PDA

View Full Version : Budget Sturgeon Setup

stephane
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I have decided i would like to take advantage of the NSR this year, seeing as its so close yet i have paid it no attention in the past.

I'm looking to pick up a rod/reel setup to try for some sturgeon this year and was wondering what others have chosen as a rod and reel combo.

I dont want to spend a whole lot on more gear, and most of my gear aside from ice fishing is pretty light duty.

what would something like the shakespeare arsenal combo at WSS put up with?

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fresh-sal****er-fishing/rod-reel-combos/arsenal-big-water-spinning-combo/prod293601.html

Teamprotz
04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
You don't really need special equipment , although , it is easier on the fish using heavier equipment to get them in a little faster. A med/heavy 7ft rod with a casting reel , good drag and braided line and you're set. The kids and I use 7ft6 flipping rods with Abu Eon reels and Powerpro 8-30 line. Kids have no problem bringing in fish ranging up to 50lbs. Kids are 10,8 and 4 and all have landed sturgeon ! (sask side )

Mish@
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
So lets say I have a 7 foot 6'' Rapala Magnum rod and a Shimano Sahara reel in a size 4000. Would that work for sturgeon?

fishpro
04-25-2011, 09:08 PM
So lets say I have a 7 foot 6'' Rapala Magnum rod and a Shimano Sahara reel in a size 4000. Would that work for sturgeon?

What line size is the rod rated for?

It's not so much an issue of whether or not you'll get them it, it's an issue of how fast and if the fish can recover. A heavier rod is much better for this, as after a long fight the fish can swim off fine but then die later due to lactic acid build up.

stephane
04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
i was confused by WSS purchase options, they have it listed as two different options with a size 60 and size 70 reel,

however on the shakespeare website they say the only combo rod comes with a "AR20GR" reel with or without line counter. so is the WSS ad just screwed up?

also shakespeare lists the reel as light duty, but it doesnt appear to be. and its rated for 330 yards of 20lb mono

Geezle
04-25-2011, 09:22 PM

What's the action on the rod? I've got the same reel and used it on my sturgeon setup last year with 50lb braided line and was very happy with how it performed :)

Edit: for the OP this combo should fit your budget as well if you're looking for an inexpensive spinning option :)
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3852143&enlargeSkuz=20881&PRODUCTSEARCH=

Mish@
04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
The Magnum is meant for up to 25 Lb. but thats mono. I usually run braid so i am sure I can run 40 Lb Power Pro if necessary

Mish@
04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
What line size is the rod rated for?

It's not so much an issue of whether or not you'll get them it, it's an issue of how fast and if the fish can recover. A heavier rod is much better for this, as after a long fight the fish can swim off fine but then die later due to lactic acid build up.

What's the action on the rod? I've got the same reel and used it on my sturgeon setup last year with 50lb braided line and was very happy with how it performed :)

I havent used My sahara yet. Im taking it to Newell next weekend. How is the reel? do u like it?

Geezle
04-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I havent used My sahara yet. Im taking it to Newell next weekend. How is the reel? do u like it?

Yeah, I like mine. I've put it through a lot of crap and abuse down at the river and it's held up very well through all of it. Great reel for the price.

Mish@
04-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I like mine. I've put it through a lot of crap and abuse down at the river and it's held up very well through all of it. Great reel for the price.

Have you replaced your drag washers yet? how often should your replace it?

stephane
04-25-2011, 09:33 PM
i suppose that would be another question that will come up

the difference between spinning and casting reel... more personal preference, or will one be of any significant advantage?

Geezle
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Have you replaced your drag washers yet? how often should your replace it?

Never replaced mine...don't replace them until you need to I suppose?

When you put your rod away at the end of the day crank the drag all the way back so there is no compression on the washers while it's just sitting and they'll last a lot longer.

Mish@
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Never replaced mine...don't replace them until you need to I suppose?

