PDA

View Full Version : Spinner blades

npauls
04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
With the walleye opener just around the corner and me being kind of a rookie to the whole spinner rig set up I am just wondering what guys use for blades and bead colors? I have some spinner rig building materials but mostly just use the pretied northland rigs with the bait fish blades.

Is there any sizes, colors, and shapes of blades that you go to more then others?

Any spinner rig info will probably help me out huge later in the season when moving faster gets you alot more eyes. I mainly fish the southern reservoirs if this makes a difference. I tend to stay away from trolling spinners and mainly jig or drift lindy rigs and slow death but really want to learn more about spinner fishing.

gramps73
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
PM sent..
o ya I like my beer cold...

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
ive changed from spinners to mostly Worden smileys or spin and glows....i hate the clevis/algae mung up

npauls
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Thats weird Darter, My partner gave away a ton of spin and glows a few years ago because he had to many and never really used them.

I don't have any smileys or spin and glows so maybe that will have to be something to look into getting once I get my finances figured out and back on track.

Gramps, There will be beers and always on ice. I will be at chin 3-4 days ahead of the tourney so if you are there early stop by and grab a beer or 7 from the cooler. We will probably be tucked in the very back corner closest to the water in the group site again. Instead of the tiny trailer though I am hoping to have my camper brackets on my truck and the camper parked back there.

Cal
04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I like the colorado style blades because I think they spin better on a slower troll and give the spinner more lift. I like to have brass, silver, chartruse, and bright orange.

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 05:46 PM
look on the color spectrum and use colors that dont disapear in quicky in the watter

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Thats weird Darter, My partner gave away a ton of spin and glows a few years ago because he had to many and never really used them.

I don't have any smileys or spin and glows so maybe that will have to be something to look into getting once I get my finances figured out and back on track.

Gramps, There will be beers and always on ice. I will be at chin 3-4 days ahead of the tourney so if you are there early stop by and grab a beer or 7 from the cooler. We will probably be tucked in the very back corner closest to the water in the group site again. Instead of the tiny trailer though I am hoping to have my camper brackets on my truck and the camper parked back there.

i'll be in the bridge in the next 10 days...i'll bring you some...got cartons full
my favorite travers colors
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/002-32.jpg

npauls
04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Sounds good Darter. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

FH7 I don't fish any deeper then 25-30 feet of water so most colors don't disappear. Would be a good call if I was fishing in 40 feet or deeper though.

I will be ordering a cabelas bead kit whenever I get the chance so I will have a solid selection of beads. I may also order a soft glow bead kit while I am at it. This way I will have pretty much everything needed to build rigs and figure out some solid patterns.

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Sounds good Darter. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

FH7 I don't fish any deeper then 25-30 feet of water so most colors don't disappear. Would be a good call if I was fishing in 40 feet or deeper though.

I will be ordering a cabelas bead kit whenever I get the chance so I will have a solid selection of beads. I may also order a soft glow bead kit while I am at it. This way I will have pretty much everything needed to build rigs and figure out some solid patterns.

well dont use red.
Iv had good experances on multicolored beads. mix and match em. on the bead line use pink,chartuse, ect somthing to attarct them then use your bait to kill em

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
i found in the last few years a tinsel head works better for larger eyes on a clear plexi cutter....it pulses the bait

Daceminnow
04-25-2011, 06:56 PM
With the walleye opener just around the corner and me being kind of a rookie to the whole spinner rig set up I am just wondering what guys use for blades and bead colors? I have some spinner rig building materials but mostly just use the pretied northland rigs with the bait fish blades.

Is there any sizes, colors, and shapes of blades that you go to more then others?

Any spinner rig info will probably help me out huge later in the season when moving faster gets you alot more eyes. I mainly fish the southern reservoirs if this makes a difference. I tend to stay away from trolling spinners and mainly jig or drift lindy rigs and slow death but really want to learn more about spinner fishing.

Hey Nate,

I am shocked to see you've never pulled much for blade rigs. I have always liked the in-fisherman's articles and tv programing. i came across this 4 page article that reads quite well on the different components and the system. i think you'll benefit from it.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/spintastic-walleye-catchers/1#axzz1KaNXrtBg

Dace

npauls
04-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I am surprised that everyone is so shocked that I don't know a ton about blades. I have pulled them before and had some success but I rarely go down that path because I love jigging and lindy rigging so much. I figure this will be the season to sharpen up my blading skills and see what happens.

I will check out that article later tonight after the little rug rat is in bed and see what I can learn from it.

Darter, whats a tinsel head and plexi cutter?

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I am surprised that everyone is so shocked that I don't know a ton about blades. I have pulled them before and had some success but I rarely go down that path because I love jigging and lindy rigging so much. I figure this will be the season to sharpen up my blading skills and see what happens.

