PDA

View Full Version : jon boat question

ORV
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
has anyone here fished out of a 10' one?
i fished out of a 12' aluminum & liked it.
i was wondering on the capacity issue as the trakker
one from bass pro says max weight 320lbs
max person 280lbs.
is that 600lb combined then?
if total is 320lbs that sounds pretty light.
that would be me & my tackle box .lol. no motor, etc.
the 12' we were in had a 9.9 & 4 people in it & it was fine.
appreciate an info.

thanks

orv.

densa44
04-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I think the 10 foot one is for when you are 12 years old, that way 280 lbs of people can go a long way. Not so far as we get older.Longer is better. The longer boat at the same load will draw less water and be easy to row and plane easier.

ORV
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
i agree the 12 would be better.
it is mainly a space & transporting issue.
the 10' i could probably haul with my truck & trailer.
the 12' i couldn,t.
easier to load the 10 by myself as well.

orv.

gordfishing
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
14 ft I have is great , the width across the back is important too, I think I am 55 inches holds three adults really good two and a motor my 2 cents

Cal
04-25-2011, 10:24 PM
the 12' i couldn,t.

orv.

As long as you've got a full sized truck with a box at least 6' long you should be able to haul a 12' John boat. I haul a 16 foot canoe sticking over the tailgate of an 8' box with no problems. If you have a headache rack sticking it over both the cab and tailgate is a little better.

dodger
04-26-2011, 07:04 AM
the 12' i couldn,t.

orv.

Hello Orv.
I had a 12' for several years and manhandled it on my truck regulary. The issue is that was 14 years ago. If I had to do it now it would be a real work out and probably end up busting my back. Depending what your setup is with the camper maybe there are some pulley options to help or a cheap winch from Princess Auto to replace the manual labour??

In the end I hope whatever you do works out.

Regards, Dodger.

ORV
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
thanks dodger. i will probably have to put my racks on
& hook up the trailer to see exactly what i have to work with.

we will have to try & hook up this season.

been a long time.

orv.

Calgaryguy1977
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone know if one of those smaller jon boats would get swamped in a place like upper k or spray if the wind picks up and white caps the water?

CanAlta
04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I have a 10' Marlon "Superwide"- http://www.marlonproducts.com/jon-boat-specs.asp?JonID=1

It weighs less than 100lbs and is easy to hand bomb into the truck by myself. Its solid and sturdy and good for two adults.

If you're looking for an alterntive to a pontoon this is it. Otherwise, I'd go for something bigger.

dodger
04-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Anyone know if one of those smaller jon boats would get swamped in a place like upper k or spray if the wind picks up and white caps the water?

If the wind picks up they get difficult to steer and you will definitely get wet. I picked my days when I went onto larger bodies of water and I really payed attention to the weather the farther I was from my truck.

But on a positive note, there great on smaller lakes and they go into the really shallow water where no one else goes. I used mine in the shallow weed beds going for Pike. Plus you just pull up to the lake and slide it in and your fishing. :sHa_shakeshout:

Regards, Dodger.

32-40win
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
When I went looking for a boat a few years ago I had intended to buy a jon boat. A friend has one he tosses into the back of his Dakota and I was impressed with it. But, I'd seen the wind pick up the front of that boat with just him in it, and I've seen him bailing a couple of times in rough conditions. When I went to buy my boat, a couple of dealers told me jon boats really were designed for rivers and small lakes, they said get a V-hull for bigger lakes. They also said the rough water can swamp a jon boat on a bigger lake.
It strikes me as a bit of a tossup as to where the boundary is on which to use in rougher weather. My buddy gets off the lake fairly quickly when the wind comes up with his jon boat. And a 280lb rating on the 10 footer won't get me and my dog and hunting gear in it.

dodger
04-27-2011, 05:46 AM
thanks dodger. i will probably have to put my racks on
& hook up the trailer to see exactly what i have to work with.

we will have to try & hook up this season.

been a long time.

orv.

Hello Orv.
We should get together this summer for a day on the water. I am off the week of May 16th for fishing. Let me know if you have any days you can sneek out for some Pike fishing at lake ....

:) Dodger.

Harbercraftguy
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
NOT SO FAST!!!!!

I bought a 10' Tracker last year and with 2 adults it is fine.Great for small lakes and is very light.No regrets at all.I have a 12' aluminum boat and it will be for sale shortly.