When you put your rod away at the end of the day crank the drag all the way back so there is no compression on the washers while it's just sitting and they'll last a lot longer.

Sweet thanks for the tip :)

Geezle
04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
i suppose that would be another question that will come up

the difference between spinning and casting reel... more personal preference, or will one be of any significant advantage?

Ha! I just asked this question a couple days ago and there's really no straight answer to it. Mainly, as far as I'm concerned it's a preference thing.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=89896

stephane
04-25-2011, 09:43 PM
haha, right, I even read into that thread before.
guess my main concern would be getting past the baitcasting learning curve as well as tackling a river ive never really tried, this season should be interesting, anyone offering lessons? lol

Geezle
04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
haha, right, I even read into that thread before.
guess my main concern would be getting past the baitcasting learning curve as well as tackling a river ive never really tried, this season should be interesting, anyone offering lessons? lol

I'm sure I can get ya out on the river somewhere sometime. As for lessons, particularly regarding the baitcaster with me it would be the blind leading the blind! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You may want to talk to BBJ too...I'm sure he'll chime in here eventually :)

stephane
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
do you fish the river mainly within the city or on the outskirts, only place i have tried was an evening at the Genessee bridge with no luck to my name.

buckmaster
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm sure I can get ya out on the river somewhere sometime. As for lessons, particularly regarding the baitcaster with me it would be the blind leading the blind! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You may want to talk to BBJ too...I'm sure he'll chime in here eventually :)

X2, BBJ is the guy you would want to get lessons for baitcasting!

alodar
04-25-2011, 10:01 PM
X2, BBJ is the guy you would want to get lessons for baitcasting!

He casts further than me sitting down

stephane
04-25-2011, 11:01 PM
BBJ? BigBadJohn i assume?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-26-2011, 01:25 AM
For someone buying a set up for heavier types of fishing as your casting out larger baits , and potentially reeling in large fish .

You Want to get it in as fast as you can to minimize the amount of time that fish is under stress . With a Baitcaster the reel is more like a winch and can winch that fish in to get a quick picture and released as fast as you can .

I suggest a baitcaster with a 7 to 10 foot rod , medium heavy action , with no less them 50 lb line . Because remember your chucking out 3 to 6 oz of weight , plus now your wanting to reel in that fish . So not being shy isn't a bad thing .

The reason why I say Medium heavy is because you can see the bites , but have the muscle to bring that fish in . Now pair that up with a Baitcaster rated for 350 + - line capacity , and get it spooled with a dependable line .

Stephanie I just sent you a email there , so hopefully between a few of us we can get you into something that will land you a nice trophy to remember .

WayneChristie
04-26-2011, 07:19 AM
He casts further than me sitting down

guess you have to back up a bit :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Stephanie I just sent you a email there , so hopefully between a few of us we can get you into something that will land you a nice trophy to remember .

Pssst John - I think Stephane is a guy, and he isn't a Stephanie :lol: :thinking-006:

Fishfinder
04-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Pssst John - I think Stephane is a guy, and he isn't a Stephanie :lol: :thinking-006:

Teeheehee, I noticed that too:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Sure are alot of guys seem to be looking into wrangling a few sturg this year.

Any med-heavy rod will do fine IMO, and so my critics don't shoot me, 20# line or stronger will work fine as well, mono or braided, don't matter. I use a 7' Ugly and she works great, Shimano reel, upgraded to 17# line this year, should suffice just fine. Always keep a tight line and be ready, for when they see shore, they're gonna run.
Have Fun, let us know the set-up u go with.
Cheers n GL!

stephane
04-26-2011, 12:13 PM

That I am. But trust me, not the first time I've got that. :p

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-26-2011, 12:46 PM

That I am. But trust me, not the first time I've got that. :p

UMMMMMMMMMM WHOOPS Sorry Stephane Ill go burry my head in the sand now . :scared0018::scared0018::scared0018::scared0018:

stephane
04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
hahaha, now you owe me a lesson or two ;)