I will check out that article later tonight after the little rug rat is in bed and see what I can learn from it.

Darter, whats a tinsel head and plexi cutter?

tinsel head....you know the tinsel insert that goes in a hoochie head
i had some flashers made up of plexi , like the long ones in my garage cleaning thread. they swing back and forth pulseing the bait about 3 inches forward

Cal
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM

nicemustang
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm with you nate, never pulled a spinner until last year and still didn't do it much. But so far, silver or gold colorado or indiana blades have been good to me.

npauls
04-25-2011, 08:26 PM
tinsel head....you know the tinsel insert that goes in a hoochie head
i had some flashers made up of plexi , like the long ones in my garage cleaning thread. they swing back and forth pulseing the bait about 3 inches forward

Ahh I see. I wonder if my grandpa still has all of his old hoochies and rigging set ups for that type of stuff. If he does I will look into it. I can get tons of plexi or lexan so I could make something. Never heard of that technique for eyes.

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Ahh I see. I wonder if my grandpa still has all of his old hoochies and rigging set ups for that type of stuff. If he does I will look into it. I can get tons of plexi or lexan so I could make something. Never heard of that technique for eyes.

my guide buddy down in Dalles taught me that trick

bobalong
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I use foilistic and holigraphic blades and translucent,bicone,or silver lined beads, they seem to reflect the best.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/IMG_2308.jpg

HOGSLAYER
04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
I use foilistic and holigraphic blades and translucent,bicone,or silver lined beads, they seem to reflect the best.

Long time no hear whats shaken buddy?
ps nice spin on the spinner.:sHa_shakeshout:

Fishfinder
04-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Hmmm, interesting set-up. I'm assuming you tip it with bait? or no? I mostly jig for walleye so I find this quite interesting.
I'd bite that!:tongue0017:

npauls
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
How does that rig do with the slow death hook on it? For crawlers it should roll like crazy but I wouldn't think it would be a benefit to use the slow death hooks if you are using leeches or minnows. When I tow slow death I usually just run the hook with a single bead and a mono or fluoro leader.

bobalong
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Hmmm, interesting set-up. I'm assuming you tip it with bait? or no? I mostly jig for walleye so I find this quite interesting.
I'd bite that!:tongue0017:

I like jigging as well, but when your searching for walleye, or when they are spread out, a bouncer/spinner is pretty hard to beat IMO.
I usually run a single hook for leeches, unless I am using the 5 inch ones. I tie them double hook for gulp crawlers or minnows.

bobalong
04-26-2011, 02:40 PM
How does that rig do with the slow death hook on it? For crawlers it should roll like crazy but I wouldn't think it would be a benefit to use the slow death hooks if you are using leeches or minnows. When I tow slow death I usually just run the hook with a single bead and a mono or fluoro leader.

The slow death doesn't really roll the crawler that much, just a nice slow roll.
I have used them with leeches (5") and minnows to, it seems to work with any bait, but have not really seen them work much better than standard hooks.

bobalong
04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Long time no hear whats shaken buddy?
ps nice spin on the spinner.:sHa_shakeshout:

Same old, same old, I might be down there for the next 2-3 days, momma has a conference.

dennisb
04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Running blades very slowly is one of my favorite ways to catch Walleyes. I usually look for a good spot any start trolling very slowly ( between 0.5 to .08 m/hr). either tipped with 2 leeches or a big dew worm in the middle to give it the duel tail look. Its a good way to cover a bunch of ground till you find them. If I remember I'll take a few pictures when i get home tonight of my favorite blades. My most productive rig was the one my daughter made ( 7yrs old) its got lots of red & pink.

bobalong
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I usually pull blades at about 1 mph, if I need to slow down, I will switch to smiley's which spin at about .2 or .3 mph.
I dont use a whole bunch of different colored blades, but do use quite a few different size and shaped ones, and most of all of them reflect the light pretty well. While pulling blades I do not actually see a lot of color on the blade but when you add a few lines for contrast they show up really well. I do use see the color of the beads more and use quite a few different colors and sizes, most of them some kind of bicone, or translucent which also reflect well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/IMG_0526.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/IMG_0525.jpg

I tie up my smiley's with a tandem blade, and will do the same with colorado's, usually in two diffferent sizes though
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/IMG_0529.jpg

chubbdarter
04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
lol we organize our spinner boxes differently.....notice im more of a free spirit....hahhahaha

Braun
04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
I usually pull blades at about 1 mph, if I need to slow down, I will switch to smiley's which spin at about .2 or .3 mph.
I dont use a whole bunch of different colored blades, but do use quite a few different size and shaped ones, and most of all of them reflect the light pretty well. While pulling blades I do not actually see a lot of color on the blade but when you add a few lines for contrast they show up really well. I do use see the color of the beads more and use quite a few different colors and sizes, most of them some kind of bicone, or translucent which also reflect well.

do you notice a big difference tying your spinners with 2 blades? why do you choose to do it that way? and how(2beads- blade - 3-5 beads - blade? with the larger blade on top)?

