground river it would have killed most everything. Creosote was known to be quite harmful in concentrate and was never used in dipping pools.

As for Ghost, there are fish there and it takes dedication. We find that teardrops jigged slowly just below the ice works quite well. Royal Coachmen with wings clipped further West is really good but the ice is very scary and inconsistent.

Nice Haul!!!

Kokanee9
04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice catch.
I had no idea what a bell looked like until I saw it in the picture, thanks! I had seen them mentioned before, but didn't ask any questions about them.

DidsburyBowHunter
04-26-2011, 01:42 AM

I don't disagree with these guys keeping their fish.. looks like a great catch and a fun day for them (especially on ghost). but this comment might be mis-read. Yes most mercury accumulation in alberta fish come from natural resources, MOST... Alberta has too many uncontaminated rivers and lakes to count. But if you think the fish from the lower bow close to calgary are in this category you are crazy.

Newspeak
04-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Misread it all you want; it's strait from the regs, so no skin off my nose.

Gust
11-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Bump,,, because it's an entertaining read for newbies and oldies and it has an early FH7, who should be back online next Tuesday.

BeeGuy
11-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Original OP only ever posted in this thread,

I'm suspicious.

Gust
11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Original OP only ever posted in this thread,

I'm suspicious.

I think it was from the overly friendly and cozy response he got,, you know, that warm cuddly thing you get from the fishing forums.

But commander needs to learn his whitefish type

BeeGuy
11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Looks like a dozen lake whites to me.

Gust
11-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Looks like a dozen lake whites to me.

rmw's caught in a dammed river.

Dan Foss
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
there are lake whites in ghost as well Gus. and most of those look like lake whites. There are a couple that look like rockies though

Gust
11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
there are lake whites in ghost as well Gus. and most of those look like lake whites. There are a couple that look like rockies though

grumble grumble grumble,,, long pause,,, grumble grumble grumble

I beg to differ but that's just moi.

chubbdarter
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
grumble grumble grumble,,, long pause,,, grumble grumble grumble

I beg to differ but that's just moi.

sorry i couldnt find a more recent study

http://books.google.ca/books?id=uPgDwqflBNsC&pg=PA563&lpg=PA563&dq=whitefish+studies+on+ghost+reservoir&source=bl&ots=DMad-zcJWY&sig=LUBDGrp-pSmSTSHWg-BLK_iBNhs&hl=en&ei=fe66TqGSGIKqiALn973_BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

if its was about walleye i'd still be digging for current data....haha

Gust
11-09-2011, 02:55 PM

http://books.google.ca/books?id=uPgDwqflBNsC&pg=PA563&lpg=PA563&dq=whitefish+studies+on+ghost+reservoir&source=bl&ots=DMad-zcJWY&sig=LUBDGrp-pSmSTSHWg-BLK_iBNhs&hl=en&ei=fe66TqGSGIKqiALn973_BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I stand corrected

can you find the travers numbers?

chubbdarter
11-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I stand corrected

can you find the travers numbers?

Still digging gus

Gust
11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Look at page 568 about the rez, a 31cm perch was caught in a test net.

It's a blurry read but it says that Rainbow were introduced unsuccessfully,,, so what are the rainbow that I'm catching or the big spawners that others have caught? I knew kokanee were into'd and failed but who's to say the lake trout failed,, maybe they just linger near the dam,, I dunno.

But the lake whites in Ghost?? who shnew

BeeGuy
11-09-2011, 03:57 PM

It's a blurry read but it says that Rainbow were introduced unsuccessfully,,, so what are the rainbow that I'm catching or the big spawners that others have caught? I knew kokanee were into'd and failed but who's to say the lake trout failed,, maybe they just linger near the dam,, I dunno.

There's still lakers in there.

Perhaps the whites in the picture are just 50cm++ RM whites.

Apparently RM whites can live 15 years or more.

I'm wondering if there could be 2 populations of RM whites. One which spawns in the Ghost River and one which spawns in the west end of the lake/Bow R.

BeeGuy
11-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Sweet reference.

Largest lake white caught in a single set was 4.4kg. sweeeeeet.

Gust
11-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Sorry, I just wrote rez on here and I should've said Glenmore Rez,,, Lakers were introduced and they said the rainbows intro'd unsuccessfully,,

Dan Foss
11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry, I just wrote rez on here and I should've said Glenmore Rez,,, Lakers were introduced and they said the rainbows intro'd unsuccessfully,,

I thought the rainbows were in there naturally from the elbow. Kokanee was introduced unsuccessfully to glenmore though.

BeeGuy
11-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Although the discussion about lake whites is over.

Here is recent evidence, caught by azn_rice_man.

drhu22
11-12-2011, 02:00 AM

no trolling!!!

azn_rice_man
11-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Although the discussion about lake whites is over.

Here is recent evidence, caught by azn_rice_man.

Nice fish there, buddy! :sHa_shakeshout:

Bigdad013
11-24-2011, 12:21 AM
My son and I are going to start this winter sport, called Ice fishing. We would appreciate any help with jigs, bait etc..for use at Ghost Lake or any suggestions for a successful outing.

Also in search of a used power auger...

buckman
11-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Ghost has a large population of fish.I have been over it with a fish finder.Keeping a few wont damage it much.

They are tough to catch though,probably because of the large amount of natural feed in the lake.Ditto for Glenmore.

slivers86
11-24-2011, 08:02 AM
My son and I are going to start this winter sport, called Ice fishing. We would appreciate any help with jigs, bait etc..for use at Ghost Lake or any suggestions for a successful outing.

Also in search of a used power auger...

Check the buy and sell forum. Many people selling power/gas/manual augers for discount!

Oilberta
11-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Silvers
My suggestion is to try Spray Lakes. Ghost is a hard lake to fish unless you know how. I have yet to find someone to teach me, but Spray lakes is a little easier