PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Creeks and Rivers to Fish...

Lethbridge_Keith
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Hello to everyone.

I am seeking some help on where to go fishing for small trout (but not limited to) within 100 km of Lethbridge. We just moved here and we would like to find nice area's to explore and fish in streams and small rivers and the odd lake. I heard someone mention "the Gap" but do not really know if this is somewhere near Beaver Mines?

I am interested in taking a peek at the Crow's Nest Lake and river/creek there. I've heard of the Milk River, Oldman River (obviously), and Lynx Creek?

Anyone who can find the time to drop me a memo on "how to" get to that nice spot, I'd appreciate it! We don't have a big truck we drive a wagon/car so no bigfoot trials please!! LOL

Thank you kindly to all who reply!

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
the crosnest river fosure. but if you dry to calgary and fish the bow you will not be disapointed. the trunk road is beside you too so use some big drys on small creeks

uplander
04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
the gap is a section on the oldman river when it blows through a narrow section of the valley it's got great fishing!

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
castle(2), carbondale, lynx,....great forestry roads to these creek and great camping.....just remember this is potential griz country. Though ive only seen griz in the Fall, be careful.
Little beaver mines creek and Gladstone are fun for little fish and the odd good bull trout.
All the small tribs of the Crow and Oldman are good dry fly fishing....Gold creek has alot of brookies and fairly nice size for a 6 foot wide creek.
The Belly river is tough but rewarding fishing for arctic grayling
The waterton river leaving the Nat park has a tremendous fall fishery with some large trout.
The waterton river as it leaves waterton dam also has some quality fishing
The St Mary's above and below the dam is very good flyfishing.

That area is where my youth was spent and i sneak down there with the wife when ever we can....its heavan and nothing has changed.....notice i didnt list the Crow, the Crow is still good but not like my younger days. Sadly 1 writer that i respect as a good fisherman has invited the whole world to the
Crow....and they showed up.

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
castle(2), carbondale, lynx,....great forestry roads to these creek and great camping.....just remember this is potential griz country. Though ive only seen griz in the Fall, be careful.
Little beaver mines creek and Gladstone are fun for little fish and the odd good bull trout.
All the small tribs of the Crow and Oldman are good dry fly fishing....Gold creek has alot of brookies and fairly nice size for a 6 foot wide creek.
The waterton river leaving the Nat park has a tremendous fall fishery with some large trout.

That area is where my youth was spent and i sneak down there with the wife when ever we can....its heavan and nothing has changed.....notice i didnt list the Crow, the Crow is still good but not like my younger days. Sadly 1 writer that i respect as a good fisherman has invited the whole world to the

haha barry mitchel

npauls
04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I was going to mention a few places but it looks like Darter has mentioned them all already. Tons of water around here to go check out and usually not enough time in the season to see everything that you would plan on seeing. Its endless and there is nice fish to be found everywhere.

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
haha barry mitchel

nope not Barry.....ask a local from the Pass

Daceminnow
04-25-2011, 07:22 PM

you say nothing has changed down there chubb? i also grew up fishing the rivers and streams in the west castle area. i have not been back down there in some twenty odd years. i had heard though that years ago the run off flooding in that country completely changed the castle rivers and a lot of the tribs. is there any truth to that?

Dust1n
04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
also if you follow a creek for along time you get to a place where theres a ton of fish! and big ones too. iv proved it lots of times in Blindman, elk, shunda, oldman, ectect dont over look no name creek too

chubbdarter
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
you say nothing has changed down there chubb? i also grew up fishing the rivers and streams in the west castle area. i have not been back down there in some twenty odd years. i had heard though that years ago the run off flooding in that country completely changed the castle rivers and a lot of the tribs. is there any truth to that?

some areas got flattened out and became like a beaver pond full of willows...the canyon hasnt changed.
I know some of the hard to get places are now some fine spawning areas with really high concentrations of gravel.
There is too many deep cut bank runs to count thanks to the wash out.
Guys said the oldman dam would effect the Castle, i havent noticed anything...its still a great hopper/dropper river to me
Is it the Corbin imo.....no.....is it quality....foresure

i quess 2 things have changed....ive never seen so many cougars and bears