Fishfinder
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
I've honestly never spun for Eyes that I can recall. Man I need to evolve from chucking bait lol.....nahhh.
Stang could offer u some tips too, if he's in the mood:sHa_sarcasticlol:. Unless, I'm jigging with a lil bait or casting out minnows on the SSR, I'm slightly "walleye challenged" but still find them quite easy to wrangle. Lake fishing -just need to find where there holding...I can't help ya there.

bobalong
04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
do you notice a big difference tying your spinners with 2 blades? why do you choose to do it that way? and how(2beads- blade - 3-5 beads - blade? with the larger blade on top)?

I have noticed it quite a bit better for the smiley's not so much for the colorado's. I usually tie 3 or 4 beads, smiley, 2 beads, smiley and then two more beads, but I am sure they work any number of ways.
For the colorado set up I tie about the same amount of beads with the larger blade on the front and the smaller one behind.
With the two smiley's you get twice the flash, the same with the colorado and you also get twice the "thump". The reason I do it is just to try something that looks or "feels" a little different to the walleye, and maybe get me that extra fish or that one "kicker" I need when tournament fishing.
I have been pulling blades for walleye since about 1990 and they have found, and caught me more walleye than any other presentation I have used.

I caught my biggest walleye in Alberta to date (10.6) pulling a blade. This was at Pigeon back in the crazy days.........man I miss those days.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/35c0d038.jpg

npauls
04-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I will slowly have to start picking up more types, sizes, and colors of blades I guess. Also need to get a better bead selection.

I will still probably buy the pretied northland rigs but also look into getting other blades seperate.

Does anyone use the XPS blades from bass pro? They have a pretty nice color selection on them and look like they could be a decent blade.

chubbdarter
04-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I will slowly have to start picking up more types, sizes, and colors of blades I guess. Also need to get a better bead selection.

I will still probably buy the pretied northland rigs but also look into getting other blades seperate.

Does anyone use the XPS blades from bass pro? They have a pretty nice color selection on them and look like they could be a decent blade.

nate tying tandem rigs is easy....let you custom tie for big dewwies and use your favorite line

rsako
04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi folks,

i'm still pretty new around here on AO...but thought I'd pop in a say I love this thread. I'm just an 'ol fly tier and just started tying walleye rigs a few weeks ago for our new family walleye boat :sHa_shakeshout:

Keep the samples coming. :)

BTW...go to Michaels (the craft store) when your hard core fishin' buddies ain't lookin'...and buy your beads there. You can get a zillion styles at a cut rate price for 100's...not just 20 or 50 at triple the price!

Blades seem to be the pricey item for me. I'd like to find cheaper / bulk options...

Fishfinder
04-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Beauty Eye Bob. Nice looking Walleye.
Thanx for sharing pic.:)

ULTRAlite
04-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Beauty Eye Bob. Nice looking Walleye.
Thanx for sharing pic.:)

X2

Been tying my own rigs for a few years now in all the shapes and colors already described - however, last year I tried the shaky blades setup for the first time... outfished the regular rigs. Anyone else havin luck on em?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/imagesProducts/big/3861124.jpg

npauls
04-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Ya Darter,

I tied some pretied double snell rigs up last year so I could just grab one off the holder and slide whatever beads and blades on wanted on them. I ended up tying a bunch with 3-4 different lbs test lines and also did up a bunch with different colored hooks. I didn't really use many of these rigs so I have to cut them all up and just make a few for now. I don't have enough floats, beads, or blades to have much variety so I either have to order some of that stuff or pretied northland rigs with it all set up already. I will look into both options but I am pretty sure that the materials to tie my own will work out to be alot cheaper then the pretied rigs.

npauls
04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I have a few of those shake blade set ups and I have yet to get a hit on them at all but my dad who was fishing a normal spinner rig set up was getting hits and landing fish the whole time.

nicemustang
04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
This is a good thread, i agree. Always can learn a thing or two...I haven't tried the smiley's either. Best tip here is the black lines. More than one person has told me that and it does seem to make all the difference.

rsako
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
This is a good thread, i agree. Always can learn a thing or two...I haven't tried the smiley's either. Best tip here is the black lines. More than one person has told me that and it does seem to make all the difference.

Hey Stang...do you mean the black line variations on the spinner blades? like the swaying black back on a "Fire Tiger" type lure or blade?

curious...

mikeo2
05-21-2011, 12:14 PM
What size and type of line are you guys using to tie these up?

Drop_Tine
05-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I use 12-14 lbs suffix mono

gramps73
05-21-2011, 04:30 PM
15 LBS Seaguar, I have used this from Steelhead to walleye.